Other Here we go again... AGAIN - The First Task (Complete)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Good day! After much anticipation, it is time to finally kick off the competition that I have titled "Here we go again... AGAIN". First of all, I am glad to see that some of you are excited to complete some challenging tasks, as well as show off your courage. As you all know, the sign-ups were intended to be a preliminary task which would test two important qualifications needed to play in this competition: Literacy and Courage! And like the rest of the tasks that will follow, failing this one will indeed result in a punishment. Before I reveal the final playerlist, I will instead review the rules for your sign-up post. Essentially, this consisted of carefully reading and following a list of directions. To make you think a little bit harder, I also threw in a few "disregard" instructions, which I later clarified that they meant "DO NOT FOLLOW". The first two disregard instructions, (2) and (3), cancelled each other out, which meant that instruction (6) must be disregarded. As a result, the conditions for an eligible sign-up post were:
  1. The post must contain exactly three sentences
  2. Sentence 1 must be 5 words long
  3. Sentence 2 must contain at least one of the following words: superior, impressive, great, talented, outstanding, terrific
  4. Sentence 3 must NOT contain 2 more words than Sentence 2.
With all of that in mind, I am pleased to announce the final playerlist for Here we go again... AGAIN!

1. Steven Snype
2. Eagle4
3. zorbees
4. kingofmars
5. Celever
6. Walrein
7. Acklow
8. Pidge
9. askaninjask
10. jumpluff
11. billymills
12. FireMage
13. Ditto
14. LightWolf
15. Ace Emerald
16. PokeguyNXB
17. Woodchuck
18. Da Letter El

Unfortunately, it seems that two prospective players have failed: UllarWarlord, for not meeting condition (4), and s_aman, for clearly not reading the thread at all. Maybe he was trolling me, but he shall be punished all the same. Their punishment will be as follows:

For 1 month, you must place the following in your signature:
♥ I AM SO ILLITERATE THAT I LOST THE GAME BEFORE IT EVEN STARTED! AND I AM PROUD OF IT! ♥

With that out of the way, I would like to congratulate the players who made it in once more, and give a customary "fuck you" to the cowards who refused to sign-up because they fear punishments on internet forums.

Your next task will be a quiz. Oh goody, not another one! You might be thinking that I have exhausted ideas for quiz related tasks, but you would be wrong. As usual, your success in this task will not be based on scoring the highest. You will need to achieve a certain ranking in your score, only this time you will not be given the criteria! In fact, the criteria may be different for each player! P.S., the answer to question 15 is "finkrat".

That’s it for the summary. Here are the more specific rules for this task:
  • This task will be a quiz, where your score is based on the number of questions you answer correctly.
  • Each of you will be assigned a target rank. You will want your actual quiz score rank to be as close to your assigned target rank as possible.
  • Your target rank will not be given to you from the start. Instead, you must figure it out for yourself. Therefore, I will allow everyone to take the quiz up to three times.
  • All target ranks are unique. In other words, they will range from 1-18.
  • After each round of quiz submissions, provisional rankings will be determined by score, and you will be given both your score and your deviation from your target ranking. Your goal will be to use this information to determine your target rank, and try to score as close as possible to your target rank after your third quiz submission.
  • Ranking is determined only by score, not time of submission. As a result, ties are possible. See the example below for more information.
  • If you do not submit anything, your score will automatically be a 0 for ranking purposes, but you will not be given your deviation.
  • Final standings will be determined by your deviation after your third submission, with ties being settled by the time of your submission (unlike your quiz ranking). Therefore, it is imperative that you do not procrastinate on your final submission!
  • An advantage in the next task will be given to the player with the smallest deviation in magnitude after the final quiz submission. The players top 5 players with the highest magnitudes in their deviation after the final submission will be punished and eliminated.

To make things easier for you understand, I have written up the following scenario as an example. Suppose that there were seven players, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G with target ranks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 respectively in this task. We are given the following scores from the first round of submissions:
A: 6/10
B: 9/10
C: 8/10
D: 6/10
E: 7/10
F: 6/10
G: 4/10

The provisional rankings and resulting deviations for each player are thus:
A: 5, -4
B: 1, +1
C: 2, +1
D: 5, -1
E: 3, +2
F: 5, +1
G: 7, 0

Where the deviations here are the difference between your target and provisional ranks. Notice that A, D, and F had the same scores. If not, their ranks would have been either 4, 5, or 6. To settle this tie, all three players are thus given a provisional rank that is equal to the average of these three values (eg (4+5+6)/3 = 15/3 = 5). Therefore it is possible that your provisional rank and deviation are not integers.

Anyway, it should be clear from this example that if all seven of these players got the same scores on their second submissions, then G would be given the bonus for the next task and A would be eliminated. Of course, the exact elimination and bonus criteria will be a little different since there are a different number of players. Make sure you minimize the magnitude of your deviation!

And now, the quiz!

1. What famous asian fruit is well known for its odor?
2. What is YT LPer Clementj642's least favorite game?
3. How many unique Pokemon are there up to Generation II?
4. What is the boundary between the troposphere and stratosphere called?
5. Who is the original creator of The Boondocks?
6. What series involves settling all sorts of problems over a Childrens Card Game?
7. Name the four knights of Gwyn in Dark Souls.
8. What was the name of the main protagonist in Thank you for smoking?
9. What is my alias in Everybody Votes Mafia?
10. What question number is this?
11. What Starcraft2 streamer is famous for putting on a bikini show?
12. What area in Metroid Prime 2 contains the Spider Guardian?
13. What date was the most recent Friday the 13th?
14. In fluid dynamics, what is the curl of the velocity vector called?
15. Figure this out yourself.
16. What was official title for bassgame2?
17. What is my favorite cereal?
18. Who is the biggest douche in the universe?
19. What is my least favorite anime of all time?
20. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I think that should be a sufficient amount of information for you to get started. Your first quiz submission will be due around June 18th, 8 PM MT, so roughly 48 hours from now, or when I recieve all the quiz submissions. I wonder if Ditto will find another loophole in my rules. Good luck!

