Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Whelp, another randoms blown well under 100, this time on battle #68, versus Beauty Claire. I don't have much to say about the defeat itself other than I would have lost much, much sooner were it not for Triples mechanics and the resilience of a particular poke, whom I'll mention in a second. My setter was fully paralyzed on turn one and things just went steadily downhill.

Assault Vest Magnezone. I am officially a believer. A veteran battle went to hell on a handcart, and somehow Magnezone killed a Regice 1, Raikou 1 and Latios 2 by itself as the only target to eat their attacks, winning the battle. Regice did whiff a Focus Blast, and it confused Raikou with Signal Beam and got just one free turn off that (ultimately a crucial free turn, as an early Shadow Ball got an SDef drop) but otherwise it and Latios did such pathetic, awfully low damage that it just toughed it out. I was really pleasantly surprised, and was playing during downtime at work, so I had no comp for damage calcs (RNG site is not blocked by workplace internet; showdown calc is.)

AV Maggy is also the reason Beauty Claire had to work for her win after kicking me in the balls a few times during the first three turns, but it helped that after her brutal front line was slain, she had only Bronzong 1 and Dewgong 4 as backup.

Bronzong 1 facing Trick Room-oriented Metagross and Magnezone… yeah. It never once even bothered using Gyro Ball, even against my paralyzed, Power Anklet Metagross, and just repeatedly turned Trick Room on and off or wasted Rain Dance PP while I beat it up. Dewgong finally took out Maggy, and then several turns of paralysis and failing to flinch or crit +3 Def Dewgong allowed it to take Metagross down as well.

Anyone that bothered to read my posts knows I actually bothered to train and present the opportunity to be stuck with a Dragalge, so it should come as little surprise that I could bring myself to do the same for… wait for it… Vespiquen.

And I have to admit, it was kinda fun to use as backup. It would come in after a fallen comrade when there was at least one target in critical condition, use Fell Stinger, then Attack Order/Acrobatics from there. I sampled a few different berries I thought might be activated quickly in order to power up Acrobatics, including Lansat to directly enhance AO. It was about as useful as you'd expect Vespiquen to be with a speed advantage, but I liked it. Having teammates that abuse the shit out of TR and murder anything they touch does greatly prolong Queenie's lifespan in the face of its common weaknesses to high BP attacks.

Last edited:
I just got 88 win streak in Super Multi Battles with an AI partner. Here's my team:

My lead:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse

My Backup:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest nature
- Discharge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

AI Partner:

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: ?
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave
- Extrasensory

Cobalion @ Lax Incense
Ability: Justified
EVs: ?
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Psych Up
- Iron Head

Lost because I made some dumb decisions and I was very tired. Here's the last match. MK4G-WWWW-WWW8-49NP.

Last edited:
I got a 262 winning streak in Maison Super Doubles using the following team:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Technician -> Technician
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break
- Protect

Pretty standard Mega Scizor. Bug Bite is so good in the Maison since there are so many berries to steal. Brick Break > Superpower because I didn't want the Atk/Def drops, and breaking screens is nifty.

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Sharpedo is one of my favorite Pokemon. I was super excited when it got Speed Boost in generation 5 and I tried out a mixed set in the Subway. I found its tendency to be quickly KO'ed without a Focus Sash and its lackluster damage output without a boosting item to really hold it back though. I even used it on a rain team and quickly scrapped it.

So when I saw both Benefactor and atsync discuss Destiny Bond Sharpedo, I knew I had to try it out. I was not disappointed. This set is amazing when paired when M-Scizor. With the exception of Fire-type attacks, the AI pretty much always targets Sharpedo due to its paper-thin defenses. This makes prediction incredibly easy, generating so many free turns with a well timed Protect and allowing M-Scizor to tear through the opposition. Sharpedo handles the Fire-types that threaten M-Scizor and can pick off weakened opponents. Once at 1 HP Sharpedo can simply Destiny Bond and take down an enemy with it. M-Scizor and Sharpedo together demolished the opponent in the majority of my matches.

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
Flash Fire
Modest Nature
92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Chandelure is the main switch in for M-Scizor if faced with an opponent that threatens it with a Fire-type attack and Sharpedo cannot KO it. Flash Fire boosted Flamethrowers hit very hard. Also incredibly useful for switching it against Fighting-, Bug-, and Grass-type attacks for Sharpedo. Nice mix of power, bulk, and speed that really glues the team together with its great type synergy. I chose Energy Ball as the coverage move to give it a chance against Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
Modest Nature
116 HP / 92 Def / 228 SpA / 60 SpD / 12 Spe
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Gastrodon saw the least amount of play time, typically coming out only if I was down to my last two Pokemon. Gastrodon is a second switch in to Fire-type attacks if I'm fearing an Earthquake/Rock Slide in the same turn. If M-Scizor and Sharpedo went down early, Chandelure and Gastrodon worked well together - Gastrodon protects Chandelure from Water-type attacks with Storm Drain, and Chandelure roasts the Grass-types that threaten Gastrodon. Ground- and Ice-type coverage was a nice asset. Functioned well under Trick Room as well. I was originally going to run Rindo Berry but then realized I didn't have one in my game - Leftovers was a fine alternative.

---

Not only is this team super fun to play with, but I really enjoy getting to use some of my favorite Pokemon that haven't appeared on many Maison teams. It's so satisfying to watch the AI waste turns attacking Sharpedo as I abuse Protect and then, when they finally manage to KO it, having their own Pokemon go down too with Destiny Bond. This team is actually very reliable as well, having only a few nailbitters in over 250 matches. I think this team could easily get over 300 wins, probably much higher, so I may pick it up again.

I wouldn't say that this team has a particular weakness to any broad group of Pokemon (i.e. Fighting-types, Trick Room teams, etc), but rather to a few specific Pokemon. Eelektross 4 is probably the most troublesome, toting Flamethrower to roast M-Scizor, Grass Knot for Gastrodon, and Charge Beam for Sharpedo. It's also bulky, carries Leftovers, and sporadically uses Protect. This kind of unpredictability was dangerous - a Protect with the wrong Pokemon could cost me the other. Manectric and Magmortar are in a similar boat, threatening either M-Scizor with a Fire-type move or Sharpedo with an Electric-/Fighting-type move. Chandelure and Gastrodon could handle them well, however, so they were usually not a huge issue unless paired with another dangerous teammate. Destiny Bond was also really handy for these situations - I could sacrifice Sharpedo early to take out something that I anticipated being an issue for the whole match.

I lost to the hax monster that is Tauros 4. Three of my attacks missed when it was only at +1 Evasion, and then another three missed at +2 Evasion. My playing wasn't perfect (I got anxious with all these misses so I kept targeting Tauros even when I should have known it was going to use Protect), but if one of those six attacks had connected I would have easily won. It was bound to happen eventually I suppose.

Overall, incredibly fun team - I encourage everyone to try out Speed Boost + Destiny Bond Sharpedo!

Video of my loss: S5MG-WWWW-WWW8-4ATS

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Cool to see Sharpedo get on a list. Destiny Bond is so great on it. I didn't have the patience to beat my Rotations record with Sharpedo over Gengar but it's nice to see someone else succeed with it!

