The Fire and the Ice Dragon ~ Bulky Offense ~ [1700+]

~ The Fire and the Ice Dragon ~

Hey Guys, so I've been working on a Team around Mega Charizard X for a while now and that's what I came up with so far. What do you guys think about it? I personally love it, because most of it's moves are unpredictable and makes the opponent rage a lot.

Team Preview
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team In Depth

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

I simply love Mega Charizard X. He's probably the most unpredictable pokemon in the current metagame right now. Why? First off you have to find out if your opponent runs a Mega Charizard Y or X - It's pretty obvious to see that I'm running X, but the opponent doesn't know that! Then you have to find out if I'm running a bulky set or a Dragon Dance set and before you found all of that out, I already took game advantage. Anyway, my team was based around him, so I tried out a few sets and tested his surviveability and this one did very well. I have a few problems beating opposing Mega Charizard X's tho. Not always, but sometimes, if the conditions are bad. Will-o-Wisp on Mega Charizard X is just simply awesome. You get to stop counters with it, you can weak your entire opponent's team, just by simply using Will-o-Wisp. Why am I not using Defog or Rapid Spin? Well, that's a good question and it's also simply answered. Mega Charizard X only gets 25% Damage from Stealth Rocks. It can easily Roost it off. It's bulky enough to tank incoming hits, even super effective hits and strikes back even harder or makes the opponents pokemon useless, by Will-o-Wisping them.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Latias is my Hazard Control and my bulky fast Psychic-Type. My team is very vulnerable to hazards, which makes them getting worn down quickly. I actually had Azumarill in this place before, but Shurtugal suggested me to use an Lati@s. Azumarill got lured down by hazards quite fast and I needed something to maintain Hazard Control. And here she is. I only have 2 Dragon-Types in my team, making only 2 pokemon vulnerable to fairy-type moves. Mega Charizard X takes neutral damage from fairy-type moves and I hope that I can burn Azumarill very quick, because he might blow up my team with ease unless I can stop him with Kyurem-Black or Rotom-Wash.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

This is my Stealth Rock Setter. He is well known and is a very dangerous threat to many pokemon. Intimidate and the Defensive Stats are making him a very bulky but also offensive pokemon. Now I decided to go with Knock Off instead of U-Turn, Why? I think Knock Off is just way better these days and not as predictable as U-Turn. Knock Off takes a lot of annoying Pokemon out or well stops them from being as effective as they are. Before I started using Landorus-Therian, I was using Ferrothorn, but Ferrothorn was just simply walled and was most likely rarely a big help for my team to get over threats. I've also tried to use Landorus before, to get rid of Mega Venusaur, because that pokemon gave my team some big problems. Every Pokemon got pretty much outwalled by it, until I started using Kyurem-Black.
8 Spd EV's again with the same reason mentioned above.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The plain old Rotom-Wash. It is used to Will-o-Wisp Threats, that my Mega Charizard X cannot wall and it is the best counter for Talonflame. Rotom-Wash is just too good, to not have it in your team these days. It has pretty damn awesome synergy with Lati@s, Mega Charizard X and Landorus-Therian. There is probably no team where I don't have Rotom-Wash in it. Talonflame is just too much of a threat to not counter that and Rotom-Wash is a great pokemon in general!

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Who doesn't love Aegislash? He made a big impact in the new games, utilizing his awesome typing and the ability to stop physical attackers, by making them run into King's shield. Now what is so special about this set? Why am I not running Iron Head like many others do? Well, the answer is simply, this set provides good coverage, surviveability and deals out more than it takes. Iron Head is mostly used to beat Fairy-Types, but somehow... this team has no probems with Fairy-Types at all. It basically laughs at them. Sacred Sword was purposely picked over Iron Head, to deal with Normal-Types like Chansey or Blissey and to OHKO a lot of threats. Aegislash stops rapid spinners, Fighting-Type moves, which would beat up my Kyurem-Black easily. I've tried out Gengar once, instead of Aegislash and Aegislash just felt better in this slot. Max Speed Ev's allow me to outspeed Tyranitar, Bisharp, Landorus-Therian, Magnezone and many other threats.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage

