Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
After a year and a half of crying about cosmetic and other non-game-changing stuff...

This update added 5 new weapons, which are pretty meh. More importantly, it added 14 new taunts

I was excited for them, too, since I joined about a year and 3/4 ago, so the only new weapons I've seen are the three Mecha ones. But other than the B.A.S.E. Jumper, none of them are all that special. The Tide Turner is just the legalized version of the joystick turning exploit that's also basically infinite melee crits as long as you know how to run into people, the Back Scatter practically already exists with Crit-A-Cola, the Classic's move speed reduction makes it awful (hence why they removed that feature from the Cozy Camper), and the Air Strike is rather underwhelming because if you want to use that increased attack speed, you have only two rockets with reduced damage and explosions to kill somebody with. You also hurt yourself in the process, and if you die, there goes your clip.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The weapons don't look meh to me. Valve finally fixed the dumb charge scripts by giving something to reward it anyway, and this sniper rifle seems really interesting/crap/broken. That scattergun looks amazing too. It'll be nice to try these again.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Wow, I had two responces from a post over a year old... lol

Anyway, what exactly are these new items? I havent played TF2 for a few months (probably since Xmas), so it might be worth popping back on a for a bit to see if I can get these additional new items.

As regards to what characters people play I nearly always play Soldier/Heavy, but I can play pretty much every class to some degree of use (I am a horrible Spy but I've gotten some amazing games as him).

I'd probably order them: Heavy/Soldier/Medic/Pyro/Engineer/Sniper/Demo/Scout/Spy

I need to get back int playing it again because we have a LAN event in about a months time :D

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh God Damn this was the greatest update of all time. Rampup on stickybombs and the minigun? Demonstrations man is over. He's not even being run in competitive anymore. This update is THE biggest update to team fortress balance ever since hats

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Oh God Damn this was the greatest update of all time. Rampup on stickybombs and the minigun? Demonstrations man is over. He's not even being run in competitive anymore. This update is THE biggest update to team fortress balance ever since hats
What? Can you explain that in English? Have they nerfed both of them?

EDIT: Holy shit after 7 years.... the Demo actually does what its supposed too! :D Also the Heavy nerf is awful :( He didn't need that.

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
sticky bombs do less damage immediately after deployment and ramp up over time, i assume minigun is the same way

I gotta ask the important question: did the update bring any optimization with it? I for sure can't take another fps drop... :/

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/June_18,_2014_Patch

Weapon changes and updates
  • With The Hitman's Heatmaker, pressing 'reload' now activates focus when it is full
  • The Axtinguisher now does mini-crit damage from the front and full crit damage from behind to burning targets
  • The Bushwacka can no longer randomly crit
  • All mini-guns now have damage and accuracy ramp up after they start firing. Full accuracy and damage is reached 1 second after firing.
  • All Demoman stickybombs now have damage ramp up. Full damage is reached 2 seconds after firing.
  • Updated Loch-n-Load reload animation
  • Sentry bullets are now affected by damage falloff outside of sentry scan range
  • Sentry bullet damage has been changed so it calculates damage based on the sentry's position, not the Engineer's
so yeaaaaa. I've been playing tf2 since like March or something idr so I'm semi new?? As for the new weapons, Air Strike + BASE Jumper seems pretty common recently in pubs. It's pretty devastating once your clip size starts increasing and it becomes more spammy than bazooka lolol. Seems pretty useful when in the open though you become sorta more vulnerable to snipers but I guess you can throw them off by staggering the parachutes or something. Pretty good update with the nerfs for some stuff. Tide Turner, BASE Jumper, and Air Strike are probably the better weapons in this update? Classic is mehh and Back Scatter is idk. BASE + AS is so situational though.

Anyway as with the previous page, I main Spy with usually Spycicle now (cos yay silent-ish stabs and Burn Heal) with any watch depending on map / situation. I once crafted my CnD to YER then to my Spycicle but I missed CnD for some maps so much so my friend traded me one yesterday :D I'm back to using CnD pretty often and leaning more to gun spy with Amby (but my aim sucks) and get like way more gun kills than backstabs lolol with pretty good survivability. Gun spy so fun since you can p much shoot from anywhere. I get lucky headshots sometimes but usually go for the headshot + bodyshot on snipers/engi. Tend to offclass to gunslinger/Soldier/almost anything other than heavy/demo if there are stuff I can't handle as spy and can't help the team much. Loadouts for Solly now I roam with Black Box and Escape Plan. Wrangler Gunslinger Engi with FJ but now experimenting with Windowmaker cos no reload sounds good but aim sux so .-. Machina Jarate Bushwacka Sniper. FaN Sandman Scout. Pretty much that. Would love to play with Smogoners but timezone and only available on weekends so :( also f2p so rip bag full haha xd

