Jellicent (QC 2/3)

QC: atomicllamas, molk
GP:

Overview
########
  • Great typing allows Jellicent to be a decent spinblocker
  • Checks a wide range of threats such as Cobalion, Escavalier, Yanmega
  • Access to reliable recovery, will-o-wisp, and taunt which is great for a defensive mon
  • Typing leaves it weak to the common Knock Off, as well as common Grass- and Electric-type moves
  • Faces competition for a team slot with other spinblockers as well as other bulky Water-types such as Alomomola and Slowking
  • Can be set up bait for the likes of Virizion.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Scald
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Taunt / Shadow Ball
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Scald is great on a defensive Water-type; STAB and nice burn chance
  • W-o-w is preferred to further cripple physical attackers
  • Recover is vital for longevity
  • Shadow Ball is secondary STAB that has really good coverage
  • Taunt shuts down hazard users, clerics, etc.
  • Ice Beam has merit for targeting Grass-types such as Rotom-C, Amoonguss etc
  • Toxic is an option to target special attackers such as slowking but is generally inferior to the utility offered by w-o-w

Set Details
========
  • EVs for physical bulk and enough speed to outrun Alomomola
  • Water Absorb is preferred to avoid any damage, heal, and is cool for not being burned by Scald.
  • Cursed Body is definitely viable as it allows Jelli to potentially beat mons that have only one move to damage it with. recover stalling and waiting for the hax
  • Lefties are staple on defensive mons.

Usage Tips
========
  • switch into pokemon using rapid spin to block it, as well as act as somewhat of a physical wall in general to check the likes of Durant, Escavalier, and Cobalion.
  • be wary of knock off from spinners such as hitmonlee and kabutops
  • similarly, take note that many of the Pokemon Jellicent can check can carry moves to severely damage it with. eg Emboar's Grass Knot or Wild Charge and Durant's Crunch.
  • Use Taunt as much as is wise when you face defensive Pokemon to prevent them from setting up entry hazards, and, importantly, stop them from inflicting status. Be wary against certain opponents though, trying to block Amoonguss's Spore is risky when Giga Drain does heavy damage
  • try and spread burns with Scald and will-o-wisp as much as possible as this will quickly wear down the opposing team.

Team Options
========
  • This set is suited to balanced or stall teams
  • Grass-type partners are good to take on Grass- and Electric attacks that Jellicent fears. Amoonguss and Tangrowth work well in this role, and appreciate Jellicent taking Fire- and Ice-type moves.
  • Knock Off and Dark moves in general pose a threat, so bulky Fighting-type Pokemon are good choices. Emboar roasts Grass-types, while Virizion can also take on Electric-type moves.
  • Gligar has nice type synergy with jellicent and removes entry hazards with defog, which Jellicent appreciates.
  • Cleric support from the likes of aromatisse is very useful, and wishpassing can ease the pressure on Jellicent to use recover.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
evs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
nature:

Moves
========
same as above:
  • Scald is great on a defensive Water-type; STAB and nice burn chance
  • W-o-w is preferred to cripple physical attackers
  • Recover is vital for longevity
  • Shadow Ball is secondary STAB that has really good coverage
  • Taunt shuts down hazard users, clerics, etc.
  • Ice Beam has merit for targeting Grass-types such as Rotom-C, Amoonguss etc
  • Toxic is an option to target special attackers such as slowking but is generally inferior to the utility offered by w-o-w

Set Details
========
  • Special Defense EVs bolster Jelli's already good Special Defense. Speed EVs outspeed alomomola
  • Calm nature for more SpD bulk
  • Water Absorb is preferred to avoid any damage, heal, and is cool for not being burned by Scald.
  • Cursed Body is definitely viable as it allows Jelli to potentially beat mons that have only one move to damage it with. recover stalling and waiting for the hax
  • Leftovers is self explanatory

Usage Tips
========
  • This set focuses on acting more as a wall against special attackers such as yanmega and somewhat less of a spinblocker
  • Be really wary about Knock Off from spinners and fighting-types as without investment Jelli isn't going to be taking physical hits well.
  • remember that by virtue of its typing jellicent can still check some physical attackers - will-o-wisp and scald burns are even more important, however.
  • jellicent can be worn down quite easily so try and keep healthy with recover or simply avoid trying to check too many threats at once.
  • Some special attackers that this set is designed to check can bypass jellicent's high Special Defense thanks to psyshock. Delphox and Reuniclus are relevant examples

Team Options
========
  • This set works best in defensive or balanced teams - jelli really needs to be on teams with good synergy as is weak to many top tier threats.
  • Pokemon that can handle physical attackers are a must, Cobalion is decent as it takes Dark moves while Jelli absorbs Fire- and Fighting-type moves and special attacks in general.
  • Grass-types are great partners for defensive synergy. Virizion and Amoonguss in particular.
  • Fire-types such as emboar and delphox roast opposing Grass pokemon
  • Gligar is a cool partner as it provides defog support (though this can be counter productive with Jelli's common spinblocking role). Jelli eats up Ice- and Water-type moves for Gligar.

