Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone who's complaining about single stage or even 2 stage Pokemon getting Mega forms. I recognize that the concept of a Mega Pokemon is that it is a Pokemon that had reach it's evolution limit and but can temporarily break that limit and reach new heights of power for a short time. And that makes it seem like once a Pokemon get's a Mega it's "locked in" to it's current level of evolution. But one thing to keep in mind, 2 years ago No One thought that Veunsaur, Charizard, Tyranitar or anything with in it's 3rd stage was ever going to see a higher form of power. I mean they were at "the limit" which can now be broken. So here we are now. Just becasue Mega Sableye implies Sableye has no alternative evolutions or forms doesn't mean we won't see entirely new methods of evolving and increasing weaker Pokemon's power some years down the road. Mega evolutions set a new "limit" so let's look froward to seeing how Mega Sableye will break that.
That's called power creep, and nobody I know who takes any kind of strategy game seriously is fond of it.

It's perfectly reasonable to "ask" for regular evolutions along with mega evolutions, and if they just keep churning out megas like this the metagame could become over-centralized on them, and I doubt anyone would want that either.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Mega Sableye is kinda cute :3

Looks like the Mega's aren't following the Trademark List anymore.
Good for not having Mega Plusle/ Minun! Wouldn't want to see that.
Jynx can also go cry in a corner.

I wouldn't rule it out, Cacturne seems to be on par with Manectric, Houndoom, and Abomasnow in terms of popularity.

No, Needle Arm isn't a punch, and Sucker Punch in Japanese is more along the lines of "Surprise Attack", as so also isn't considered a punch.

I just remember it having the same fist icon in it's battle animation that the elemental punches did. What a shame, on both counts.

That's called power creep, and nobody I know who takes any kind of strategy game seriously is fond of it.

It's perfectly reasonable to "ask" for regular evolutions along with mega evolutions, and if they just keep churning out megas like this the metagame could become over-centralized on them, and I doubt anyone would want that either.
Unlike other strategy games, hower, Pokemon is also updating some of its older Pokemon to keep up with the newer ones. Not the most efficient method, but it does show they are at least aware that new Pokemon are becoming stronger on average than old ones, and are taking some action to remedy that. I also doubt that the metagame will become any more centralized on Megas than it is currently; at the moment almost every competetive team runs a Mega (just as Game Freak intended, considering how strongly they advertised using Megas in battle), but the limit is also 1; without a major mechanics overhaul, each team will still have to run 5 non-Megas at minimum to have a full team of 6.

Lord Raiden said:
I thought Power Creep was the phenomena were Manectric is a good (or at least OK) Pokemon but then Gen IV creators are bias to their own Pokemon so they make everything just a little better than Manectric. Mega evolutions of "weak" Pokemon are more like a counter response to power creep. I hate Power creep which is why I like seeing my old favorites get Megas to keep up with those biasedly created IV and V gen guys.

That said I wasn't telling people to stop "asking" so much as I was pointing out that we shouldn't assume that something having a Mega form doesn't mean it'll never evolve in other ways.

Please, it's hard enough to realize that Kyogre will now likely piss at the Whole game (even more than before), we might not survive to 770 BST Mold Breaker Slaking.
That is horrifying.

poke marts out side pokemon center
NO!

While virtually every team does use a Mega, they can never over-centralize the meta as long as we are limited to 1 per team. In fact, the more Megas there are, the less likely one Mega will climb to the top (well, unless you just happen to be powerful, nostalgic, insanely popular design-wise, and was useless in previous gens).

My opinion on Mega Sableye: dang it, Game Freak, stop giving Pokémon I've already bred and trained for my fun Hoenn team Mega Evolutions!
Honestly, I like Sableye play style-wise the way it is. Prankster is one of my favorite abilities (I loved my Whimsicott I used while playing Black) and Sableye is good at it's job. Now, I'm willing to give Mega Sableye a chance (if the defensive increase is high enough and we keep Prankster, I will likely use it over Leftovers), but I still would rather something else.

Solrock and Lunatone!! YES!! In terms of the ratio of coolness to lack of competitive potential those guys have the largest ratio of pretty much all Pokemon. My running list of most desired Gen III megas: Flygon, Solrock, Lunatone, and Milotic (we all know Milotic will get one though, Gyarados did) the list is a little longer but I don't want to ask for too much. If I could only have 4 it'd be these.

My one other wish. Reliable recovery moves get add to the Regi's movepools.

I think Gamefreak values flavor over competitiveness, as it has demonstrated many time over (not that it hasn't been paying attention to competitiveness recently, but flavor is still the main point). Some Pokemon are just meant to remain single- or two-staged, and Mega Evolutions are meant to keep them viable without ruining that flavor aspect. I'm not saying that they should replace real evolutions, but the way Gamefreak seems to be headed, most Pokemon families that already exist to them already are "finished", and will likely be given Mega Evolutions rather than real ones as a result.

