The Smogon Mario Kart 8 Thread

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't plan on buying, although a friend has it and I've yet to play. I have to ask how are the past game courses doing this time, do any of them have slight updates this time?

I don't plan on buying, although a friend has it and I've yet to play. I have to ask how are the past game courses doing this time, do any of them have slight updates this time?
Most have small changes like gravity and some underwater parts of Sherbet Land, but they're otherwise mostly the same

I've been having terrible problems with the Wi-Fi recently. I played seven online matches today and only completed two of them before getting an error message. I've never played online using the Wii U before (not like there were any games supporting it anyway), so does anyone have tips on how I can stop the Wi-Fi cutting out?

The updates to old courses is a lot more than previous installments. Some of them almost feel completely new. For instance, Yoshi's Valley looks totally different, has a lot more paths, a lot of the paths have been changed up, labyrinth is longer, dirt roads that change traction, and some more changes.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I've been having terrible problems with the Wi-Fi recently. I played seven online matches today and only completed two of them before getting an error message. I've never played online using the Wii U before (not like there were any games supporting it anyway), so does anyone have tips on how I can stop the Wi-Fi cutting out?
I think I remember Nintendo recommending a wired internet connection for the Wii U in the first place. Maybe try picking up a Wii LAN adapter and see if that helps.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Me and TheMantyke did quite a few rounds of public battle mode matches (I just joined him on whim). And in one of the matches, THIS HAPPENED

3 things:
a) NNID: PokeguyNXB
b) My favourite new track is Cloudtop Cruise
c) Is the Smogon Tournament up yet?

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Relatively stupid question: What happens when you bump into someone and you both spin? sometimes when i hit people they get smacked down and sometimes I end up spinning out and i dont really get why

Relatively stupid question: What happens when you bump into someone and you both spin? sometimes when i hit people they get smacked down and sometimes I end up spinning out and i dont really get why
If you're in anti-gravity, you and whoever you bumped into will spin and get a speed boost. In non anti-gravity, you will just bump the other person aside.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More videos!!

This one features Limi Melee Mewtwo and Lyto

Near Green Shell Experience

My victory in 150 CC Lightning Cup (video is a play off of George of the Jungle if not obvious)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The novelty factor has really worn off for me now...

Playing online is the most infuriating thing I think I have ever done. Being 1st/2nd and then being hit by every mother and their son, and falling all the way back to the lower top ten and then getting single shells/coins etc is pretty shitty. Then you fight your way back through on raw speed only to end up with your own green shell hitting you back in your face (trust me, I am an expert at those shots).

I'm going to go back to single player for the time being and try to win the rest of the cups, but online is kinda off limits for me atm.

Finally got a Wii Lan Adapter today! It works really well: I went from barely being able to do a full race to being able to do races for a few hours with very little interruptions. If anyone wants to do some online races, just hit me up on #pokemon.

Also, does anyone know how much VR you need for a worldwide race to be 150cc? Right now I'm at ~2.2K VR and I seem to be racing at 100cc, which is annoyingly slow.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, does anyone know how much VR you need for a worldwide race to be 150cc? Right now I'm at ~2.2K VR and I seem to be racing at 100cc, which is annoyingly slow.
before i go on, know that i'm sitting somewhere around 3.7k vr at the moment, and that i'm speaking from experience, so what i say may not be completely accurate.

for race speed, it seems that it varies depending on the average vr of the people i'm playing against. if i'm playing w/ people w/ an average rating around a high 1k to low 2k vr, then i feel the races run at 100cc. if i'm playing w/ people w/ an average vr around a high 2k+, then that's when the races feel like 150cc to me. this isn't fully consistent though, since i've had races w/ people that have 3k+ vr that feel like they're 100cc races. not sure if this answers your question, but that's how it's felt for me.

also, a question for all of you. what combinations have you been using, and how effective do you feel they are? i'm asking this because i want to try out different combos and break away from what i usually use. to answer my own question, i've been using a cruiserweight (usually rosalina) w/ a variant of the mach 8 (mach 8, circuit special, sports coupe, gold standard), (cyber) slick tires, and whatever glider i feel like using, and it's been doing alright for me (if my rating, which isn't all that great imo, has anything to say about it).

anyways, hit me up on here, twitter, and / or miiverse (all relevant links in my sig) if you want to race. also, if you've raced a mii named βοーßοßο from california in a worldwide race, you were racing me!