I imagine that it could work in singles too, similarly to Destiny Bond Gengar. Sharpedo has worse coverage and bulk than Gengar but Speed Boost lets it do things it shouldn't be able to, especially if it gets some flinch hax from Waterfall.

Cool to see Sharpedo get on a list. Destiny Bond is so great on it. I didn't have the patience to beat my Rotations record with Sharpedo over Gengar but it's nice to see someone else succeed with it!

I imagine that it could work in singles too, similarly to Destiny Bond Gengar. Sharpedo has worse coverage and bulk than Gengar but Speed Boost lets it do things it shouldn't be able to, especially if it gets some flinch hax from Waterfall.
It's likely worse than Gengar in Singles due to the sheer number of things like Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, and Flame Body that screw with Focus Sash, not to mention Intimidate. I'm curious to try a Doubles team where it's partnered with a Choice Specs Entei spamming Eruption.

Last edited:

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Well I probably WOULD use Gengar over Sharpedo most of the time for some of those reasons and more (I only used it in the first place because Fire-types were wrecking my team). Speed Boost + Protect does give it a niche over Gengar in certain situations though (e.g. Sharpedo will always beat Aerodactyl and Archeops without taking damage, while Gengar can't guarantee the same for itself).

It's likely worse than Gengar in Singles due to the sheer number of things like Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, and Flame Body that screw with Focus Sash, not to mention Intimidate. I'm curious to try a Doubles team where it's partnered with a Choice Specs Entei spamming Eruption.
This is why I think Sharpedo is most successful in Doubles (and also Triples I would imagine). Even if its Focus Sash is broken by things like weather, Rough Skin, burn, Toxic, weak spread attacks, etc, Sharpedo is still great at generating free turns and taking down an opponent with Speed Boosted Destiny Bond. Heck, barring parahax, a paralyzed Sharpedo can still do these things, still out-speeding all but the fastest of opponents after just a couple speed boosts.

Intimidate was annoying for my team since I lead with two physical attacks, but switching or just muscling through was enough to get past it.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I've updated up to here. Note that I'm making a few minor changes.

First, since I believe it's better to err on the side of too much information over too little, I'm going to allow the leaderboards to grow beyond a cap of 15 players per category. To keep things reasonable, I'm going with 200 wins as a rule of thumb minimum for including a streak that's outside of the top 15, but could certainly be convinced to go lower still, particularly for innovative teams and/or well-detailed and useful team write-ups.

Second, in that same spirit of more information being better than less, where a user has multiple leaderboard-worthy streaks in a category, I'm happy to include them all under the entry for that player's longest streak in the category, as was done in the Battle Subway record thread. For streaks after Eppie's final update, I've already done this myself, but for earlier streaks, if you are on the leaderboard and have a second leaderboard worthy streak that got bumped, just message me with a link to that streak and I'll add it in.

Third, I ask that when your team write-up was posted previously to your "how I lost" proof post, please include a link back to your team write-up along with the proof. This makes the leaderboard a much better reference for players looking for detailed information about successful teams, as the leaderboard link to the proof will also lead them to the detailed team info.

As always, good luck with the streaks, and if you have any questions, comments, or errors/omissions you would like me to change, just message me!

Hello guys, I've been battling in the Maison for around two weeks and I currently have three trophies(Singles, Doubles, and Triples, the easiest ones, lol).
Here are the teams I used for these trophies(Don't mind the French names for some of them in the videos, I'm playing in French, because why the hell not):

Singles:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze -> Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature(Most Mega Charizard X are Adamant, but mine has a Jolly nature that lets it outspeed all Haxorus and Hydreigon)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Charizard aims to kill as many things as it can before fainting, or it sets up with Dragon Dance and kills everything. Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw are the obvious STAB moves, and Roost lets it recover lost HP from opposing pokemon's attacks or Flare Blitz's recoil. Whenever the opposing lead is something that it can't kill and threatens to kill back(say, a Rock-type or a bulky Ground-type), I usually switch to Suicune, as it can tank most hits and I want to save Aegislash's Balloon for a possible back-up Garchomp4 or Terrakion3(I really hate them). As said above, the Jolly nature and the EV spread let it outspeed all Haxorus and Hydreigon and KO them before they can move.

Suicune @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Substitute
- Rest

Suicune usually switches in on pokemon that threaten Charizard. Its set is very standard for the Maison: Calm Mind raises its Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, Scald is the STAB attacking move that can burn, Substitute is there to avoid critical hits, Leech Seed, and status, and Rest is Rest. Its EV spread maximizes its physcial defense, and the last 4 EVs go to Speed, go avoid a speed tie with uninvested base 85 pokemon. It's probably the pokemon that swept most teams here, it's very, very reliable, and there were many times when I made stupid misplays and Suicune let me turn a 1-3 or a 2-3 to a win.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Aegislash is mostly a filler, but it was very useful in many battles. King's Shield is King's Shield and lets me beat many physical attackers, Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are the STAB moves(notably, Flash Cannon kills many Rock-types that Sacred Sword couldn't), and Substitute, while somewhat strange, gives me a "second life" against many pokemon because of Aegislash's bulk and resistances, and it also lets Aegislash not depend so much on King's Shield. Air Balloon lets it counter many dangerous foes, since most pokemon use Ground-type moves to hits Aegislash. I'm thinking about using Shadow Sneak over Substitute(like in my Triples Aegislash), but I'm not sure.

Battle #50: 62UG-WWWW-WWW8-8XK2

Doubles:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Everyone should know what this thing does, but I'll explain it anyway. It(she) flinches and destroys things, sashes, and substitutes. Kangaskhan always starts using Fake Out, so Aegislash can usually get a Substitute, and then she begins setting up with Power-Up Punch, and then everything dies. Return is the STAB move, and Sucker Punch is for faster foes and Ghost-types(although Aegslash handles them well). I wish she had five moveslots, so she could use Protect too, but whatever. Most people prefer an Adamant nature with max Attack and HP, but I go with a speedy and bulky Kangaskhan, because I think 4 Attack EVs are usually enough to kill most foes, and Power-Up Punch is always there.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

It's the same Aegislash from my Singles team, so I won't explain the moveset. It kills Rock- and Ghost-types that Kangaskhan has trouble with(for the latter, I don't mega evolve Kangaskhan and it Fakes Out the Ghost-type, and Aegislash finishes it off with Shadow Ball), and attracts Fire- and Ground-type moves for Rotom-W or Garchomp to switch in on. Air Balloon once again lets it avoid Ground-type moves, and it's very important as my back-up Garchomp will be using it, and I don't like using King's Shield only to avoid its Earthquakes.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Garchomp is probably the pokemon that is used the least, but it's still very important, because it's my back-up physical attacker, and it usually cleans up after Kangaskhan faints. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are the STAB moves here, Rock Slide hits Flying-types and some others that don't take much damage from the other moves(in particular Volcarona4), and Protect is Protect, the most useful move in Doubles/Triples ever. Lum Berry is its item, because sometimes it gets burned by random Will-O-Wisps or Fire-type moves(and it got burned by Tri Attack once, lol).