Thoughts on the balance update.
  • Axtinguisher nerf was completely unecessary. The weapon was fine as is and bad players are still going to get killed by it even with mini-crit nerf. I'm honestly shocked people are still so bad at this game that they wanted to nerf a close range weapon that dealt massive damage on the class that has no reliable ranged attacks in this game. It was already barely used compared to the Powerjack, and there's pretty much no reason to use it anymore.
  • Bushwacka random crit nerf is long overdue, but fairly welcome.
  • Minigun nerf is ok. This helps skill index an otherwise braindead class.
  • Stickybomb nerf is kind of a mixed bag for me. The nerf of this weapon is essentially the biggest game changer in TF2 history, hands down. It tones down Demoman's offensive presence (which is absolutely fantastic for the game) but does seem a little bit overdone. The damage ramp up is truly necessary as the Stickybomb Launcher was easily the most OP weapon in the game consistently for the past 7 years. However, 2 seconds seems a bit harsh as this does hamper Demoman's signature defensive / offensive versatility. I think we'll really have to get used to this nerf before we start crying to change it back (please don't, it's better this way) but I think a slightly quicker ramp-up time would balance it perfectly.
  • Sentry fall-off is great, but doesn't matter that much unless you're up against a wrangler engie. The sentries also got an indirect buff with Demoman stickybombs getting nerfed, so this doesn't change that much.

The new weapons are pretty cool (The Classic is utter garbage though) but the only two that are actually useable are the Base Jumper and Tide Turner. Base Jumper is just straight up fun and makes divebombing cool, and Tide Turner is simply the best shield in the game and makes Demoknight kind of viable. The back scatter is cool in theory, but the Scout is most useful when he's in face to face combat. The downsides of the weapon just don't work with Scout. The Air Strike is also pretty weak in general and is really only somewhat useful when used with the Base Jumper. Otherwise, Beggar's Bazooka just works better with it.

Overall the real good parts of this update were the balance changes. I'm a Pyro main, so the indirect buffs to some of the Pyro's most difficult matchups, Demo and Heavy, getting their main tools nerfed is welcome. Pyro is actually more viable in competitive now which is cool.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Demonerf reverted, thank god.
Oh really? Man, I really enjoyed my games on Saturday with no demos being whores with the sticky launcher...

Eurgh... Fucking competitive players fucking the game for everyone else... Thats the way the demo was supposed to be used >_> Not as an air defence with sticky as primary. What a joke. I really hope they DO fix the sticky launcher, its been needing a nerf for years.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/June_23,_2014_Patch

Why did they change the bottle to not break? That was one of the most unique things :(

GatoDelFuego

I find it sad that there's people that think pyro was too powerful but demoman was balanced. The axt nerf is annoying, but the best weapon is already the powerjack, so most pyro mains just accepted it. I'm interested to see what they're going to change about the SL, and it better be soon

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I find it sad that there's people that think pyro was too powerful but demoman was balanced. The axt nerf is annoying, but the best weapon is already the powerjack, so most pyro mains just accepted it. I'm interested to see what they're going to change about the SL, and it better be soon
Agreed there. Pyro can be annoying, but in general its no where near as powerful as the Demoman. He is overall one of the best classes in the game (probably ahead of a well played Soldier/Scout). Good HP, amazing weaponry, can close distance, defend areas, take out sentrys etc... Almost none of the other classes can claim to be able to do ALL of that.

If they wanted to emphasize the stickybomb's trapping ability, they should've started with removing the 15% damage ramp-down from having stickies deployed for more than 5 seconds.

I do think that the Demoman is OP. As it stands, he completely outclasses the Soldier at higher levels, and the only reason why he isn't retardedly dominant is because of his Scout weakness. However, this was too much. The Demoman is supposed to be crowd control, being able to take out multiple players swiftly but being at a significant disadvantage 1-on-1. Currently that disadvantage isn't there, but the nerf just reversed the situation and left him being shit against both. An easy nerf that would remove his Soldier-esque 1v1 capabilities while still keeping his excellent crowd control ability would be if they just made air stickies do less damage.

