Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I love that they decided that Miis needed a live announcement and that Palutena deserved her own trailer, but FUCKING PAC-MAN was fine with an off-screen announcement with no trailer. He's not a legendary figure in the medium and a third-party character or anything, it's cool for them to just not show us this shit. Sakurai's also definitely not playing favorites, making an animated trailer about the stuff from his game while ignoring a gigantic reveal.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As cool as this is, (despite the shitty method) lets remind ourselves what contemporary Pac-Man looks and sounds like

Lets hope that voice doesn't end up that annoying in smash :d

(who am I kidding we had brawl pit and sonic)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It looks like Pacman has a random attack similar to GNW's hammer that cycles through powers based on different classics.

I noticed at least four:
  • Galaga
  • Digdug
  • Mappy
  • Xevious

The only concerning thing I see is what they said about dashing, but they didn't give any specifics aside from not being able to crouch cancel dashes, which wasn't in Brawl either.

edit: also that they destroyed Fox, but I already knew that.

Last edited:
Yeah, Pac-Man looks boss as fuck. Using just about every damn namco arcade game in a moveset is something to behold.

Also, does anyone recognize the theme in the background as an old remixed theme to some namco game or it just some generic piece?

Last edited:
Wow, it seems as though Pac-Man can spawn items. We all know how powerful the ability to spawn items is (Making Diddy and Peach much more viable), I actually wouldn't be surprised if Pac-Man's pretty good.

Also Game & Watch at the end of the trailer :O Do you guys feel as though he'll most likely be getting cut with the addition of Pac-Man, or do you think that may have been a hint to him actually staying?

Can we also talk for a sec about why the hell this was the trailer that was shown behind closed doors and the Palutena one was what ended the conference? I'm going through the exact "big-goofy-grin-on-face-and-can't-stop-watching-the-trailor" thing that happened when Mega Man was revealed. I'm hyped as all hell. The Palutena reveal was cool, but not the earth shattering announcement I was expecting. Meanwhile, Pac-Man wasn't the "oh, that's pretty cool" type of semi-minor character reveal (as minor as a smash character reveal can get anyway) from a press conference we had to wait on patiently for anything. I feel like swapping those two trailers would have been a bit more appropriate.

I wonder if there's a reason why Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising by Sora ltd. got the most E3 face time for Super Smash Bros. by Sora ltd.

Can we also talk for a sec about why the hell this was the trailer that was shown behind closed doors and the Palutena one was what ended the conference? I'm going through the exact "big-goofy-grin-on-face-and-can't-stop-watching-the-trailor" thing that happened when Mega Man was revealed. I'm hyped as all hell. The Palutena reveal was cool, but not the earth shattering announcement I was expecting. Meanwhile, Pac-Man wasn't the "oh, that's pretty cool" type of semi-minor character reveal (as minor as a smash character reveal can get anyway) from a press conference we had to wait on patiently for anything. I feel like swapping those two trailers would have been a bit more appropriate.
I disagree. Firstly, Palutena's trailer was great look-wise, and worked really well at getting me hyped. Secondly, Palutena as a character is awesome. Her personality is amazing, her relationship with Pit is amazing, her powers are amazing... Just such a cool character to have reviled. Meanwhile... We have Pac-Man. He's... cool. I guess. It's just that I feel as though no one has built any real "emotional bonds" to Pac-Man like characters such as Palutena, making it a lot harder to be as hyped about him coming in. Also, I don't know why you find Pac-Man an "earth-shattering" announcement, as a lot of people were talking about how he would most likely get a spot. I kinda already felt as though this thing had a really large chance of getting in. Idk, all I know is when I heard Palutena was coming in, I got pumped, but didn't really give a shit about Pac-Man joining.

no one has built any real "emotional bonds" to Pac-Man
<--

Also, I don't know why you find Pac-Man an "earth-shattering" announcement, as a lot of people were talking about how he would most likely get a spot. I kinda already felt as though this thing had a really large chance of getting in.
This can be said equally about Palutena, minus the skepticism about whether or not they'd work as a character

<--

This can be said equally about Palutena, minus the skepticism about how he wouldn't work as a character
I don't see how you can feel such an emotional bond to Pac-Man as you could to Palutena, even if he has been around for so much longer. The one in SSB4 isn't the one from the original game anyways, so the only thing you'd have to relate to are the spin-offs, which are pretty bad tbh...

Also I saw much more talk of Pac-Man than I did Palutena, mainly because there were a lot of possible Kid Icarus characters that could have possibly been added.

The arrow was implying that my avatar was my reaction to your questioning of how someone could be emotionally attached to a cultural icon that was very popular during many people's childhoods, not to me specifically. As for the "more discussion about Pac-Man than Palutena", that was because it was kind of an understood thing that many people thought Palutena would be in, but Pac-Man still had a solid group of skeptics to debate with.

The arrow was implying that my avatar was my reaction to your questioning of how someone could be emotionally attached to a cultural icon that was very popular during many people's childhoods, not to me specifically. As for the "more discussion about Pac-Man than Palutena", that was because it was kind of an understood thing that many people thought Palutena would be in, but Pac-Man still had a solid group of skeptics to debate with.
I understand the arrow lol. I'm just saying that while he's an extremely popular icon, I wouldn't call him something people get emotionally attached to do to the lack of, well, any real personality. I still find that Palutena is much easier to relate to / have an emotional attachment to because she has a personality (and a very good one at that)

Also I'm not really sure how Palutena was an "understood thing." I heard plenty of debates about Viridi and Magnus. Whether or not Palutena would be getting a spot was just as up in the air as Pac-Man imo.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
yes lets give VIRIDI a spot and not PALUTENA

as much as i fanboyed magnus, palutena was the fucking obvious number two from the game and if you thought it would be anyone else you're completely retarded. that is like expecting to see Adam Malkovich repping metroid before seeing Ridley

yes lets give VIRIDI a spot and not PALUTENA

as much as i fanboyed magnus, palutena was the fucking obvious number two from the game and if you thought it would be anyone else you're completely retarded. that is like expecting to see Adam Malkovich repping metroid before seeing Ridley
I'm just saying I saw plenty of debates for those characters joining, and I think a lot of people didn't feel as though Palutena was guaranteed over other characters. Though I do agree that Palutena was by far the most expected character of the bunch.

Honestly I have no idea how to design a moveset for pacman but I really want his final smash to be like whenever he eats the mega tictacs, then he eats everybody. Best final smash imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)