Doubles Scizor

Stratos

Banned deucer.

"im MEGA COOL"

Overview
########

Though he lacks the immediate power of some other Pokemon in the format, Scizor comfortably occupies his niche as the bulkiest booster in the Doubles metagame. His base stats protect him from the attacks of more defensive Pokemon, and his access to an incredibly strong Bullet Punch allows him to get the first hit on his faster, stronger, but frailer foes. In addition, his Bug Bite can steal Sitrus Berry from bulkier Pokemon, serving as an unreliable but incredibly efficient healing mechanism. His Steel typing allows him to switch in on many attacks and shrug them off, so unlike other setup sweepers, he need not be treated like fine china. He also serves as an interesting anti-Trick Room Pokemon, able to OHKO most non-Ghost-type setters, attack first under Trick Room with Bullet Punch, and survive most hits even if he moves second. For all of these reasons, he is a great choice for bulky teams.

However, he does suffer from a couple crippling weaknesses. Most notable is his abysmal neutral coverage; being unable to hit some of the format's strongest special attackers, such as Aegislash, Thundurus, Charizard, and Heatran for neutral damage, makes him no more than setup fodder until these Pokemon are severely weakened. In addition, his exploitable weakness to Fire means that he is only one surprise Hidden Power away from being beaten by any ostensibly Scizor-weak team. Finally, though he can handle Rotom-W, most other Will-O-Wisp users are able to safely burn him. These weaknesses unfortunately pigeonhole him into a late-game role, greatly reducing his effectiveness.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Bug Bite
move 4: Protect
ability: Technician
item: Scizorite
evs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Swords Dance is awesome because it doubles Scizor's attack power and overrides the bane of all physical attackers, Intimidate. Bullet Punch is a powerful priority move, allowing Scizor to always get the first hit and hopefully KO his prospective attacker. Bug Bite is his strongest STAB attack after Technician, and can also steal Sitrus Berries from his targets, providing pseudo-recovery. Protect is a necessity for any offensively oriented Pokemon, buying a turn to maneuver to a better position whenever a Scizor counter comes out.

Set Details
========

The EVs help Scizor outspeed 0 Speed Rotom-W so that he can Bug Bite (for a KO if at +2) before eating Will-O-Wisp. Scizor's Attack is maximized, as he is an offensive Pokemon, and the rest is put into HP. Scizorite greatly increases Scizor's bulk and slightly increases his power and Speed, so it's the best option by far. Non-Mega Scizor is pretty underwhelming, but if you really want to use Scizor and already have another Mega Pokemon, Lum Berry is the best item as it cures burns, sleep, and paralysis, all of which cripple him. Scizor can try to replace Protect with Superpower to hit Steel-types, but will have a really rough time without Protect.

Usage Tips
========

It's tempting to use Swords Dance whenever possible, but this is hardly necessary and forces Scizor to take a lot of chip damage. Simply attack and Protect unless Swords Dance is necessary (because an Intimidate user is switching in) or you suspect Scizor will get a free turn. Especially avoid using Swords Dance before the opponent's Fire-types are eliminated or it will almost always be a wasted turn. Some Pokemon can ignore Scizor's STAB attacks and are incredibly dangerous once they get rolling, including Heatran, Charizard, and Thundurus. If your opponent has one of these, keep Scizor light on his feet to avoid giving them free turns. If the opponent's team looks like it has Scizor trouble, it's probably packing Hidden Power Fire. Know the common users, such as Cresselia and Latios, and scout for it with Protect (or KO them). Try to avoid dry switching Scizor in to take hits, especially before he Mega Evolves. Even resisted hits can deal near 50% to normal Scizor, which makes sweeping much harder.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can destroy Fire-types, such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Politoed, are a necessity for Scizor. Not only can they scare them from switching in on Scizor, but they can reclaim momentum if the Fire-types do get a free turn. Follow Me users seem like a good option to redirect Will-O-Wisp and strong attacks at first, but most Follow Me users complement Scizor's offensive coverage poorly (and cannot redirect the main Fire-type STAB move in the metagame, Heat Wave). As such, Pokemon that directly defeat common Will-O-Wisp users, such as Shaymin-S, are typically better picks. Supporting Scizor is awkward because he wants Grass-types to handle Rotom-W yet also wants partners that smash Fire-types. Mold Breaker Excadrill can make a good partner, being able to KO both, but can switch in on neither. Scizor works very well on teams lacking in speed control; his Bullet Punch is the second strongest priority move in the game and his STAB options are super effective on most of the common Trick Room users. He can also work well on semi-Trick Room, as he functions well both in and outside the effect, though full Trick Room teams are typically better off with Escavalier. As Scizor is an efficient Fairy-killer, it makes a great member of teams that struggle with Hyper Voice spam, and a partner for Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Conkeldurr that despise Togekiss's Follow Me.

