Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Sorry to bother, but can I get some tips on spriting in the BW style? I just need maybe a couple tidbits, then I can go off on my own and try to rework the whole thing.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
MEGA SCEPTILE SPRITES ARE NOT FINAL.

Mega Sceptile created from the original BW Sceptile with DP Sceptile's hands. I plan to make the head turn back, again he faces backwards. I have't figured out how to make the tail or legs on the "back" sprite. Help is recommended. But I want some feed back first.

MEGA SCEPTILE SPRITES ARE NOT FINAL.

Mega Sceptile created from the original BW Sceptile with DP Sceptile's hands. I plan to make the head turn back, again he faces backwards. I haven't figured out how to make the tail or legs on the "back" sprite. Help is recommended. But I want some feed back first.
If I may, I suggest you don't use the back sprite at all, or at most just for parts.

First off, even if it is facing backwards, try to look behind you while standing bolt upright: you can't see much and its uncomfortable. Sceptile will at least want to rotate his torso slightly or it will look unnatural, and his head turning will end up facing directly away from the camera. So, you'd want to redraw the entire upper torso.

Secondly, the shading doesn't work. The light source in pokemon is directly above the battlefield... somehow, so the back sprite and front sprite will need their shading swapped.

This leaves the shape of the lower torso as the only part of the original sprites which are viable for use, and even so I think they'd want to be in a more dynamic position.

Tyrell D. Barnes: Just by googling you can find tutorials. Here's one I know of: http://the-godlings-rapture.deviantart.com/art/Spriting-Fakemon-Tutorial-V-3-280927794

Anyway, since I regret not helping earlier with XY's sprites I'll try and jump in with ORAS when the time comes. I have a sprite of Primal Groudon already, though it's innacurate as I made it before we had decent references. In the mean time, is the reservation doc up to date?

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
If I may, I suggest you don't use the back sprite at all, or at most just for parts.

First off, even if it is facing backwards, try to look behind you while standing bolt upright: you can't see much and its uncomfortable. Sceptile will at least want to rotate his torso slightly or it will look unnatural, and his head turning will end up facing directly away from the camera. So, you'd want to redraw the entire upper torso.

Secondly, the shading doesn't work. The light source in pokemon is directly above the battlefield... somehow, so the back sprite and front sprite will need their shading swapped.

This leaves the shape of the lower torso as the only part of the original sprites which are viable for use, and even so I think they'd want to be in a more dynamic position.
That makes sense. However Mega sceptile is pretty much the same as normal which is why I used the normal as the base. Is it because it leans a little? I don't quite understand. But I did notice he turns a little. Thanks for noticing the light thing I completly forgot about that haha.

I'll get more on to the sprites tomorrow. I'll try to get some done over my stream.

Its tail faces forward because that's the main focus point. If you look at this:

You'll notice that the red balls on the base of the tail flare up, and Sceptile actually fires its tail as well when it launches an attack, not unlike real-life lizards who are capable of severing their tail from their bodies to escape capture.

That's so weird how is tail just comes off haha. Anyways, you should have the Mega Sceptile's sprite like ingame with the tail pointing forward. However i do think the current sprite will look great when it's finished. I just think you should have it as the same perspective and direction as in the trailer.

Actually second thoughts. What if the trailer only shows what it looks like when it's attacking. For all we know, it doesn't normally face that way and it's just that particular move that it does.

I can't believe you've nearly finished. I have been watching this from the first page and it's amazing how far you have all come! Congratulations to all the new badges aswell. Great job guys

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Lol Guys. I keep saying that I am making the backsprite the frontsprite and viseversa.
I'm trying to make his tail point backward in order to make it the front sprite pose we see several times. XD
Still trying to figure out how to make the sprite's body so it will take some time. Should I make it more turned or more leaning?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
TrainerSplash I think people keep saying that because the front sprite doesnt look like a front sprite because of a couple crucial things. The eyes and shading. Take a look at mawlie for a sec.

The body position looks like it could be a front sprite but the eyes and the shading changes that look completely. You have the shading on your sprites backwards by having the back sprite have all the lighting instead of the front sprite.

As for the pose, I think maybe you should turn his head a bit along with making it lean over a bit. A pokemon that might have a similar pose that you could use to base off of is flygon.

He has everything you need as far as poses go. He even has the curved tail. But really nice start so far. :]

Mega Swampert
It kinda runs into the same problem as other sprites that tries to use the art for a base. The pose could be less dynamic. Maybe one of these pokemon poses could work.

Actually, many of the bulky biped pokemon have pretty similar poses to these so these would probably be a good place to start.

edit: just noticed WPC already mentioned the shading for sceptile but I'll just leave it there.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
TrainerSplash I think people keep saying that because the front sprite doesnt look like a front sprite because of a couple crucial things. The eyes and shading. Take a look at mawlie for a sec.

The body position looks like it could be a front sprite but the eyes and the shading changes that look completely. You have the shading on your sprites backwards by having the back sprite have all the lighting instead of the front sprite.

As for the pose, I think maybe you should turn his head a bit along with making it lean over a bit. A pokemon that might have a similar pose that you could use to base off of is flygon.

