steam summer sale

^ be wary though, their email system for when stuff on your wishlist goes on sale is horrid. Almost everything on my wishlist for example is being discounted during the summer sale, but I haven't seen a single email. Best to just check twice daily during the sale.

yeah ofc keep checking, but it's caught a heap of stuff for me outside of the sale which is helpful because i am: Not Attentive

I just went ahead and bought these:

Terraria
Sonic games
FFVII
Ducktales Remastered
Spiral Knights (freebie?)

Don't have the time to buy the heavy stuff being listed right now and I have a couple more games to finish anyway, great thread thanks.

Decided to buy the Skyrim Legendary Edition, also bought Papers, Please yesterday. Gonna go try that out now and come back with feedback.

Nothing's interesting me yet :(

Kinda hoping Castle of Illusion and Strider come down a bit...

Also should've waited on FFVII, good chance it will be at 66% off soon if it wins the vote.

ended up picking up skyrim for five bucks too even though i have it on console for modding purposes
imo after like the first 70-100 hours (greatly depending on your completionism/number of savefiles/ability to waste time) mods are what really breathe the life back into it

since I still play it I was considering getting the dlc but since I still haven't even finished the main story etc. and none of the dlc's premises interest me that much...

throwing it out there to jump on transistor if it ever goes down, as likely as that may be for a fairly new game

it's an RPG from the peeps that made bastion and just oh my god i love it

E: haven't finished it so i can't say anything about length but it's just that kind of game where i'll sit for half an hour theorycrafting in the ability screen and then spend an equal amount of time studying the level and shit and it's just great when you let yourself delve into it. and the atmosphere... x.x

Last edited:
I missed the Papers, Please flash sale by an hour or two, but there were enough good deals today to prompt me into purchasing a few titles from my wishlist:

- The Stanley Parable ($14.99 $5.99 - Daily Deal, ends tomorrow)
- The Swapper ($14.99 $2.99 - flash sale, ends in 4 hours)
- The 39 Steps ($14.99 $3.74 - visual adaptation of the original John Buchan novel, though I have not read it)
- LYNE ($2.99 $0.74 - cute puzzle game, dirt cheap but not Winter 2013 Sale super hexagon cheap)

Other things people might want to pick up if interested:
- Thomas Was Alone ($9.99 $3.99)
- Risk of Rain ($9.99 $4.99)
- To the Moon ($9.99 $2.99)
- Psychonauts ($9.99 $3.39)
- Fable: The Lost Chapters ($9.99 $3.39)

Also I picked up a summer sale foil card from my purchases, so I'll sell that on the marketplace soon and use the $ to pick up To the Moon.

yes yes yes yes, I must second picking up To the Moon. If you're the kind of person who hates reading, don't bother, because it's more or less a linear visual novel with a couple of gameplay segments, but it's an incredibly beautiful (visually, sonically, textually) and emotional couple of hours.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
imo after like the first 70-100 hours (greatly depending on your completionism/number of savefiles/ability to waste time) mods are what really breathe the life back into it

since I still play it I was considering getting the dlc but since I still haven't even finished the main story etc. and none of the dlc's premises interest me that much...
You don't really need any of the DLC tbqh. Dawnguard is honestly kinda boring and I wasn't particularly fond of the Vampire Lord class (Fire weakness sucks), and Hearthfire is only useful for the unlimited storage that comes with having a house + a place to keep a horse that isn't Shadowmere. I have not played through Dragonborn yet but it seems to be the best of the DLC from what I have heard.

I take it you're like me and keep making new characters/trying stuff instead of just doing the main quest once and for all lol

For those of you new to Steam sales: do not buy a game that is not a daily deal or flash sale until the final day of the sale. you are risking that game becoming a daily/flash which means you paid more than you had to. games on sale will remain on sale until the final day of the sale, so pick them up then. this way you'll have gone through all the dailies/flash sales and won't regret buying a game that became a daily the next day.

Also, for the next 6 hours Sleeping Dogs is a flash sale for 3.99. It's one of my top 5 games of last gen and looks amazing with the texture pack. The fighting is a lot like the batman arkam games so I'd pick it up if any of you enjoy those games. Sleeping Dogs was one of the few games I bought on launch last gen (since it was originally True Crime HK) and it was easily worth $60 nvrm 4 :)

man i'm just buying games on the off chance that i find a time to play them in the future (especially since i'll be buying a new laptop this summer that can game better) when i probably won't lmao

they're just so cheap omg

For those of you new to Steam sales: do not buy a game that is not a daily deal or flash sale until the final day of the sale. you are risking that game becoming a daily/flash which means you paid more than you had to. games on sale will remain on sale until the final day of the sale, so pick them up then. this way you'll have gone through all the dailies/flash sales and won't regret buying a game that became a daily the next day.

Also, for the next 6 hours Sleeping Dogs is a flash sale for 3.99. It's one of my top 5 games of last gen and looks amazing with the texture pack. The fighting is a lot like the batman arkam games so I'd pick it up if any of you enjoy those games. Sleeping Dogs was one of the few games I bought on launch last gen (since it was originally True Crime HK) and it was easily worth $60 nvrm 4 :)
thoughts on the dlc?

Fireburn thanks for the second opinion, I'm inclined to agree with you, especially as I don't really like the vamp stuff (although I do intend to play as a vamp sometime, maybe with mods). I have a modded Proudspire Manor which is cheaper than Hearthfire, and I really like Frost and Shadowmere :p And I only have a few save files, but I don't find the main story very compelling (neither side interests me AT ALL, nor the Dragonborn shit), so I tend to just roam around roleplaying and doing quests. I found a mod for it that supposedly changes everything to GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire stuff, so I plan to try that out soon and then I'll give the main story a go.