Other Options
########

It would be nice to have the reliable recovery of Roost on the Swords Dance set, but it simply cannot replace any of Mega Scizor's other moves. A more support-oriented set could put to use Scizor's good bulk and many utility moves, such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, U-turn, Knock Off, and Light Screen. Lastly, Swords Dance could be dropped for Superpower or Feint. The former beats Heatran and other Steel-types while the latter provides some extra utility, but dropping Swords Dance makes offensive Scizor more vulnerable to Attack drops.

Checks and Counters
########

**Fire-type Moves**: Anything that carries a reasonably powerful Fire-type move can serve as a counter to Scizor, including Hydreigon, Manectric, and of course any Fire-type Pokemon. Only strong Hidden Powers (such as Life Orb Latios's) will OHKO, though.

**Defensive Type Advantage**: Many Pokemon resist both of Scizor's STAB attacks and are able to set up on him, hit him hard, or just plain ignore him. These include every major Fire-type, most Steel-types, Thundurus, and Zapdos.

**Intimidate and Burn**: Intimidate can slow Scizor down, forcing him to Swords Dance and thus buying you a turn to maneuver into a better position, but it cannot stop him. Burns can pretty effectively end his effect on the game, however.

**Strong Special Attacks**: Scizor has amazing physical Defense but only mediocre Special Defense. Pokemon that can survive his hits (or move first), such as Keldeo, and smack him with strong special attacks will eventually knock him down.

- Very strong Bullet Punch picks off a lot of more frail offensive Pokemon like Skymin, Latios, Deo-A
- Hits Fairies (Aromatisse, Togekiss) and Psychics (Reuniclus, Slowking, Cresselia) for SE STAB, so it's pretty good anti-TR.
- Great bulk when Mega Evolved makes it a better Swords Dance user than last generation
- Can switch in on Dragons even better than before, but dragons are less common

- Very bad neutral coverage
- Setup fodder for Heatran, Thundurus, and Charizard
- Exploitable 4x fire weakness (Hidden Power)

Swords Dance
########
move1: Swords Dance
move2: Bullet Punch
move3: Bug Bite
move4: Protect

Moves
========
-Swords Dance is amazing because it overrides Scizor's worst enemy: Intimidate. Landorus-T thinks it's cute switching in, letting Scizor get a free +1
-Bullet Punch and Bug Bite provide priority and power respectively, and hit some of the best behemoths in the tier (Cresselia, Terrakion) for Super Effective
-Protect because it's Protect
-Superpower can be run in the last slot; Superpower greatly improves coverage, problem being protect is fucking protect.

Set Details
========
-Trying to maximize damage output, since that's basically what Scizor is there for, and has no real use for Speed investment so HP.
-Scizorite greatly increases Scizor's bulk and slightly increases his power and Speed so it is the best option for a setup Pokemon—use it unless you have another mega on your team.
-If you already have another Mega but REALLY WANNA USE SCIZOR, you should run Lum Berry, as Scizor is a common Will-o-Wisp target.
-However, the difference in bulk is amazing and makes non-mega scizor fold really easily.
-92 Speed is so you beat min Cresselia and Rotom-W, which should make you less dependent on team support to outplay their Will-o-Wisp/Hidden Power Fire

