LC Voltorb (GP 2/2)

Overview
########

Voltorb is a unique Pokemon, though it is really only useful for its high Speed. It has quite a shallow movepool, but has enough moves to work well in several roles, but the only role in which it truly shines is as a Taunt user. Whenever you see Voltorb, which is not exceedingly often, it will likely run Taunt. Voltorb is quite frail. However, it shouldn't need to take many hits because it can revenge kill almost the entire metagame, thanks to its workable Special Attack which lets it run offensive sets as well as support sets, though these are less viable because Elekid outclasses Voltorb in every aspect but Speed. It can be devastating with a Life Orb (or even a Choice Specs). Voltorb's three Abilities are all very interesting and varied. All in all, Voltorb can be a potent status user or an attacker that pulls its weight, but prospective users should be wary of its flaws.

Lead
########
name: Lead
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Taunt / Thunder Wave
ability: Static / Aftermath
item: Damp Rock / Eviolite
evs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Rain Dance ensures weather due to Voltorb's extremely high Speed. It also makes Thunder, Voltorb's best attack, 100% accurate. Thunder is deadly under rain. However, it's too unreliable to be used without rain, so be sure to have Rain Dance up before you use the move. Volt Switch is an effective switching move, especially when coupled with STAB. It is useful in many situations and can to ensure Voltorb's survival in tight spots. Taunt is a good choice to counter the opponent's lead and status Pokemon, and can also stop boosting sweepers in their tracks. It is especially useful against entry hazard users such as Dwebble, as well as being Voltorb's only real niche over Elekid. However, it's next to useless against anything else and Thunder Wave can be used instead.

Set Details
========

Static is a useful ability in any situation, and offers a decent paralysis chance and that can cripple enemies. Aftermath can be equally useful by damaging defensive checks to Voltorb that manage to knock it out. Item-wise, a Damp Rock is almost mandatory for anything running Rain Dance. Eviolite should be used to bolster Voltorb's pitiful defenses in lieu of rain. The latter item prevents many OHKOs, notably from Choice Scarf users such as Pawniard and Mienfoo. The given EV spread allows Voltorb to deal significant damage, and, with a Timid nature, to outspeed almost the entire metagame.

Usage Tips
========

This set is useful as a support lead and can deal serious damage to boot. Use the Rain Dance variant on rain teams as a Rain Dance user and a rain sweeper. The Eviolite variant is an excellent status lead on any team. Voltorb's tremendous Speed allows it to revenge kill quite a few Pokemon, as well as to outspeed and KO some other common leads.

Team Options
========

This set can't run Hidden Power Ice, so an Ice- or Grass-type is welcome to deal with Ground-types. Grass also resists Electric, so a Fire- or Flying-type helps as well. Even a Bug-type might be helpful, and might also be used to counter the many Psychic-type special walls that check this set. Of course, anything with an ability boosted by rain also benefits from this set.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Static / Aftermath
item: Life Orb
evs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Taunt is one of Voltorb's niches and is always an extremely useful move in LC. It's also the only thing offensive Voltorb has on Elekid. Of course, Taunt is difficult almost pointless to use with a Choice item, so Charge Beam must be used if you use the Choice Specs to provide an attacking boosting move. However, Taunt absolutely must be used on non-Choice item sets.Thunderbolt is Voltorb's only reliable high Base Power STAB special attack, and is itsVoltorb's main means of sweeping. It will deal a sizable chunk of damage to many Pokemon with a Life Orb, and even more with Choice Specs. Hidden Power Ice is Voltorb's source of coverage on the two types that resist Electric: Ground and Grass. It's moderately powerful with the boosting items that can be used with this set.