Ugh typical Steam sales. I'll be doing uni shit or whatever but constantly stop to check for the flash sales / vote on the new community choices etc. @_@

Rajan: WELCOME TO YOUR FIRST STEAM SALE. Seriously, I spent a stupid amount of money the first time around and still haven't played enough of them LOL but I guess it's nice to know they're there...? I tend to play the ones I buy outside of Steam sales far more often, since they're not impulse buys, and since Steam sales usually put the same games on sale every time (who DOESN'T own Terraria by now?), I fortunately have spent less and less every year.

Shamefully, someone joke gifted me Secret of the Magic Crystal and I legit played more of this than half the games I own :(

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just built a gaming pc and this is my first steam sale. Before I only had Skyrim that I bought at launch and Watch Dogs that came with my graphics card, so I have picked up a ton of games. I have bought Terreria, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Pack, Skyrim Legendary for DLC's, Arkham Origins, Fable Lost Chapters, Witcher 1+2, and Dragon Age Origin. I'm thinking about picking up Sleeping Dogs today and am looking to buy CSGO, Morrowind, and both KOTOR's later.

Are their any other games that I should keep my eye out for?

Right now I'm really just looking to build my library up as I should have a lot of time to play games this upcoming school year. If you want to add me on Steam my ID is the same as here.

I just built a gaming pc and this is my first steam sale. Before I only had Skyrim that I bought at launch and Watch Dogs that came with my graphics card, so I have picked up a ton of games. I have bought Terreria, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Pack, Skyrim Legendary for DLC's, Arkham Origins, Fable Lost Chapters, Witcher 1+2, and Dragon Age Origin. I'm thinking about picking up Sleeping Dogs today and am looking to buy CSGO, Morrowind, and both KOTOR's later.

Are their any other games that I should keep my eye out for?

Right now I'm really just looking to build my library up as I should have a lot of time to play games this upcoming school year. If you want to add me on Steam my ID is the same as here.
Source games. Valve's IPs always go on sale for dirt cheap, so pick up the Half Life's and L4D's since I'm assuming you never played them. You can download mods + texture packs for stuff like HL2 to make it look a lot better since a lot of these older games don't age well.

Metro LL + 2033 are a lot of fun but are extremely demanding so keep that in mind if you pick them up.

Looking at my library I'd also look out for: Natural Selection 2, System Shock 2, TWD S1 + 2, Chivalry, Alan Wake, FTL, Ys I + II, Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed, Deus Ex games

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some Daily Deals worth highlighting, I'm sure you all remembered me gushing over Tomb Raider and that's only $5 right now. Very good.

But forget about that, probably the second most criminally underrated game of its generation is $5 right now. Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is a game so stuffed with fun content the studio that made it really had no way to ever earn the money they spent back, and you can get it for only $5. For me, this game just obliterated Skyrim with it's lusciously detailed world, involving quests, and fun combat. Considering the number of people who bought Skyrim for the same amount of money, you just HAVE to get Kingdoms of Amalur, it makes Skyrim look like butt.

I played Kingdoms of Amalur for 200 hours when it came out and I never stopped having fun. Only as I killed the final boss was I like "yep, that's enough".

Some Daily Deals worth highlighting, I'm sure you all remembered me gushing over Tomb Raider and that's only $5 right now. Very good.

But forget about that, probably the second most criminally underrated game of its generation is $5 right now. Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is a game so stuffed with fun content the studio that made it really had no way to ever earn the money they spent back, and you can get it for only $5. For me, this game just obliterated Skyrim with it's lusciously detailed world, involving quests, and fun combat. Considering the number of people who bought Skyrim for the same amount of money, you just HAVE to get Kingdoms of Amalur, it makes Skyrim look like butt.

I played Kingdoms of Amalur for 200 hours when it came out and I never stopped having fun. Only as I killed the final boss was I like "yep, that's enough".
I think I hate you for forcing me at gunpoint convincing me to buy this, but I've been playing so much Skyrim (and been so honestly bored by the actual gameplay, I mostly just like wandering around and staring at the water) you pitched it just perfectly >_x bleh I gotta stop now, I don't have time to play anything anyway. Only thing I'm holding out for is to see if Civ5 goes cheap enough.

adding to Faint's list: although implied as a Valve IP, Portal. TWDS2 was JUST on sale, but I'd hold out anyway because I can see it potentially going on sale again. Everyone swears by Bastion, but I'm a loser and still haven't played it yet. KotOR should be cheap too.

Also, anyone here like rhythm games?

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I always get so excited for these summer sales but then realize I don't ever buy anything due to my super finicky nature of buying games ;_;

What are the good FPS/actiony games out there? For somebody who's favorite/most played games are TF2, Borderlands, Payday, and like Bioshock/Far Cry/Arkham games in that order, what're some good recommendations? I already own crysis, dishonored, deus ex, and metro, so I'm wondering if there's any games similar to these I've kind of "missed".

Also, I'd like to grab some indie/short games. I've played the big three (fez, meat boy, and braid), and I loved fez, haven't really devoted myself to meat boy, and DESPISED braid. I prefer the puzzle/no action indie games to the ones like meat boy or risk of rain (ironically), so what are some good gems out there to get? I'm really eying guacamelee at some point...

What are the good FPS/actiony games out there? For somebody who's favorite/most played games are TF2, Borderlands, Payday, and like Bioshock/Far Cry/Arkham games in that order, what're some good recommendations? I already own crysis, dishonored, deus ex, and metro, so I'm wondering if there's any games similar to these I've kind of "missed".
CS:GO is both a very refreshing FPS in relation to CoD (even though 1.6 is far older than CoD) and a very easy way to get Steambux by selling gun drops you don't like on the market. Highly recommended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)