Usage Tips
========
-Scizor hardly needs to set up a Swords Dance every time it comes in—his STABs are plenty strong at +0, just use offensive moves until you suspect you'll have a free turn.
-Counteracting the above point, it's wise to SD if you suspect an intimidate is coming your way, because they're not plenty strong at -1
-Be wary of giving free turns to certain Pokemon that don't care about Scizor's STAB—Thundurus, Heatran, Charizard are the big three.
-Remove Fire-types before Swords Dancing or it's a wasted turn usually
-Know common Hidden Power Fire users (Latios, Shaymin-S, Cresselia) and if you suspect the opponent's team has Scizor troubles, scout for it so that you avoid heartbreak.
-It's best to give Scizor free switches as much as possible; save the hard switch-ins for when he really needs to tank a hit for a teammate.
-Generally the two biggest team support things are contradictory—you want grasses for Rotom-W yet you want things that don't lose to Fire-types. It's a struggle to juggle, do your best.

Team Options
========
-Obviously Pokemon that beat Fire-types handily—Garchomp, Tyranitar, Politoed, and more can not only scare Fire-types from switching into Scizor but clean up the mess if Scizor does give the Fire-types a free turn.
-Shaymin-Sky can remove Rotom-W and Gourgeist, the most common Will-o-Wisp users, while still carrying Earth Power and Air Slash to not be setup fodder for Heatran / Charizard Y respectively
-Can work well on semi-Trick Room which has problems with Pokemon like Cresselia that run Trick Room specifically to undo it; full Trick Room is better off with Escavalier usually
-Very good on teams lacking in speed control; has Bullet Punch for faster Pokemon, but also Bug Bite and Bullet Punch to beat common Trick Room setters/abusers
-Follow Me saves Scizor from Will-o-Wisps but has a couple problems with Fire-Types: for one, none of the Follow Me users can touch them, and for two, Heat Wave is a spread move.
-Ruins Fairy-types so Pokemon that don't like Fairies enjoy his presence (especially ones who don't like Togekiss's Follow Me support, like Conkeldurr and Hydreigon)

Other Options
########

-Roost would be nice but Mega Scizor cannot sacrifice a moveslot to run it
-Tailwind, Quick Guard, U-turn, Knock Off, and Light Screen could be used on a more utility set.
-A three attacks set with Superpower or Feint over Swords Dance—former option makes you less of a setup fodder for Heatran but does little to stop Charizard, latter option gives you general extra utility.

Checks and Counters
########

-Fire-types (Talonflame, Heatran, Charizard Y, Volcarona, Rotom-H) don't fear its STAB and threaten a KO
-Steel-types / Thundurus don't fear its STAB; can't do as much directly back but can set up / troll Scizor's partner
-Intimidate can slow scizor down, but cannot effectively stop it since it runs Swords Dance, so don't bank on it.
-Will-o-Wisp
-Scizor's not THAT bulky so he'll usually fall to a few strong neutral hits
-Bulkier pokemon that can do decent damage or burn it (Water-types often)

Last edited:
Feint and Life Orb are both incredibly viable options unmentioned. Tbh I think Life Orb>Scizorite. Feint could probably go in a slash after Sword's Dance. If you moved SD/Feint to the 2nd slot you could just call the set "Attacker".

I believe that Knock Off/Thief should get extremely minor mentions in OO, as both are scizor's best move against some of its counters (Aegislash, Thundurus, Jellicent, etc.) and get decent neutral coverage with Scizor's STAB attacks. You should also mention somewhere than Bug Bite can steal Berries, which can be useful in certain situations. In the checks and counters section, you say the Scizor isn't that bulky, but Mega Scizor actually has exceptional bulk, surpassing the likes of Skarmory, so i think it would be a wise idea to clarify that this only regular Scizor suffers from this problem.