Thanks! I have been needing a base but wasn't sure who to use. Flygon is the perfect fit. I'll get started right now.

Mega Pinsir Update:

Old (left) and New (right) Mega Pinsir sprites in comparison

For the record, it took me about two days to make it from scratch (allocating the time needed to do any personal business). I would have submitted sooner, but college crap and my job got in the way, so here I am, after a nearly week-long hiatus. I appreciate you posting a link to a very helpful tutorial, WPS. I also conducted research to make sure I demonstrated how to sprite in the BW style (albeit not perfectly, having been my first attempt).

What I did was follow princessofmusic's advice on Megas being slightly taller than their normal counterparts, and took the measurements of the normal BW Pinsir sprite's body and elongated the Mega Pinsir sprite's body about two pixels higher and about one pixel wider. Since BW Pinsir is leaning backward in its pose, I decided to elongate the horns slightly to show some of the upright perspective. Hopefully the outlines on the wings aren't too striking. Speaking of which, I have a feeling I'm missing something on the wings... Maybe it'll hit me later...

Well, here it is. I would appreciate some feedback, and hopefully the answer to this gut feeling I'm having about its wings...

EDIT: Fixed it. Forgot to give the wings their transparency attribute. Part of both sides of the shell should show through the wings now. I also fixed a slight curve in the right shell, improved on the fangs color- and placement-wise, and a couple other minor proportion errors.

EDIT @ 16:37: I've corrected a couple more minor proportional errors, majorly in both sets of horns, with the left horn's spikes slightly altered to match the proportions of the right horn. Minor shading corrections made been made as well.

Last edited:
Hello.

It's been ... half a year since I last tried here.

This is a comparison shot using pokedex sizes; Lairon is the smallest, Grotle is the biggest and Purugly/Parasect are the same size as Bergmite.

I gauged it on Parasect more than anything as they're both legged things being crushed by a big 'bell'.

I hope the lineart is workable, but I'm not an artist so the shading on my Bergmite is likely to be wildly off.
If it's unsalvageably off, let me know and I'll quietly skulk away.

Last edited:
Tyrell D. Barnes That Pinsir is a big improvement on your old one, but one thing that stands out to me in particular is the lack of outlines on the main yellow part of the wings. Another is the way that one leg points at a 45 degree diagonal while the other is precisely vertical. The horns also could use more work.

Sleet Nice to see you around and working your magic once more. Admittedly, I've been pretty fond of Noscium's Bergmite so far, and yours is rather large. Comparing it to evolved mons even within the same height group is sort of unfair, since Bergmite itself is unevolved and has fewer features to portray. With that said, yours wouldn't be bad with some size and shading alterations.

Mega Pinsir Update:

Awesome. Got some feedback at the end of the week.

princessofmusic Fixed that leg you mentioned. I inevitably had to agree with you when it looked proportionally off there... after looking close, then looking far, then imagining it turned to the other side, and yep; it was off. I didn't know if the wing outline had to be lighter or darker, so I darkened it. Finally, I touched up the horns a bit. If anything, could you give me the specifics pertaining to the horns if I didn't correct what you were trying to direct my attention to?

Much thanks, and feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir Update:

Old (Left) with custom colors, New (Right) with BW's colors

Summer must be a busy time for everyone... I decided to look into some color palettes and reconfigure my sprite's custom colors to match those of commonly seen values of yellow and orange. Along with these modifications, I've fixed some more proportional errors, primarily on the wings, but also on the legs. I studied the patterns on the wings and tried to get it as circular as possible with the points extending in their respective side and downward directions (although the left side's extension may be hidden behind the arm).

Just a heads-up: I plan on working on the back sprite, and I would greatly appreciate feedback on the quality of the front sprite before I proceed. Much thanks again.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Just a heads-up: I plan on working on the back sprite, and I would greatly appreciate feedback on the quality of the front sprite before I proceed. Much thanks again.
So far it looks pretty amazing, you did a really good job Tyrell D. Barnes!

I have one tiny gripe though, if you look at Mega Pinsir's Sugimori art you'll notice between the legs that there is a pointy end. On your sprite it is pretty much completely flat there.

also it's nice to see somebody else using postimg :]

So far it looks pretty amazing, you did a really good job Tyrell D. Barnes!

I have one tiny gripe though, if you look at Mega Pinsir's Sugimori art you'll notice between the legs that there is a pointy end. On your sprite it is pretty much completely flat there.

also it's nice to see somebody else using postimg :]
Fixed:

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I do consider postimg.org over the major sites like Tumblr and DeviantART mainly because it's quick and simple.

that pinsir is over 15 colours.

Hm... I originally thought it was 16 colors.
Well, in any case, decided to remove a somewhat minor detail in the shine color, which was also taken from the normal Pinsir palette. I'm not quite sure if the transparent attribute of the wings will give it trouble, but everything else falls under the 15-color limit now, or should, as illustrated by the palette I put in the top-left corner.

EDIT 06-24-14 @ 11:52: Fixed some major perspective issues on the shells' [spikes], especially the left shell.

Last edited:
After having compared Mega Pinsir's new sprite to the official artwork, I think the pincers should be a pixel or so thinner. They look a bit too thick on the sprite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)