Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

Give us a fucking option to disable move "gains" in the daycare. It's annoying as fuck. If things can't evolve in the daycare via level-up, then why should the Pokemon forget moves without my input?

It's bad enough Wi-Fi traders want a million useless egg moves on things, I have to spend a bunch of time and Heart Scales relearning all the egg moves every single time I want to breed something. At least they gave you the option to relearn egg moves this gen, I'm thankful for that.
Just yes.
Personally, I tend to do one of the following:
1) Get the parent to a high enough level so it doesn't matter (which isn't always an option, I know).
2) Keep one of the many offspring produced for future egg moves.
But I would much rather being able to turn that function off.

The profanity filter is just plain sickening like hell. I've read that a lot of people have problems when it comes to nicknaming. I mean, seriously, it causes nearly every nickname, like "Viola, "Violet", "Spicy", "Cofagrigus", "Nosepass", etc. blacklisted. I honestly suggest that it should be removed, since people can freely nickname their own Pokemon anything they want, and the filter is broken. It's a fucking disgrace that it ruins the experience of many players.

Don't get me wrong, however. I don't nickname my Pokemon with inappropriate nicknames, but the censor filter, as I said, is absolutely broken. Ah well, I hope GameFreak knows about this problem and either issues a patch fixing this problem in Pokemon XY, and should not repeat this mistake in the future games.

The profanity filter is just plain sickening like hell. I've read that a lot of people have problems when it comes to nicknaming. I mean, seriously, it causes nearly every nickname, like "Viola, "Violet", "Spicy", "Cofagrigus", "Nosepass", etc. blacklisted. I honestly suggest that it should be removed, since people can freely nickname their own Pokemon anything they want, and the filter is broken. It's a fucking disgrace that it ruins the experience of many players.

Don't get me wrong, however. I don't nickname my Pokemon with inappropriate nicknames, but the censor filter, as I said, is absolutely broken. Ah well, I hope GameFreak knows about this problem and either issues a patch fixing this problem in Pokemon XY, and should not repeat this mistake in the future games.
I just want to name my Skarmory Penelope, dammit. Is it really such a problem that "Pene" means "Penis" in another language?

I just want to name my Skarmory Penelope, dammit. Is it really such a problem that "Pene" means "Penis" in another language?
Yes. "Pene" means "Penis" in Italian. Damn, I hope the censor filter will be absent in Pokemon Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, and the Generation VII games in the future.

In addition, I do not get the point why Nintendo releases certain Legendary Pokemon as event-only Pokemon. For the love of god, I really want a Jirachi and a Victini. I want to complete my Pokedex. If you don't get the event Pokemon on time (and I assume that this is true to a lot of players), it would be nearly impossible to complete the National Pokedex without cheating.

EDIT: Also, I apologize for the deletion of the earlier post.

Last edited:
Yes. "Pene" means "Penis" in Italian. Damn, I hope the censor filter will be absent in Pokemon Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, and the Generation VII games in the future.

In addition, I do not get the point why Nintendo releases certain Legendary Pokemon as event-only Pokemon. For the love of god, I really want a Jirachi and a Victini. I want to complete my Pokedex. If you don't get the event Pokemon on time (and I assume that this is true to a lot of players), it would be nearly impossible to complete the National Pokedex without cheating.

EDIT: Also, I apologize for the deletion of the earlier post.
Well technically the event pokemon are just bonus pokemon. You dont need them to get the certificate

Well technically the event pokemon are just bonus pokemon. You dont need them to get the certificate
But it doesn't really feel complete with those holes in it. Personally, I was lucky that I got Platinum when I did so I was able to get every event legendary legally before the end of the Generation (I got my last one, Celebi, one week before Black and White came out).

Without Jirachi and Victini, it doesn't literally feel "complete". Jirachi and Victini were my favorite legendary Pokemon, personally. It's such a shame that I only started to "actually" play the main series games since May 2013.