Other Options
########
  • Offensive Scarf/Specs water spout
  • Trick Room
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Magic Coat
  • Trick (choice items, flame orb, etc)

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Zoroark, Sharpedo, Drapion, Knock Off users in general. most have to watch out for w-o-w though.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Amoonguss and Tangrowth pretty much come in for free, Virizion can set up.

**Big Hitters**: Kabutops's Stone Edge can 2HKO even defensive variants, same with Druddigon, Clawitzer, and mons with coverage moves such as Durant and Emboar.

**Electric-types**: Rotom-C, Jolteon, Heliolisk, Magneton

**Status**: Toxic in particular from other walls, tspikes is also really bad

QC: atomicllamas, molk
GP:

Overview
########
Jellicent boasts several uncommon qualities, that, in the past, allowed it to hold its own in higher tiers. Its great Water / Ghost typing allows it to function as a spinblocker as well as check many common Pokemon such as Cobalion and Escavalier. Access to reliable recovery and utility moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Taunt is also very useful for any defensive Pokemon. However, these benefits are heavily undermined by several glaring flaws. Jellicent's typing can be readily exploited by Knock Off users, as well as common Grass- and Electric-type Pokemon. In addition, Jellicent's bulk, while decent, falls short of other bulky Pokemon in the tier, leading to severe competition from the likes of Slowking and Alomomola. Jellicent's role as a spinblocker is also rather shaky, as Defog is quite common.

Utility
########
name: Utility
evs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Scald's high chance of inflicting a burn makes it the STAB move of choice, and it works very well in tandem with Will-O-Wisp as it deals respectable damage to most Pokemon that are immune to Will-O-Wisp, such as Fire-types. Recover is vital to keep Jellicent healthy throughout the match so that it may check opposing threats consistently. Jellicent provides great utility through its access to Taunt. This shuts down enemy entry hazard users, clerics, and status users. Alternatively, Shadow Ball has very good neutral coverage, though it is rather weak. Toxic is an option that allows Jellicent to target special attackers such as Slowking, though it is generally inferior to Will-O-Wisp. Finally, Ice Beam has merit for targeting Grass-types such as Rotom-C, Virizion, and Amoonguss.

Set Details
========
Jellicent's physical bulk is emphasized by the given EVs, while allowing enough Speed to outrun and Taunt Alomomola. In terms of Abilities, Water Absorb is preferred to grant a complete immunity and slight healing from Water-type attacks, and is particularly good for avoiding a burn from Scald. On the other hand, Cursed Body is certainly viable as it allows Jellicent to potentially beat Pokemon that have only one move to damage it with by stalling with Recover until Cursed Body activates. Leftovers are chosen as they are a staple item on any defensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
Use Jellicent to spinblock by switching into Pokemon that will use Rapid Spin, though it is important to realize that such a play is very predictable; spinners such as Hitmonlee and Kabutops often carry Knock Off to punish an attempted spinblock. Jellicent should also use its typing and its ability to inflict burns to check physical attackers such as Durant, Escavalier, and Cobalion. However, be aware that many of the Pokemon that Jellicent can check also carry moves that can deal significant damage. Durant's Crunch and Emboar's Wild Charge or Grass Knot are good examples. Use Taunt as mush as is prudent when facing defensive Pokemon to prevent them from setting up entry hazards, and, importantly, stop them from inflicting status. Foes such as Alomomola will be unable to touch Jellicent at all. However, be wary against certain threats, using Taunt to block Amoonuguss's Spore would be very ill-advised when Giga Drain deals heavy damage. Will-O-Wisp and Scald should be used liberally to spread burns and slowly grind down the opposing team.