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 92 SpD / 4 Spe(These EVs let Rotom survive a Latios3's Draco Meteor and a +2 Sacred Sword from Terrakion3. Situational, I know, but why not?)
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom-W was chosen because it resists two of Aegislash's biggest weaknesses, has great bulk, and has Levitate, that allows Garchomp to spam Earthquake freely. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are the STAB moves(I wish it had Scald), Will-O-Wisp burns physical attackers and prevents set-up from them(not really, but you get what I mean), and Protect is Protect. The EVs let it take anything weaker than a specs Draco Meteor from Latios or a +2 Sacred Sword from Terrakion, 60 EVs go to its Sp. Attack, and the last 4 Evs go to speed, as they wouldn't be useful anywhere else. It holds a Sitrus Berry, as it gives Rotom 25% more health.

tl;dr: Aegislash, Garchomp, and Rotom-W have great synergy and M-Kangaskhan is OP.

Battle #50: FKZW-WWWW-WWW8-8XJY

Triples:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Again, kill everything as fast as possible. But now Charizard has Protect over Roost, and it lures Rock-type moves, so it uses Protect if there's something that can use a Rock-type move against it and then Gyarados or Aegislash kill the opponent(s). It kills bulky Grass-types that can the a problem for the team, too. It's my most offensive Dragon Dancer and lead.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Protect

My second Dragon Dancer, and usually the only one that actually uses the move, as Charizard mostly kills everything right off the bat. It also provides Intimidate support, and kills stuff, obviously. Waterfall and Return has almost unresisted coverage(thanks to ~Mercury~ for the choice of attacking moves and Intimidate + Assault Vest pokemon), and Protect is, as always, Protect. Since Gyarados lures many Electric-type moves, it uses Protect on them, and Charizard and Aegislash kill the opponents. Lum Berry is used because apparently, Gyarados is usually the target for the opponent's status moves(of course, it cures burns, paralysis, freeze, poison and sleep, which is very useful).

Aegislash(I apparently can't make a team without this) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak

Since, I have two leads that are weak to Rock, I needed something that resisted it and could kill Tock-type pokemon, so I chose Aegislash(one more time). This time, it has Shadow Sneak over Substitute, as it's difficult to use the latter in Triples, and priority moves are always awesome. King's Shield is Aegislash's Protect, and Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are the STAB moves. Air Balloon again lets it avoid Ground-type moves, and this time I have an Excadrill with Earthquake, so the Balloon is very useful.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

My first switch-in to most Rock-type moves, Conkeldurr is another Rock resist in this team. He has great bulk, because of Assault Vest, Gyarados' Intimidate, and its base 105 HP. The moves should be obvious: Drain Punch is the main STAB move, and it also provides recovery, Mach Punch is priority(that pairs very well with Aegislash's Shadow Sneak), and Ice Punch and Knock Off are the coverage moves for Flying-, Ground-, Ghost-, and Psychic-types. The EV spread maximizes his special bulk and power. Guts is the chosen ability because it allows Conkeldurr to absorb status and hit with even more power. A nice combo I've been using is using Rotom's Will-O-wisp on Conkeldurr.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

It's exactly the same Rotom from my Doubles team, so there's not much to say. It has great bulk, and switches in on Fire-, Ground-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves. Since Excadrill doesn't have Mold Breaker, Rotom is usually in the middle, so Excadrill can be on either side and freely use Earthquake.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

The last member of my team, and another Rock resist, Excadrill switches in on Electric- and Rock-type moves. Since the team has three Ground immunities(two if Aegislash's Balloon is popped), it is usually safe to use Earthquake. Iron Head is another STAB move, and is actually stronger and a Earthquake because the latter's power is reduced in Triple Battles. It's also stronger than a 2x super-effective Rock Slide for the same reason. Protect is always Protect. Sand Rush is used because I didn't have a Mold Breaker Drilbur/Excadrill in my Black cartridge, but that doesn't matter, because using the latter would nullify Rotom's Levitate(I assume), which would be very bad.

Also, I have an ongoing streak of 153 wins in Triples with the team above.
Battle #153: DM4W-WWWW-WWW8-8XYF
I'll post something about the strategies of the teams laterAnd Done!:D

Last edited:

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I've recently been playing around with various mons in battle maison, and I stumbled across Assault Vest Conkeldurr -- Turns out the first team I used it on now has a 116 Streak on Maison Super Singles, and I can still continue it :3

Here's a battle vid of #116 for those who are interested: P7WW-WWWW-WWW8-86XJ

Now onto the team I'm using:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Adamant ~ Iron Fist
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sdf
~ Mach Punch
~ Drain Punch
~ Ice Punch
~ Knock Off

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Adamant ~ Scrappy [Parental Bond]
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sdf
~ Return
~ Fake Out
~ Sucker Punch
~ Drain Punch

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant ~ Gale Wings
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Brave Bird
~ Flare Blitz
~ U-turn
~ Roost

My general strategy:

I lead with AVConk. Always. It just KOs too many pokemon for me not to; The first 40 or so battles I managed to basically ONLY use it to KO the opponent's team. Perhaps that was just me getting favorable matchups, but I still manage to do that occasionally; Iron Fist is used over guts because of the initial power being higher -- I find guts to be too situational for maison play, whereas iron fist's power output is more reliable. Sure, burn becomes a problem, but that's what Talonflame is for; absorbing will-o-wisps, etc that would otherwise mostly neuter my other two mons.

Also, here is an example calcs that IF Conk seperates itself from guts Conk:

252+ Atk Iron Fist Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 92-110 (49.1 - 58.8%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
vs.
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 78-92 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I've run into that 252/252+ 5 seperate times in battles 41-52, and Iron Fist was what saved my Conk's ass; without iron fist, ice punch does LESS on average than that latias can recover with recover, so in the long run you would most likely lose. With IF, however, you can basically PP stall recover (because it will keep using it) then KO it once it uses mist ball (because AVConk survives +1 latias mist ball with ~90/212 hp left). There are other examples, but that is one I consider the most notable.

Here's to everyone on the leaderboard so far! (and hopefully I can get on it eventually, lol...)

Hello all! I am going to just post this now on my mobile and will write more when I can reach a computer. I have just acquired my fifth and final trophy in super triples. Since this is the first Pokemon game I have really gotten into I had no clue what worked well together etc. ect. In the battle maison so for the most part I just used teams that were posted in these forums that have records to try and get a feel for the Maison. The only team I didn't rip off was my super multi team because of the randomness of the ai. Now that I have all 5 trophies I plan on having some fun and creating my own teams.

P.S sorry for the poor photo. The pictures I was taking with the lights on/closer on my phone the file size was too large so this will have to do for now. I'll put a better picture on imgur later if needed.

Attachments

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
P.S sorry for the poor photo. The pictures I was taking with the lights on/closer on my phone the file size was too large so this will have to do for now. I'll put a better picture on imgur later if needed.
No worries, that pic is fine. I've updated the five trophies list to include you!