EDIT: Also, here is something that needs reworking...
I forgot to mention that the AI in the games are terrible and quite idiotic that even a six-year old kid can beat it. For instance,
  • What's the use for spamming Stat-changing moves if you aren't even going to smash the opponent?
  • Mud Sport? Water Sport? Meh.
  • Okay, Helping Hand is quite terrible too. Helping Hand only works on the ally during Double/Triple battles.
  • Trainers just randomly select any move like crazy. They don't even care about the type-effectiveness mechanism. I wouldn't be surprised if a Machamp uses Mach Punch on my Dusknoir. Or a Hydreigon using Draco Meteor on a Sylveon.
  • And the list continues....
Also, EASY MODE is useless, as the game is already too easy to beat. Anyways, you get the point.

Last edited:
Another thing that I find unnecessary is the home-building feature of Pokémon-Amie. It just seems like something useless that was tacked on to make Pokémon-Amie seem interesting when you're viewing it on the touch screen but not in use. Its accessories are just used to 'reward' the player for doing well in Pokémon-Amie.

However, instead of being removed, they could be improved: one major problem with them is that players can't visit each other's 'homes.' Fortunately, ORAS should remedy this by using Secret Bases once again.

Without Jirachi and Victini, it doesn't literally feel "complete". Jirachi and Victini were my favorite legendary Pokemon, personally. It's such a shame that I only started to "actually" play the main series games since May 2013.

I forgot to mention that the AI in the games are terrible and quite idiotic that even a six-year old kid can beat it. For instance,
  • What's the use for spamming Stat-changing moves if you aren't even going to smash the opponent?
  • Okay, Helping Hand is quite terrible too. Helping Hand only works on the ally during Double/Triple battles.
  • Trainers just randomly select any move like crazy. They don't even care about the type-effectiveness mechanism. I wouldn't be surprised if a Machamp uses Mach Punch on my Dusknoir. Or a Hydreigon using Draco Meteor on a Sylveon.
Also, EASY MODE is useless, as the game is already too easy to beat. Anyways, you get the point.
Agreed. I mean, just look at Twitch Play Pokémon. They're still going strong into Generation V. We need a return of hard mode from Black 2/White 2.

Another thing that I find unnecessary is the home-building feature of Pokémon-Amie. It just seems like something useless that was tacked on to make Pokémon-Amie seem interesting when you're viewing it on the touch screen but not in use. Its accessories are just used to 'reward' the player for doing well in Pokémon-Amie.

However, instead of being removed, they could be improved: one major problem with them is that players can't visit each other's 'homes.' Fortunately, ORAS should remedy this by using Secret Bases once again.
Yeah, that really is a useless feature.

That's the point. The games are meant so that their primary target audience, young kids, can beat them without getting too frustrated. However...while this is fine for the trainers along the main story, (though they usually will select a move that's super effective over one that isn't or non-effective...usually. It is smart enough to try for a priority attack on a weakened target if it has one) the trainers in the post game battle facilities like the PWT and Battle Maison should be much harder. It's okay if the first couple of opponents aren't all that hard to warm the player up, but after that the AI should start acting like the trainer has a few wins under their belt and has a better idea of what they're doing.

Ultimately though, it's just an AI. It's always going to have some sort of programming algorithm that can be easily exploited once you know what it is. It doesn't have intuition, just "If X, do Y, otherwise W" We can guess what our opponent is going to do and adjust accordingly, (like switch to a Ground type if we think the opponent is about to Volt Switch, or toss a Stone Edge if we think Volcarona is coming in) it can't.

BW2's Assist Mode and Challenge Mode are both incredulously, stupidly useless. They're both locked until someone who's beaten the game gives you the key to the desired mode or you beat it yourself. If they were to come back, especially Challenge Mode, they should be accessible from the very start.

This errs on the competitive side, but the whole process of obtaining EV-reducing berries is bullshit.

