Other The effectiveness of Baton Pass teams after the nerf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a great player and I laddered from rating=1000 to top 10 in a day, with a sub-optimal team and sub-optimal plays. megascizor accomplished something similar. it's not just denissss

I still think you guys are missing the point. BATON PASS IS BAD FOR THE METAGAME, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER IT IS BROKEN.

nobody won tournaments or got to the top 10 with swagplay but we were still able to ban it, and rightly so. we agreed that option 2 was contingent on finding the right number of users to limit bp to. can we please just quick-limit it to 1, kill the cancer playstyle but still allow things like dry-pass celebi, not waste any more time, and deal with the actual broken shit rather than spending all of our time fighting cancer?

Do you think that taunt thundurus, trace Gardevoir or perish Toad are useless? They are BP threat for bad Baton passer. We are in front of a great player that solve this threats easily (watch the replays that I listed in my previous post).
For example in this test battle (I love test UU or RU pokemon and I'm testing tangela) I've beaten a bad BP using only taunt-bisharp and tangela and Taunt bisharp isn't useless against other teams
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-133687229
Of the 3 that you nentioned, the only viable Pokemon is Thundurus. Gardevoir is pretty much useless in OU except for its Mega and is hard to place in a team. Oh, I do hope you are joking when you suggest Perish Toad. Politoed is useless except in Rain Teams and being forced to use it is an example of overcentralization.

For your information,using subobtimal sets (lol Taunt Bisharp and Tangela) to beat someone who obviously doesn't know what they are doing doesn't prove the set's viability. I remember Sweep used to ladder to the top of the ladder with a freaking Stunfisk. Is Stunfisk viable then?

I am not a great player and I laddered from rating=1000 to top 10 in a day, with a sub-optimal team and sub-optimal plays. megascizor accomplished something similar. it's not just denissss

I still think you guys are missing the point. BATON PASS IS BAD FOR THE METAGAME, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER IT IS BROKEN.

nobody won tournaments or got to the top 10 with swagplay but we were still able to ban it, and rightly so. we agreed that option 2 was contingent on finding the right number of users to limit bp to. can we please just quick-limit it to 1, kill the cancer playstyle but still allow things like dry-pass celebi, not waste any more time, and deal with the actual broken shit rather than spending all of our time fighting cancer?
Here's the problem with any sort of limit on the number of BPers, scolipede will still exist, and I still believe he is broken. I have yet to see a replay showing a broken BP team that does not include scolipede.

This is the only time in my experience that an entire playstyle is getting nerfed/abolished because someone made a team designed to take advantage of a single broken mon (I wasn't around for the drizzleswim ban). If I am right and Scolipede is broken, then nothing short of banning BP as a whole or banning scolipede itself would fix that, and I am strongly against the former. If I am wrong and it is deo-s that is breaking BP, then there should be no need for any further nerfs after this suspect.

Also, care to explain why BP is inherently bad for the metagame? It is not like swagger where it takes away skill regardless of who uses it. BP hypno, for example, does not remove skill from the game. Swagger Hypno, however, does, because it forces coin flips that could lead to hypno getting a kill that it had no right to obtain. Show me a scolipede-less team that is broken and I will take calls for a blanket ban of BP more seriously, but as of now calls to ban BP are just as hopeless atm as calls to ban dragon dance.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Of the 3 that you nentioned, the only viable Pokemon is Thundurus. Gardevoir is pretty much useless in OU except for its Mega and is hard to place in a team. Oh, I do hope you are joking when you suggest Perish Toad. Politoed is useless except in Rain Teams and being forced to use it is an example of overcentralization.

For your information,using subobtimal sets (lol Taunt Bisharp and Tangela) to beat someone who obviously doesn't know what they are doing doesn't prove the set's viability. I remember Sweep used to ladder to the top of the ladder with a freaking Stunfisk. Is Stunfisk viable then?
To be totally fair, sweep is actually good at the game, and the ubers ladder is total garbage. You will literally face hyper beam lugia even in 1600s. It's heartbreaking.
You act like Taunt Mega Gardevoir is total garbage on something, its not that hard to fit on a team at all. All you really need in terms of support is a pursuit bisharp to get rid of aegislash and from there you can just nuke the shit out of everything with a hyper voice. It's perfectly viable, ridiculously powerful, and in my eyes, more viable than taunt thundurus.
Also, seeing as how rain teams are a completely valid and quite dangerous playstyle, and that a damp rock defensive politoed will be on every one of those teams, its not really that difficult to just slap perish song and forego ice beam or protect or something. yes, nobody is gonna use it outside of a rain team, but that doesn't make it complete garbage.