Set Details
========

Again, Static is a powerful ability which can provide Voltorb with the capability to spread paralysis even with only offensive moves. Aftermath can be quite nice as well, making a revenge kill by a teammate much more likely.The Life Orb is a useful item which definitely increases Voltorb's damage output, yet the Choice Specs provides a much bigger boost at the cost of versatility. Generally, the Life Orb is preferable, but make the choice based on your own discretion. The same EV spread as used on the first set is advised here, and is equally useful because it allows Voltorb to outspeed and OHKO or 2HKO most of the metagame. Timid allows Voltorb to hit 20 Speed and outrun almost every other unboosted Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

Voltorb is an effective attacker and one of very few decent Electric-types in LC. It can be used as a special attacker on any team needing some Electric coverage. The Choice Specs variant of this set can be used as a powerfulpivot, and with the right switching, can be well-assisted by a different Life Orb user such as Abra. Feel free to attach a Choice Scarf to this set as well, as it allows this set to outspeed the entirety of LC, even when facing other Choice Scarf users others are Scarfed.

Team Options
========

Some defensive allies are helpful to this set, like such as Tirtouga and Koffing. Voltorb's pitiful defenses need some backup. Attackers to counter Rock- and Steel-types are also welcome, because this set can't handle those very well. For the Choice Specs set, something with U-turn to build a VoltTurn core is useful. As mentioned previously, Abra is also very useful.

Other Options
########

Voltorb could try to run Hidden Powers besides Ice to get coverage on Steel-types, but Hidden Power Ice is generally superior. Charge Beam is a nice way for Voltorb to increase its Special Attack, and can do significant damage after a few boosts. A set built around the use of the move would be interesting and unexpected, but might be difficult to pull off. Sucker Punch is an acceptable answer to Choice Scarf users that might outspeed Voltorb.

Many different items can be used effectively with Voltorb, notably the Air Balloon and Assault Vest. Voltorb can also run Thief effectively due to its high base Speed. A set featuring Substitute and the Berry Juice can be very effective. Light Screen is always a useful option for a lead that can learn it, and Voltorb needs the boost to Special Defense.

Checks & Counters
########

**Choice Scarf Users**: Voltorb generally works around outspeeding its opponent, which is a fail-safe bar a Choice Scarf on its enemy. Voltorb could carry Protect to scout for this. Voltorb must be especially wary of Ground-type Choice Scarf users.

**Special Walls**: Voltorb can't handle anything that can stomach an attack from it. This includes Chinchou and anything else that resists Ice and is neutral to Electric. Lileep is also a powerful check to Voltorb.

**Ground-types**: Voltorb's only true counters besides Chinchou are Ground-types. Voltorb has such a hard time dealing with them, especially on the lead set, that it's generally a good idea to support Voltorb with Shellder or another strong Ice-, Water-, or Grass-type to assist it. Once those are eliminated, Voltorb has almost no hope against Ground-types. Its Hidden Power Ice can provide only fleeting coverage.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Choice Specs Substitute?

You might want to put a slash in there somewhere.

I'd personally put rain dance in other options and slap a scarf or eviolite on that first set. Voltorb has poor bulk so he'd rather have an eviolite and pivot straight away than take a big hit and set up rain dance first turn.

I'm also not entirely sure you need another set apart from the pivot one, as voltorbs speed means that pivoting with volt switch isn't something that should be set dependant imo.

Sub + Berry Juice + Thief seems somewhat viable due to its Speed. I mean, Voltorb is nothing more than a fast Thunderbolt/VoltSwitch/Taunt but it can at least be useful by removing items.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
not entirely sure about the viability of light screen tbh...Rain Dance should almost always be used, as that is what Voltorb is best at. Only having one screen is kind of awkward, as I have found when running one screen as a filler move for Pokemon such as Abra. Also it may not be worthy of a set but Heysup's sub/thief combo could at least be mentioned in OO.

not entirely sure about the viability of light screen tbh...Rain Dance should almost always be used, as that is what Voltorb is best at. Only having one screen is kind of awkward, as I have found when running one screen as a filler move for Pokemon such as Abra. Also it may not be worthy of a set but Heysup's sub/thief combo could at least be mentioned in OO.
I can add to Other Options.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Other Options - Access to Magic Coat and super fastness would be super useful as an anti-lead thing. I don't know.