Well, now that I've hit my first goal with a new, different team, I think I've satisfied my superstition enough to report on how my attempts with Sableye/Durant/Smeargle went (original team concept described here here)

I used the same sets as GG Unit for Sableye and Durant (see here; we talked over PM a bit to figure out how to optimize the sets. Flash on Sableye is awesome, drastically improving the team's reliability against a number of threats and increasing the odds of Durant coming out healthy. It can also cause problems (e.g. the opponent misses and then KOs Sableye right as Taunt runs out), but if that's a real risk, just don't use Flash. The EV spread maximizes Durant's physical bulk, but since it's mostly HP investment, it gives a nice boost to its special bulk as well. The Attack EVs weren't needed; Durant OHKOs Espeon (except Espeon 2, who does very little damage to Durant) and Exeggutor even without Attack EVs, and those are the only two targets I choose to attack. I attack Exeggutor to avoid Explosion/Trick Room shenanigans.

Smeargle is hilariously awesome. Moody is risky, for sure, but I generally found that I could remain pretty safe against Taunt users. The majority of them have a hard time hurting Durant, allowing me to bring in Smeargle, use half of my Protect PP to set up, KO the Taunt user, then switch to 1 HP Sableye against the next opponent if I don't have the right boosts to keep setting up.

The real problem this team had was Explosion. The AI would never use Explosion against Sableye or Durant (well, maybe they would with Muk, but I never saw it), but they have a tendency to use it at random times against Smeargle. They usually use it pretty early, allowing me to switch back out to Sableye (who stays alive against most Explosion leads) or Durant (if Sableye fainted, which it will against Golem and Skuntank).

Moody is incredibly unreliable, but against a huge majority of opponents, it just didn't matter. I had one battle where Smeargle had to set up for 57 turns just to get above +0 Speed (it was down at -6 for a while), but the opponent couldn't do anything against me (I was just spamming Miracle Eye). Even if one stat is bad, the rest are typically good enough that you don't need to waste Sub/Protect PP, especially as the opponent runs out of PP for their strongest moves against Smeargle. I developed a mechanism for mentally tracking the SpAtk, Speed, Accuracy, and Evasion boosts, since those were the only ones that really mattered in most cases.

When fully set up (or close enough) Smeargle is a nuclear bomb. Stored Power can OHKO almost anything without Focus Sash or Sturdy, and all the things it CAN'T OHKO suck (Bronzong, Cresselia, Metagross...though IIRC, I've seen it OHKO Metagross, and it can definitely OHKO Cresselia sometimes).

If Smeargle sets up, it is basically impossibly to lose. Sturdy Skarmory can phaze it out, but Skarmory will only come in as the third Pokemon (because it has no way of inflicting direct damage, and the AI wants to switch to Pokemon that can do damage). The problem is that a number of things interfere with full set-up. I lost three times with this team (in addition to the one I posted in the first link against Aggron). In the first, I lost because I didn't have a good strategy for Skuntank 4 and it Exploded on me. I did mock battles against it and developed a good strategy (basically sacrifice Sableye while spamming Flash, then going directly to Smeargle and bypassing Durant, since Skuntank almost always Explodes in the first two turns). That worked in subsequently battles against it, but it would have failed miserably against a 2nd Pokemon Fire-type, since I would have been unable to bring Durant back in. The second time, I lost against Aurorus 4; I used Truant on it on the "recharge" turn of Hyper Beam, not knowing that doing so would allow it to attack next turn. Iswitched to Smeargle and it died to Thunder immediately. Well, live and learn; armed with that new knowledge, I was ready to take on the world.

The third battle I lost had a lead Exeggutor. I switched to Durant and used X-Scissor to instantly kill it, as I always do; I figure that having a full-health Sableye and an almost full-health Durant (who I can just switch out) is an incredibly good match-up. And it is, against most opponents. The AI brought in Golem 4, which is really bad; without Sableye in immediately, I wouldn't get to hit it with Flash as many times, increasing the risk of Durant taking a lot of damage, reducing my odds of switching back to Durant against the third Pokemon. I switched out, sacked Sableye, brought in Durant, took some damage (But didn't faint) while using Entrainment, then set up Smeargle for about five turns before Golem Exploded. My boosts weren't all that good, and the next Pokemon was Marowak. I set up for as long as I could, but eventually got a Speed drop, which left me with no Sub and suddenly slower than Marowak. I switched out to Durant, who fainted to EQ, then brought Smeargle in again and tried setting up. No such luck; I got another Speed drop and Smeargle was KO'd.

Even though this team is impossibly slow and highly breakable, I love it. I just think it has so much character. But I never got a string of more than about 175 consecutive wins with them (that one was broken by Aurorus; the next one, which was broken by Exeggutor+Golem, was only about 90 wins). It seems like the match-ups that can reliably beat this team are insanely rare, but in reality, they're not. With Punk Guys/Girls (except for Puck) running Poison/Dark/Fire teams, the odds of an opponent with a Skuntank 4 lead and a Fire-type back-up are higher than they seem. Exeggutor or Espeon leads also leave me vulnerable to back-up Explosion users, as my final loss demonstrates. Yanmega is also a pain if it comes in after Durant has KO'd Exeggutor/Espeon, since Speed Boost makes it able to get faster than Durant on the turns that you switch out to reset its attacks (though maybe no trainer can actually run Exeggutor/Espeon with Yanmega; I can't be bothered to look).

Whimsicott is super good with Durant, but I don't think it's as good for this particular team. It doesn't help as much against Skuntank; Sableye's ability to use Flash can at least improve your odds of coming out with an intact Substitute on Smeargle (though obviously, Flash doesn't work against Keen Eye Skuntank). The vulnerability to lead Mienshao/Lapras is much harder to tolerate when using a back-up as frail as Smeargle; Mienshao will sometimes use HJK against Whimsicott (because it's dumb), which forces you to sacrifice Whimsicott and let Durant take damage just to get Smeargle in to watch it kill itself. That said, I don't know exactly how often Mienshao will use HJK against Whimsicott, so it may be rare enough that Whimsicott's advantages (which are mainly Encore for Flame Orb Machamp/Throh and the ability to use Memento to reduce the damage Durant takes) may be worth it. The thing about Whimsicott is that it often plays best when you sacrifice it for Memento, but against opponents Smeargle can only partially set-up on, you really want your lead to stay alive so you can bring it back in and sacrifice it so that Durant can come in for free.

I do think that I ran into bad match-ups with this team a bit more often than you would expect, but I think that, at its best, it's a team that can get 200-300 straight wins (for a total streak of 250-350 if you use a different team for the first 40 or 50 battles), not 500+. Others are welcome to try it, but I wouldn't recommend it; the battles take so long that losses are incredibly frustrating, and I doubt the potential payoff is worth it.

I have another Super Singles team that's coming along very nicely, so I'll post about that sometime soon. I just wanted to provide some data for people on the Moody Smeargle team (which plays very similarly to GG Unit's Moody Glalie team, with only minor differences), even if it didn't achieve a record that has any place on the leaderboard.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looking forward to the new team, VaporeonIce. I've been theorizing another Durant team, this time with Durant and two sweepers which seems to be the way to go for Durant in XY. It is Durant/Mega Gyarados/Drapion, with Gyarados as the primary sweeper with Protect, and Drapula with Rest instead of Protect in the Garchomp slot. The things Drapion can do in that position with Rest is wall Espeon, handle Gyarados's most feared threats, 2HKO Perish Song Mismagius, shrug off status with Rest, and synergize decently with Gyarados in a pinch with the ability to do repeated Intimidate switching to allow Drapion to tank EQ, and still set up with Entrainment if Protect isn't needed to block an SE attack or Confuse Ray, Taunt and other things. The roles could be switched with Drapion being the main Protect sweeper, but Gyarados seems like it'd be worse in the Garchomp position than Drapion - and without Rest, Drapion can't wall Espeon, which is a big draw for it in a dual sweeper Durant set-up. I did the first 30 battles with it tonight, but I'll be going slowly since I've met my Maison goals already and the raw excitement of Durant in contrast to the highly variable Doubles action I've been liking a lot is really something.