Last edited:
Overview
  • Should probably mention Mega Scizor here in some small way, but other than that it looks about right
Swords Dance
  • Occa Berry worth a mention under this set along with a bulky spread. Yes Scizor will almost always die to strong Fire-type attacks but Occa is useful for guarding against those attacks (i.e. HP Fire) that you won't see coming. It also survives typical Fire coverage on Dragons, such as a Salamence/Hydreigon Flamethrower, and that can typically be important in allowing Scizor to reliably check Latios and others. A good spread for this would be 252 HP / 152 Atk / 104 SpD, which always survives a LO Modest Hydreigon Flamethrower w/ Occa (this also survives an unboosted Modest 252 SpA Heatran Heat Wave so bar a double attack you could potentially stay in on Heatran for a turn if for some reason you felt like it :/)
  • Remove Superpower and Roost imo. If you want to use Superpower there's the Utility set; Roost is perfectly comfortable in OO alone. If you feel strongly about it I guess Superpower can stay, though.
  • I'm actually a tad keen on the 92 Spe becoming the actual spread, just because of how incredibly useful moving before Rotom-W and Cresselia can be. Since this spread doesn't work for regular Scizor it should probably stay where it is though :s
  • In Usage Tips, mention if something like CharYZard or Heatran is on the opposing team, getting rid of it will be a priority if you want Swords Dance Scizor to be useful, because they will wall it effortlessly and force it out pretty easily as well
  • Team Options- Get Lando-T in there along with Garchomp bcuz its hands down awesome
  • SD Scizor also works well with Tailwind support, as the ability to outspeed things like Hydreigon/Latios and kill them with a Bug Bite is great, especially if it grabs a Swords Dance boost; not to mention being able to take down common TR setters is something all Tailwind teams will appreciate
  • Follow Me support is also nice, keeping WoW away from Scizor and allowing it to snag a boost easier
Utility
  • Scizorite works just as well on this set as the other, in particular its a good idea if you plan to EV Scizor to outspeed Heatran as you mentioned (still risky as heck though); Rotom is a good benchmark on this set as well if you use Scizorite
  • This set actually can get some KOs on the typical Psychic- and Fairy-types, even without Swords Dance. It also excels at picking off weakened threats (since it often has priority that tends to go before opposing priority)
  • Pwnemon said:
    try to avoid being switch fodder for fire- and steel-types by staying on your toes and playing scizor as a hit-and-run or only partnering him with pkmn that beat those things
    <Note that if you opt to run Superpower Steel-types won't be as much of an issue
  • In general this set works on any fast-paced offense team such as TR or Tailwind, as it can break Protects on things that think they can stall out the aforementioned field effects
Other Options
  • Tailwind. Now. How this did not get a mention somewhat confuses me. But in general providing your own speed support can surprise people sometimes and it more important allows Scizor to check things it would have trouble with; i.e. Specs Latios and Hydreigon (dem Fire-type attacks)
  • Pursuit catches Cresselia or Latios thinking they can flee to Heatran safely. Other than that it doesn't do much (except hit Steels neutrally, I guess)
  • Quick Guard is nice for protecting against slower Fake Outs, Mach Punches, etc. It means you will have to forgo Bug Bite, unfortunately (X-scissor can still deliver pretty well in terms of damage output)
  • Remove Acrobatics and replace with Aerial Ace, which due to no Flying Gem will be superior in almost every way
  • Knock Off is always nice and can do some damage to an expected Heatran coming in while taking off its typical Lefties.
  • Natural Gift serves as a nice anti-Heatran or CharYZard move and is often pretty surprising. It only works once tho so is fairly situational at best
  • Light Screen is always somewhat useful, though its very hard to find room for
Checks & Counters
  • Needs to be divided into sections (i.e. Offensive Type Advantages, Defensive Type Advantages, Status, Intimidate, Utility, etc; see Lolk's post at the top of the forum for more details) due to the new format for analyses
  • Most bulky Water-types (Suicune, Jellicent, Rotom-W) can tank its priority easily and handle a Bug Bite or two (maybe even three in Jellicent's case) and proceed to ware it down or stop it with Will-O-Wisp
  • Ghost-types resist Bug Bite and often have Will-O-Wisp
Do all this stuff and I'll give you a check. It's coming along nicely ;)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
implemented finally, sorry sorry sorry

