Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I would be really sad to see that happen but I fear it will be that way. It makes the E4 so much easier. Hoenn whilst my second least favourite region did have a good structured E4. Sydney could hurt you and annoy you with evasion moves. Phoebe used lots of Protects with Pressure to eat PP. Glacia used Hail to make sure your team took some damage. Drake hit hard and unless you packed an Ice move he took a while to take down. With these made the Champion battle a lot more intense as each fight got harder and therefore if you didn't fully prepare or have enough items, you could lose to Steven/Wallace.

Would love to see a Mega for each E4. Even if we have to wait for rematches with them
I never thought of the Hoenn E4 like this. I always found Hoenn E4 hard because I was nearly always only Lv 40~45 when I got there (it's a lot to give away around 8 levels). In one game I JUST had Salamence while Fighting Drake and then Steven comes in with Lv 58 Metagross... The level curve could do with a little bit of tweaking (or the addition of Audino/XP Share ;) ) I could never find enough trainers to level up and ended up chasing Gabby and Ty around Hoenn leeching XP off of them as one of the few fast repeatable battles in the game.

I would die a little inside if they dropped from 5 mons down to 4. We need more trainers with 5/6 mons, not less. Throw them at us randomly too during the main game. Theres no way Ace Trainers at like Victory Road should only have 2/3 mons at most :/

In an attempt to get another subject going, what's everyone's opinion about what 6th gen hoenn music will be like? What OSTs are we looking foward to in particular?
Off the top of my head: Route 120, Battle Frontier, Frontier Brain, Slateport City, Fortree City.
Route 120 is the one I want to hear most. Ever since they turned the Unova Route 10 theme into a cameo in B/W2, I've been dying to have Route music back that will blow my mind and 120 is the king of that. Thankfully I loved the Kalos bike theme, so X/Y breeding was perfectly cool, but in Hoenn I'll be spending a lot of time in towns and on Routes.

In an attempt to get another subject going, what's everyone's opinion about what 6th gen hoenn music will be like? Idk if they'll go back to the brassy/trumpety(lol is that a word?) but it'll still probably kick ass like it did in 3rd gen. What OSTs are we looking foward to in particular? I know Route 113 and Mt. Pyre are tops on my list, along with a possible frontier brain remake, if it comes back.
Groudon/Kyogre theme, a proper theme for Lati@s, Battle Frontier, Battle Aces, and many others

I never thought of the Hoenn E4 like this. I always found Hoenn E4 hard because I was nearly always only Lv 40~45 when I got there (it's a lot to give away around 8 levels). In one game I JUST had Salamence while Fighting Drake and then Steven comes in with Lv 58 Metagross... The level curve could do with a little bit of tweaking (or the addition of Audino/XP Share ;) ) I could never find enough trainers to level up and ended up chasing Gabby and Ty around Hoenn leeching XP off of them as one of the few fast repeatable battles in the game.

I would die a little inside if they dropped from 5 mons down to 4. We need more trainers with 5/6 mons, not less. Throw them at us randomly too during the main game. Theres no way Ace Trainers at like Victory Road should only have 2/3 mons at most :/
The level curve should be fine with the addition of the new Exp. Share considering how it may not be obtained until the 3rd badge.

victory Rd had 2 trainers with 4 Mons. None higher other than Wally. At least the Gym Leaders for the most part had upwards of 3.

Personally, something I think would be cool is in addition to the PSS, Amie and Super Training on the bottom screen, a fourth thing could be added for the Pokénav.

Reactions: PME
Have TMs ever changed mid-gen? I know HMs have (DPPt had Defog while HGSS didn't), but I don't think they'd do that. Besides, they had a Move Tutor for Headbutt in Ilex Forest instead of making it a TM again in HGSS.
To be fair, though, this is the first time that we've seen a region swap mid-gen since the current TM mechanics were put in place, and because they are now non-tradeable, they could change a few of them. I do think that Secret Power will be a tutor, though, but that still leaves the issue of how they would introduce it on Route 111 as they did originally, without planting a tutor up there.

Also, PSS good, a mega for all E4 bad.

To be fair, though, this is the first time that we've seen a region swap mid-gen since the current TM mechanics were put in place, and because they are now non-tradeable, they could change a few of them. I do think that Secret Power will be a tutor, though, but that still leaves the issue of how they would introduce it on Route 111 as they did originally, without planting a tutor up there.

Also, PSS good, a mega for all E4 bad.
They could simply make it to where the guy who originally gave you the TM now just teaches it as a tutor move, like HGSS's Headbutt tutor.

As for the E4, I think that an expansion / diversification of their team depends entirely on whether or not the Hoenn dex gets expanded. Hopefully this time around we'll get to rematch them as well. They were registered in the pokenav in Emerald but only the gym leaders gave rematches.

A mega for all e4 would be awesome! Mega-Absol for Sidney,Mega-Bannete or Mega Sableye for Phoebe, Mega-Abomasnow for Glacia, Mega-Garchomp for Drake and Mega-Aggron for Steven(quit thinking about Mega-Metagross, people)! It would definately make e4 round 2 more challenging!

Yeah um, no. The elite four getting megas would be one of those moves that would ruin a game for me. I've always felt elite fours in general needed to be amped, but this is too much, too soon, and would feel like a lazy move by Game Freak to try to make these guys relevant. Make them actually present and important in the story first, then give them something cool, but don't go around giving every trainer and their mother access to mega evolution.

Yeah; it especially takes away from the special feel that the Champion's supposed to have.
Imagine if each E4 Member had a Mega Pokémon - I think at least two of them did have Pokémon that could mega evolve and the other two had options. It would certainly make the champion feel a lot more lame. I mean to be fair she was pretty lame anyway but at LEAST she had the honour of being the only one with a Mega.