Here's the problem with any sort of limit on the number of BPers, scolipede will still exist, and I still believe he is broken. I have yet to see a replay showing a broken BP team that does not include scolipede.
I've also yet to see a BP team that doesn't have Espeon.

I'm sort of reminded of some arguments being used in the current suspect thread; Deo-D is not broken because the amount of support it requires is pretty big. It needs Bisharp or Thundurus to deter defog. It needs Balloon Aegiaslsh (not just any Aegislash; Balloon Aegislash) to spinblock. That's half the team dedicated to putting down and keeping down hazards, and it doesn't even work all the time since some defoggers or cores can beat Bisharp.

In the same vein, Scolipede needs Espeon to avoid phazing. All these new BP teams use Clefable to handle set-up sweepers, and that's a good idea too. Screens support allows it to more consistently work (and let's be honest, a lot of things are hard to handle with Screens.) This is an awful lot of support (two to three other pokemon required) to let one pokemon succeed.

Again, I'm really thinking that Speed Boost+Magic Bounce, the third choice in voting, on the same team would be better a better option. You don't ban BP which does have uses outside of these chains, and you don't ban Scolipede which is only broken when combined with a bunch of other pokemon. And Baton Pass becomes very susceptible to Phazing without Espeon so it doesn't auto-win against stall and defensive teams, or it has to go with lel ninjask.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've also yet to see a BP team that doesn't have Espeon.

I'm sort of reminded of some arguments being used in the current suspect thread; Deo-D is not broken because the amount of support it requires is pretty big. It needs Bisharp or Thundurus to deter defog. It needs Balloon Aegiaslsh (not just any Aegislash; Balloon Aegislash) to spinblock. That's half the team dedicated to putting down and keeping down hazards, and it doesn't even work all the time since some defoggers or cores can beat Bisharp.

In the same vein, Scolipede needs Espeon to avoid phazing. All these new BP teams use Clefable to handle set-up sweepers, and that's a good idea too. Screens support allows it to more consistently work (and let's be honest, a lot of things are hard to handle with Screens.) This is an awful lot of support (two to three other pokemon required) to let one pokemon succeed.

Again, I'm really thinking that Speed Boost+Magic Bounce, the third choice in voting, on the same team would be better a better option. You don't ban BP which does have uses outside of these chains, and you don't ban Scolipede which is only broken when combined with a bunch of other pokemon. And Baton Pass becomes very susceptible to Phazing without Espeon so it doesn't auto-win against stall and defensive teams, or it has to go with lel ninjask.
I think one of the points WebBowser is trying to make is that Scolipede is arguably broken even outside of BP due to how stupidly easy it is for it to quickpass. Also, it getting Speed Boost this gen is literally the only reason BP can beat offense/balance (so much shits on Stall right now anyway that it's pointless mentioning it).

I think one of the points WebBowser is trying to make is that Scolipede is arguably broken even outside of BP due to how stupidly easy it is for it to quickpass. Also, it getting Speed Boost this gen is literally the only reason BP can beat offense/balance (so much shits on Stall right now anyway that it's pointless mentioning it).
But if you're not running a specific few other pokemon (Espeon, Clefable) there's two very good ways of dealing with quickpassing, in phazing (Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, Heatran, ROARCHOMP) and powerful set-up sweepers (Mega Pinsir, Mawle, T-Tar, Gyarados, X-zard, Diggerysby, Mega Scizor, Manaphy, tons of others.)

Multiple self-proclaimed mediocre players are topping the ladder with a team with Scolipede/Espeon/Clefable. I legitimately do not believe they could if they were not using Scolipede and Espeon (there's other ways of dealing with set-up sweepers but Clefable is the best) on the same team.

