Pokémon Roserade

Status
Not open for further replies.
He guys. I'm still new at competitive battling. I decided to include a Roserade to the team I'm building and I'm happy with her so far. I was able to breed a flawless Timid Roselia just yesterday (Although I didn't use it and just bred another 5iv Roselia without atk. The only thing I regret is not knowing that Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm are Egg Moves. But I decided to go with Energy Ball instead since it will give me consecutive hits without worrying about my sp. atk.

Here's what I got so far:

(I've copied the Venus Fly Trap build)

252 SpAtk 252 Spe 4HP
Natural Cure
Choice Scarf

Moves:
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Toxic Spikes
Dazzling Gleam

I want to remove Toxic Spikes since I don't think this build will be able to set up for 2 turns without getting killed. Any suggestions on what should I replace it with? I'm thinking about Hidden Power, but its Hidden Power is Dragon and I already have Dazzling Gleam for Dragon opponents.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

He guys. I'm still new at competitive battling. I decided to include a Roserade to the team I'm building and I'm happy with her so far. I was able to breed a flawless Timid Roselia just yesterday (Although I didn't use it and just bred another 5iv Roselia without atk. The only thing I regret is not knowing that Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm are Egg Moves. But I decided to go with Energy Ball instead since it will give me consecutive hits without worrying about my sp. atk.

Here's what I got so far:

(I've copied the Venus Fly Trap build)

252 SpAtk 252 Spe 4HP
Natural Cure
Choice Scarf

Moves:
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Toxic Spikes
Dazzling Gleam

I want to remove Toxic Spikes since I don't think this build will be able to set up for 2 turns without getting killed. Any suggestions on what should I replace it with? I'm thinking about Hidden Power, but its Hidden Power is Dragon and I already have Dazzling Gleam for Dragon opponents.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
If you don't want to rebreed, put shadow ball on it. That'll lure and kill weakened psychic types and it's the only thing that'll stop you being walled by Aegislash.

I have a similar Roserade but Timid is a bit overkill for a scarf. I use Modest with 200evs in speed, which is enough to outspeed anything you realistically need to. The other 56 evs can then go into HP for a bit more survivability. I'd recommend you invest a bit more breeding time, get leaf storm onto it, and switch to modest. The result will be explosive and is criminally underrated. You do really need the power of modest leaf storm for a hit and run choice scarfed Roserade, though.

If you don't want to rebreed, put shadow ball on it. That'll lure and kill weakened psychic types and it's the only thing that'll stop you being walled by Aegislash.

I have a similar Roserade but Timid is a bit overkill for a scarf. I use Modest with 200evs in speed, which is enough to outspeed anything you realistically need to. The other 56 evs can then go into HP for a bit more survivability. I'd recommend you invest a bit more breeding time, get leaf storm onto it, and switch to modest. The result will be explosive and is criminally underrated. You do really need the power of modest leaf storm for a hit and run choice scarfed Roserade, though.
Thanks.

Although I'm a bit reluc

Is it really okay to have all offensive moves? And will Black Sludge work better instead of Choice? I kinda noticed that I already out speed everyone in Battle Maison...

For that Roserade, I think you could work best with a LO or Specs set. Given Technician turns HP Fire into the equivalent of Flamethrower and the inherent immunity to both Toxic and Leech Seed, Roserade can beat a decent number of defensive Grass-Types, like Ferrothorn and SubSeed Breloom, and I think it at least comes to a Stalemate with Leech Seed (M?)-Venusaur. If you got hat way, I'd suggest dropping either Giga Drain (if you use Specs) or Leaf Storm (If you use LO). The healing isn't outweighed by the sheer power for Roserade if it's wallbreaking with Specs, but it might do well to offset LO recoil if Roserade is going against bulkier or less hard-hitting threats, and makes it a bit easier if its not locking itself in.

Minor question, but why breed for it as a Budew (and thus lose Everstone for the Incense)? Can't Roselia be bred with the same IV mechanics and still inherit egg moves?

I am in the middle of rebreeding Roserade to get one with Extrasensory. There are too many times that she otherwise gets hard walled by poison types. I currently have Dazzling Gleam in the fourth slot, but it just never really gets used, as I'm never leaving Roserade in against dragon types anyway unless they are low enough in HP that a sludge bomb will do just as well.

Scarf Modest Roserade is just a great lure. With 200 evs in speed, it outspeeds Greninja, which comes as a great shock to people when they get a OHKO leaf storm to the face at the very point that they expect get an easy Ice Beam kill. Extrasensory will deal with lured-in poison types and Shadow Ball will deal with those Psychics that are not already dealt with by Leaf Storm. Sludge Bomb is just great STAB coverage.

Saying that, breeding for 31 ivs when you can't use an everstone is slow going. I am currently breeding a Rosalie with Extrasensory and the correct IVs but wrong nature with my original 5IV Roserade, just waiting for the right nature and right IV combo to turn up. If a Timid arrives first, I might keep it, go for max speed and run it with a life orb. Timid 252 speed Roserade outruns everything up to neutral base 100s, which could well be fast enough for most things, and the life orb power will be immense.

