Gen 5 General Ubers Generation 5 Discussion

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ubers
Generation
Five

Welcome to the general Generation 5 Ubers thread! This Generation actually has a lot of similarities with Generation 6, so getting into this metagame actually isn't too jarring for you new guys. That being said, there are still some significant changes, so read this post to know what's different!

Before you get started, here's a link to the old Generation 5 Ubers forum. It's dead now, but it's nice to look at some Ubers history!

Special thanks to:

Goddess Briyella for grammar checking these threads!
Fusxfaranto for compiling the Pokémon, Move, Ability, and Item lists!

Pokémon, Moves, Items, and Abilities that don't exist in this Generation

In the hide tags below are the Pokémon, Moves, Items, and Abilities and that did NOT exist in this generation. Use the find function on your computer to make things easier!

Aegislash
Amaura
Aromatisse
Aurorus
Avalugg
Barbaracle
Bergmite
Binacle
Braixen
Bunnelby
Carbink
Chesnaught
Chespin
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Dedenne
Delphox
Diancie
Diggersby
Doublade
Dragalge
Espurr
Fennekin
Flabebe
Fletchinder
Fletchling
Floette
Florges
Froakie
Frogadier
Furfrou
Gogoat
Goodra
Goomy
Gourgeist
Greninja
Hawlucha
Heliolisk
Helioptile
Honedge
Inkay
Klefki
Litleo
Malamar
Meowstic
Noibat
Noivern
Pancham
Pangoro
Phantump
Pumpkaboo
Pyroar
Quilladin
Scatterbug
Skiddo
Skrelp
Sliggoo
Slurpuff
Spewpa
Spritzee
Swirlix
Sylveon
Talonflame
Trevenant
Tyrantrum
Tyrunt
Vivillon
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde

Aromatic Mist
Baby-Doll Eyes
Belch
Boomburst
Celebrate
Confide
Crafty Shield
Dazzling Gleam
Diamond Storm
Disarming Voice
Draining Kiss
Eerie Impulse
Electric Terrain
Electrify
Fairy Lock
Fairy Wind
Fell Stinger
Flower Shield
Flying Press
Forest's Curse
Freeze-Dry
Geomancy
Grassy Terrain
Happy Hour
Hold Back
Infestation
Ion Deluge
King's Shield
Land's Wrath
Magnetic Flux
Mat Block
Misty Terrain
Moonblast
Mystical Fire
Noble Roar
Nuzzle
Oblivion Wing
Parabolic Charge
Parting Shot
Petal Blizzard
Phantom Force
Play Nice
Play Rough
Powder
Power-Up Punch
Rototiller
Spiky Shield
Sticky Web
Topsy-Turvy
Trick-Or-Treat
Venom Drench
Water Shuriken

Aerilate
Aroma Veil
Aura Break
Bulletproof
Cheek Pouch
Competitive
Dark Aura
Fairy Aura
Flower Veil
Fur Coat
Gale Wings
Gooey
Grass Pelt
Magician
Mega Launcher
Parental Bond
Pixilate
Protean
Refrigerate
Stance Change
Strong Jaw
Sweet Veil
Symbiosis
Tough Claws

Assault Vest
Luminous Moss
Pixie Plate
Safety Goggles
Snowball
Weakness Policy

Typing changes

Since the Fairy type was introduced in Generation 6, this means that Dragons run really rampant in Generation 5! Steel also resists Ghost- and Dark-type moves in this generation.

Weather is permanent

Weather was nerfed in Generation 6, but not so in this metagame! Kyogre, Groudon, Tyranitar, and to a much lesser extent, Abomasnow are all present in this metagame, meaning that you will have to prepare for all kinds of permanent weather! Expect to see weather abusers such as Excadrill and Kabutops along the ride as well!

The hazards factor and the lack of Defog

Defog didn't get rid of the opponent's hazards in Generation 5. This, combined with the power of Rapid Spin blockers, and hazard setters like Deoxys-S and Ferrothorn, means that hazards are far more difficult to get rid of. That's not to say they're impossible to get rid of, but every team has to take hazards into account! One more thing to note: Sticky Web wasn't introduced until Generation 6.

Sleep Mechanics

In Generation 5, the Sleep counter resets every time you switch. This makes Darkrai MUCH nastier to face!

Other Move and Ability changes

Critical Hits: Unfortunately, Critical Hits do DOUBLE damage this generation, not 1.5x.

Various special moves: Generation 6 nerfed the power of a lot of special moves, such as Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Surf, Thunder, Aura Sphere etc. These moves are more powerful this Gen!