And while a lot of things shit on stall, stall usually have answers for them (even ridiculous stuff like CM Landorus and Mega Medicham can be handled with the right pokemon.) Stall teams, even ones using Haze Quagsire, typically lose horribly to BP teams and there's really not a lot they can do about it.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Genies, top player, uses taunt bisharp but you are right, he plays against "someone who obviously doesn't know what they are doing" and so the set is not viable. For your information, I suggested perish toad because there was 3 rain teams on top 10 the last week. You are talking about Sweep, another great player as much as Denis. If stunfisk creates a good synergy with others 'mon, yes, stunfisk is viable.
We have to ban creativity and we have to use the same pokemon with same move and ability to safeguard metagame's balance! lol
Sir, no one forced you to use RU or UU pokemon or suboptimal sets, you can built a standard OU team and peak #3.
BP is viable after the nerf and maybe BP 2.0 works better than Full-BP. We can't stop brilliant players.

N.B.: now there are 6 Baton passer on the list of top 100, 1 on top 30!

This is the only time in my experience that an entire playstyle is getting nerfed/abolished because someone made a team designed to take advantage of a single broken mon (I wasn't around for the drizzleswim ban). If I am right and Scolipede is broken, then nothing short of banning BP as a whole or banning scolipede itself would fix that, and I am strongly against the former. If I am wrong and it is deo-s that is breaking BP, then there should be no need for any further nerfs after this suspect.

Also, care to explain why BP is inherently bad for the metagame? It is not like swagger where it takes away skill regardless of who uses it. BP hypno, for example, does not remove skill from the game. Swagger Hypno, however, does, because it forces coin flips that could lead to hypno getting a kill that it had no right to obtain. Show me a scolipede-less team that is broken and I will take calls for a blanket ban of BP more seriously, but as of now calls to ban BP are just as hopeless atm as calls to ban dragon dance.

BP, no matter what flavor it is, will always exacerbate the matchup-based aspect of pokemon to an absurd degree. this was true back in DPP and even RSE, before it had tools like scolipede and magic bounce espeon. like swagplay, it encourages coinflips, but with BP the coin flip takes place at the beginning of the game. you've either brought a method to beat BP or you haven't. if you have, then you can overcome even large differences in skill, and if you haven't, then the BP player can overcome even large differences in skill, and win the game. the only way a BP player wins against a prepared team is if the prepared player is garbage, and the only way an unprepared player (barring incredible luck) beats a BP player is if the BP player is garbage. This was true before scolipede existed because it is an inherent quality of this type of team. playing with or against bp teams simply isn't fun or competitive. no other playstyle brings the matchup-based part of pokemon to such an extreme.

BP, no matter what flavor it is, will always exacerbate the matchup-based aspect of pokemon to an absurd degree. this was true back in DPP and even RSE, before it had tools like scolipede and magic bounce espeon. like swagplay, it encourages coinflips, but with BP the coin flip takes place at the beginning of the game. you've either brought a method to beat BP or you haven't. if you have, then you can overcome even large differences in skill, and if you haven't, then the BP player can overcome even large differences in skill, and win the game. the only way a BP player wins against a prepared team is if the prepared player is garbage, and the only way an unprepared player (barring incredible luck) beats a BP player is if the BP player is garbage. This was true before scolipede existed because it is an inherent quality of this type of team. playing with or against bp teams simply isn't fun or competitive. no other playstyle brings the matchup-based part of pokemon to such an extreme.
What I think you're saying is that you have to prepare for BP in order to beat BP. The same can be said for any playstyle. If you aren't prepared for HO/Stall/etc., you'll lose to them.

What I think you're saying is that you have to prepare for BP in order to beat BP. The same can be said for any playstyle. If you aren't prepared for HO/Stall/etc., you'll lose to them.
Thing is, if you arent prepared for BP, the opponent has to be garbage for you to win. You can be unprepared for HO and still have a chance at winning vs a competent player.

what I'm saying is if you prepare for it, there is almost nothing the bp player can do to beat it. if you don't prepare, there is almost nothing you can do to beat it. in the other matchups you mentioned, there is more room for players to outplay each other and the player with the bad matchup often still wins. this does not happen with BP unless one of the players is very bad. you are right that team matchup influences every game with every type of team, but BP takes this to an extreme not seen in other matchups.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright so after the Nerf I've faced the. New. Baron Pass, and honestly, I have zero problems with it. I don't use random shit like Taunt/Roar Mega Gyarados, nor do I use either move at all. I simply use the team in my sig, or at least a version of it (I changed a few things). All you need to do is lead with Talonflame, which limits Deo-S to Reflect. From there, you sim switch to the mos appropriate manner of the team to deal with the chain. If Clefable comes in, well, it's GG for the BP player. Exca outspeeds her under sand, all the way up to +4. Iron Head breaks subs at +2 defense, and is a 3HKO. Even if Exca goes down, Clefable is weak enough to be cleaned by Talonflame, who should still be alive at this point.