Um, Demoman is arguably the weakest 1on1 combat class, if you can get close to him it's basically a free kill... Yes he is the most powerful class in the game, but that will be very hard to change without making stickies very very bad (20 damage airbursts are exactly that).

Um, Demoman is arguably the weakest 1on1 combat class, if you can get close to him it's basically a free kill... Yes he is the most powerful class in the game, but that will be very hard to change without making stickies very very bad (20 damage airbursts are exactly that).
Against what, Soldier, Scout, and Heavy? Only two of which are able to consistently get close to Demo without it being Demos fault, and Soldier and Scout are built to be great at DM.

Honestly, it sucks they re-buffed the SL. The game was starting to feel really fresh again. I would've loved if they starting working off of that nerf which, I agree, was a little too much. The 2 second ramp-up time was harsh, but not far off from where the sticky needs to be.

Also, if anything's going to get touched, it's the stickybomb's airburst capability, which is a pretty big reason why it's OP. 1 second ramp-up would be pretty nice, but I think TF2's whiny community has sufficiently scared Valve from doing that. They said they're going to look into other ways to nerf it, which means they're probably going to touch it in a few months sadly.

Pyro's been one of the two most useless classes in the game, from its' inception up until now and into the future, oh well.

Against what, Soldier, Scout, and Heavy? Only two of which are able to consistently get close to Demo without it being Demos fault, and Soldier and Scout are built to be great at DM.
And even then, Demo isn't that bad against Soldier. It's a disadvantage, but the better player is going to come out on top regardless, so I wouldn't call it a counter.

As for the Pyro, I don't think it needed a nerf, but I do not feel bad at all for the people this affects. After years of being called useless and skill-less just because I wanted to actually use my primary weapon to kill people and attack multiple people at once, I'm happy that these pricks can't be elitist anymore. Now people will have to realize that flamethrower-based gameplay does take skill, as they'll quickly learn that the "w+m1" they've been labeling traditional Pyro play as for years will get them killed instantly. Also, I hope they buff the other viable weapons to replace the Axtinguisher, such as the Powerjack (the original stats were fine) and Reserve Shooter (something like "+15% damage when launched into the air").

Last edited:
The Axtinguisher nerf is the best thing to happen to Pyro in my opinion, most good pyros only use it against heavies and such anyway, Flare Gun is sufficient for burst damage and Powerjack offers you much more utility.
Yes, those are the main combat classes.

GatoDelFuego

Runic who the hell was telling you w + m1 was skilless? I guarantee it wasn't "elitist pyro mains", as every one of them knows the flamethrower is the best source of damage. My guess is it was bad players crying they got killed by a "weak" class.

It amazes me how "overpowered" pyro is to some people, no matter what he does. Despite being the second most useless class in comp (behind spy) and having the worst dps in the game (factoring healing, even the blutsauger is stronger), people still think he's OP. Pyro has almost been universally nerfed across the years, with recent buffs only to the reserve shooter (soldier weapon) and powerjack (replaced a fantastic set bonus). As for those weapons, they certainly don't need to be buffed. The powerjack's speed boost is far superior to every other melee weapon, and the RS is amazingly broken right now; its power goes a long way in making pyro viable. Currently running degreaser, rs, powerjack, and before demos came back with a vengeance it was doing great.

Pyro can die in a fire (haha), airblast is a broken mechanic in its concept and it makes the game less enjoyable for everyone. Also Pyro is mainly a support class, you're not supposed to do heavy damage with it so stop the whining about nerfs thank you. (Also I'd say Spy is more useful in 6v6, it can be incredibly easy to get a crucial pick if you act fast)
I find it funny that they're trying to fix the game NOW, after 7 years. I just wish it was in preparation for more competitive support (maybe after i52?).

Problem being Pyro just doesn't do much of anything. And really, for a class with one effective range and immobility having worse burst(outside of reflects and now backaxes) than Soldier, Scout, Demo, Heavy, Engi, Sniper, and Spy by extreme margins is pretty glaringly problematic once you get to the point where people aim in the general direction of their enemy and the Bat isn't supreme Heavy counter anymore. She's got a 10 second moment of glory when an ubercharge is coming for your sentry and that's the most of it. Fire and afterburn are literally useless.

Valve please buff my Rainblower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)