Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

when is weakness policy useful? I was trying to play it with a simple bibarel, but bibarel has virtually no bulk at all and when they meet up with a fighting type they never survive anyways.

when is weakness policy useful? I was trying to play it with a simple bibarel, but bibarel has virtually no bulk at all and when they meet up with a fighting type they never survive anyways.
There are no good users of Weakness Policy I can think of in NU. The problem with Weakness Policy is that it relies on the opponent hitting you super effectively, which in general just makes normal setup a much more consistent option. I really don't think any Pokemon has the bulk and the power to pull it off effectively.

In the higher tier, Solid Rock + Rock Polish Rhyperior is fun. Dragonite can also use it decently well, though I've personally always preferred Lum Berry.

The one Weakness Policy user that I've found to be cool is Endure + Acrobatics Drifblim. Endure + Unburden + Weakness Policy gives you a what is essentially a Shell Smash boost, and it can clean up a lot of teams late game. It isnt amazing, because it is completely reliant on getting hit by a super effective move to sweep, so if the opponent can predict your set you will be in a tough position, but its one of the few Weakness Policy users in NU that I think are worth mentioning

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Zeb smashed me with a WP Golem early on in NU Alpha so I imagine it'd work pretty ok (Rock Polish + Sucker Punch + Sturdy). Also I messed around with Shell Smash WP Carracosta, which was also pretty neat.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The one Weakness Policy user that I've found to be cool is Endure + Acrobatics Drifblim. Endure + Unburden + Weakness Policy gives you a what is essentially a Shell Smash boost, and it can clean up a lot of teams late game. It isnt amazing, because it is completely reliant on getting hit by a super effective move to sweep, so if the opponent can predict your set you will be in a tough position, but its one of the few Weakness Policy users in NU that I think are worth mentioning
One thing to throw onto the unburden driffy is Destiny Bond. If you throw this on the set after getting hit by the SE move and are on your way to sweep there is always the small matter of sucker punch. If they bring in something that is clearly going to sucker punch you can destiny bond first to scout then attack next turn and take them down with you or kill them and go on with the sweep. Or if you know the pokemon that came in is to bulky for you to kill you can D-bond and take down another pokemon. (ofc this loses to priority like bullet punch)
There are no good users of Weakness Policy I can think of in NU. The problem with Weakness Policy is that it relies on the opponent hitting you super effectively, which in general just makes normal setup a much more consistent option. I really don't think any Pokemon has the bulk and the power to pull it off effectively.

In the higher tier, Solid Rock + Rock Polish Rhyperior is fun. Dragonite can also use it decently well, though I've personally always preferred Lum Berry.
The one pokemon which isnt getting a lot of attention is solid rock carrocosta. You can shell smash on the SE move and then proceed to sweep at +2 speed and +4 attack. You also have access to Aqua Jet which allows for priority against pokemon who are still faster or are going to sucker punch. (you can also run sturdy on this set, but i like solid rock better)

WP carracosta is honestly still pretty outclassed by barbaracle just because basically all common scarfers outspeed it. Idk if I'd use it over barba unless I was really scared of missing razor shell.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
One thing to note is that Carracosta is the only of the smashers not fearing an encore if it runs jolly, because AJ outspeed every prankster user in NU. Barbaracle, Omastar and Gorebyss all miss priority to use for this, so it's fairly important to note. It still gets encored into AJ if Liepard is at full health of course, but then it did something at least.

WP carracosta is honestly still pretty outclassed by barbaracle just because basically all common scarfers outspeed it. Idk if I'd use it over barba unless I was really scared of missing razor shell.
Aqua Jet is OP at +4 js. You honestly won't be fearing outspeeds because a +4 [even jolly] AJet tears through offensive teams like a hot knife through butter, especially if hazards are up.

Why exactly has Kangashkan lost a lot of it's viability from last gen? It still possesses the same redeeming qualities that made it S/A+ rank last gen...

Why exactly has Kangashkan lost a lot of it's viability from last gen? It still possesses the same redeeming qualities that made it S/A+ rank last gen...