Team Options - For the first set, since you've got a Rain setter. Yet nowhere in Team Options do you have any Swift Swim or Hyrdation users.

Moves - For the second set, I don't know how viable Charge Beam is. It really just isn't that good.

Checks and Counters - I think that this section is supposed to be written from the perspective of someone trying to counter Voltorb. Its supposed to more of a threat list-y thing.

Other Options - Access to Magic Coat and super fastness would be super useful as an anti-lead thing. I don't know.

Team Options - For the first set, since you've got a Rain setter. Yet nowhere in Team Options do you have any Swift Swim or Hyrdation users.

Moves - For the second set, I don't know how viable Charge Beam is. It really just isn't that good.

Checks and Counters - I think that this section is supposed to be written from the perspective of someone trying to counter Voltorb. Its supposed to more of a threat list-y thing.
I will get on it.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
okay I'm qc now n_n

anyway

Overview
########
- Mention how it is outclassed by Elekid if you aren't using it for its niches (mainly Taunt + Rain Dance)

Lead set
#######
- In Set Details, mention some of the KOes Voltorb escapes some OHKOes by using eviolite (For example scarf pawniard knock off / Scarfoo and ScarfScrags HJK)
- Remove mentions of Light Screen as it's not on the set and unslash Thunderbolt as Thunder is better as a lead move
- Talk about how Taunt can shut down SR/Spikes leads like Dwebble / Trubbish / Etc and can prevent walls like Porygon some time in the game to recover on you
- Remove mention of using it as a general lead in usage tips as it's just not good enough to fill that role without hazards, it's similar to using Aipom as a "lead"

Offensive set
##########
- Replace Substitute with Taunt
- Unslash Volt switch and replace Charge Beam with it
- Mention how the only thing Voltorb has over Elekid is Taunt, since Elekid is stronger and has more coverage moves, and that taunt allows it to surprise walls
- Remove the mention of specs, as switching moves and Taunt is too good to pass on.
- Mention in teammates that fighting types like voltorb, as it beats flying types that puts pressure on them

I dunno about an offensive set, especially when it does 62% with a Life Orb-boosted 90BP STAB attack to 0HP/36SDef evio foo, but I guess it could stay

QC 1/3

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In the usage tips of the second section, you mention a Sub + LO variant that isn't anywhere else in the analysis. Abra does this better 99% of the time, so I'd say remove this mention. The recoil from the Subs and the Life Orb seem like they'd be too much to handle, especially since Voltorb isn't able to 2HKO everything that switches into it to make it worthwhile.

In Other Options, you mention a possible Charge Beam set twice. Consolidate those two into one statement please.

In Checks and Counters, under special walls, add in Lileep as a special exception. It's weak to HP Ice, but the fact that LO Voltorb can't even 2HKO it after Stealth Rock means it can come in, Giga Drain or Recover in your face, and let Voltorb kill itself.

QC 2/3

In the usage tips of the second section, you mention a Sub + LO variant that isn't anywhere else in the analysis. Abra does this better 99% of the time, so I'd say remove this mention. The recoil from the Subs and the Life Orb seem like they'd be too much to handle, especially since Voltorb isn't able to 2HKO everything that switches into it to make it worthwhile.

In Other Options, you mention a possible Charge Beam set twice. Consolidate those two into one statement please.

In Checks and Counters, under special walls, add in Lileep as a special exception. It's weak to HP Ice, but the fact that LO Voltorb can't even 2HKO it after Stealth Rock means it can come in, Giga Drain or Recover in your face, and let Voltorb kill itself.

QC 2/3
k

get rid of specs / charge beam, just nah. this thing sucks penis compared to other electrics anyways so don't make it shitty by making it 100% outclassed. i think apt told you to get rid of specs too. just taunt / bolt / volt / hp grass. taunt is the only niche offensive voltorb has over magnemite / chinchou / elekid. only one.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fix the title and make sure to post this in the GP queue. Otherwise, this will sit and collect dust for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)