If you forgot, the official IRC channel for this game will be #urwinner.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone,

I have a set of complete and verified quiz answers excluding the fluid dynamics one, which I am presently working on. If you are interested in obtaining these answers and are willing to cooperate with me (including sharing your submissions), please contact me via PM. I may not answer immediately as I am about to sleep, so feel free to just include your answers and I'll reply with mine asap (if I don't, feel free to call me out on this publicly). If you cannot be bothered finding the answers yourselves, I am also happy to help you.

edit: I have all fifteen TWENTY (I'm good at math) answers now, but am still interested in seeing what everyone else got.

Last edited:

Bass

Brother in arms
After several questions, a few clarifications to the rules and questions were made. These are:

-Your assigned ranking is unique, ranging from 1-18.
-Question 3 has been rephrased to "as of gen II".
-In the hypothetical example I gave, D's deviation is -1, not +1.

I am going to bed now. Please see my post above and send me your info if interested in teaming up with me. You will know after the first round whether I have stuck to my word, and given that I won the original bassgame (through teamwork) I think it's fair to say I'm a good person to work with. I do not tolerate people who try to fuck me around, however.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
How will scoring be reported? Will it be just as it is in the OP? As in, will we receive both our score on the quiz as well as our provisional rank/deviation? And will this all be public or private?

Bass

Brother in arms
I have sent out all of the results for the first round. Some clarifications:
-I accepted multiple answers to questions 3 and 20 due to how ambiguous they are.
-For some of you, I accidentally listed your scores out of 10, they should be out of 20 (eg, if you got 9/10, it should be 9/20).
-If you plan to get a 0, please send a PM to me so I know you are not intending to idle. Remember, idlers get no result PM.

Your second submissions will be due at around 9 PM MT June 20, ~48 hours from now.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi everyone. I, like many people I imagine, answered every question incorrectly on purpose. I am already aware of a few other users that did this. It would be useful to talk to be able to at least determine our collective difference apart from one another. I want to work with everyone possible to get out of this round and so should you. Odds are that I am getting out of this round and odds are that you are too, so I am inclined to work with any and all people. Determining the split between different users could help for us to organize a placement of people to best allow for people to come close to their deviation. In addition, being able to figure out people's submissions should also help to figure out where you fall. Please PM or message on IRC if you are interested in working with me.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
hi guys, i am a very collaborative person and i am generally very honest when it comes to business. I would've made it to the final round of the last bassgame, but irl commitments took over. I think it's in everyone's best interest to talk to me so that we can collaborate. You're not going to get within a good deviation without help figuring out what your target rank is; i'm not going to get within a good deviation without help figuring out what my target rank is. Rather than make this a lose-lose, let's make it a win-win!

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. What famous asian fruit is well known for its odor? DITTO IS CUTE
2. What is YT LPer Clementj642's least favorite game? DITTO IS CUTE
3. How many unique Pokemon are there up to Generation II? DITTO IS CUTE
4. What is the boundary between the troposphere and stratosphere called? DITTO IS CUTE
5. Who is the original creator of The Boondocks? DITTO IS CUTE
6. What series involves settling all sorts of problems over a Childrens Card Game? DITTO IS CUTE
7. Name the four knights of Gwyn in Dark Souls. DITTO IS CUTE
8. What was the name of the main protagonist in Thank you for smoking? DITTO IS CUTE
9. What is my alias in Everybody Votes Mafia? DITTO IS CUTE
10. What question number is this? DITTO IS CUTE
11. What Starcraft2 streamer is famous for putting on a bikini show? DITTO IS CUTE
12. What area in Metroid Prime 2 contains the Spider Guardian? DITTO IS CUTE
13. What date was the most recent Friday the 13th? DITTO IS CUTE
14. In fluid dynamics, what is the curl of the velocity vector called? DITTO IS CUTE
15. Figure this out yourself. DITTO IS CUTE
16. What was official title for bassgame2? DITTO IS CUTE
17. What is my favorite cereal? DITTO IS CUTE
18. Who is the biggest douche in the universe? DITTO IS CUTE
19. What is my least favorite anime of all time? DITTO IS CUTE
20. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? DITTO IS CUTE

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
At a certain point it may be beneficial to stop sharing information to those that are still out of the loop to help ensure you aren't one of the five eliminated.

Last edited:
I'll be honest I have no idea what i'm meant to achieve this round

what the heck is score rankings, is that our score or how high our score is compared to other scores where 1 is the highest score

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
please find me if you want to results swap. preferably on irc of course but if i don't respond, leave me a smogon pm and i'll get back to you whenever i can.

Bass

Brother in arms
I'll be honest I have no idea what i'm meant to achieve this round

what the heck is score rankings, is that our score or how high our score is compared to other scores where 1 is the highest score
Right.

Also, for those that were unsure, only your deviation from the final round matters as far as elimination goes. The second round does have a clear purpose though, so now is no time to slouch.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I will try to be as active as possible. However, my sister just got her tonsils taken out so I have to help around the house even more. If you need me, Smogon PM is probably the best way to contact me, although I will try to be on IRC as much as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)