Theorymon-wise, what it has over Durant/Cloyster/Garchomp is that Gyarados is much more of an universal Enrainment sweeper than Cloyster. On the flip side, it also needs more time to set up - this is where having Rest Drapion in the back could be a life-saver, as nearly any physical Pokémon as a second Pokémon after an Explosion can be neutralized with Intimidate switching, and it can wall many special Pokémon outright as well - it's no Suicune, but it's something. Drapion certainly loses to Garchomp in a lot of ways, but with Gyarados being a stronger sweeper once set up behind Substitute, its role should be more limited compared to that of Garchomp.

Looking forward to the new team, VaporeonIce. I've been theorizing another Durant team, this time with Durant and two sweepers which seems to be the way to go for Durant in XY. It is Durant/Mega Gyarados/Drapion, with Gyarados as the primary sweeper with Protect, and Drapula with Rest instead of Protect in the Garchomp slot. The things Drapion can do in that position with Rest is wall Espeon, handle Gyarados's most feared threats, 2HKO Perish Song Mismagius, shrug off status with Rest, and synergize decently with Gyarados in a pinch with the ability to do repeated Intimidate switching to allow Drapion to tank EQ, and still set up with Entrainment if Protect isn't needed to block an SE attack or Confuse Ray, Taunt and other things. The roles could be switched with Drapion being the main Protect sweeper, but Gyarados seems like it'd be worse in the Garchomp position than Drapion - and without Rest, Drapion can't wall Espeon, which is a big draw for it in a dual sweeper Durant set-up. I did the first 30 battles with it tonight, but I'll be going slowly since I've met my Maison goals already and the raw excitement of Durant in contrast to the highly variable Doubles action I've been liking a lot is really something.

Theorymon-wise, what it has over Durant/Cloyster/Garchomp is that Gyarados is much more of an universal Enrainment sweeper than Cloyster. On the flip side, it also needs more time to set up - this is where having Rest Drapion in the back could be a life-saver, as nearly any physical Pokémon as a second Pokémon after an Explosion can be neutralized with Intimidate switching, and it can wall many special Pokémon outright as well - it's no Suicune, but it's something. Drapion certainly loses to Garchomp in a lot of ways, but with Gyarados being a stronger sweeper once set up behind Substitute, its role should be more limited compared to that of Garchomp.
Nice, I like it. Good luck! Watch out for turn 1 Perish Song from Mismagius; if it uses it as you switch to Drapion, you won't be able to get the 2HKO; it should Protect the next turn (Perish Song counter down to 2), meaning you only have one chance to hit it. And if it uses Mean Look on that turn, Drapion is gone. I also have some concerns about Zapdos 2; a Bright Powder miss on Entrainment can leave you in a bad spot, since it can OHKO Durant with Heat Wave. Drapion matches up against it pretty well; the main risk is that it attacks with Heat Wave and gets a burn. You may want to consider some minimal Speed investment on Drapion to outspeed Zapdos 2 (which shouldn't be hard; Drapion is base 95 speed and Zapdos is base 100, and Zapdos 2 has no Speed investment). Medicham 4 can be a bit awkward, as it blocks Entrainment with Fake Out/Detect and is kind of unpredictable with Detect. Gyara can Mega-evolve to block Psycho Cut and Dragon Dance on that turn, which KOs Medicham just fine, but can leave you in a little bit of a weird spot against certain Fighting-type switch-ins (such as Sawk and Infernape). I think all of these issues can be handled fine with this team, you just want to be ready for them.

NoCheese

The biggest weakness of the Durant - Gyarados combination, in my mind, is the weakness to Volt Switch. Durant - Cloyster has the same issue, of course, which is why I loved Garchomp as backup, since it can safely switch in on a predicted Volt Switch and dominate the offending Electric-type attacker. Drapion, though bulky, lacks that Electric immunity, so Volt Switch will still go through if you bring it in, forcing you to deal with the Volt Switcher later. Depending on what the opponent brings in off Volt Switch, you can often just bring Durant back in, eat an attack on the switch, and Entrain the new poke, but the lack of an Electric immunity does complicate things a bit. I don't think this is fatal to Durant - Gyarados - Drapion, and certainly, when you can fully set it up, Drapion trumps Garchomp (that inability to boost Speed means Garchomp fears a number of things even at +6), but Garchomp's Electric-type immunity is a huge draw for this type of team.

4th trophy wooo, I finished 50th battle with an AI partner in Multis yesterday, here's the deets:

My Pokes:

Landorus-Therian
Assault Vest Intimidate
Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 SpD
-Giga Impact
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Charizard (Ol' Blazey)
Charizardite Solar Power>Drought
Modest
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
-Solar Beam
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse
-Air Slash

AI Pokes, I apologise for the lack of detail I don't know which sets they are, this I all I saw them do before they died or suicided or something stupid, if any one really want to know I'll do another battle with them on request but Multi with the AI is annoying:

Salamence
Intimidate
-Earthquake
-Dragon Rush
-?
-?

Meganium
Light Clay Overgrow
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Earthquake
-Seed Bomb

The problem I was having with Multis was everyone knew EQ and was killing me with it, so I thought I'd go with double flying to alleviate that. Landorus was fantastic as he was immune to Salamence spamming and with double intimidate and Assault Vest he can tank pretty hard too. Plus you can always U-turn him out and bring him back in for more intimidation. Ground/Flying is an excellent type combo on its own although I was having some problems with Rock, even though its neutral 2 other pokemon on my team were weak to it, as well as Ice (blizzard especially could kill both Salamence and Landorus with practically any prior damage). Charizard did his thing, Solar Beam and Flamethrower are excellent coverage and damage of his Special Attack, and could counter the fairies that were OHKOing Salamence.

I'll be working on Rotations next for the final trophy. I intend to use Shell Smash Skill Link Cloyster, but I don't know what else. I'm breeding it out now. I tried a Sandstorm team for lols and got destroyed, as the AI sent out a mix of Garchomp, Aggron, Aerodactyl, Barbaracle, Tyrantrum, (and sadly even Archeops gave me trouble) for 5 fights in a row, ending my existing streak somewhere between 30 and 50 I forget. Im thinking maybe a Fairy and a Ground type (Excadrill comes to mind) to pair with Cloyster but we'll see.

