Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Toon link confirmed if its not been said yet
Pretty sure he was confirmed in September 2013.

Also, no Best Buys near my area so I have to sit this one out. I'd love to see people try Rosalina and see why the people invited to the Smash Invitational ranked her so low. It would be a shame if she had no kill potential even with a powerful tool such as Luma.

Ugh I got bodied by the wiiu pro controller button placement

Also the "best ness in kentucky" may know "legit combos" but he clearly had problems with advanced tooth brushing tech

edit: people are doing detailed analysis so I'll do Marth
In general his gameplay feels sluggish and floaty compared to previously
  • jab relatively unchanged, still not very useful
  • f-tilt and d-tilt are pretty much the same, probably his best pokes/spacing tools
  • u-tilt nerfed: noticeably slower startup and not enough hitsun for guaranteed followups (unless potentially on fastfallers at specific %)
  • f-smash is much slower but tippering is fairly easy and it's a workable kill move ignoring the speed
  • didn't use upsmash or down smash
  • neutral air is about the same as brawl, nice speed, range, and very little landing lag
  • forward air was hit pretty hard, it's slower, you're not getting any followups, and it has more landing lag than you'd expect
  • back air is nice, probably the best aerial in terms of speed and range with little landing lag. I forgot to check if you can pivot jump to make best use of it
  • up air got the same treatment up tilt did: slower startup, laggier ending, little combo potential
  • down air still spikes pretty well but much slower startup. still no ken combos
  • dash attack got buffed, but nerfs to dashing in general make it questionable
  • I never attempted shield breaker but from some footage it definitely got buffed, unchanged shield breaker is a nice quick poke on the ground or in the air
  • Dancing blade looks really good, no couch canceling means it's a lot safer to throw out and it will probably be the go to kill move with f-smash nerf
  • Dolphin slash is about the same in terms of recovery but the hitbox behind Marth is gone, meaning turnaround up b whiffs and you can't get the guaranteed tipper anymore. Pretty significant nerf.
  • Counter is still counter. Way too punishable to even be seen outside of specific situations
  • Noticeable boost to grab range (although not quite Melee range I think) is undermined by the fact that it seems impossible to get any combo or regrab. This is probably the biggest nerf Marth got and changes his character dynamic

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the tournament vid Runic, I was just able to sit down and watch it today. I'm so damn pumped for this game.

This proves that the regginator is still a BAMF

Edit: official count is around 220, shows what I know. We're doing 2 2-minute FFA matches each.
so we waited around an hour, bailed, saw a movie, and came back around 3 hours later and our "spot" in line still hadn't played yet. game looked fun, but not THAT fun.

apologies to anyone else that waited that long, hope you guys got to play and that it was worth it haha

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Observations:

Bowser's new hitboxes and power are real (Bowser is also significantly faster when running. No more "crouch tank")
Giga Bowser is the Final Smash and directly ports in the Melee / Brawl GB design. Giga Bowser also > Yellow Devil [played on Wily Castle in the match I used Bowser.] (No seriously, Giga Bowser is literally TWICE the size of Yellow Devil, without a mushroom or anything. The transformation also lasts a long time, like 40 seconds or so.)
Bowsercide is still a thing.

Played Samus for a bit but WiiPro controllers have very bad relative button placement for Smash. Downtilt appears noticably stronger, Screw Attack has the same basic mechanics (including launch mechanic) as Little Mac's Rising Uppercut (Up+B), but moves more laterally. Wasn't able to test much since Samus NEEDS decent experience with the controls to kind of flesh out what she can do.

Best Buy is bad at running events like this. I got there slightly before 4:00pm and got to play at 8:00pm. They had only one console, and no TVs with a feed so you could watch ongoing games while you wait. Worth every minute of waiting, though. The game is very fast paced, every character moves fluidly has a legit jumping height. You also *know* when you are getting launched and it appears that launches won't let you DI until the "Launch" is over.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I decided going to my Best Buy at 4 was a good idea.

The line was so long that if you got in line at that point you weren't going to be able to play before the thing shut down. They had people at the front literally turning people away.

