Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

It's absolutely not the death of smash. Sakurai envisions a different path for smash to take, though, and unfortunately for the competitive minority, it caters to more casual gamers. Looking at what the competitive players said, though, it is very apparent that a lot of important movement options were removed (you can no longer dash->crouch so dashing into tilts is impossible, there's no dash dancing, etc) and that all moves have a ton of lag. The game seems to focus a lot more on just landing stray hits and smashing at high percentages.

Don't have a problem with the way the game is going. While I am somewhat disappointed we won't have our "melee 2.0," it was quite apparent from the start that Nintendo wanted to stray away from a melee sort of game. It's upsetting to see melee fans cry about smash 4's status as a "brawl 2.0"; it only serves to divide the community even more. I do hope that during the 6 months we have from now until official release that the dev team decides to add more movement options, though. I saw a reddit post that I wholeheartedly agree with that explains the only fundamental problem with smash 4 that I currently see: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/27ywjs/what_people_want_isnt_melee_again_its_what_melee/

(If you choose to read the article, make sure you read the neogaf post that comes with it.)

However, regarding the "death of smash," realistically Nintendo will still sell a ridiculous amount of copies regardless of how the mechanics are given that the vast majority of smashers do not know about the competitive scene.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
there's also a reason so many people play melee. there is really no need to hate. Would you be actively offended if smash 4 included a crouch out of run option, or momentum carried into jumps? It is really something that can only do the game good.

It's upsetting to see melee fans cry about smash 4's status as a "brawl 2.0"; it only serves to divide the community even more.
this whole situation reminds me of CS 1.6/CSS/CS:GO. 1.6 (melee) players basically refused to budge from their game as CSS (brawl) and CSGO (4) were revealed/released. the only way CSGO is still alive today is because the 1.6 players eventually got over it because csgo turned out well and the scene would completely die if they didn't.

i can see the scene dying regardless of how stubborn melee/PM players are simply because people in the fighting game community are gonna treat playing a 13 year old game as a joke, regardless of how much money for charity the community might raise.

there's also a reason so many people play melee. there is really no need to hate. Would you be actively offended if smash 4 included a crouch out of run option, or momentum carried into jumps? It is really something that can only do the game good.
I don't think those are bad things, I'm just saying that those things aren't literally the only good part of Smash. The game can (and most likely will) be great without these things, and the people going completely apeshit because they're still gone are being ridiculous.

Something interesting, zero is doing an ama on reddit. This question and respond really stood out as interesting
Mithost said:
4) The main topic of the subreddit (and the smash community in general) quickly shifted into a debate about Smash 4. Threads about the game's mechanics, state of development, and overall quality have been popping up every few minutes. I know from playing it a bunch at the Best Buy events that you need to play the game before you can really judge it, and that it feels much better than it looks from just watching it. IGN has even spent a large portion of their discussion on the game talking about the competitive scene's complaints, opinions, and requests. What do you feel about all of this? Did you like the game? Do you see a future for it in it's current state?
Zero said:
4) I REALLY love the game and I see so much potential for it to be the next eSport. In fact, after the invitational I discovered a 60-70% combo with Zero Suit Samus. Sweet, right?!? So much potential.
Zero's a fan of it and the impression the asker had at least made it seem a lot more fluid to play than to watch. That's fairly interesting.

Edit: Also, Zero has some "hype" announcement to talk about during his AMA he has yet to reveal. I guess hover over that? Possibly related is this question left on prog's ask.fm where he hung up the phone when asked about nintendo and project m to be announced tomorrow (today now).

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Been hearing mixed things about this game: some say it's the best thing ever, some say it's Brawl 2.0, others think it's the death of Smash Bros. Those of you who have played the demos, what do you think (aside from obvious hype)? Do you think it's going in the right direction?

As an aside, this game looks amazing and Greninja looks really cool to play as. :]
How is it going to be the death of Smash? Thats laughable. "filthy casuals" are probably 95% of the playerbase with a game like Smash... It seels exceptionally well. If you mean death in terms of tournies, it was heading that way anyway even before Sm4sh was announced.

I think the game looks stunning and I like the direction its moving in. Very sad Europe is not getting ANY play events (think yourselves lucky even with BestBuy doing a shitty job), and I would love to play this properly with some other people rather than watch all the cool videos which are coming out.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thats pretty awesome to hear about greninja, as I had my mind set on maining him as soon as he was announced. Is the uncharged shuriken any good to use you think? Sorta like lucario does with his aura sphere to zone n shit.
Uncharged Shuriken are okay. I would say, though, that the hitstun/pushback a zero charged Shuriken does is very small, though, as is the damage. It's not super fast either. It'll be used as an annoyance that alters how enemies will approach Greninja, but I wouldn't say they're one of the better projectiles in the game.
Say DarkSlay I've seen some really massive normal jumps out of greninja, but how large was his short hop if you can remember?
I'd say the short hop was somewhere in between half and 2/3'rds of the height of Greninja's normal jump, which is extremely good. IIRC, I was able to quickly short jump into BAir without much landing lag, something that at this time not many characters can boast. I've seen Greninja described as "the speed of Sheik with the aerial mobility of Falco", and that's not too far off of what impressions I got.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I despise melee almost as much as runic but I'd sure love crouch from run ;_; Something about the fast falling makes it seem like the high gravity areas from other m or that I'm watching the game in fast-forward mode

I'd love dacus too, though...