The biggest weakness of the Durant - Gyarados combination, in my mind, is the weakness to Volt Switch. Durant - Cloyster has the same issue, of course, which is why I loved Garchomp as backup, since it can safely switch in on a predicted Volt Switch and dominate the offending Electric-type attacker. Drapion, though bulky, lacks that Electric immunity, so Volt Switch will still go through if you bring it in, forcing you to deal with the Volt Switcher later. Depending on what the opponent brings in off Volt Switch, you can often just bring Durant back in, eat an attack on the switch, and Entrain the new poke, but the lack of an Electric immunity does complicate things a bit. I don't think this is fatal to Durant - Gyarados - Drapion, and certainly, when you can fully set it up, Drapion trumps Garchomp (that inability to boost Speed means Garchomp fears a number of things even at +6), but Garchomp's Electric-type immunity is a huge draw for this type of team.
Did you find the AI actually used Volt Switch? Every Volt Switch user you'll run into after battle #40 has a stronger Electric attack, so I'd think they'd tend to use that instead.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hi :) During the past months, I've been playing the Maison on a semi-regular basis, and now I've almost completely beaten it. Therefore I figured I'd post my teams here. I've won four trophies and the Lansat berry. One of these days, I intend to get together with a friend and win the Multi trophy; as for the Starf berry, I'm just gonna try and see how far I can bring my current streaks, and if one of them happens to reach 200, then all the better. I didn't directly copy any teams from this thread, but it has been very helpful for understanding the maison and the various formats.
(As for the IVs and EVs: I usually breed for 4 IVs, since breeding for 5 would drive me insane. Of course, if something really needs 5, I breed for 5. This is a bit easier now as I already have some mons with 5 IVs that can be used as fathers. The EV spreads are, in case of non-252/252 spreads, usually taken from C&C analyses. If I couldn't find anything, I usually did something by gut instinct, as I wouldn't know which specific benchmarks to use. For instance, I figured my Zapdos could use some HP over Speed, since it'd be dumb to waste its bulk and I use it in Tailwind anyway, so I just shoved 100 EVs into HP).

Teams (including team building process):

Greninja @ Lum Berry
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/19/19/31/31/31
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Mat Block
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Extrasensory

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost -> Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/27/13/31
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Sky Uppercut
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
IVs: 31/31/31/10/18/31
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Hammer Arm
-Bullet Punch

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest
IVs: 31/15/31/31/11/31
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpA / 8 SpD
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

Before I began playing the maison, I didn't know squat about doubles. After failing to build a reliable team for singles, doubles was the second format I tried. I had heard Mat Block Greninja worked very well, so I figured I'd use him as well. I stole the Greninja/Mega Blaziken lead from some guy on youtube, then I figured my team needed some bulk, so I randomly added two bulky IV-bred mons (originally meant for singles) which both knew a spread move and were supposedly good in doubles. The first one was Metagross, who is obnoxiously bulky when equipped with an Assault Vest and also offered some extra utility in Bullet Punch. The other was (Dazzling Gleam/Air Slash/Thunder Wave/Roost, Calm) Togekiss, who quickly proved to be mediocre. I managed to beat the regular doubles, but I quickly noticed Water-types would eventually become a problem; I got to 25 in Super Doubles, when I lost to a Dragon Dance Feraligatr. Then I removed Togekiss from my team and replaced it with a bulky mon that could handle Water-types; Rotom-W fitted the bill perfectly, eliminating them with Thunderbolt and also offering additional utility against physical attackers and stallers in WoW.
The team plays pretty straightforward: usually, on turn 1, Greninja Mat Blocks and Blaziken uses its disgusting power to either kill something or put both opponents in KO range with Rock Slide. After this turn, thanks to Speed Boost, both leads outspeed almost the entire maison, and this turn usually gives me enough momentum to win the battle. In my experience, this team didn't have any glaring flaws. The only problems were in case of an opposing lead faster than Greninja, that either forced Greninja out (e.g. Jolteon/Scarf Darmanitan; I then switched to Metagross, since he can easily take every single one of those hits) or would attack Blaziken (e.g. Crobat; I then used Protect with Blaziken and sniped the dangerous threat with Greninja) and in case of Trick Room (which usually could be outstalled pretty easily with Metagross's and Rotom's bulk and abundant use of Protect). On the first run with Rotom, I beat Evelyn (despite a lot of atrocious misplays, even in the chatelaine battle itself; guess the team was just that good). I eventually lost on battle 90 due to poor play. The opponent led off with Registeel and Heatran; on the Mat Block turn I killed Registeel, out came Latias. I then attacked Heatran with Sky Uppercut and Latias with Ice Beam; both survived, Latias nuked Blaze and Heatran nuked the now Ice-type Greninja. After that, it was a lost cause. Should've just double targeted Heatran, but w/e. I now have a 100 win streak in Doubles though, with a new team member over Metagross:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/19/19/31/31
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Oddly enough, Garchomp was only a test. As stated, I'm gonna do Super Multi with a friend; I offered to borrow him Greninja and Metagross (I'm gonna use Blaziken and Rotom), but he wanted to use his own pokemon. He has a Greninja, but no Metagross. Garchomp can also take every single attack that forces Greninja out, so I figured I'd just do a new run with Garchomp over Metagross in order to test if Garchomp also worked. I easily got to 50, but I had a lot of luck in that run (no veterans, nothing that forced Greninja out, only more trick room than usual), so I just continued, hoping for stronger opponents and a real test for Garchomp. Let's just say I got a little carried away and suddenly found myself at 100. (I had already gotten the Lansat Berry in triples, so it wasn't that nervewracking, fortunately).

As for the sets I guess they're pretty straightforward. On Blaziken I chose Sky Uppercut over HJK because the yolo in using that move in a protect-infested format in a supposedly hax-infested place was a tad too strong for my taste. On Greninja, I opted for Extrasensory over Dark Pulse because that gives a much better defensive typing (with Dark Pulse you're very vulnerable to Fighting-type moves) at the cost of a small amount of coverage (basically, only Slowbro/Slowking/Starmie, all of which get sniped by Rotom). I preferred Lum over Focus Sash because having some shield against first turn status shenanigans was really, really helpful. I also used Focus Sash for a short time (when testing Lum Garchomp), but it genuinely sucked.

Greninja (see Doubles)

Zapdos @ Wise Glasses (didn't know what else to give him, open to suggestions)
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Rash (rofl)
IVs: 6/25/6/16/4/13 (rofl. Just the Zapdos I caught on Platinum five-odd years ago who now by some twist of fate got to return to life as a Maison ace.)
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Tailwind
-Protect

Manny (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Naive
IVs: 1/31/17/31/31/31
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Freeze-Dry
-Ice Shard

Blaziken (see Doubles)

Rotom-W (see Doubles)

Metagross (see Doubles)