Infinite suffering

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Went to the Deptford, NJ Smashfest Event. Probably around 400-600 people in attendance. Unfortunately, due to the size, we were limited to just one two-minute match on the Wii U per person. Fortunately, I ended up going to high school with one of the two workers walking around with the 3DS version, so got to try Smash Run not once, but twice (including a match against the computers on the second run). That means 10+ minutes with the 3DS version. Here are my takeaways:

General Gameplay:
  • Definitely somewhere in between Brawl and Melee speed-wise. Not too surprising, this was reported by many and was quite evident through video. It's definitely something you need to try out for yourself though. Can't adequately explain it through words.
  • Characters feel very different. They feel...heavier. It's kind of odd to explain, since it's not like Melee's "heavy" where most characters fell fast. Characters were moving fast, but their attacks and movements had a bit of slug to them. Emphasizes power.
  • Lots of forced lag. Lag on aerial recoveries hitting the ground, lag between aerial moves when hitting the ground, etc. Hard to throw out random short hops and aerials now. Probably a good thing, easier to punish people returning to stage.
  • You can tell that the goal here balance-wise was to take what Brawl had and fix it, rather than create something new or revert back to older standards. IMO, it works well, but I personally liked Brawl, so Melee fans may not be as keen. I have a good feeling that Melee players will be quicker to adapt, but Brawl players will ultimately feel more comfortable with these physics. Both will need to adjust though.
  • The stages are huge. Played Pilotwings mostly, and it seems that most stages have huge spaces outside of the major platform. Easier to knock people off at low damages, but you have to hit people further to actually score KO's. Perhaps this is stage dependent, but it seemed to be the case for most areas.
  • Take all of this with a grain of salt, since these were FFA's and included items, which changes the game completely. That said, it was generally very fun!
Smash Run
  • Smash Run...seems really easy. I don't know if there eventually will be a difficulty setting, but I sure hope there is. I went through twice, first with Pit and second with Greninja. Pit did well, but Greninja absolutely tore it up without getting hit most of the time. My character reactions are a little bit later on.
  • I saw Sneaky Spirit as an enemy. That's a Rhythm Heaven character. THE PROPHECY CONTINUES... [That said, extremely hard to damage Sneaky Spirit directly. You need to throw it.]
  • Other than that, characters that I saw that might be new include Gastly. Looks like it's hard to use physical attacks against it, so projectiles may be the answer. There's this giant rock creature that often appeared as a boss-type enemy (apparently Puush-It?). Gave out a ton of power ups.
  • Ran across three different hidden doors. Two had "Break the Crystals", one had a room full of recovery items. Break the Crystals gave out quite a few items and power ups.
  • On my second run, the guy running the 3DS let me go on a bit longer than the other players (as noted above), so got to play the three computer players. One was Toon Link, which is neat because he isn't selectable for the demo. The computers must have been set low, though, as they barely attacked.
  • After winning the Smash Run and the match after, I was given a choice of prizes - custom moves for certain characters! I got to choose between a new Up + B for Mario and a new Side + B for Greninja. I used Greninja during this run.
Pit
  • I mained Pit in Brawl, so no surprise that I chose to use him for my one and only Wii U match. I also used him for my first time in Smash Run.
  • Pit feels completely different and reworked from his Brawl iteration. His normals and aerials are definitely buffed, and he's a powerful multi-hit and zoning abuser, but his intangibles seem a bit...clunkier. Slow on the turnaround speed, and his landing lag seems tremendous. Pit players are going to have to toy around with him to see if he still matches their playstyle, but he'll be a strong contender.
  • Arrows have changed drastically. They are slow. At one point, I swear I was cheering for the arrow to finally catch up to its target. In return, though, the arrow's control has greatly increased. It was like "threading a needle" control. Very precise. Excellent zoning tool, much less effective as a spammable projectile. Can't just hammer out arrows.
  • Pit's recovery can be described as "very good". Definitely balanced. It has an incredible distance, but its flexibility is very stiff. Once you pick a direction, you probably won't be able to change from that trajectory much. Kind of like a more rigid ExtremeSpeed with greater distance.
  • Pit's Side B, his Upperdash Arm, is great. This was definitely designed to be a KO tool.
  • Pit's Down B, his Guardian Orbiters, seem great as well. Unfortunately, was never in the position to use them correctly. They do not appear to damage people, however.
  • Pit's Smash attacks remain relatively the same, but slightly improved hitboxes. His Up Smash in particular looks to have an arcing hitbox, so it can hit characters to the left and right of Pit. It's much more effective.
  • Pit's Tilts are improved. More powerful, faster.
  • Pit's AAA combo now has a finisher at the end of his continuous string, much like all characters with a continuous AAA alternative. Not surprising.
  • Pit's Aerials focus on multi-hits, besides his DAir. FAir has changed to a multi-hit spinning weapon attack, much like his UAir but horizontal. BAir seems to have a greater hitbox, but the timing has changed slightly.
Greninja
  • Since we were only limited to one Wii U match, I was only able to play as Greninja for a Smash Run. That said, during my match I also played against a Greninja, so there's that.
  • Greninja is FAST. Great mobility, great running speed, high jumps, will be easy to jet around stages with. Hard to catch, very slippery. I have a feeling that we're looking at a potential higher tier character right now.
  • Greninja's moves are fast. Also, great reach. Fast fall. If there's a weakness, it's that he's light and easy to knock around...if you can catch him.
  • Smash moves have great knockback. UAir has surprisingly fast start-up, somewhat laggy finish but not too slow. All three Smash attacks have KO potential.
  • Water Shuriken is okay. Looks like it's a good tool to use against people trying to recover, but fully charged Shurikens will be a bit risky in 1 V 1 play. Kind of just...sits there.
  • Substitute is a fine counter move. Not much to add.
  • Shadow Sneak seems like a very good chase-down/punish move for people trying to charge up or zone. Could be used creatively in combos.
  • Aqua Jet (?), his Up Special, is a lot like Pikachu's Quick Attack. I'd say it has a tiny bit more distance, but the timing on the zags are a bit more strict. Great recovery move.
  • His aerials are ridiculous. DAir is probably the best aerial in the game. Fast, good recovery, bounces off of targets when contact is made (sending him as high as when the attack first started). BAir is a double kick move with good range and speed. Every other move is fantastic.
I'll also try to remember other things if you have questions!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
stood in best buy for five hours, didn't get to touch a smash bro. they had us mark down our names if we didnt get to play so im priority on saturday. nintendo needs to be less shitty at these events in the future (multiple tvs please)