First of all, obtaining the Berries is a pain in the first place. In XY, they can only be obtained through mutations, which requires you to go out of your way to play some shitty Harvest Moon rip-off in the berry fields, while pre-BW2 you could only obtain them through the Dream World in BW. As if that wasn't enough, growing the berries is also inconvenient. In HG/SS, you had Berry Pots so you could water whatever berries you wanted, whenever and wherever you wanted: it was perfect. But in Gen V, you had to go log on and grow your Berries (which, by the way, grew slower than in Gen 4). In XY, you can grow Berries in-game once again, but you have to deal with small, yet tedious annoyances such as weeds and Bug-type Pokemon.

And after all of this, your Pokemon only loses 10 EVs.

Why is this process so tedious? What if you want to test out a new spread or, God forbid, make a mistake since the amount of EVs aren't displayed and the process of gaining EVs is never fully explained in-game? It's minor, but stupid shit like this that drives people to cheat.

Why is this process so tedious? What if you want to test out a new spread?
That is what Pokemon Showdown is for. Honestly, if you're going to build a Wi-Fi team you ought to perfect it on simulators first, otherwise you will end up losing hours upon hours in the long run when you realise that one of your Pokemon would really be better off with a different egg move.

Adding to the previous posts about the Arceus-awful censor in XY, I'd like to share something quite funny: The word "censor" is censored. And it's not because of the Scunthorpe problem (Google it) either; the word "censor" is actually banned. Seriously, TrollFreak?

I can understand it being in place for player names and messages on the PSS. But why is it in place for PC Box names, which nobody else ever sees, and Pokemon nicknames, which aren't displayed over Wi-fi battling anyway (and could easily be reverted to the normal names when traded over GTS)? Is it really that hard to make the game check to see whether or not to apply the censor whenever the player is prompted to enter text? Even a simple flag that states "apply the censor" for player names and PSS stuff and "don't apply the censor" for Pokemon nicknames, PC boxes, et cetera. Game Freak already has a solution to the problem, and yet we have to have our nicknames conform to a huge set of rules that are made worse by a combination of the Scunthorpe problem and GF being extremely overzealous in banning swear words in every language, along with misspellings and slang words. Perhaps the most annoying part is that people who want to name their mons after private parts will just name them PENlS (that's a lowercase L), while we clean nicknamers can't name a Pokemon Penelope. I get that they want to avoid lawsuits, but come on.

Ironically, the overzealous censor probably has the opposite effect intended. Picture this: A little kid evolves his Eevee into a Jolteon. It has lots of spikes, so he wants to name it "Spike". But the game won't let him. And he wonders why. So he might ask his parents, or he might Google it, and he sees that it contains a misspelling of an obscure derogatory term for Hispanic people. Boom, he just learned a new bad word. And if his parents are sufficiently overprotective, they sue GF anyway. So not only is the censor prone to false positives and incredibly easy to get around, but it's also completely useless.

Oh my Arceus, I think this is my third rant in OI about the censor. I deeply apologize. Unfortunately, I think the list of censored words is a 3DS thing, not an XY thing, so I don't see it changing in ORAS.

Last edited:
First of all, obtaining the Berries is a pain in the first place. In XY, they can only be obtained through mutations, which requires you to go out of your way to play some shitty Harvest Moon rip-off in the berry fields, while pre-BW2 you could only obtain them through the Dream World in BW. As if that wasn't enough, growing the berries is also inconvenient. In HG/SS, you had Berry Pots so you could water whatever berries you wanted, whenever and wherever you wanted: it was perfect. But in Gen V, you had to go log on and grow your Berries (which, by the way, grew slower than in Gen 4). In XY, you can grow Berries in-game once again, but you have to deal with small, yet tedious annoyances such as weeds and Bug-type Pokemon.
To be honest, I don't agree. While the weeds and bugs are definitely annoying, XY berry growing is the most convenient we've had yet. DPPt/RSE berry growing is annoying thanks to berry spots being spread throughout the region, and BW(2) berry growing is horrible for obvious reasons. However, keep in mind that while the berry pots are very accessible in HGSS, you only get to carry 2 (EDIT: 4 evidently; I forgot) at a time. At least in XY you can plant a couple rows full of EV-reducing berries, take care of them, and then have enough for a while. In HGSS, you'll painstakingly have to grow only two four plants at once.