Now, this only applies to my team, but other teams should be able to do this as well. I'm a good player, but I'm not exceedingly great. If I can beat BP, then a lot of you here should be able to as well. I was for option 2 in the suspect test as I felt BP was OP, and now it's not. Stop bitching and break the chain. It's not hard anymore.

what I'm saying is if you prepare for it, there is almost nothing the bp player can do to beat it. if you don't prepare, there is almost nothing you can do to beat it. in the other matchups you mentioned, there is more room for players to outplay each other and the player with the bad matchup often still wins. this does not happen with BP unless one of the players is very bad. you are right that team matchup influences every game with every type of team, but BP takes this to an extreme not seen in other matchups.
The way you are phrasing it, it reduces the problem to teambuilding skills. Either you prepare your team or not, is a choice and a skill, not a coinflip.

IMHO BP is an archetype that gives you a huge advantege with a low risk. That will get you a lot of easy wins because, as you said, teams are unpreprared. So yes it is an "adapt or die" kind of situation, but it's expected that the meta adapts itself. In a similar example, I get easy wins when a team is not prepared to break through the typical Stall core, and get walled to slow death by SkarmChanseyVenusaur. But just as Stall, or any other playstyle, BP is really hard to master.

Denisss team (not BP in general) is both carefully tailored, and masterfully piloted. So it's not surprise he repeatedly beats the unprepared. It gets scary when he can repeatedly beat skillful players that are well prepared even to supposedly counter BP. That means that BP it's not a team with autopilot.
WebBowser and looiiyut2 a couple of pages back, offered good arguments to show that even if you prepare your team against BP, BP can still win through skill. Then, even if you "won the coinflip" by building your team with a BP counter, BP can still get around it.

So, the questions I still see are:
- Is there really a hard counter to BP?
- Is that counter also counterable by the BP team? (Magic Bounce Espeon is the quintessential BP counter-counter. Some argue that DualScreens Deo-S is the real problem. But actually the whole team is filled with counter-counters)
- How much skill does it take to use that said hard counter succesfully? So far, it looks like way more than to use a BP team decently, so: is that healthy to the meta?
- Is the meta capable of shifting that much in a healthy way? Was the ban insufficient to make possible that the metagame balances itself?

Sergeant Spooky Thing is: Espeon doesn't need baton pass to be a good receiver of scoli's quick pass. Check out some of my replays from the last suspect test and you will see plenty of CM + morning sun espeon sweeps, pretty much only made possible with scolipede passing that crucial speed and defense. CM + morning sun espeon is not even remotely broken, as it struggles to setup in front of anything that isn't a stallmon and even stall can run something like Hippo to stop espeon from getting too far on its own. Scolipede doesn't need espeon to enable a sweeper. I have had a great deal of success with quick passing to SD megazard X, and I do not know of a single phazer who's gonna enjoy taking that +2 flare blitz or outrage.

You can find plenty of replays here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ss-read-post-590.3507765/page-21#post-5511318

As for your arguments that espeon support is breaking BP and not scolipede support, I personally disagree. For starters, as stated above, espeon doesn't even need BP to be a great recipient. Secondly, phazers, while certainly a pain, can and do get worn down over the course of the match. Once your phazer is down, all that's needed is for *insert priority user mon not named talonflame or megapinsir here* to pick up a revenge kill, scoli gets a free swap in, nabs a free iron defense, and there is nothing you can do about it at this point but hope you have something that can take out whatever comes out.

As for setup sweepers, only special setup sweepers are capable of scaring scolipede. Most physical ones are not scary. Of the ones you mentioned:

1. Mega Pinsir: granted

2. Mawle: Gets outsped and setup in front of. Is basically praying to hit either scoli or his swap in with a lucky crit.

3. T-Tar: Depends, but is usually setup bait. Some special sets can force scoli out before he gets ridiculous.

4. Gyarados: Complete and utter setup bait

5. X-zard: granted

6. Diggerysby: total setup bait

7. Mega Scizor: Laughable setup bait

8. tons of others: there is scarcely a physical mon in the game not named talonflame or zard-x that scoli cannot setup in front of.