some disagreements:
  • 204 spd not 104 who runs flamethrower fire blast masterrace
  • is switching lando-t into fire type moves a thing people do now because this was suggested on amoonguss too and i am perplexed
  • +2 scizor ohkoes either of those dragons with bullet punch, it's much better on a tailwind team as setter than sweeper
  • latter set only gets koes with life orb which is really imo inferior to lum berry, but i can mention them if you provide them (the only thing i found was 50% to ko aromatisse)
  • i forgot tailwind that's how, same with knock off and qg, i was trying to do it from memory
  • pursuit should never be used, and natural gift rofl no, oo should be at least somewhat not ass
  • i can divide it into sections once i write this shit up
  • bulky waters usually bad choices unless they carry wow since they're all sitrus and i wont trade a 30% burn chance for the free sitrus to scizor
  • ghosts are limited to mgar (ohkoed by +2 bp) and tree (fucked by bugbite)

Since offensive Steel-types are pretty scarce, list some partners that appreciate dead fairies, because scizor is great at killing them, such as Hitmontop and Mega-Heracross (on the non mega set obv)

QC 1/3 pls keep the random caps outbursts in the analysis or i am taking my qc back :)

good job.

SD Moves

mention bug bite stealing berries as that can be rly useful if you eat a cresselia or trevenants sitrus berry for free health

SD Team Options

mention terrakion in particular, as it kills the 3 main mons scizor doesnt like (tran, thundy, zard), though it has to watch out for thunder wave from thundurus

same things above for the second set i guess lol
also i think you could mention the occa+204 spD in the second set, as its arguably more useful there than in the first set due to it being... utility.

in c&c when you say scizor isnt that bulky, its pretty fucking bulky on the physical side. just say special hits wear it down more imo

not much stuff oO
obligatory not qc, dont have to listen, etc.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
made some major changes to this analysis with mizuhime's irc approval

namely, i axed all sets but Mega SD because they're underwhelming, come at me. writing this up now that i don't have to spew bullshit about a set that's honestly bad

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why are you telling Finally that it is written :^) - i am hilarious btw

Moves
  • I'd split up BPunch and Bug Bite
  • Say why Priority is useful
  • Talk about stealing berries with Bug Bite, muh pseudo bulk
  • Small side note but GP standards changed and STAB has to be followed by a noun or verb or somth so it's STAB moves or w/e
Set Details
  • ''but Pokemon which want to maintain a field presence have a really tough time going without Protect.'' This reads funny, your better off saying it can't avoid status / attacks whilst partners handle threats.
Usage Tips
  • You talk about when not to use SD but not when you should
  • Nasty Plot Thund is not a thing, see the hide tag at the bottom
  • I don't think I've ever seen HP Fire Skymin either :>
Team Options
  • Mention Mold Breaker Exca specifically since other variants are doing jack shit to Rotom
  • Something to switch into fire attacks like tranner
  • Follow Me / Rage Powder helps avoid burns and gives setup opportunities
  • CB GYARADOS, slams a fair few threats to Scizor
Checks and Counters
  • You have Fire-types in defensive type advantage but you should be talking about stuff like Zard-Y Rotom-H and Tran in offesnive typing advantage imo, the steel-types and thund + zap are fine tho
  • Mention Keldeo specifically in strong SpA since it also resists both STAB moves
Make da changes and you're 3/3. If you disagree with anything, argue with me on IRC pls.

| Moves | | Thunderbolt 88.376% | | Thunder Wave 88.043% | | Taunt 83.018% | | Hidden Power Ice 66.920% | | Substitute 18.195% | | Protect 15.739% | | Thunder 4.513% | | Knock Off 4.049% | | Superpower 3.869% | | Discharge 3.506% | | Rain Dance 3.052% | | Wild Charge 2.624% | | Other 18.096% |