Pic of the day. The goddess is up to bat for the Home-run Contest, a returning mini-game on the 3DS version! It's been streamlined with added features here and there, like sturdier glass and doubled speed for long hits. You can also have fun comparing your rankings for this mini-game with your Global Smash Power.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
stood in best buy for five hours, didn't get to touch a smash bro. they had us mark down our names if we didnt get to play so im priority on saturday. nintendo needs to be less shitty at these events in the future (multiple tvs please)
I was thinking Nintendo going along with maybe the rest of the game industry for once.

Other companies are doing digital download demos for good reason: avoiding this kind of mess.

At least when the server is overloaded and you have to wait 5 hours for the download, you get more than 2 minutes of playtime.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Since Miis were announced, I made Miis of FDR, Hitler, Stalin, and Churchill to have the ultimate World War II Brawl!
Consider yourself lucky. I live in a bum fuck small town and there's not a participating Best Buy for miles.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Consider yourself lucky. I live in a bum fuck small town and there's not a participating Best Buy for miles.
Consider YOURSELF lucky, I live in buttfuck (even more remote than bum fuck), went to the nearest best buy with it anyways, and STILL didn't get to play. At least you didn't waste hours of your time and not even get on the priority list for Saturday.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Consider YOURSELF lucky, I live in buttfuck (even more remote than bum fuck), went to the nearest best buy with it anyways, and STILL didn't get to play. At least you didn't waste hours of your time and not even get on the priority list for Saturday.
Pro-tip: The start time of the event is never the start-time for the line to the event. My strong recommendation for Saturday is to show up at opening time for the store, which may mean 9 or 10am.

btw. HOME RUN CONTEST CONFIRMED.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Was #70 at the Midway/LBJ Best Buy in Texas, and it's a good thing too since there were easily at least 500 people in line behind me. More than 1 TV is definitely something that Nintendo needs to look into in the future. THAT BEING SAID, Little Mac is absurdly powerful if you can manage to avoid the air at all costs, and the KO punch is really satisfying to land.