Shadow Tag: This traps Ghost-types in Gen 5, which is particularly relevant for trapping Giratina as Wobbuffet. Also, Wobbuffet and Gothitelle are your only choice for Shadow Taggers this Gen! Shadow Tag Chandelure was never released (much to Theorymon's disappointment).

Paralysis: Unlike in Generation 6, paralysis status DOES effect Electric-types.

Knock Off: This move is always 20 BP in this generation.

Sound moves: These moves no longer ignore Substitutes.

Mean Look: In this generation, Mean Look traps Ghost-types.

Oblivious: This ability is not immune to Taunt this generation.

Powder moves: These moves effect Grass-types and Pokémon with Overcoat this generation.

Last edited:
Also, don't forget that Grass-types are affected by Powder-based moves in Gen 5, like Spore and PoisonPowder (They still can't be seeded with Leech Seed, though).
Overcoat doesn't stop Powder moves either, and Oblivious Pokémon are still affected by Taunt.

To me, this Generation really helped the metagame as a whole earn some attention (probably because it didn't have one of the worst brutal slowdowns of all time, riiiiiiiight Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES?)! Hell, Moody was SO broken that it officially became a universal Clause!!! 0_o

I hear that this Generation had the worst overall Pokémon designs, but the new Pokémon in terms of viability were really viable! ^v^ Remember guys: No Fairy-types + No Sp. Atk nerf = GG Hydreigon.

To me, this Generation really helped the metagame as a whole earn some attention (probably because it didn't have one of the worst brutal slowdowns of all time, riiiiiiiight Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES?)! Hell, Moody was SO broken that it officially became a universal Clause!!! 0_o

I hear that this Generation had the worst overall Pokémon designs, but the new Pokémon in terms of viability were really viable! ^v^ Remember guys: No Fairy-types + No Sp. Atk nerf = GG Hydreigon.
Hydreigon is viable? O.0

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hydreigon is viable? O.0
Not particularly. A few of us tried it early in gen 5, because we figured "Woah, a choiced Dragon that's immune to Wobbuffet and can U-turn? thats cool!". However, Wobbuffet, while still very usable, had quite a reduced presence in gen 5 compared to gen 4, and U-turn didn't really make up for how much weaker Hydreigon was compared to the other Uber Dragons (ESPECIALLY when compared to Latias and Latios when B2W2 came out). I think user Faint swore by it though, so maybe he can chime in :P. Still though, every time I tested out Hydreigon, I was underwhelmed to say the least! I think the only thing besides U-turn that I liked about Hydreigon over the other Uber dragons was... well I guess resisting Pursuit was sorta cool... lol

Not particularly. A few of us tried it early in gen 5, because we figured "Woah, a choiced Dragon that's immune to Wobbuffet and can U-turn? thats cool!". However, Wobbuffet, while still very usable, had quite a reduced presence in gen 5 compared to gen 4, and U-turn didn't really make up for how much weaker Hydreigon was compared to the other Uber Dragons (ESPECIALLY when compared to Latias and Latios when B2W2 came out). I think user Faint swore by it though, so maybe he can chime in :P. Still though, every time I tested out Hydreigon, I was underwhelmed to say the least! I think the only thing besides U-turn that I liked about Hydreigon over the other Uber dragons was... well I guess resisting Pursuit was sorta cool... lol
I meant viable in OU (sorry if I'm going off-tier here).

Hydreigon is viable? O.0
Yep, as Tmon mentioned I've used it before. In many ways it is outclassed by Palkia, but U-Turn is a cool move for momentum on a HO team. You can find the set I ran at the link below. Keep in mind Head Smash is a solid move as well and can be used over something like Dark Pulse or Fire Blast (but STAB Dark is nice and FBlast gives nice coverage)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/project-ubers-2-0.3466707/#post-4250321

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/research-week-mk-ii-back-in-black.3477379/

Last edited:
Hydreigon was nice for switching into Psystrike and scaring Mewtwo away, as well as packing U-Turn and being immune to Mirror Coat from Wobbuffet but Palkia could switch into Kyogre and had better power, speed, bulk. Overall, I think Hydreigon was actually pretty good but outclassed by other Ubers dragons.

On to the question I wanted answered, what did a standard BW2 Ubers stall team look like? I have my own build but I wanted to compare to other, more experienced Ubers players. My build included Wallceus, Lugia, phys Def Ho-Oh, Ferrothorn, spec Def Giratina, Excadrill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)