Is it really okay to have all offensive moves? And will Black Sludge work better instead of Choice? I kinda noticed that I already out speed everyone in Battle Maison...
All-offense is what Roserade does best, IMO. I tried sleep powder but by the time I switch out, they've pretty much already woken, and sleep powder is just so unreliable. If you really want to use something else, try Rest. With Natural Cure, you wake up when you switch out. I'd still go for the four coverage moves though, for the reason given below.

I wouldn't bother with Black Sludge. Roserade should be hitting hard and fast, not taking hits. If you are recovering, you are probably using her wrong.

Would a Sun-Team set using Sludge Bomb, Solar Beam, Giga Drain/Dazzling Gleam, and Sythensis be viable?
EVs in 252 SpA, 252 Spe, and 6 SpD, Modest, Natural Cure.
Item: Leftovers or Lum Berry

I hsve now played extensively with two sets: the standard Life Orb Timid Sleep Powder set and also Modest 200 speed evs, 56 HP evs Choice Scarf with Extrasensory and Shadow Ball.

The standard set is pretty good and it certainly punishes switches. Problem is that too many threats don't need to switch because they outspeed. So you get worn down unless you lever some recovery into it, but then you get 4MSS and you don't get many opportunities to recover anyway.

The Choice set wrecks though. It outspeeds all these things like Greninja that think they're going to OHKO you, and it OHKOs them instead. (Particularly if they have a bit of prior damage). The coverage lets you kill poison types that think they're going towall you and psychic types that think they're going to outspeed and OHKO you. Natural Cure then allows you to be a status absorber too although Technician with HP Fire or HP Rock would also be good if you want to take out bugs or birds.

This set is so underrated, it isn't even funny. I think it's because there is too much theorymonning and not enough actual playtesting. In practice it's an exvellent team support for the likes of mega-Gyarados and Mega-Charizard, or as part of any other FGW core.

4 days later, so forgive the double-post...

My scarf Roserade just exemplified its usefulness by taking out 4 of the opponent's team in one match:

• Outsped and revenge killed a Greninja that was on a cleaning mission.
  • Outsped and flat-out revenge killed a stealth rocked Weavile that was looking dangerous (don't know why it didn't have ice shard, but there you go)
  • 2HKOd a Vaporeon in rain and then natural cured the burn it had picked up from switching in to scald
  • Revenge killed a big fat Slowbro that was proving tricky.

It was Roserade that won it for me at the end too.

Each of those mons was otherwise threatening to cause a problem, due to some hax (getting mega-Gyara frozen for three turns and chipped to death was a bit of a killer!) and some clever prediction on the opponent's part

This is one seriously underrated set on a seriously underrated mon. That was an extreme example but she is rarely not useful. I commend it to the house.

I agree. I've been trying to convince people of the RoseScarf set to little avail. The speed is good for a scarfer and the STABs are uncommon for many teams to have otherwise and its coverage and abilities are great, able to fulfill multiple roles at once like absorbing Scalds and revenge killing. It's also really useful for sash Breloom, who doesn't mind Spore or either of its STABs and Sludge Bomb is more than enough.

252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 69-82 (26.4 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 434-512 (165.6 - 195.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

No threat. It's also a great partner for Charizard X. Grass and Poison handle all of the biggest problems for Charizard, Water, Ground, Rock and Fairy types. And Roserade has STABs for all of them. And a scarf helps you handle things like scarf Excadrill and Terrakion, and many more. Not to mention it's one of the best answers for stopping a Mega Gyarados sweep.

On all out offensive sets, why not use Petal Dance over Leaf Storm? Only 10BP less, perfect acc and cant be that bad looking at how many dragons still run Outrage. It might be worth a shot. Any thoughts on that?

Did i mention no stat penalties yet? XD

Last edited:
On all out offensive sets, why not use Petal Dance over Leaf Storm? Only 10BP less, perfect acc and cant be that bad looking at how many dragons still run Outrage. It might be worth a shot. Any thoughts on that?

Did i mention no stat penalties yet? XD
You really don't want to get locked into a Grass move seeing as so many types resist it. Dragons can run Outrage because they will not get locked in against Fairies if the fairy switched in on the first turn of Outrage. It is also easy to spam seeing as only Fairies and Steels can handle the move

You really don't want to get locked into a Grass move seeing as so many types resist it. Dragons can run Outrage because they will not get locked in against Fairies if the fairy switched in on the first turn of Outrage. It is also easy to spam seeing as only Fairies and Steels can handle the move
I see what you mean. Did a couple battles with it, didnt turn out too great, although it didnt look too bad on paper. I still say it was worth giving it a shot.

These things are always worth giving a shot. If you think something might work then try it. The worst part of Smogon is the small subset of individuals that think that if something isn't a council-recommended approved viable set, it isn't worth trying. Truth is, there is always some new combination of ideas that can be worth a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)