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pwnemon is MEGA LAME :}

Pwnemon

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Though he I'll trust you've got it consistent lacks the immediate power of some other Pokemon in the format, Scizor comfortably occupies his niche as the bulkiest booster in the Doubles metagame. His base stats protect him from the attacks of more defensive Pokemon, and his access to an incredibly strong Bullet Punch allows him to get the first hit on his faster, stronger, but frailer foes. In addition, his Bug Bite can steal Sitrus Berry from bulkier Pokemon, serving as an unreliable but incredibly efficient healing mechanism. His Steel typing allows him to switch in on many attacks and shrug them off, so unlike other setup sweepers he needn't be treated like fine china. He also serves as an interesting anti-Trick Room Pokemon, able to OHKO most non-Ghost-type setters, attack first under Trick Room with Bullet Punch, and survive most hits even if he moves second. For all of these reasons, he is a great choice for bulky teams.

However, he does suffer from a couple crippling weaknesses. Most notable is his abysmal neutral coverage; being unable to hit some of the format's strongest special attackers, such as Aegislash, Thundurus, Charizard, and Heatran for neutral damage, makes him no more than setup fodder until these Pokemon are severely weakened. In addition, his exploitable weakness to Fire means that he is only one surprise Hidden Power away from being beaten by any ostensibly Scizor-weak team. Finally, though he can handle Rotom-W, most other Will-O-Wisp users are able to safely burn him. These weaknesses unfortunately pigeonhole him into a late-game role, greatly reducing his effectiveness.

Swords Dance
########
move1: Swords Dance
move2: Bullet Punch
move3: Bug Bite
move4: Protect

Moves
========

Swords Dance is awesome because it doubles Scizor's attack power and overrides the bane of all physical attackers, Intimidate. Bullet Punch is a powerful priority move, allowing Scizor to always get the first hit and hopefully KO its his prospective attacker. Bug Bite is his strongest STAB attack after Technician, and can also steal Sitrus Berry from his target, providing pseudo-recovery. Protect is a necessity for any offensively oriented Pokemon, buying your team a turn to maneuver to a better position whenever a Scizor counter comes out.

Set Details
========

The EVs outspeed 0 Speed Rotom-W, (RC) so that Scizor can Bug Bite (for a KO if at +2) before eating Will-O-Wisp. Attack is maximized, since as Scizor is an offensive Pokemon, and the rest is put into HP. Scizorite greatly increases Scizor's bulk and slightly increases his power and Speed, so it's the best option by far. Non-Mega Scizor is pretty underwhelming, but if you really want to use Scizor and already have another Mega Pokemon, Lum Berry is the best item as it cures burns, sleep, and paralysis, all of which cripple him. Scizor can try to replace Protect with Superpower, (RC) to hit Steel-types, but will have a really rough time without Protect.

Usage Tips
========

It's tempting to use Swords Dance whenever possible, but this is hardly necessary and forces Scizor to take a lot of chip damage. Simply attack and Protect unless Swords Dance is necessary (because an Intimidate user is switching in) or you suspect Scizor will get a free turn. Especially avoid using Swords Dance before the opponent's Fire-types are eliminated or it will almost always be a wasted turn. Some Pokemon can ignore Scizor's STAB and are incredibly dangerous once they get rolling, including Heatran, Charizard, and Thundurus. If your opponent has one of these, keep Scizor light on his feet to avoid giving them free turns. If the opponent's team looks like it has Scizor trouble, it's probably packing Hidden Power Fire. Know the common users, such as Cresselia and Latios, and scout for it with Protect (or KO them). Try to avoid dry switching Scizor in to take hits, especially before he Mega Evolves. Even resisted hits can deal near 50% to normal Scizor, which makes sweeping much harder.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can destroy Fire-types, such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Politoed, (AC) are a necessity for Scizor. Not only can they scare them from switching in on Scizor, but they can reclaim momentum if the Fire-types do get a free turn. Follow Me users seem like a good option to redirect Will-O-Wisp and strong attacks at first, but most Follow Me users complement Scizor's offensive coverage poorly (and cannot redirect the main Fire-type STAB in the metagame, Heat Wave). As such, Pokemon that directly defeat common Will-O-Wisp users, such as Shaymin-S, are typically better picks. Supporting Scizor is awkward because he wants Grass-types to handle Rotom-W yet also wants partners that smash Fire-types. Mold Breaker Excadrill can make a good partner, being able to KO both, but can switch in on neither. Scizor works very well on teams lacking in speed control; his Bullet Punch is the second-strongest priority move in the game and his STAB options are super effective on most of the common Trick Room users. It can also work well on semi-Trick Room, as it functions both in and outside the effect, though full Trick Room teams are typically better off with Escavalier. As Scizor is an efficient Fairy-killer, it makes a great member of teams that struggle with Hyper Voice spam, and a partner for Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Conkeldurr that despise Togekiss's Follow Me.