And here we are. The MVP of my team. This thing just wrecks havoc. It's basically unstoppable once all of it's threats, counters and checks are eliminated and this was my answer to Rotom-Wash, Mega Venusaur and others. Kyurem-Black has uber stats, but his lack in good coverage moves dropped it to OU. He might lack many of those moves, but he is able to dominate the entire OU game just because of his ability. Pretty much everyone is aware of the destructive powers of Kyurem-Black and that's why most of the players are using a Scizor, to counter it. When I first started using it, I was quite unsecure if it'll work that well in my team, but damn... that thing is a beast! It's not that bulky as the other members of my team, but he is just too good to not be in it. I first had a Assault Vest Conkeldurr instead of Kyurem-Black, but I still got walled by pokemon like Mega Venusaur. Kyurem-Blacks raw power is just insane and he is a amazing pokemon.
Problems
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baton Pass
Baton Pass is just nasty, I can't really stop it unless I'm lucky or if my opponent does a mistake. I either way have to put all my luck on raw power and get rid of their combo or they'll simply overrun me with their boosted pokemon.

Members of my own Team
I know, this sounds very silly, but I can't beat pokemons which I have in my team. Either way it's my playing style, or I'm just bad, or my team isn't that good.. but I can't really beat pokemons that I already have in my team.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's it. I hope you enjoyed reading it and I hope you guys could give me some suggestions, advices, fixes. Thanks in advance! :)
IMPORTABLE
HTML:
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage

Last edited:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello there!

I'm trying to be more active in the RMT forum, so here I am! Let's get started on the team, shall we?

The first issue this team has is facing hazards, especially teams that can SR and Spike stack. Due to a lack of hazard control, if a team can get SR + 1 Spike, the entire team will be worn down quickly (ZardX and KyuB and AVest Azu are Pokemon that are hardpressed to maintain their bulk and utility under such conditions).

As far as threats go, Landorus-I looks like it can break most of the team -- from experience, I can tell you that AVest Azu gets worn down pretty quickly, and as far as checks go, I wouldn't want to rely on it too much. Keldeo (especially when paired w/ the old BW2 core of Landorus-I) seems really hard to break as you solely rely on a Pokemon with no reliable recovery, with no hazard control support, to take them both on -- LO Keldeo is especially threatening since it is harder to play around.

Charizard-X seems like it can pull of a lategame sweep if you don't preserve Landorus-T long enough.

-.-.-.-

The first change I would advise would be to replace Azumaril for Defog / Roost Lati@s. Thanks to Roost, it is a much more reliable answer to Keldeo and Landorus, while also providing a reliable form of hazard control. Rotom-W and Azumaril also lack proper synergy together as well, something you should keep in mind.

For some minor nitpicks, Landorus-T sporting an Impish nature would be much easier to keep around for ZardX seeing as it can take plenty more hits (the nature change goes a long way, at least when I've used it). I would switch Rotom-W to a standard bulky set with WoW now that Azumaril has been replaced, as the team appreciates the bulk over the power. To levitate stall issues the team has presented (and more presented with the lack of Trick Wash) I would recommend using a Life Orb Aegislash with maximum speed investment (look at the analysis spread, I think it is called "THE CRUMBLER" for it's specific role in breaking stall teams). I would also make KyuB a Life Orb Roost set instead of a Substitute set because KyuB needs the longevity Roost provides and the power LO supplies, and I would change it to a positive-speed nature (such as Naive) to get the jump on Excadrill and DeoD.

Best of luck!

Hi, interesting team!
Gliscors are not allways 0 speed, I think most of them run at least 72 EVs in that stat and using 88 in Rotom´s speed is too little to be faster than it.
Having enough EVs to outspeed Gliscor can´t help a lot, since rotom usually prefers bulk over speed to serve as a flyingspam counter. I suggest you to use just 44 EVs in Spd, which are enough to outspeed jolly Azumarill... If you want to outspeed faster mons you could use a Choice Scarf as your Trick item (with that you´ll outspeed things like max spd Gliscor).
Hope this helped, have a nice day.

Hello there!

I'm trying to be more active in the RMT forum, so here I am! Let's get started on the team, shall we?

The first issue this team has is facing hazards, especially teams that can SR and Spike stack. Due to a lack of hazard control, if a team can get SR + 1 Spike, the entire team will be worn down quickly (ZardX and KyuB and AVest Azu are Pokemon that are hardpressed to maintain their bulk and utility under such conditions).

As far as threats go, Landorus-I looks like it can break most of the team -- from experience, I can tell you that AVest Azu gets worn down pretty quickly, and as far as checks go, I wouldn't want to rely on it too much. Keldeo (especially when paired w/ the old BW2 core of Landorus-I) seems really hard to break as you solely rely on a Pokemon with no reliable recovery, with no hazard control support, to take them both on -- LO Keldeo is especially threatening since it is harder to play around.