Villager felt awkward to me, but maybe I'm just bad. I also completely whiffed with the raccoon mafia, much to my chagrin.

Overall: A+ game

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Pit
  • I mained Pit in Brawl, so no surprise that I chose to use him for my one and only Wii U match. I also used him for my first time in Smash Run.
  • Pit feels completely different and reworked from his Brawl iteration. His normals and aerials are definitely buffed, and he's a powerful multi-hit and zoning abuser, but his intangibles seem a bit...clunkier. Slow on the turnaround speed, and his landing lag seems tremendous. Pit players are going to have to toy around with him to see if he still matches their playstyle, but he'll be a strong contender.
  • Arrows have changed drastically. They are slow. At one point, I swear I was cheering for the arrow to finally catch up to its target. In return, though, the arrow's control has greatly increased. It was like "threading a needle" control. Very precise. Excellent zoning tool, much less effective as a spammable projectile. Can't just hammer out arrows.
  • Pit's recovery can be described as "very good". Definitely balanced. It has an incredible distance, but its flexibility is very stiff. Once you pick a direction, you probably won't be able to change from that trajectory much. Kind of like a more rigid ExtremeSpeed with greater distance.
  • Pit's Side B, his Upperdash Arm, is great. This was definitely designed to be a KO tool.
  • Pit's Down B, his Guardian Orbiters, seem great as well. Unfortunately, was never in the position to use them correctly. They do not appear to damage people, however.
  • Pit's Smash attacks remain relatively the same, but slightly improved hitboxes. His Up Smash in particular looks to have an arcing hitbox, so it can hit characters to the left and right of Pit. It's much more effective.
  • Pit's AAA combo now has a finisher at the end of his continuous string, much like all characters with a continuous AAA alternative. Not surprising.
  • Pit's Aerials focus on multi-hits, besides his DAir. FAir has changed to a multi-hit spinning weapon attack, much like his UAir but horizontal. BAir seems to have a greater hitbox, but the timing has changed slightly.
Oh man, what the hell did they do to my Pit ;-; HE IS SO DIFFERENT AND THE THINGS I LOVE ABOUT HIM ARE GONE ;A;

I did get to play as Pit during the demo and the arrows and recovery take some serious getting used to -.- I came in dead last when I tried to use him in battle :(

Also I've heard reports that wave bouncing is back. Can anyone confirm? I put a few too hours into learning how to wavebounce and do freaky shit with rob's specials and I'd prefer if I could still do that :V

Went to the Deptford, NJ Smashfest Event. Probably around 400-600 people in attendance. Unfortunately, due to the size, we were limited to just one two-minute match on the Wii U per person. Fortunately, I ended up going to high school with one of the two workers walking around with the 3DS version, so got to try Smash Run not once, but twice (including a match against the computers on the second run). That means 10+ minutes with the 3DS version. Here are my takeaways:

General Gameplay:
  • Definitely somewhere in between Brawl and Melee speed-wise. Not too surprising, this was reported by many and was quite evident through video. It's definitely something you need to try out for yourself though. Can't adequately explain it through words.
  • Characters feel very different. They feel...heavier. It's kind of odd to explain, since it's not like Melee's "heavy" where most characters fell fast. Characters were moving fast, but their attacks and movements had a bit of slug to them. Emphasizes power.
  • Lots of forced lag. Lag on aerial recoveries hitting the ground, lag between aerial moves when hitting the ground, etc. Hard to throw out random short hops and aerials now. Probably a good thing, easier to punish people returning to stage.
  • You can tell that the goal here balance-wise was to take what Brawl had and fix it, rather than create something new or revert back to older standards. IMO, it works well, but I personally liked Brawl, so Melee fans may not be as keen. I have a good feeling that Melee players will be quicker to adapt, but Brawl players will ultimately feel more comfortable with these physics. Both will need to adjust though.
  • The stages are huge. Played Pilotwings mostly, and it seems that most stages have huge spaces outside of the major platform. Easier to knock people off at low damages, but you have to hit people further to actually score KO's. Perhaps this is stage dependent, but it seemed to be the case for most areas.
  • Take all of this with a grain of salt, since these were FFA's and included items, which changes the game completely. That said, it was generally very fun!
Smash Run
  • Smash Run...seems really easy. I don't know if there eventually will be a difficulty setting, but I sure hope there is. I went through twice, first with Pit and second with Greninja. Pit did well, but Greninja absolutely tore it up without getting hit most of the time. My character reactions are a little bit later on.
  • I saw Sneaky Spirit as an enemy. That's a Rhythm Heaven character. THE PROPHECY CONTINUES... [That said, extremely hard to damage Sneaky Spirit directly. You need to throw it.]
  • Other than that, characters that I saw that might be new include Gastly. Looks like it's hard to use physical attacks against it, so projectiles may be the answer. There's this giant rock creature that often appeared as a boss-type enemy (apparently Puush-It?). Gave out a ton of power ups.
  • Ran across three different hidden doors. Two had "Break the Crystals", one had a room full of recovery items. Break the Crystals gave out quite a few items and power ups.
  • On my second run, the guy running the 3DS let me go on a bit longer than the other players (as noted above), so got to play the three computer players. One was Toon Link, which is neat because he isn't selectable for the demo. The computers must have been set low, though, as they barely attacked.
  • After winning the Smash Run and the match after, I was given a choice of prizes - custom moves for certain characters! I got to choose between a new Up + B for Mario and a new Side + B for Greninja. I used Greninja during this run.
Pit
Greninja
  • Since we were only limited to one Wii U match, I was only able to play as Greninja for a Smash Run. That said, during my match I also played against a Greninja, so there's that.
  • Greninja is FAST. Great mobility, great running speed, high jumps, will be easy to jet around stages with. Hard to catch, very slippery. I have a feeling that we're looking at a potential higher tier character right now.
  • Greninja's moves are fast. Also, great reach. Fast fall. If there's a weakness, it's that he's light and easy to knock around...if you can catch him.
  • Smash moves have great knockback. UAir has surprisingly fast start-up, somewhat laggy finish but not too slow. All three Smash attacks have KO potential.
  • Water Shuriken is okay. Looks like it's a good tool to use against people trying to recover, but fully charged Shurikens will be a bit risky in 1 V 1 play. Kind of just...sits there.
  • Substitute is a fine counter move. Not much to add.
  • Shadow Sneak seems like a very good chase-down/punish move for people trying to charge up or zone. Could be used creatively in combos.
  • Aqua Jet (?), his Up Special, is a lot like Pikachu's Quick Attack. I'd say it has a tiny bit more distance, but the timing on the zags are a bit more strict. Great recovery move.
  • His aerials are ridiculous. DAir is probably the best aerial in the game. Fast, good recovery, bounces off of targets when contact is made (sending him as high as when the attack first started). BAir is a double kick move with good range and speed. Every other move is fantastic.
I'll also try to remember other things if you have questions!
Thats pretty awesome to hear about greninja, as I had my mind set on maining him as soon as he was announced. Is the uncharged shuriken any good to use you think? Sorta like lucario does with his aura sphere to zone n shit.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Been hearing mixed things about this game: some say it's the best thing ever, some say it's Brawl 2.0, others think it's the death of Smash Bros. Those of you who have played the demos, what do you think (aside from obvious hype)? Do you think it's going in the right direction?

As an aside, this game looks amazing and Greninja looks really cool to play as. :]

Almost all of the people freaking out about how it's "Brawl 2.0" are pretty obviously only doing it because dash dancing was deconfirmed. They say they don't want Melee 2.0, but then one thing is like Brawl and they flip their shit and start saying Nintendo literally hates them again. Glide Tossing and DACUSing were all deconfirmed as well, but you don't see Brawl players throwing tantrums and swearing vengeance on the people who made their favorite game.

Also, Magnus confirmed assist trophy:

I'm sad now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)