Media One Piece (spoilers!)

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
I'm sort of hoping that Luffy gets the parasite treatment, it would be quite entertaining. Anyways, we've all seen what happens when you try to put Luffy in a cage.
Im hoping for this as well, I want to see whether or not Conquerors Haki is the only way to break out of Parasite, as Im typing this up I just realized that the reason why Doflamingo can control people with Parasite no matter how strong they are is because of the fact that must embed his Parasite Strings with Conquerors, or some conjunction of Armament Haki and Conquerors. It makes sense that Kings Haki is required to break out of Parasite, as Parasite is basically some one else taking control of you while Kings Haki is your definitive spirit. As I stated in the previous post, Im looking forward to that fight alot, I expect Luffy to unveil a new technique, tbh, If Luffy performed a Gomu Gomu no Mi Red Hawk Gattling Gun I would absolutely die, however Realistically he could end it with a Grizzly Magnum or something else. Again time will tell.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this happened against moria didn't it?
Yeah, but it really wasn't that satisfying. Luffy was basically just ramming into Moria instead of punching or kicking him. Like imagine Gear 2nd + 3rd while using Bazooka or Gatling. THAT sounds much more awesome than headbutting.

CrushinDefeat

this happened against moria didn't it?
Yes Aldaron, it was Gomu Gomu no Gigante Jet Fusen iirc, it was yeah like Valmanway said a human cannonball, to be honest while I want to a Gigante Elephant Jet Gattling or Bazooka, I would actually like to see that move again only updated. Luffy with full body haki would be crazy especially with Gear 3rd, he would literally be a giant cannonball.

New one's out... Sabo's epic! (i've been loving Sabo for 4 straight chapters now. This never happened to any SH, even Godssop). Looks like he just bumped Marco as my 3rd favorite OP character (Ussop, Luffy, Sabo, Marco... in that order)

And yeah, looks like somebody betrayed Luffy and Law there.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
atm the obvious "somebody who betrayed" Luffy looks like Kelly Funk, since was the one that told luffy to get there. Wonder if Luffy bothers to call robin back and tell him he's stuck with DD or if he just fights him.

My guess is the latter

also, obligatory fangirlgasm for sabo

also fk u locopoke

CrushinDefeat

Yeah It feels too obvious, maybe Kelly Funk genuinely didn't know that the passage lead them to a dead end, but it seems really unlikely. As far as the situation goes for Luffy and Law, I have a feeling that Luffy will make an exit or just start fighting Doflamingo at this moment. I thought of an extremely crazy theory in which Kelly( owner of the Jake Jake no Mi) was going to try to bait Doflamingo; with Doflamingo distracted he could attempt to have him "wear" Kelly, thus allowing Kelly to have Doflamingo's powers and abilities but this is extremely farfetched. In regards to the Fujitora vs Sabo situation, Im loving every moment so far. Im getting worried that Fujitora won't be able to fight as well as he can with the Bird Cage limitations in place. I also feel that Fujitora may be out classed at this point. I understand that he is an admiral but we've only seen a limited amount of his gravity powers. Sabo, while having little control with his new powers actually has trained for years and is well versed in combat. When Sabo took out Bastille I absolutely lost it. Sabo could have cracked Bastilles skull with his Dragon Talon! Also not really related towards the chapter but I find it interesting that Oda has taken and created the Jake Jake no Mi(Jacket Jacket Fruit), Ito Ito no Mi( String String Fruit), Nui Nui( Sew Sew Fruit iirc Leo's Fruit) and Ivankov's sidekick's (Izuna iirc) Devil Fruit, and even Diamante's Flutter Flutter Fruit. All these "clothing" kinds of Devil Fruits are pretty interesting to me. I'd be cool if we even got a fabric Devil Fruit even. Just something interesting I wanted to address. Looking forward to next week. Sanji! Where you at!!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well, i think kelly funk honestly didn't know that the hidden passage was a dead end. he'd be justified in this case due to the confusion that the sugar knockout and birdcage caused. alternatively, doflamingo could be controlling him, but there's no other real justification for that besides the whole birdcage thing.

also, SABO HYPE TRAIN GET!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see why Dragon or someone wouldn't refer to someone they've raised as a child as their's.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yea exactly lol

japanese to english translations are famous for being awful, not due to the quality of the translator (though this is often also the case) but simply due to significant differences in how nuances in each language work (regarding syntax / vernacular etc.)

also Lady Bug I don't think it was ivankov because I have to assume sabo has a drastic reaction like that when he found ace was killed, which was during the war, and ivankov was with luffy then

it could also simply be him being distraught later but i dont see it

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gonna open a huge can of worms but I've started watching a lot more subs lately due to actually knowing what new anime is coming out, and one thing I notice as a writer, is that the writing in subs compared to dubs tends to be fucking atrocious. I guess when you dub something you actually have to hear someone say it out loud, but yeah the nuances in language difference can be really stomach churning.

Aldaron

geriatric
lol vonFiedler , what arc / episode numbers?

I have hated the animation quality itself for about 3 arcs now (at least), and that is hatred even before reaching the level of the quality of the subs lol

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I wasn't so much talking about One Piece specifically, but I remember back in the scene where they called a meeting with the Shichibukai I compared the subtitles to the dubbed lines and the subs were really simplistic short phrases while the dub lines were longer and more eloquent. Probably not exact translations, but you gotta fit words to those flaps and sound half reasonable, so maybe it's an art from adversity sort of thing.

The biggest example I can think of is Attack on Titan, where the sub situation killed my ability to watch it in Japanese. I either had to put up with dialogue that didn't sound like humans would speak it, or "Yotunna". And even if I cared to choose between the two websites shuffled back and forth between both, it was awful.

I agree. Subs are generally very wordy and/or bland, and they don't read like actual dialogue. Plus, it's harder to get a feel for Japanese voices as an English speaker.

I like watching OP in English cause it's such a character oriented show, and I think the VA's do a fantastic job for the most part (even if half the Straw Hats are DBZ characters). Something like Naruto though, I can handle subs because I'm mainly in it for the action, and ninjas sound cooler speaking Japanese imo.

Yu Yu Hakusho is another great English adaptation. Freaking love the dubbing/voicing in that show.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
OP in English cause it's such a character oriented show
Naruto though, I can handle subs because I'm mainly in it for the action
One Piece is all about the adventure, Naruto is about the characters.

Having gotten hooked on One Piece last year, it's pretty excruciating to wait for the new funimation stuff to come out and I keep teetering on just watching it in Japanese, but like, it's a looooong ass show and I just want to watch it with lunch or in bed. And I'd have a lot of episodes to binge if I ever cut loose and started in Japanese.

One Piece is all about the adventure, Naruto is about the characters.

Having gotten hooked on One Piece last year, it's pretty excruciating to wait for the new funimation stuff to come out and I keep teetering on just watching it in Japanese, but like, it's a looooong ass show and I just want to watch it with lunch or in bed. And I'd have a lot of episodes to binge if I ever cut loose and started in Japanese.
Ehhh. Naruto has an expansive character list but Team 7 gets most of the spotlight. Minor characters leave more of an impression on me in One Piece, just cause they look strange or have a colorful personality.

It sucks they delayed Thriller Bark til September. Can't blame you for wanting to go ahead. I would really miss hearing Chris Sabat do his thing though haha.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It'll be interesting to hear Ian Sinclair voice Brook. I was pretty content when I heard his voice acting in Strong World, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in Thriller Bark. Also, hearing the "YOHOHOHOHO!" in a voice that isn't the japanese dub will be quite hilarious and entertaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)