Kangaskhan is still a great priority user in the tier, but it's far from the best this gen with the likes of Feraligatr and Hariyama now being in the tier. Zangoose and Swellow are both more versatile than Kangaskhan, but Kanga's main niche was the Fake Out and Sucker Punch combo, but Hariyama can do the double priority role even better, plus Feraligatr can use priority Aqua Jet with Swords Dance boosts as well. Kang's reason to being B- this gen is because of the description of the B tier. There's Pokes in the upper ranks that outclass it. In BW, nothing could do the double priority job like Kangaskhan.

In addition the plethora of ghost types in the tier such as spiritomb have not been very kind to khan as even though it has crunch spiritomb can fight back with a burn or just trick you a band and being locked into a move is not fun for kang especially when relying on fake out for chip damage.
Edit: has scrappy lol just bad job on my part.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kangaskhan is still a great priority user in the tier, but it's far from the best this gen with the likes of Feraligatr and Hariyama now being in the tier. Zangoose and Swellow are both more versatile than Kangaskhan, but Kanga's main niche was the Fake Out and Sucker Punch combo, but Hariyama can do the double priority role even better, plus Feraligatr can use priority Aqua Jet with Swords Dance boosts as well. Kang's reason to being B- this gen is because of the description of the B tier. There's Pokes in the upper ranks that outclass it. In BW, nothing could do the double priority job like Kangaskhan.
Just saying but I don't think anything necessarily ~outclasses~ Kangaskhan per se--Swellow and Zangoose have completely different roles, and Kanga does the double priority role far better than Hariyama (with the latter lacking Scrappy and its moves being much weaker in general). I agree, though, that the abundance of priority in general is primarily what set it back this gen, since the prominence of Pokémon like Fletch, Liepard, Shiftry, Gatr, etc make a dedicated priority abuser less useful on most teams.

Also Seismitoad Kanga has Scrappy so it really only cares about Ghosts as much as the next guy .-.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
In addition the plethora of ghost types in the tier such as spiritomb have not been very kind to khan as even though it has crunch spiritomb can fight back with a burn or just trick you a band and being locked into a move is not fun for kang especially when relying on fake out for chip damage.
Let's not forget Khan was the scrappy user in gen 5 NU, so ghosts wasn't the problem then and frankly isn't much now either.

I'd rather point towards the base 90 speed khan holds became slightly less useful in the transition to XY (although that might change now that sigilyph got booted), the competition it receives from other priority users like Hyunation said and the overall addition of more steel types forcing khan to rely on the rather weak coverage move it runs. Hyu forgot to mention Kecleon though, while currently not getting massive usage actually spam priority better than khan does.

Magneton as it is faster, bulkier if you run eviolite, and hits harder.
Still isn't bulkier if you run eviolite. The following are Magneton and Probopass's stats with fully invested HP and standard defenses.

Magneton:
304 HP / 339 Def / 264 SDef
Probopass:
324 HP / 326 Def / 336 SDef

The difference in physical bulk is basically covered by the difference in HP, but the difference in SDef is very significant, meaning that overall Probopass is still much bulkier and can carry recovery. This siad I agree that Magneton does its job quite well.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why is Meowstic-M so much better in RU than NU? It's weird to see an NU Pokemon B ranked in RU but C- in NU. I understand Miltank, because in RU it handles Delphox superbly, but it doesn't seem like there's enough of a difference in what Meowstic does between the tiers.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Meowstic-M so much better in RU than NU? It's weird to see an NU Pokemon B ranked in RU but C- in NU. I understand Miltank, because in RU it handles Delphox superbly, but it doesn't seem like there's enough of a difference in what Meowstic does between the tiers.
Well some NU pokemon tend to do better in a higher tier (but not enough to move up). For instance Shuckle was manageable in NU due to the fact that there were plenty of viable defoggers and spinners. But now in RU it is getting suspect tested (and will hopefully soon be banned). I havent really seen meowstic at all in RU, or in NU for that matter. But it probably is able to provide better support in RU than it does in NU hence the B to C difference. Some people recommended the bump up Silvershadow234 i believe. And no one has recommended it in NU.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)