Charizard-X seems like it can pull of a lategame sweep if you don't preserve Landorus-T long enough.

-.-.-.-

The first change I would advise would be to replace Azumaril for Defog / Roost Lati@s. Thanks to Roost, it is a much more reliable answer to Keldeo and Landorus, while also providing a reliable form of hazard control. Rotom-W and Azumaril also lack proper synergy together as well, something you should keep in mind.

For some minor nitpicks, Landorus-T sporting an Impish nature would be much easier to keep around for ZardX seeing as it can take plenty more hits (the nature change goes a long way, at least when I've used it). I would switch Rotom-W to a standard bulky set with WoW now that Azumaril has been replaced, as the team appreciates the bulk over the power. To levitate stall issues the team has presented (and more presented with the lack of Trick Wash) I would recommend using a Life Orb Aegislash with maximum speed investment (look at the analysis spread, I think it is called "THE CRUMBLER" for it's specific role in breaking stall teams). I would also make KyuB a Life Orb Roost set instead of a Substitute set because KyuB needs the longevity Roost provides and the power LO supplies, and I would change it to a positive-speed nature (such as Naive) to get the jump on Excadrill and DeoD.

Best of luck!
Last I checked, it's All-Out Attacker mate. And I second that suggestion. Underrated but very rewarding. Here's the set:

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Outspeeds up to 84 Spd Landy-T. Which includes max Speed Adamant Bisharp, who will likely use Knock Off, luckily though, you outspeed and Sacred Sword it.

Pretty solid team, but I'll enumerate a few threats to your team:
1) CB Dnite: This thing shits on your team, 2HKO'ing/ OHKO'ing all of your Pokemon. Azu succumbs to ThunderPunch, Aegi dies to EQ, and everything else I didn't mention will die to Outrage. And because of that flaw, I suggest running Scarfed Kyurem-B. This gives your team a speed component, and allows you to attack first, by outspeeding a few relevant threats. This will remedy your team's nature of taking a hit then dishing them out, which isn't good because of the team's overall modest bulk. Don't rely too much on Landorus-T here, because it's easily worn down.
2) Landorus: Pretty much outspeeds and 2HKO'es/ OHKO'es your whole team, aside from Azu who will take a shitload off of Sludge Wave. How do you remedy this? Scarfed Kyurem-B, they think they outspeed and you nail it hard with Ice Beam. If Kyurem-B dies, pray that Landorus doesn't run HP Ice, which is commonly a coverage move for it.

Overall solid team, I give it a 8.5/ 10.

Hello there!

-.-.-.-

Best of luck!

These are some excellent changes and I've tested it out and I'm loving them. However, I think the Aegislash Set is way too gimmick to be used effectively in this team. I wonder, if their is another good choice to use it in a different way? Anyway, I changed Azumarill for a Defog / Roost Lati@s, which also got me another answer to threats like Mega Venusaur and Fighting-Types. I personally love Lati@s. I'm also using Impish Nature on Landorus-T now, and saw that it takes way more hits, even tho it's just a changed nature, but there is 1 thing I didn't really change.. I gave Kyurem-Black a Choice Scarf, which was just hilariously fun to watch. The opponent predicting something, and bam they get nailed by it. Thanks to GloriousGore and Shurtugal for the suggestions :) Rotom-Wash was usually WoW bulky before, but then I started to use Choice Specs.. anyway I changed it back :)

Hi, really solid team overall. I like it quite a lot. However, once lando falls down, your team can be quite vulnerable to the dragon-steel-fairy core. Opposing Kyurem-B can also give this a bit of a headache. Also, with baton pass being suspected, you might not have some problems with it anymore. Otherwise, awesome team.

Hi, really solid team overall. I like it quite a lot. However, once lando falls down, your team can be quite vulnerable to the dragon-steel-fairy core. Opposing Kyurem-B can also give this a bit of a headache. Also, with baton pass being suspected, you might not have some problems with it anymore. Otherwise, awesome team.
It's great that it's being suspected. It was so hard to get over it. Anyway, I've been testing Zapdos over Latias and Azumarill over Rotom-Wash for a while now. The results are great. Zapdos takes care of Scizor so easily making it unable to counter my Kyurem-Black anymore. what do you guys think about this?