Last edited:
i've been using a cruiserweight (usually rosalina) w/ a variant of the mach 8 (mach 8, circuit special, sports coupe, gold standard), (cyber) slick tires, and whatever glider i feel like using, and it's been doing alright for me (if my rating, which isn't all that great imo, has anything to say about it).
this combo is pretty inefficient. you get more out of using super heavy + teddy buggy + slick + accel glider.

you get +0.25 water speed, +0.75 anti gravity speed, +0.25 weight, +0.75 traction, and +0.25 mini turbo while you only lose -0.5 handling. handling is hardly important so it's a very good trade.

unfortunately in this game, the super heavies outclass pretty much every other weight class. +2 speed and +2 weight >> +1 accel / traction / +2 handling / smaller body frame in some cases. metals are an alternative to super heavies if you're willing to trade 0.5 speed for 0.5 handling and a smaller body frame. there are also some decent combination with medium weights. you could try rosalina + standard quad + roller + accel glider for cruiser weights but it's not the best combination unless you're racing in dolphin shoals lol.

in terms of how important stats are: you want as much (land) speed / weight possible; at least 2 (3 is nice, 4 starts to diminish the effect but still viable with inside drift bikes) acceleration unless it's a top speed combination in which case you have to live with 1; mini-turbo helps offset the speed advantage if you're using a high acceleration combination but doesn't do it entirely; it's nice to have 2-2.5 traction so your combination is more consistent overall in the low traction courses but not 100% needed, and handling you can mostly ignore.

as for the other speeds, anti gravity speed is nice to have as there are a lot of tracks with anti-gravity, and some like both of the rainbow roads are mostly anti-gravity. water speed only noticeably helps in the notorious dolphin shoals (which is as matchup dependent as BW OU - a lot of the combinations that have high water speed also have high acceleration, good traction, and high miniturbo.) and a bit in water park while air speed should just be ignored.

my personal favorite combination is:

super heavy / landship / slick / weight increasing glider OR super heavy / mach 8 / rollers / accel increasing glider

not sure which is better but i've been leaning towards the former.

other good combos are:

2 accel fast: super heavy / teddy buggy / slick / accel glider

fastest you can get with 2 accel (5.25 land speed, 5.5 anti grv speed), 4.75 weight, sexy atv drift, decent traction and mini turbo.

very fast: super heavy / speed kart / fastest speed tires / weight glider OR super heavy / speed kart / gold/metal tires / weight glider.

former is slightly faster while latter has a bit more weight and traction. latter is more of a 'counter' vehicle: if the super fast combination is all over the place, the latter can bump that combination further. otherwise it's a bit worse than the former.

inside drift bikes:

super heavy / inside drift bike / rollers / accel glider

4.25 speed with 4 accel is cool. good mini turbo, great at turning, great at breaking from the pack, but a bit light.

super heavy / inside drift bike / slick / super glider

5.25 speed with 2 accel. traction is garbage.

there are some other good/decent combinations but i don't want to go too indepth now.

there are some other good/decent combinations but i don't want to go too indepth now.
I had no idea that Mario Kart was this intense. I just bought a Wii U and MK8 and would love to get better. Where can I find the information and kart parts stats stuff you posted, or any other of this competitive racing info?

Also,
NNID: nsiderbam

I had no idea that Mario Kart was this intense. I just bought a Wii U and MK8 and would love to get better. Where can I find the information and kart parts stats stuff you posted, or any other of this competitive racing info?

Also,
NNID: nsiderbam
Time trials are where the real competition happens. There's just too much luck involved in VS races, particularly since there's no option to remove items.

But online VS races are good fun for noobs like myself. I got my first win in a twelve-man race today (I suck monumental amounts of balls).

yo we're starting a tournament in 5 minutes. no special restrictions or anything.

0932-8497-7833 is the code and it's called 'Smog'

The game appears to be promising, however it looks like an HD Mario Kart 7.
Oh not at all. Anti-gravity is accually a much needed addition, and to quote the GameXplain review, it's the glue that holds 7's new track features (flight and underwater) together. Also, having seperate versus ratings for races and battle is neat.

most importantly, the tracks are way better than mario kart 7.

most of the mk 7 nitro tracks were really mediocre. the only i actually enjoyed were music park and rainbow road. mk 7 had a good retro track selection, but mk 8 still beats mk 7's retro tracks because they made a lot of good changes to the retro tracks in mk8.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are good combinations for midweight characters?

So far I've been using Luigi - Flame/Wood/Clouds with pretty good results, but is there anything better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)