I reckon they'll get Megas in their rematch battles but not when you battle them the first time.
Like the Kalos E4 did? Oh wait...

I see no reason to give Hoenn's E4 megas when Kalos's didn't

Edit: Actually, I heard some rumor about them only not giving Kalos's E4 megas was to add exclusivity to megas for the hype, and there is potential for megas in the 3rd game/sequel. If that's the case, Hoenn E4 megas makes some sense, but I'm still against it.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Let's hope with this change they also retcon Wurmples evolution style... Cascoon at night and Silcoon during the day. Let us please not have the personality value deciding which one I get thanks... I've had to catch upwards of ten Wurmple before I got one or the other. I assume the same will happen for Umbreon/Espeon.
I doubt it will change, day and night did exist already in the Hoenn, there were just no visual changes between them. In addition, they could have changed it in Generation IV (where they did in fact change the method slightly, if memory serves).

Edit:

[13:39] <&Agonist> yo Hozu
[13:40] <&Agonist> They changed the method of evolution for Wurmple slightly between Gen 3/4, right?
[13:40] <%Hozu> Gen 3/4 is different from Gen 5, yeah
[13:40] <%Hozu> one uses the whole PID, other uses top half of the PID

Last edited:
I'm also interested in the music. Somewhere in the BW2 code was an unused song that had some similar progressions to Rustboro City's music (which I was always in love with because it was elevator muzak done right). Makes me wonder if they planned to use an updated, strongly remixed version of the classic songs or keep it closer to the originals.
I mean, on one hand, why the hell not make a better quality version of the original scores? They're already making this as much of a rehash as possible by giving us two bikes again (and some other stuff that irritates me slightly less than a bike that doesn't shift gears), so it could make sense that they'd want to continue sticking to their source material in other aspects as closely as possible. But also, the HGSS music had moments where it differed dramatically from the GSC music, so it may also stand to reason that they would look to continue remixing the music to better match the tone they want to achieve if the composer feels that the RSE scores missed a few marks.

It´s a shame that Hoenn didn´t have Apricorns!
Some Gen5/6 Pokemon would really love those Fast, Lure, Heavy, Love, Moon, Friend or Level Balls now that they are breedable.
Trumpets will not save Hoenn remakes if no new PokeBalls are included!

It´s a shame that Hoenn didn´t have Apricorns!
Some Gen5/6 Pokemon would really love those Fast, Lure, Heavy, Love, Moon, Friend or Level Balls now that they are breedable.
Trumpets will not save Hoenn remakes if no new PokeBalls are included!
While it would actually be pretty nice to see some of those custom balls exported from Johto, I don't think that poke balls are GF's biggest focus. The thing about apricorn balls is that they're hand-made by Kurt, rather than built on a factory assembly line. However, it would be a nice call back to Johto to have some of the custom balls found around other games, as though they had been dropped by trainers who had visited Kurt.

Either way, poke balls have never been a terribly important aspect of the games, so I wouldn't expect much in that department.

Last edited:
In an attempt to get another subject going, what's everyone's opinion about what 6th gen hoenn music will be like? Idk if they'll go back to the brassy/trumpety(lol is that a word?) but it'll still probably kick ass like it did in 3rd gen. What OSTs are we looking foward to in particular? I know Route 113 and Mt. Pyre are tops on my list, along with a possible frontier brain remake, if it comes back.
Besides the Regis and gym leader music. What route is north of the desert where you could rebattle that news team(one had exploud and the other magneton)? The music there I used to just let play.

Agonist

GF wouldn't do that. They keep the main story non-competitive for the kids. It'd be cool.. But yeah, its not happening.
They can always give them a post-E4 power-up, boost levels to 50, and make the AI somewhat batter. In fact, this would be a cool addition to all the trainers you can re-battle throughout the storyline.

They can always give them a post-E4 power-up, boost levels to 50, and make the AI somewhat batter. In fact, this would be a cool addition to all the trainers you can re-battle throughout the storyline.
That's true. What if the Vs. Recorder came back and made every trainer at least partially competitive? Would that work? Also would Game Freak ever do that?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think it's practically given that rematch levels will be raised.

To be blunt, RSE sucked in this respect. It was really, really, awful. If you had no friends with "tailored" Secret Bases, and wanted to train your Pokémon past level 70 or thereabout, all you could do was challenging Elite Four over and over and over again. The highest level of an Elite Four Pokémon in RS was 58. Not as thoroughly crappy as GSC, but still pretty bad. Getting anything to lvl. 100 was an exercise in patience.

And training your Pokémon to be good enough to challenge the Elite Four on their own? Well... there were trainers with Pokémon in the 30-ish range, and Gabby & Ty eventually got their Pokémon to lvl. 39, but between them and the Elite Four, you had to do a LOT of grinding. Or happen to know a friend with a Link Cable and enough patience to fill his team with Blissey.

Other remakes handled this abrupt stop of the level curve pretty decently. The trend has been that rematch trainers and the E4 have gotten stronger and stronger Pokémon from game to game, giving you a decent amount of experience even after your Pokémon passes the lvl. 80 mark. I expect certain rematch trainers' Pokémon to be at or near lvl 50, with a few daily rematches in the 50-65 range, and then the Elite Four's levels being in the 70s post-story. GameFreak knows that we like lvl. 100 Pokémon, and at least they try somewhat to enable us to acquire those within a decent amount of time.

Agonist

I don't get how everyone says their teams were underleveled in RSE. I don't know if it was just me, but I never had that problem (my teams were always between 50-60, usually closer to 55-60, and whatever Electric/Grass type I had closer to 65 or 70), and I definitely didn't take any extra time to grind them to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)