It's great that it's being suspected. It was so hard to get over it. Anyway, I've been testing Zapdos over Latias and Azumarill over Rotom-Wash for a while now. The results are great. Zapdos takes care of Scizor so easily making it unable to counter my Kyurem-Black anymore. what do you guys think about this?
Ttar smashes the team with Stone Edge once Azu falls. And it's not terribly hard, and it's quite redundant with Rotom-W but you can't afford to lose it. But if you ever run Azu, I suggest running SitrusDrum Azu in order to combat its best check, MegaVenu.

Ttar smashes the team with Stone Edge once Azu falls. And it's not terribly hard, and it's quite redundant with Rotom-W but you can't afford to lose it. But if you ever run Azu, I suggest running SitrusDrum Azu in order to combat its best check, MegaVenu.
Yeah I also thought about that Ttar issue. What about Keldeo? Oh and Aegislash resists Rock. And it's speed allows me to Outspeed and OHKO Ttar with Sacred Sword.

Last edited:
Yeah I also thought about that Ttar issue. What about Keldeo? Oh and Aegislash resists Rock. And it's speed allows me to Outspeed and OHKO Ttar with Sacred Sword.
Where there is a Ttar, there is an Excadrill, a Landorus and a Latias.

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi,
I would suggest giving Life Orb To Latias and giving it energy Ball since you dont have any Grass moves

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Energy Ball

Energy Ball because your team can get killed By Quagsire Stall and I would prefer having energy ball its better than Roost

Life Orb because it can OHKO many pokemon with Life Orb

Here are some Calcs

252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 250-295 (87.4 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO without Life Orb
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 325-383 (113.6 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

SEE and i would prefer to change it

Quagsire
Quagsire

When MCX falls your team is hardwalled by Ferrothorn so I suggest running HP Fire on Latias, but this leaves you walled by Blissey and potentially Quag.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Hi,
I would suggest giving Life Orb To Latias and giving it energy Ball since you dont have any Grass moves

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Energy Ball
Energy Ball because your team can get killed By Quagsire Stall and I would prefer having energy ball its better than Roost

Life Orb because it can OHKO many pokemon with Life Orb

Here are some Calcs

252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 250-295 (87.4 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO without Life Orb
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 325-383 (113.6 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

SEE and i would prefer to change it

Quagsire
Quagsire
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
just gonna leave this there...

so anyways, this is a solid team, and scarf kyurem-b is amazing btw. your triple dragon core, however, is destroyed by fairies in general. even ones that arent offensive, such as cleric sylveon, give this whole team issues with hyper voice. gardevoir even more so. if belly drum azumarill sets up its often GG unless both kyurem and latias are up, as even aegi struggles against it without HP invest.
I am not going to recommend replacing pokemon, but will suggest ways to combat the issue.
first off, Coverage > Roost on latias.
roost tends to make latias EASIER to kill, since its easy to switch into one of its many weaknesses on a predicted roost. while fast roost is good and all, when you have soooo many common type weaknesses, it really is a waste of a turn. on latias, i would recommend roost ---> Thunderbolt to cover azumarill, since latias can tank a belly drum aqua jet although taking a lot of damage. while its not a desirable counter, its a start. thunderbolt also hits many common pokes for neutral damage and is maybe the most spammable type in the game (i'm sure you realize with fusion bolt).

okay...life orb aegislash. you really hurt its potential, especially on this team. Without king's shield and bulk investment, aegislash doesnt live up to its potential; you transform a poke with psuedo 50/150/150/150/150/50 stats to 50/150/50/150/50/50 stats as a semi-glass cannon with a great defensive typing. maybe you do have extra defense for one turn, but it really doesnt matter, and life orb recoil SUCKS. while it can ohko a lot, it just isin't that effective in the current meta, although it was at first, but then again, so was stance dance.
To me there are two primary sets you could use.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

First is the sub-toxic set, which is as god at toxic stalling as gliscor, with king's shield being a great utility along with a great typing, and sub + KS is great for stalling. you also retain a spammable nuke in shadow ball, which, hitting off of 252 modest nature, falls just one point short of timid mega gengar's.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

This is the classic mixed set, which is very good as well. i would run iron head as coverage, which helps with your fairy issues. i'm sorry, sacking your aegi against stuff like sylveon and garde (although uncommon) to kill them - you won't be left with a lot of health, or will be in blade forme which DESTROYS momentum since you must switch against most pokes - is just not efficient in the current meta. you are running mostly an offensive team, and losing momentum like that can destroy your battle. you also currently have no way to recover health, you are a slow poke that attacks semi-suicidally, without a cleric to help you regain health.

good luck, i hope this helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)