Since my Doubles team worked so very well, I naturally based my Triples team on it. As I got to use three leads and therefore one extra turn of setup, I figured I'd take my tactics of 'hit fast and hit hard' to the next level and use a Tailwind team. In the regular triples, I used a support Noivern as tailwind setter, but it was so disgustingly weak I didn't like it. Thus, when Bank arrived, I figured I'd just slap some tutor moves on Zapdos and try if he was any good; turned out he was the best Tailwind setter I could have hoped for. Usually, he sets Tailwind on turn one and then snipes dangerous threats with Thunderbolt or uses Heat Wave to clean up any rubble Greninja and Mamoswine may have left. He also easily defeats Slowbro and Slowking, which is invaluable as this team has a rather glaring weakness to Trick Room. I'm usually hesitant to use legendaries in a place like this since I can't breed them, but Zapdos was more than worth it. I didn't want to use Blaziken as my third lead, as I wanted to use a lead that would actually benefit from Tailwind. I picked Mamoswine, because he's disgustingly strong, has an extremely useful priority move, and can mindlessly spam Earthquakes with Zapdos next to him (If Zapdos faints, I always switch in Rotom, since they are both immune to Earthquake and perform similar roles anyway). Usually, he just starts firing off Earthquakes and/or Icicle Crashes as soon as the battle starts, killing or breaking down at least two opponents, and then dies to LO recoil and the inevitable Focus Blast. This Mamo has Freeze-Dry over Protect because I originally bred it for singles (heh) and the cons don't outweigh the pros that much. Sure, I'm completely helpless against incoming Focus Blasts etc, but Freeze-Dry is very useful for smashing opposing Kingdra, Ludicolo, Gastrodon etc, who I don't have supereffective coverage against. As Mamo is just meant to kill as much as possible and I don't really care if he dies early, and I ideally would have to breed a Jolly one for using Protect, I couldn't be bothered to take out Freeze-Dry.
In comparison to my Doubles team, this team has a rather obvious Trick Room weakness, as I only have two bulky mons to stall out those turns. On my first run, I got to 89 battles, when a Trick Room Slowbro waltzed in after Zapdos had died and I got destroyed by a rampaging Clawitzer. On my second run, I got the Lansat Berry; I'm now at 150 and still going strong. I just wanna see how far this team can get; I feel it lacks just a little bit of consistency, but on the other hand there was only one game in those 150 where I lost momentum, so I'm genuinely curious.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Naive
IVs: 16/31/31/31/24/31
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Hydro Pump

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
IVs: 31/1/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Psychic

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll -> Thick Fat
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 31/17/31/31/31/25
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Earthquake
-Leech Seed

The first serious team I tried in singles consisted of Infernape/Sash Alakazam/Ferrothorn. I got to 37 using this, but it lacked power and lost to a bulky Volcarona. By then I had gotten sick of the AI's cheap tactics, so I switched to doubles and triples, and when I returned to singles I used the ultimate anti-Maison mon: Cloyster. The others are primarily here to support Cloyster. Chandelure absorbs WoW and Fake Out, the Choice Scarf ensures it can attack before it gets killed. Venusaur absorbs Thunder Wave (at least, isn't massive troubled by it) and powder moves, and can outstall bulkier opponents. I literally lost at battle 49 using this team (against Mienshao/bulletproof Chesnaught/Scrafty. I don't remember a lot except the AI switching out Mienshao to Chesnaught while Chandelure locked itself into Shadow Ball - lucky guess I assume, since Mienshao couldn't hurt Chandelure I guess - and some choking on my part), so I used my 'easy mode' team to recover my streak and switched back to this team for the final two battles. (I beat battles 1 to 50 using this team, don't judge :p). Cloyster did 90% of the work of course, including eating Nita alive.

Skippy (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
IVs: 31/31/31/10/31/31
-Power-Up Punch
-Return
-Sucker Punch
-Earthquake

Zar'roc (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/6/31/13
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

Glaedr (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
IVs: 31/31/31/18/31/31
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake

I used this team to easily restore my streak after I lost at 49. Obviously it consists of as much broken shit as possible without any real attention to team synergy. I usually lead with Khan and destroy everything, unless the opponent uses a fast or bulky Fighting-type or a banded Superpower Armaldo, in which case I switch in to Aegislash, set up 2 or 3 SDs, and proceed to destroy everything. Dragonite was used only rarely, but it's obviously an excellent standalone sweeper too. After getting the trophy, I did some extra battles (now I'm at 55), but I probably won't continue this one. Khan is so broken it takes all the fun away (as for Blaziken and Mega Nuke, those are only broken in singles, so don't judge).

Mittens (Meowstic-M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/31/31/11/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Safeguard
-Thunder Wave

Glaedr (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
IVs: 31/31/31/18/31/31
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake

Anubis (Lucario) @ Lucarionite (probably lame nickname, I just wanted this entire team to be nicknamed. At least it's better than Anakin)
Ability: Inner Focus -> Adaptability
Nature: Timid
IVs: 15/13/31/31/23/31
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Dark Pulse

Tingle (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/26/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
-Moonblast
-Flamethrower
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight

This team... surprised me, to say the least. This is the only team I didn't steal any specific mons for; I just went with literally everything I knew about Rotation battles, which was 'setup sweepers work' and 'dual screens are probably nice'. I then actually won the trophy on my first run, using a team I basically threw together on gut instinct and still not having an idea what I was doing. I didn't expect to even get this trophy at all, so ya.
As my first setup sweeper, I chose my poor, poor, banned Luke, in order to give him some time in the limelight too. As a dual screener, I preferred Meowstic over Klefki, because I hate Klefki (and he has awful defensive synergy with Luke, but nobody cares about that). Meowstic runs Thunder Wave in order to have some use when screens are already up, and Safeguard because running into a Thunder Wave Lanturn two battles in a row left me paranoid (fortunately, this team doesn't really give a shit about WoW) and because it's got nothing better to do anyway. I then needed a physical sweeper as my third starting mon, and I chose Dragonite because it's Dragonite. As my backup, I figured Unaware Clefable would be best, in order to counter any sweepers that had been setting up alongside mine. Clefable actually had to come out only twice; the first time was when Darmanitan critted Meowstic through Reflect (eight turns of Reflect were still plenty to set up myself and defeat the opponents), the second time was when a +3 Suicune killed Dragonite from full health. Since the opposing team also had a Moltres, I was afraid to rotate in Lucario; however, Clefable set up a couple of Calm Minds itself in Suicune's face, easily defeated it, and brought Moltres in Luke's KO range. Good times. (And slaughtering Morgan's team by itself, if necessary, with only Reflect support is pretty nice too of course.)
Obviously this team is extremely straightforward, I just use Meowstic's screens to let Dragonite and Luke (and Clefable) boost easily. Dragonite becomes almost impossible to OHKO taking screens and Multiscale into account, and even Luke can survive stuff like an unboosted Terrakion's Sacred Sword. I tended to be a little more careful with him if powerful supereffective stuff like Darmanitan was on the opposing team, however. Usually I just spammed the safest move and didn't even try predicting the opponent's rotations - the few times I did failed horribly lol (a gem was using Dark Pulse on Morgan's Maranga berry Cobalion, expecting her to rotate to Latias). Although I'm mostly focusing on doubles & triples atm and I probably won't continue this streak anytime soon, I'm honestly quite intrigued as to how far this team can get. I don't see any glaring flaws (aside from being vulnerable to crits, obviously, but hey, what team isn't) and, more importantly, it only uses moves with perfect accuracy so it should be sufficiently consistent. On the other hand, I still suck at predicting rotations, which will probably be my downfall in the long run. After I lose at doubles or triples, I might continue this streak :)