Some supporting calcs:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 104-124 (32 - 38.2%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 152-180 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

0 SpA Mega Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 206-244 (63.5 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ SpA Mega Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 288-340 (88.8 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 127-151 (39.1 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (that's not even +2 folks)

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 87-103 (26.8 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 218-257 (67.2 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 109-130 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 93-111 (28.7 - 34.2%) -- 2.1% chance to 3HKO (and it only gets worse from there)

Just for fun:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 103-123 (31.7 - 37.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 104-124 (32 - 38.2%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 168-200 (51.8 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 242-286 (74.6 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 127-150 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If Scolipede is using some of ubers most dangerous physical sweepers as setup bait, what chance does OU have? I respect you Spooky, you are one of the best rain players I know of, but I've been researching scolipede for months, literally. I know what I'm talking about.

Stathakis I've certainly heard this argument before. I am currently working on a counter argument, but it's thunderstorming here right now and it's getting kinda dangerous for me to stay on. I'll post tomorrow.

I didn't say Scolipede+Baton Pass Espeon, just having Espeon as an option to pass to. It foils phazing attempts, even if Espeon is the end of the chain.

I didn't say Scolipede+Baton Pass Espeon, just having Espeon as an option to pass to. It foils phazing attempts, even if Espeon is the end of the chain.
Ah, oops. I misinterpreted your argument, forgive me. The problem with relying on phazers is that your phazer either A. Needs to be out before scolipede passes or B. needs to take a hit from whatever he passes to. While espeon certainly makes life easier for Scolipede, it is by no means necessary. Phazers should not be the only check to any setup sweeper, and scolipede is included here. My issue with scolipede quick passing speed and defense is that it makes the receiver basically immune to all but the strongest super effective priority hits, and the speed allows it to hit and usually kill any other would-be checks. Smash Pass cannot do this, tail pass cannot do this, not even shift gear pass or quiver pass can accomplish this feat. This is something totally unique to scolipede, and given the current state of the metagame, it's very unhealthy. If special priority had half the distribution, viability, and type coverage that physical priority has, scolipede's defense pass would be nowhere near as powerful.

As presented in my previous post, even well built OU teams cannot help but to have at least one, possibly numerous setup opportunities for scolipede, and that's bad.

Stathakis Ok, here's the flaw with your "if you don't have a check to it, you lose, therefore it's bad" argument. This argument applies to any and all setup sweepers. For any given setup sweeper, if you lack a mon who, when given a free swap in, can force out the setup sweeper in question, you will lose if that sweeper gets a free turn to setup, simple as that. This applies to everything from geoherb Xerenas to NP Hypno. Yet, Xerenas is Uber, while NP Hypno is laughable even in NU, let alone OU. Why is this? Because you would have to try very hard to build an OU team that was that Hypno weak, whereas for Xernas you better have either a heatran or scizor or else you will get swept, and even those two mons are no garuntee. Therefore, the viability and number of checks to any given setup sweeper in any given tier is key to any arguments of brokenness. If we increase the number of viable checks to BP (perhaps by taking away the guy who uses every priority mon not named talonflame or pinsir as setup bait), then BP will become balanced. Later tonight, if you'd like, I can offer an analysis on options different playstyles have against BP once scoli is removed. The reason why BP was OP was not because it was uncheckable, but because the checks in question were quite limited to abusing powerful, possibly overpowered in their own right, offensive mons, and even that was easily punished (granted, HO is easily punished for mistakes in general, they very rarely can afford a misplay against any team). Also, the ability to make a sweeper essentially unrevengable as stated above is a huge problem.

Swagger was overpowered because it basically had no counters. Even things that were supposed to have a positive matchup were very frequently overcame with sheer force of hax. BP does not have that same inherit power. BP is not overpowered in ubers like swagplay was, because it's checks are far more numerous. This leads me to believe that BP's overpoweredness is just that, a balance issue, not that there's anything inherently uncompetitive about it.

I'm just not seeing it. Plenty of replays have been posted on this thread showing teams beating new-bp without dedicated counters. Are you guys just ignoring those?