Other Options
########

It would be nice to have the reliable recovery of Roost on the Swords Dance set, but it simply cannot replace any of Mega Scizor's other moves. A more team-oriented set could put to use Scizor's good bulk and many utility moves, such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, U-turn, Knock Off, and Light Screen. Lastly, Swords Dance could be dropped for Superpower or Feint. The former beats Heatran and other Steel-types while the latter provides some extra utility, but dropping Swords Dance makes offensive Scizor more vulnerable to Attack drops.

Checks and Counters
########

**Fire-type Moves** Anything that carries a reasonably powerful Fire-type move can serve as a counter to Scizor, including Hydreigon, Manectric, and of course any Fire-type Pokemon. Only strong Hidden Powers (such as Life Orb Latios's) will OHKO, though.

**Defensive Type Advantage** Many Pokemon resist both of Scizor's STAB attacks and are able to set up on him, hit him hard, (AC) or just plain ignore him. These include every major Fire-type, most Steel-types, Thundurus, and Zapdos.

**Intimidate and Burn** Intimidate can slow Scizor down, forcing him to Swords Dance and thus buying you a turn to maneuver into a better position, but cannot stop him. Burns can pretty effectively end his effect on the game, however.

**Strong Special Attacks** Scizor has amazing physical Defense but only mediocre Special Defense. Pokemon that can survive his hits (or move first), such as Keldeo, and smack him with strong special attacks will eventually knock him down.

1/2

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Overview
########

Though he lacks the immediate power of some other Pokemon in the format, Scizor comfortably occupies his niche as the bulkiest booster in the Doubles metagame. His base stats protect him from the attacks of more defensive Pokemon, and his access to an incredibly strong Bullet Punch allows him to get the first hit on his faster, stronger, but frailer foes. In addition, his Bug Bite can steal Sitrus Berryies (Berries are items that actually have a known plural form so it's ok to use it.) from bulkier Pokemon, serving as an unreliable but incredibly efficient healing mechanism. His Steel typing allows him to switch in on many attacks and shrug them off, so unlike other setup sweepers,(AC) he needn't(break this contraction) be treated like fine china. He also serves as an interesting anti-Trick Room Pokemon, able to OHKO most non-Ghost-type setters, attack first under Trick Room with Bullet Punch, and survive most hits even if he moves second. For all of these reasons, he is a great choice for bulky teams.

Swords Dance
########
move(space)1: Swords Dance
move(space)2: Bullet Punch
move(space)3: Bug Bite
move(space)4: Protect

Moves
========

Swords Dance is awesome because it doubles Scizor's attack power and overrides the bane of all physical attackers, Intimidate. Bullet Punch is a powerful priority move, allowing Scizor to always get the first hit and hopefully KO his prospective attacker. Bug Bite is his strongest STAB attack after Technician, and can also steal Sitrus Berryies from his targets, providing pseudo-recovery. Protect is a necessity for any offensively oriented Pokemon, buying your team a turn to maneuver to a better position whenever a Scizor counter comes out.