Team Options
========
This set is very suited to balanced or stall teams. Grass-type partners are great choices to absorb Electric- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Jellicent. Amoonguss and Tangrowth work well in this role, and appreciate Jellicent taking Fire- and Ice-type moves. Dark moves, especially Knock Off, pose a considerable threat, so bulky Fighting-type Pokemon make for good partners. Emboar can handle these moves, while also roasting Grass-types, while Virizion takes on Electric- and Grass-type attacks. Gligar has decent type synergy with Jellicent and can remove entry hazards with Defog, which Jellicent appreciates, though it can sometimes conflict with Jellicent's spinblocking role. Cleric support from the likes of Aromatisse can be invaluable if Jellicent is caught by status, and Wishpassing can ease the pressure on Jellicent to use Recover.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
evs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
nature:

Moves
========
Inflicting burns is emphasized in Scald and Will-O-Wisp, which works very well with Jellicent's Special Defense investment. Recover is mandatory in order to keep Jellicent's health up throughout the duration of the match so that it may repeatedly switch into the Pokemon it checks and avoid being worn down. Taunt is an excellent choice in the final slot, as it shuts down most defensive Pokemon such as Alomomola, as well as various entry hazard users, while Shadow Ball offers a secondary STAB attack with excellent neutral coverage. Ice Beam is also a decent option to target Grass-types such as Virizion and Amoonguss, and Toxic can be used to cripple special attackers such as Slowking.

Set Details
========
A specially defensive EV spread and Calm nature bolsters Jellicent's already good special bulk, making it a formidable wall. Jellicent has two excellent abilities; Water Absorb is preferred as it provides a completely immunity to Water-type moves, notably Scald. Cursed Body is viable, and can be particularly useful against foes that only have one move to significantly damage Jellicent with. In these situations Jellicent can often stall with Recover until Cursed Body activates.

Usage Tips
========

• This set focuses on acting more as a wall against special attackers such as yanmega and somewhat less of a spinblocker
  • Be really wary about Knock Off from spinners and fighting-types as without investment Jelli isn't going to be taking physical hits well.
  • remember that by virtue of its typing jellicent can still check some physical attackers - will-o-wisp and scald burns are even more important, however.
  • jellicent can be worn down quite easily so try and keep healthy with recover or simply avoid trying to check too many threats at once.
  • Some special attackers that this set is designed to check can bypass jellicent's high Special Defense thanks to psyshock. Delphox and Reuniclus are relevant examples

Team Options
========
  • This set works best in defensive or balanced teams - jelli really needs to be on teams with good synergy as is weak to many top tier threats.
  • Pokemon that can handle physical attackers are a must, Cobalion is decent as it takes Dark moves while Jelli absorbs Fire- and Fighting-type moves and special attacks in general.
  • Grass-types are great partners for defensive synergy. Virizion and Amoonguss in particular.
  • Fire-types such as emboar and delphox roast opposing Grass pokemon
  • Gligar is a cool partner as it provides defog support (though this can be counter productive with Jelli's common spinblocking role). Jelli eats up Ice- and Water-type moves for Gligar.

Other Options
########
  • Offensive Scarf/Specs water spout
  • Trick Room
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Magic Coat
  • Trick (choice items, flame orb, etc)

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Zoroark, Sharpedo, Drapion, Knock Off users in general. most have to watch out for w-o-w though.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Amoonguss and Tangrowth pretty much come in for free, Virizion can set up.

**Big Hitters**: Kabutops's Stone Edge can 2HKO even defensive variants, same with Druddigon, Clawitzer, and mons with coverage moves such as Durant and Emboar.

**Electric-types**: Rotom-C, Jolteon, Heliolisk, Magneton

**Status**: Toxic in particular from other walls, tspikes is also really bad

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Not about an offensive set, but I find this a tad confusing tbh:

Overview
########
  • Great typing allows Jellicent to be an effective spinblocker
  • Checks a wide range of threats such as Cobalion, Escavalier, Yanmega
  • Access to reliable recovery, will-o-wisp, and taunt which is great for a defensive mon
  • Typing leaves it weak to the common Knock Off, as well as common Grass- and Electric-type move
Don't have much experience using Jelli myself, but I don't think it's the best Escavalier check since every Escavalier ever runs Knock Off. I get Jelli can cripple it with WoW, but this is at the cost of its Leftovers and a solid chunk of damage. I know Jelli beats Esca one on one if it has to, but I don't think it's the best example. I could be completely wrong of course, but this was just something that bothered me.

