Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lukewarm game meh. But Messi's goal was good. BIH did give solid scares of upsets and statistically played a superior game. Romero was outstanding IMO considering he was benched all year in club football. I'll not hold that goal against him.

Argentina need to sort out their game before groups are over otherwise we're looking at a 2010 redux. Only Di Maria looked solid. And not a wise idea giving a focal role to a player so talented that he'll be triple marked in most of the games by paranoid defenders.

Ngl I didn't even watch the first half, but that was more because I was mad at the 5-3-2 that seemed way too speculative against a team that doesn't know how to defend. Thank god Alejandro went back to the system he'd played most of the time on the second half, which at least made Argentina win in the blow for blow (we could've scored a couple more goals with more precision, but they would've been undeserved). I suppose Gago wasn't 100%, but otherwise we can't win without a playmaker. If anything Biglia should've started, but I guess it's too late for that
Basically the 4-3-3, even if really unbalanced, makes the games more watchable, although of course we can't play like that against France or w/e. At least against a team like that it's understandable—not with that midfield though, Messi is forced to start far from the box without someone to pass the ball.

Congrats to Bosnia for showing that you can play against us without parking the bus, I hope they advance.

No one talking about Switzerland?
Talk about the underdogs of this tournament. QF is definitely achievable for them.

Been away for a couple of days without access to a tv or internet so didn't get to watch any of the matches but I think it's fair to say
2014>2010 so far.

By I feel so good about Costa Rica destroying Uruguay(completely overrated because of that frontline). Costa rica and england to fight it out for 2nd place.

Now I have to go and watch every goal to feel up to date.

Last edited:
Switzerland didn't play all too well imo and Ecuador deserved at least a point

but yeah 2014 > 2010 this tournament has been brilliant so far

Argentina was pretty lame except for like, half of the second half. Di Maria and Rojo played pretty well, and Romero was solid on the goal line, but our middlefield was awful, Mascherano was complaining about that all the time until Bosnia scored.
Ecuador - Switzerland was nice, Arroyo wasted his opportunity to seal the match and gave Ecuador the win, but it never happened, he never shot, and Switzerland scored thanks to that.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
No one talking about Switzerland?
Talk about the underdogs of this tournament. QF is definitely achievable for them.
I completely agree with you, Switzerland is a better team that what people think. They're well organized and have some interesting players upfront (and Ricardo Rodriguez is just a boss), I have high hopes for them in the tournament. I might be even overrating them lol...

Switzerland didn't play all too well imo and Ecuador deserved at least a point

but yeah 2014 > 2010 this tournament has been brilliant so far
Switzerland were way better than Ecuador, which is not something remarkable considering Ecuador was utterly shit. Switzerland was denied a legal goal btw, and Ecuador chances were just loose balls coming from clearances picked by the pacy attackers... And they didn't have that many chances to be fair. It would have been ridiculous if Ecuador had got a point there, man they probably attacked worse than Greece, that's saying something. Still not the best Switzerland game, they're not a team that scores many goals but their first half was mediocre. They played well for most of the second half though.

Last edited:
BOSNIA :DDDDDDD

Come on we scored what, 3 goals in that game??? One on ourselves, and one (thru the legs, X2 pts).

We did fucking okay I was expecting to get shut out or something like 4-1 or 3-1 Argentina. I can see us realistically advancing out of the group but we'll see. :)

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
This Portuguese loss will squarely rest on that shitty defense and a shittier keeper who can't clear a ball properly to save his life.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Lol classic Pepe. Sloppy play to concede that penalty in the early stages and gift the lead to Germany. Another defensive error, this time by Alves and it's game over. Who's willing to bet on a second half Ronaldo hattrick ?

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
What the fuck is up with the referee. That's his third touch on the ball and he almost allowed Ronaldo to score. I think he denied that obvious penalty out of personal guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)