My issue with scolipede quick passing speed and defense is that it makes the receiver basically immune to all but the strongest super effective priority hits, and the speed allows it to hit and usually kill any other would-be checks. Smash Pass cannot do this, tail pass cannot do this, not even shift gear pass or quiver pass can accomplish this feat. This is something totally unique to scolipede, and given the current state of the metagame, it's very unhealthy. If special priority had half the distribution, viability, and type coverage that physical priority has, scolipede's defense pass would be nowhere near as powerful.
Priority moves aren't the only moves in existence and I don't see much relevancy here to be honest. Priority moves are meant to be inherently weak for starters and are generally meant for finishing things off, not outright killing things, which is what needs to be done here. Scolipede as a defense quick-passer still has an inherent flaw in that it's checked by a lot of special attackers, and even if they come in as it boosts, the recipient still has to take a powerful special hit before it can do anything. I've laddered a lot with this kind of team as you know, and it never ceases to amaze me how many players fail to understand the simple concept of using their special attackers to start with, instead of defying common sense and trying to beat a defense boosting pokemon with a physical attacker. If you lead with your special attacker first, they can't grab a defense boost without risking being outright KO'd. When they are forced to pass after a few sub+protects, THEN go into your physical attacker and harass the living hell out of the recipient.

Also, being passed speed + defense doesn't necessarily make that mon an immediate offensive threat; Espeon and Clefable are weak as anything without a couple of CM boosts, which differentiates the concept from Smash Passing which generates immediate threats that give you little time to act after the pass, so it's not as if one is strictly better than the other.

Priority moves aren't the only moves in existence and I don't see much relevancy here to be honest. Priority moves are meant to be inherently weak for starters and are generally meant for finishing things off, not outright killing things, which is what needs to be done here. Scolipede as a defense quick-passer still has an inherent flaw in that it's checked by a lot of special attackers, and even if they come in as it boosts, the recipient still has to take a powerful special hit before it can do anything. I've laddered a lot with this kind of team as you know, and it never ceases to amaze me how many players fail to understand the simple concept of using their special attackers to start with, instead of defying common sense and trying to beat a defense boosting pokemon with a physical attacker. If you lead with your special attacker first, they can't grab a defense boost without risking being outright KO'd. When they are forced to pass after a few sub+protects, THEN go into your physical attacker and harass the living hell out of the recipient.

Also, being passed speed + defense doesn't necessarily make that mon an immediate offensive threat; Espeon and Clefable are weak as anything without a couple of CM boosts, which differentiates the concept from Smash Passing which generates immediate threats that give you little time to act after the pass, so it's not as if one is strictly better than the other.
Agreed that priority moves are not the only ones in existence, but here's why they are so important: When you have a threat with a speed boost and an offensive boost, priority is frequently the only option left to prevent teams from getting swept. Espeon and clefable are hardly the only things to pass to either. In fact, my recipient of choice is SD bulkyzard X. As you probably know, Zard-X is incredibly threatening at +2 attack, very few things can take even one hit from that monster. With a speed boost, he cannot be outsped, and there does not exist any super effective priority either. At that point, you are either banking on a crit or that I kill myself.

Also, while I have also seen plenty of players defy common sense and attempt to attack scoli with a physical attacker, I have also had scolipede come in on a revenge kill from something like a bisharp or a dragonite, and once that happens, there is literally nothing the opponent can do to stop me from getting to +2 defense, the best he can do is send out his hopefully still alive special threat. At that point, literally all I need is something that is capable of swapping into whatever special mon you send out and beat it 1v1 and I get to sweep. Given the relatively few good special mons in OU, this isn't terribly hard unless it's something like aegi or lando, and even then I have ways of getting around them. Sadly I didn't save any replays of exactly this happening (after multiple hundreds of battles, it's really hard to know which ones are helpful, ya know?).

As long as you pass to a threat that can take a couple of hits from the mon that is out and has a setup move of it's own, there is very little that your opponent can do to stop the incoming sweep.

*edit*

TIZNE I meant to reply to your post and then kind of forgot. Lemme remedy that real quick by answering your questions.

"Is BP really that hard to counter?": That's the million dollar question right here, as you can clearly see in this post and the above post. Obviously, there is no real consensus on this one. I do think that if BP is overpowered, the root cause probably lies with scolipede.