I honestly think that the EV-reducing berries work: while it's annoying, it's certainly doable to get lots of them, and once you get them they're not incredibly inefficient. To be honest, my biggest gripe is the way that Super Training is halfway between full disclosure about EVs and keeping them a relatively 'hidden' mechanic: if you're going to give us the number boosts and drops each time, then at least give us the actual EV values without having to use a Reset Bag.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't agree. While the weeds and bugs are definitely annoying, XY berry growing is the most convenient we've had yet. DPPt/RSE berry growing is annoying thanks to berry spots being spread throughout the region, and BW(2) berry growing is horrible for obvious reasons. However, keep in mind that while the berry pots are very accessible in HGSS, you only get to carry 2 at a time. At least in XY you can plant a couple rows full of EV-reducing berries, take care of them, and then have enough for a while. In HGSS, you'll painstakingly have to grow only two plants at once.

I honestly think that the EV-reducing berries work: while it's annoying, it's certainly doable to get lots of them, and once you get them they're not incredibly inefficient. To be honest, my biggest gripe is the way that Super Training is halfway between full disclosure about EVs and keeping them a relatively 'hidden' mechanic: if you're going to give us the number boosts and drops each time, then at least give us the actual EV values without having to use a Reset Bag.
In HGSS, you could grow up to four plants at once, one per pot. Still, that isn't enough room for all six EV-reducing berries to be growing at once.

But I agree that it'd be nice to have actual numbers by the stats to more easily keep track of them. It would make the EV-reducing berries feel a bit more efficient when you can correct your error while one or two berries can still reverse it, and you wouldn't need to save, hit the reset bag, pause the game while the numbers flash to jot them down before they disappear, and then restart. That can be especially annoying if you happened to forget to disconnect from the internet before or after saving. Before because it'll want to GameSync while saving; after that annoying 'connection interrupted' message pops up.

And Drowzee can't get Dream Eater through level-up. And Beedrill can't get Megahorn.
Trollfreak strikes again.
As well as both Tyrantrum & Salamence being incapable of learning Outrage or Gyarados not being able to learn Crunch.

RE: the nick naming thing, I tried to name my Bunnelby "Thumper" & it didn't let me. However, the in-game Steelix you get through a trade is named Thumper.

Not every Dragon Type learns outrage just like not every water Pokemon learns Hydro Pump and not every Fire pokemon learns Flare Blitz. I don't think that's really so unbelievable.
And Drowzee can't get Dream Eater through level-up. And Beedrill can't get Megahorn.
Trollfreak strikes again.
Beedrill doesn't have horns, so...?
Drowzee not getting Dream Eater is pretty ridiculous though.

As well as both Tyrantrum & Salamence being incapable of learning Outrage or Gyarados not being able to learn Crunch.
While Salamence can't learn it through level up, it can in Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black 2, and White 2 through move tutors.

Not every Dragon Type learns outrage just like not every water Pokemon learns Hydro Pump and not every Fire pokemon learns Flare Blitz. I don't think that's really so

Their Pokedex entries specifically refer to both of them going on uncontrollable rampages & they both have their Attack stay as their highest stat.

It's massive drill hands and bug typing; I honestly don't see how that doesn't merit getting megahorn when even Scolipede somehow gets it.

This is how he learns Megahorn. But Beedrill should be able to learn Megahorn, I mean he could use Megahorn similarly to Escavelier in the fact that he can just use his horn like hands to jab someone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)