Set Details
========

The EVs help Scizor outspeed 0 Speed Rotom-W so that Scizor he can Bug Bite (for a KO if at +2) before eating Will-O-Wisp. Scizor's Attack is maximized, as Scizor he is an offensive Pokemon, and the rest is put into HP. Scizorite greatly increases Scizor's bulk and slightly increases his power and Speed, so it's the best option by far. Non-Mega Scizor is pretty underwhelming, but if you really want to use Scizor and already have another Mega Pokemon, Lum Berry is the best item as it cures burns, sleep, and paralysis, all of which cripple him. Scizor can try to replace Protect with Superpower to hit Steel-types, but will have a really rough time without Protect.

Usage Tips
========

It's tempting to use Swords Dance whenever possible, but this is hardly necessary and forces Scizor to take a lot of chip damage. Simply attack and Protect unless Swords Dance is necessary (because an Intimidate user is switching in) or you suspect Scizor will get a free turn. Especially avoid using Swords Dance before the opponent's Fire-types are eliminated or it will almost always be a wasted turn. Some Pokemon can ignore Scizor's STAB attacks and are incredibly dangerous once they get rolling, including Heatran, Charizard, and Thundurus. If your opponent has one of these, keep Scizor light on his feet to avoid giving them free turns. If the opponent's team looks like it has Scizor trouble, it's probably packing Hidden Power Fire. Know the common users, such as Cresselia and Latios, and scout for it with Protect (or KO them). Try to avoid dry switching Scizor in to take hits, especially before he Mega Evolves. Even resisted hits can deal near 50% to normal Scizor, which makes sweeping much harder.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can destroy Fire-types, such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, and Politoed, are a necessity for Scizor. Not only can they scare them from switching in on Scizor, but they can reclaim momentum if the Fire-types do get a free turn. Follow Me users seem like a good option to redirect Will-O-Wisp and strong attacks at first, but most Follow Me users complement Scizor's offensive coverage poorly (and cannot redirect the main Fire-type STAB move in the metagame, Heat Wave). As such, Pokemon that directly defeat common Will-O-Wisp users, such as Shaymin-S, are typically better picks. Supporting Scizor is awkward because he wants Grass-types to handle Rotom-W yet also wants partners that smash Fire-types. Mold Breaker Excadrill can make a good partner, being able to KO both, but can switch in on neither. Scizor works very well on teams lacking in speed control; his Bullet Punch is the second-(-Hyph)strongest priority move in the game and his STAB options are super effective on most of the common Trick Room users. He can also work well on semi-Trick Room, as he functions well both in and outside the effect, though full Trick Room teams are typically better off with Escavalier. As Scizor is an efficient Fairy-killer, it makes a great member of teams that struggle with Hyper Voice spam, and a partner for Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Conkeldurr that despise Togekiss's Follow Me.

Other Options
########

It would be nice to have the reliable recovery of Roost on the Swords Dance set, but it simply cannot replace any of Mega Scizor's other moves. A more teamsupport-oriented set could put to use Scizor's good bulk and many utility moves, such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, U-turn, Knock Off, and Light Screen. Lastly, Swords Dance could be dropped for Superpower or Feint. The former beats Heatran and other Steel-types while the latter provides some extra utility, but dropping Swords Dance makes offensive Scizor more vulnerable to Attack drops.

Checks and Counters
########

**Fire-type Moves**:(+Colon) Anything that carries a reasonably powerful Fire-type move can serve as a counter to Scizor, including Hydreigon, Manectric, and of course any Fire-type Pokemon. Only strong Hidden Powers (such as Life Orb Latios's) will OHKO, though.

**Defensive Type Advantage**:(+Colon) Many Pokemon resist both of Scizor's STAB attacks and are able to set up on him, hit him hard, or just plain ignore him. These include every major Fire-type, most Steel-types, Thundurus, and Zapdos.

**Intimidate and Burn**:(+Colon) Intimidate can slow Scizor down, forcing him to Swords Dance and thus buying you a turn to maneuver into a better position, but it cannot stop him. Burns can pretty effectively end his effect on the game, however.

**Strong Special Attacks**:(+Colon) Scizor has amazing physical Defense but only mediocre Special Defense. Pokemon that can survive his hits (or move first), such as Keldeo, and smack him with strong special attacks will eventually knock him down.

Very nicely done, Pwnemon :]

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)