"Is that counter also counterable?": IMHO, the answer is usually yes. Scolipede itself has very few "counters" or mons that can swap into a full hp scoli as he uses iron defense and prevent him from passing out. You either need a significant amount of prior damage + a priority user, prankster taunt with mental herb gone, or an already evolved megazam. That being said, the point that jbtc10 brought up, and we are currently debating now, is that if you bring in a strong special attacker like aegislash, you can hit the swap in hard and stop him from setting up his offensive stat of choice and sweeping. As stated above, I have my doubts on this argument because that would require that the enemy team not have a swap in for whatever strong special mon that is sent out, if they do, then the enemy team is in all likelihood boned.

"How much skill does it take to use that hard counter?": Actually, that's not bad. It's more along the lines that there are either prereqs that need to be met for said counter to work or for you to be running megazam. That being said, scoli is much easier to check and counterlead then he is to outright stop, but that's not saying much.

"Is the meta capable of shifting in a positive way? Is this ban sufficient?": Way too early to call imo. As I stated waaaaaaaay back in the beginning of the thread, I think we should suspect other stuff and figure out how many of these special theats that check scoli aren't broken themselves (looking at you thundy). As stated before though, I believe that if there is still a problem with BP, the problem lies with scolipede.

Last edited:
WebBowser, you're missing the point. What Stathakis is saying is that Baton Pass exacerbates team matchup to the point where the only way to not straight up lose to it is by carrying "counters" and that means Taunt on random things, Haze, etc. If you don't, you lose and there is little you can do about it.

You mentioned not having a counter for a setup sweeper will cause you to lose, but that's not always the case. You can make a team and be weak to Rock Polish Landorus, but you can still outplay your opponent and not lose that game. You can make sure it doesn't setup, not giving it room to setup or even coming in freely, not leaving in certain Pokemon that Landorus can take advantage of, etc. Baton Pass doesn't allow that to happen. When you see Baton Pass, that game has been decided at team preview. There is no outplaying and winning. You either have the ways to shut it down from the start and you win because of that or you get lucky and win. That's why it's unhealthy.

I'm sure someone will say that you can apply this every playstyle, but not being fully prepared against say HO, Stall etc but those games are still winnable if you play well. I've seen a number of games in tournaments where the on player had a poor matchup and still won because they outplayed the opponent. Baton Pass throws the whole aspect of being the better player and seeing which plays better out the window. The baton pass use doesn't have to make any real predictions or a true gameplan. You just follow a formula and you will win more often than not.

I honestly don't care for Baton Pass since I don't really ladder as much anymore and on the verge of quitting this game, but people in this thread don't understand the issue with here at all. Plus it's not even prioritized higher than things I would prefer to see banned before this is looked at again, if it comes down to it.

Bottom line - It's not that it's unbeatable, it's the fact that if you aren't fully prepared for it you can't outplay the other player and win. It stresses team matchup even more than what already happens in this current meta. That is the problem here and that's what Stathakis has been saying over and over again. There really isn't much else to it.

Edit: Also, I'm not going to posting here again unless I really have to. I'm with Stathakis here when he says he won't be facing it but that doesn't mean we can crusade against it. I'm perfectly fine with not playing on the ladder (which is already the case) and moving to only playing in tournaments. I've said what needs to be said, and won't continue to argue on something that I don't face and won't be facing.

Last edited:
thank you for putting into words the idea i have been struggling to get across for some time, Subject 18

WebBowser , you say that unprepared people lose to set-up sweepers. a quick look at the tournament archive shows that this is not the case, that unprepared people can still play around them to a degree and often still win. yes, set-up sweepers do add an element of team matchup at a manageable level.

now, take that set-up sweeper and give it 16 moves and 4 different typings, abilities, and stat spreads. I think we can both agree that this set-up sweeper probably exacerbates the team-matchup aspect to an unacceptable level in theory. in practice, based on the 150 games i played with baton pass, I would say this theory is confirmed. that's the difference.

I'd like to also add that due to the incredible investment it takes to have a functioning baton pass team (there is no room on your team for anything else), that if the non-BP player has a proper answer to BP, the BP player cannot outplay his opponent and win, unless the opponent is garbage. So, the converse of the team matchup exacerbation is also true. you are basically using a 4-pokemon super set-up sweeper when you use BP, and due to the massive investment if your opponent beats it you absolutely lose, but if he doesn't have an answer he absolutely loses due to the sheer power. it is the degree to which BP takes this aspect of pokemon that makes it bad. 1 or even 4 standalone set-up sweepers function completely differently, as they are a much smaller investment on the user's side and offer the opponent much more room to outplay. the scale of BP prohibits any outplaying.