Not about an offensive set, but I find this a tad confusing tbh:

Don't have much experience using Jelli myself, but I don't think it's the best Escavalier check since every Escavalier ever runs Knock Off. I get Jelli can cripple it with WoW, but this is at the cost of its Leftovers and a solid chunk of damage. I know Jelli beats Esca one on one if it has to, but I don't think it's the best example. I could be completely wrong of course, but this was just something that bothered me.
yeah it's true that Escavalier runs Knock Off, but as you say Jellicent can ruin it with Will-o-wisp which makes the Escavalier user much more reluctant to stay in on Jelli, as in the end it's going to end up burned and Jellicent comes out fine just minus its leftovers. Of course Jellicent can't counter Escavalier in the strict sense of the word but it's still a decent check imo

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that the ev spread should have 44 speed evs to outpseed uninvested base 65 or below pokemon to taunt or attack them. Thoughts?
What does outpacing those really achive? I mean, I guess you can taunt Alomomola before it Toxics or something, but it shouldn't be staying in on you anyway. Furthermore, all other base 65s in the tier invest in speed (so you can't Will-O that banette on the turn it megas sadly :(), so it is meaningless against them all. If you want to run speed investment, may I running 84 speed to outpace and Taunt min speed Hitmontop before it can Foresight you - assuming it spun right into you without using Foresight and it chooses to stay in - or Will-O/Toxic it if there are no hazzards on the field - assuming it predicts your attack and uses Sucker Punch. However, it probably doesn't need the speed investment and it comes at the cost of a fair amount of bulk, and it often won't use said investment.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to double post, but editing is effort and the post is too different from the last anyway.

When you mention Toxic, make sure to mention that it is prefferred over Will-O-Wisp if you run Jellicent on a Stall Team as it is far better for stalling than Will-O-Wisp.

Also, Specs Jellicent is rather good imo.

I think for the SpD set, you want to use 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD w/ a Calm Nature.

It lives 2 LO Hurricane from Moltres and lives 1 Adamant LO knock off from Hitmonlee.

Also while Offensive Jellicent sounds good on paper, from personal experience, I would say it doesn't deserve more than OO, it is hardwalled by Golbat, Alomomola, Aromatisse, etc. etc., and since Jellicent has a low speed it is very prone to damage and can't really use Water spout. I guess tr/water spoint/recover but that isn't even powerful unless lo and lo + water spout sucks.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Outspeeding alomomola and taunting the toxic sounds useful as fuck to me.

Wow is way better than toxic even on stall teams, in fact toxic sucks hard on jelly. Wow+taunt+recover smashes walls anyhow, scald is never enough. Toxic is equal to wow in the first three turns vs special attackers and wow is better on the first two. What the hell is toxic for.

You know whats "better for stalling"? A pokemon incapable of actually threatening you, i.e. a burned physical attacker.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
agreeing with Tehy here that both sets should have 44 Speed evs tacked on for the some sake of Outspeeding Alomomola and Taunting it before it can Toxic you.

It also means you can recover on/burn/scald 0 Speed Sandslash if you need to =).

I'd also like to agree that Toxic should be removed as a slash and possibly placed in OO. Jellicent is a Pokemon that recieves a lot of competition as a Bulky Water-type from Slowking, who has a similar stat spread and set of resistances with an amazing ability and some extra power and coverage tacked on. Jellicent needs to take advantage of all the little things that it has over Slowking to make itself worth using, and Will-O-Wisp's reliable burning as opposed to Scald's 30% burn rate is one of them.

The same really goes for Taunt, but i'll leave it up to the rest of QC whether Shadow Ball should be removed as a slash.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It also means you can recover on/burn/scald 0 Speed Sandslash if you need to =).
Extreme nitpick here, but the official Sandslash spread that should be going on-site will have 4 Spe EVs :p

edit: Also, I feel like you should mention cleric support for Jellicent, especially since you're mentioning that it is usually on balance or stall teams. Aromatisse, Lickilicky, etc. should be on team options imo.

Might as well mention that it's a good Slowking counter especially with Toxic, since that tbh is kinda lacking in counters since most things that are supposed to counter it are either weak to Fire Blast (Grass-types) or don't exactly enjoy Scald's burn (skuntank/drapion etc) or Psyshock or something.

edit 2: not qc, just sharing thoughts!

Extreme nitpick here, but the official Sandslash spread that should be going on-site will have 4 Spe EVs :p
4 speed is 100% speed creep so its a nono but if there is a close benchmark (like gligar)investing is fine

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Overview is a little Misleading, Jellicent is not that great of a spinblocker tbqh

uhh it looks alright for the rest of it though

QC approved 1/3

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the overview needs to be toned down a bit in the writeup. Sure Jellicent has its niche and its chance to be annoying, but a lot of Pokemon that it'd check otherwise have ways around it, and the fact that it recieves so much competition from Slowking that the only real reason to use it is Taunt needs to be stressed imo.

Also remove Yanmega/Zoroark mentions ofc

QC Approved 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)