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Hmm, I guess M-Sableye kinda explains M-Mawile's existence. Maybe they didn't get time to add it in X/Y?
Oh god, not Poke-center and Pokemart being separated again...

Also, I hope they start pumping out events for X/Y in the next few months :P we haven't received anything special in english.

3RD gen is like the gen of useless pokes, if there are a lot more megas, they better be for crappy mons and not salamence metagross like everyone suggests

RASFA

Banned deucer.
well i do not think there will be too many more megas because how are they going to work with x and y the more megas they put in the more x and y players will not play x andy for wifi battles any more due to x and y and omgea ruby people will play that more with new megas so i think this is going to change people over to the remakes for wifi battles also i cannnot see a patch happing because its not easy to patch x and y and it may lag more due to reading data off sd card

While I agree that it's cool to give the useless mons a new lease of life, I find it more exciting to see the strong mons becoming more viable once more though I guess that's just me. Sala, Meta and Milo are all kind of phasing out which is kinda sad especially when they all used to be top notch standard mons and were hugely popular.

RASFA

Banned deucer.
i still do not know how a patch for x and y works because what about people that do not have internet that want to play a firend with oras they cannot battle also do not be confused i mean a local match at a firends house with oras and x and y some people do not have wifi so if they cannot patch the games they can.t play together so what do you guys think how it will work if not every one has internet they can.t patch there games if they do not have internet which means he cannot go to his firends house and battle his firend who only has oras. what im thinking is oras will have patch on game card so if you link it with an x and y it auto updates it

3RD gen is like the gen of useless pokes, if there are a lot more megas, they better be for crappy mons and not salamence metagross like everyone suggests
No that's Gen 2. Gen 3 has a lot more useful mons than Gen 2. While there's not that many OU these days from either; there's a lot more UU Gen 3's than Gen 2's. And more Ubers, for that matter.

I mean... Gen 2 has... Skarmory and Tyranitar and Blissey and that's about it in terms of pokemon that can be used in OU. Gen 3 has Latios; Latias; Jirachi; Salamence; Mawile [Well; Mega Mawile], Sableye itself; and Blaziken is booted to Ubers. And that's not counting things like Adaptabilty Crawdaunt which can be used perfectly well in OU but isn't that often due to being niche.

Also; I feel like pointing this out:

Sableye is a Sapphire exclusive
Mega Sableye clearly has rubies for eyes and it's 'sheild'.
Sableye's Mega Stone will be in the opposite version. Mawile is probobly the same.

I know the trailer says 'Mega Stone obtained in both games' but the thing is we've already had trailers claiming this is a NEW REGION when it's not. It's Hoenn. So, yeah, I wouldn't trust the words in trailers; they've lied before.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just had a thought regarding Mega Sableye and the possibility of a defensive ability... what if it got some sort of ability that gives it an immunity to a certain group of moves, kind of like Bulletproof? (Which is an interesting option for an existing ability it could get, come to think...)

If we have a look at the description that came with the video:

"It is said that Mega Sableye uses the jewel as a powerful defensive tool in battle. From behind the shelter of the jewel, it can readily exploit the opponent’s weaknesses and take advantage of any openings. It is said that the jewel hardens into such strength that no attack can even make a scratch!"
The last sentence in particular is the one to take note of. What kind of damage it will protect from is a matter for debate: I think we can all agree that Wonder Guard would be too OP by far (not ruling it out though), so making it immune to, say, contact moves would give it a massive defensive buff and also make it extremely effective against physical threats that rely on making contact. Two of the six available Fairy attacks at the moment make contact (Play Rough and Draining Kiss), and one is physical... just something to consider.

Now that I think about it, Bulletproof would be a really legitimate ability to give to Mega Sableye. It's an existing ability that was released recently, and it fits very well with Sableye's flavour - Game Freak may be interested in giving the ability some more coverage. The gem shield is described as being very hard (capable of stopping bullets!) and would very easily make Sableye completely immune to attacks like Bullet Seed and Shadow Ball.

(Also, it would make Sableye a hard stop to practically every special-attacking Ghost in the game, especially Aegislash, as it soaks up their nuke STAB and can hit back hard. read: Foul Play and Knock Off.)

i still do not know how a patch for x and y works because what about people that do not have internet that want to play a firend with oras they cannot battle also do not be confused i mean a local match at a firends house with oras and x and y some people do not have wifi so if they cannot patch the games they can.t play together so what do you guys think how it will work if not every one has internet they can.t patch there games if they do not have internet which means he cannot go to his firends house and battle his firend who only has oras. what im thinking is oras will have patch on game card so if you link it with an x and y it auto updates it
Haha I think you should chill about this. I'm sure GF will find some way to make things work like how it always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)