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This close to release last time, what characters e3 hidden? Have captain falcon/ness ever been confirmed in any smash game beforehand? I'm just trying to charge gauge what we've not seen yet

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I remember with Brawl the hidden characters weren't revealed until a few weeks before launch I believe, and even then they were spoiler tagged on the website.

The Smash Dojo website never revealed the entire cast of characters, even after the game was released. A small handful of characters (I can definitely remember it including Wolf and ROB) were not known to be in the game until it was leaked only a couple days before Brawl was released in Japan.

I can't remember how accurate this is, but this article claims that only 24 (+ Sheik) characters were known by the time Brawl launched in Japan. The remaining characters (some of which were announced on the English Dojo website) include Wolf, Lucario, ROB, Toon Link, Ness, Capt. Falcon, Falco, Marth, Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, and Game & Watch. Every other character announced was included on the starting roster, with the exception of Sonic and Snake.

I'd say it's likely we have something similar happen with Smash 4, with a lot of question marks going in to launch day. Hopefully, if there are any dramatic cuts, Sakurai clears the air by announcing them ahead of time.

I remember with Brawl the hidden characters weren't revealed until a few weeks before launch I believe, and even then they were spoiler tagged on the website.
Moreso, no unlockable characters beyond sonic and snake were revealed until the japanese launch of the game. Once Japan got it, he started revealing spoilered unlockable content starting roughly in order of how you'd unlock it (starting with Ness, ending with Wolf). He was maybe 2/3 of the way done revealing this content when Brawl launched in the US (I think he was on G&W). Don't have a source for this beyond my memory of how this played out six years ago.

If that's anything to go by, I'd say we can expect everything we've gotten so far to be on the starting roster and for a decent amount of unlockable characters to be left. To be honest, ever since they announced luigi, Toon Link, and Lucario, I was scared this interaction of smash wouldn't have any unlockable characters. I guess that's best for being able to play with everything right out of the box, but nothing chilled my spine more than seeing that "warning, challenger approaching" screen when I was little and seeing a character I knew !_!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
got to skip the line and play today :D

planned to play as Donkey Kong because i was intrigued at ZeRo saying he was the best, then as Greninja because he looked like the best newcomer. But i won the first round as DK so i stuck with him. I was too busy grappling with the controls (my own controller setup uses L to jump) to pay attention to the feel of the game overall, but here were my impressions of DK:
  • NOTICEABLY faster than in brawl. can't even be classified as a slow character, he's got middling speed now
  • Still has laggy aerials but if everyone else does too then that is less of a problem than it would otherwise be
  • really heavy, he lived a smash at like 130% on battlefield
  • got a smash ball too~ the final smash is really easy to pull off with the rhythm meter it's like if ddr had one type of arrow and it always fell at the same interval. but its still mediocre
  • good fast tilts
  • impossible to land smashes but they all have ridiculous ko power
so basically it's the same DK as in brawl but he's a little faster. it mostly seems like the changes to the metagame around him are really favorable than that he himself was buffed. I definitely think he's one of the better characters, but I don't think he's the best.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't recall them mentioning anything about the FPS in the 3DS version. Did they say it won't be a problem? Can someone clarify this for me?

I don't recall them mentioning anything about the FPS in the 3DS version. Did they say it won't be a problem? Can someone clarify this for me?
Native 60 FPS for the fighters, in both 2D and 3D.

To do this, the assist trophies/Pokemon/backgrounds for the stages will all run at 30 FPS, but the game is said to run incredibly smoothly on the system.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Alright, thanks!

I was asking because the only game I've experienced FPS troubles during 3D was Pokemon X during the Mega Evolution animation. So I wonder if such a huge game like this would have problems, but, guess not. (It also could be the 3DS I own, I did buy it used)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one.
This looks really promising for me, I loved playing Marth and his glorious disjointed hitbox. Should be fun to choose one projectile to mix up my playstyle. I suppose you could go projectile heavy too but we already have Link for that no need to copy too much there. Please have a tipper Mii Swordsman.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus

This looks really promising for me, I loved playing Marth and his glorious disjointed hitbox. Should be fun to choose one projectile to mix up my playstyle. I suppose you could go projectile heavy too but we already have Link for that no need to copy too much there. Please have a tipper Mii Swordsman.
hnng

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)