I will close by saying this is my last post in this thread. frankly, idgaf about what happens to BP. I know that I will never face it in a tournament unless my name is blarajan and my opponent's name is valentine, and the only time I ever played on the XY ladder was to show how stupid BP was in the first place. so, have fun guys. I think you can probably quick-limit this or ban bp on scolipede / espeon (i.e. option 3) without a suspect test to not lose anymore time on it, and nobody will probably care or be mad, but that's just one man's opinion. given that I will never face BP in an important game, I gain nothing from crusading further against it. have fun with your cancer-infested ladder; I will play happily in tournaments or not at all.

Last edited:

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
WebBowser, I think highly of you. You are trying to solve this "problem" unlike other players. They only said "BP is cheap and lame, BP is stupid, BP is a cancer". There are some players that ask to Denis to live smogon because he is a cancer and a loser! But, Who are the losers?
Great players like Lil Manaphy find a solution and now her team works against each playstyle. She is #1.
IMO this is crusade against a brilliant player and not against a playstyle. Without Denis there would not be BP chain or semi chain at high level. He tooks an old playstyle and he built an amazing new version but only few guys acknowledge be opposite to an exatrordinary man.
I know, it's easy avoid the problem.

Agreed that priority moves are not the only ones in existence, but here's why they are so important: When you have a threat with a speed boost and an offensive boost, priority is frequently the only option left to prevent teams from getting swept.
Thundurus-I's prankster T-Wave is one of the most common methods employed by offense to deal with fast sweepers, and your Charizard-X would be getting easily stopped in its tracks no matter how much speed and defense he had. Also, every playstyle has a flaw, and if an offense team has been designed such that weak priority moves are all it has to try and stop being swept by any fast sweeper, why should anyone feel sorry for them if it happens?

Espeon and clefable are hardly the only things to pass to either. In fact, my recipient of choice is SD bulkyzard X. As you probably know, Zard-X is incredibly threatening at +2 attack, very few things can take even one hit from that monster. With a speed boost, he cannot be outsped, and there does not exist any super effective priority either. At that point, you are either banking on a crit or that I kill myself.
This would only be the case if it's somehow assumed that Zard-X has been freely given +2 Defense, speed and attack while the opponent stood idly by and did nothing. It's not as easy as it sounds to do this against a competent player with a strong team. What if they send in something like a specs Keldeo as Scoli boosts his defense? Then Zard won't be going anywhere, and neither will most of your other recipients as they all have to eat an exceptionally powerful attack or 2 before they can do anything further. That's the annoying part about using Quick pass Scoli, any smart player can just immediately send in a powerful special attacker to potentially throw a very simple spanner in the works.

Also, while I have also seen plenty of players defy common sense and attempt to attack scoli with a physical attacker, I have also had scolipede come in on a revenge kill from something like a bisharp or a dragonite, and once that happens, there is literally nothing the opponent can do to stop me from getting to +2 defense, the best he can do is send out his hopefully still alive special threat. At that point, literally all I need is something that is capable of swapping into whatever special mon you send out and beat it 1v1 and I get to sweep. Given the relatively few good special mons in OU, this isn't terribly hard unless it's something like aegi or lando, and even then I have ways of getting around them.
Hopefully still alive? And only having 1 special attacker? Seems like wishful thinking to me. Why would the special attacker be gone if any smart player would use it to stop Scoli's defense passing from being that effective? There are also lots of good special attackers in OU and every offense team will have at least 2; Thundurus-I, Landorus-I, Aegislash, Deoxys-S (4 S-ranks there), Keldeo, Charizard-Y, Latios, Greninja, and the list goes on. All of those check Scoli and prevent being it from able to set-up, and a handful of them can also "soft counter" it by dealing huge damage to almost any recipient Scoli would pass into.

Quick-pass Scoli is fun and very effective at times, but saying it's a broken concept is going overboard imo. Personally, I'm just glad that an alternate playstyle like this even exists in the first place so that players actually have the option of deviating from the usual, monotonous Offense and Stall nature of the game. Defensive Quickpass and 3-BP is somewhat different from how the game is normally played (although it's still closely related to set-up sweepers in general) and that in itself seems to be the main thing that rustles peoples jimmies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)