As for the notorious hax, I think that's somewhat exaggerated. I didn't run into a lot of crazy stuff (well, on a rare occasion there were a lot of dice rolls in the AI's favour, but hey, statistically stuff like that can happen every 50 battles) and I didn't notice any deliberate anti-teaming (if that were the case, I would've run into a lot of Fake Out/Thunderwave leads in a row with Cloyster. I have to admit I did slightly try to prevent this though; some guy at Serebiiforums posted he rotated his teams in order to throw off the alleged anti-teaming. I think this goes way too far and is likely to cause one to lose instead, but still, I never enter the same format twice in a row, thereby indirectly rotating teams. Either this worked, or there was no anti-teaming to begin with; it doesn't really matter of course, but it's probably the latter). I think it's just that people (including me) tend to more easily remember the striking stuff, statistically it's basically guaranteed to happen in a long streak, and of course the AI's tactics don't exactly prevent hax from happening ^.^ the RNG might be a little in the AI's favour, but that's a pretty much confirmed fact in video games in general. Even in XY it's certainly not exclusive to the maison (the craziest thing that happened to me was actually in the Battle Chateau, when my Escavalier remained frozen for ~15 turns against some Glaceon).

Next I'm gonna get the final trophy and try how far I can extend my other streaks. If I can get the Starf berry or get on the leaderboards, then all the better, but that's not a goal in itself; I've already accomplished way more here than I could have possibly dreamed of, and I tend to drive myself crazy way too easily when thinking up that kind of goals.
If (when?) I get the multi trophy and my streaks end, I'll be sure to report again. Any commentary regarding my teams/estimates how far they can get is also appreciated of course ^.^ (maybe except singles, I hate singles. As for replays, I might edit those in later.)

Last edited:

NoCheese

Did you find the AI actually used Volt Switch? Every Volt Switch user you'll run into after battle #40 has a stronger Electric attack, so I'd think they'd tend to use that instead.
Opponents did use it some, since it can KO, though felt like it was used less than last generation. It only shows up on seven pokes in the set 4 + all legendaries collection, and it certainly won't be used all the time by them, so it might not be as big an issue as I felt. As I played against it a lot in the Subway, I got kind of paranoid about it, and played around it really conservatively in my Maison streak too.

Opponents did use it some, since it can KO, though felt like it was used less than last generation. It only shows up on seven pokes in the set 4 + all legendaries collection, and it certainly won't be used all the time by them, so it might not be as big an issue as I felt. As I played against it a lot in the Subway, I got kind of paranoid about it, and played around it really conservatively in my Maison streak too.
Zebrastrika will use Wild Charge against Durant. The other stuff uses Thunderbolt/Fire move. That definitely helps against something like the Zapdos that has Detect. If it blocked Entrainment with Detect, you'd be scrambling pretty badly, but it goes for the KO with Heat Wave. Volt Switch will definitely be a lesser concern than all the other stuff that screws up Entrainment. If Rampardos 4 uses Protect against Durant, it's a major problem. Probably would have to fudge the EVs/IVs to make sure Head Smash is a guaranteed KO against it.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zebrastrika will use Wild Charge against Durant. The other stuff uses Thunderbolt/Fire move. That definitely helps against something like the Zapdos that has Detect. If it blocked Entrainment with Detect, you'd be scrambling pretty badly, but it goes for the KO with Heat Wave. Volt Switch will definitely be a lesser concern than all the other stuff that screws up Entrainment. If Rampardos 4 uses Protect against Durant, it's a major problem. Probably would have to fudge the EVs/IVs to make sure Head Smash is a guaranteed KO against it.
I'm not sure even guaranteeing the AI a KO is enough to deter it from Protecting - I've seen random Protects even when the mon could secure a KO with one of its moves. It already has a 6.3% chance to KO, which seems like it'd be a move the AI likes plenty even without cutting bulk.

If it Protects, the best plan is probably to sac Durant and stall out its Head Smash PP with Sub/Protect on Gyarados to guarantee that it will later use EQ on Drapion, and then go for Intimidate switching to set up Drapion. Even a damaged Gyarados should be enough to take out Unaware Quagsire should the need arise and Rampardos can't kill itself with Head Smash recoil with Protect/Sub taking out the PP, so it should be a secure set-up for the victory.

Edit: VaporeonIce, good thinking on Zapdos2. Moving 44 Speed EVs from Defense to Speed seems like a good change to give better odds against it. Defense isn't as essential with Intimidate and Entrainment support anyway, so there should be very little drawback to losing a few points. For Medicham4, Drapion is also immune to Psycho Cut, so Intimidate switching to cut down its Attack is an option to try and get more boosts, though it's risky and probably not a great idea with Drapion being unable to set up because of its suicidal Life Orb HJK tendencies and Gyarados dying to a critical Psycho Cut. Against it, maybe switching in Gyarados on turn 1 to preserve Durant and going for the +1 with the option to sac Drapion or Gyarados for another chance at Durant set-up if something bad comes out next is the best option.

Edit 2: Wait, I forgot it's going to use Psycho Cut and not HJK on Megarados, so there's no problem with just Entraining it and going for the +1 into sac play only on Detect/Fake Out. +1 only on Gyarados is definitely saccing it, as I'm running 252 HP / 252 Atk so its speed is still bad at +1, and Megarados really needs at least +2 to sweep even if it had more Speed since that's the point where its Waterfall reaches a similar power level to Dragonite's +1 Outrage.

Edit 3: Speaking of 252 HP, it should be changed to 244 for an odd HP in order to be able to use Substitute four times for stalling cases like the Rampardos4 one.

Edit 4: More on Medicham, seems like it can also OHKO Gyarados with critical HJK, so switching in Gyarados on a HJK aimed at Durant is not safe at all. And saccing Durant would be even less safe with Gyarados only being able to get to +1, and needing to Mega Evolve for that, denying the possibility of Intimidate set-up later. I'm thinking of re-EVing Gyarados for extra Defense in order to guarantee survival on critical HJK to solve the Medicham problem for good.

Last edited:
I... have definitely experienced a lapse of attention.

My rotation streak has come to a gruesome end because I'm too stupid to notice if I have a Sub up or not.

Battle #444: 6QKG-WWWW-WWW8-9PR9

I do not recommend watching that video, as it will only serve to depress you.

The short version is, I didn't mind letting Hippowdon4 set up all the Curses she wanted, because I could very easily just stall her out of Crunches and Earthquakes with Sub-Roost Zapdos and then knock her out either with +6 Parental Bond Return, or Toxic damage after I also stalled out its Rests. Or let it Struggle to death for all I care. I had plenty of ways to win. However in a moment of distraction, thinking about how much +6 Parental Bond Return would do to +6 Hippo4, I overlooked the fact that a Crunch had just broken my Sub, and continued to waste Thunderbolt PP instead of getting a new one out. Zapdos went down and Frozen Kanga and Klefki were almost helpless against Hippo's +4 or whatever it was at Crunches. Honestly, I was surprised it still had any left.

So my final streak is 443. I sincerely hope someone will come along and take the #1 spot from me very soon, because I feel weird holding the top spot despite being such a phallus.

Here are the links to my previous two posts about this team. Where you can find the sets and whatever comments I made about them:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-64#post-5422420
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-72#post-5511615

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)