UU Simple Questions Thread

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
There is a glitch with auto weather where you have one extra turn, ie if you set sand with Hippo it will end after it says (3 turns left) not after (4 or 1 turns) left, or you'll have an extra turn with smooth rock. With manual weather, the counters are correct.
No sometimes the counter is correct. It seems more like something is systematically prolonging Sand for one turn. I THINK it has something to do with switching on the last turn of sand, but don't quote me on it. Maybe someone can test? Because this screws up sand users as well as their opponents due to the unreliability of the sim

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No sometimes the counter is correct. It seems more like something is systematically prolonging Sand for one turn. I THINK it has something to do with switching on the last turn of sand, but don't quote me on it. Maybe someone can test? Because this screws up sand users as well as their opponents due to the unreliability of the sim
Err I said auto weather was glitched when I meant the counter was glitched, it still lasts 5 turns every time, but the counter is just fucked up for auto weather, at least thats how it was explained to me, and I've never seen the counter right for auto weather o.o

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Err I said auto weather was glitched when I meant the counter was glitched, it still lasts 5 turns every time, but the counter is just fucked up for auto weather, at least thats how it was explained to me, and I've never seen the counter right for auto weather o.o
Does that include Smooth Rock Hippowdon? Cuz that's what I've been having the issue with

To my understanding, that's how many turns after the current turn the weather will last. There's obviously sand going on in the current turn, for example, so there's one (more) turn left of sand before it goes away.

Maybe an easier way to think of it is adding one to the total on the screen and that's how many turns of weather are left.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What setup sweeper would pair best with CB guts heracross? I'm assuming one that has trouble breaking through bulky water types or sableye.

So what's a good Roserade set?
Just a basic outline, the OU Roserade thread didn't do me any favours :/
(Seriously, the first set was a gimmicky SunnyDay set urrrrrrg)

Mienshao or Megacham?

Mienshao was the only thing I would use on my team in 5th Gen but now he seems so frail compared to Megacham. Yes, focus sash would keep him in for an extra turn but I'm not sure if he's worthy of a place on my team. Help!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mienshao or Megacham?

Mienshao was the only thing I would use on my team in 5th Gen but now he seems so frail compared to Megacham. Yes, focus sash would keep him in for an extra turn but I'm not sure if he's worthy of a place on my team. Help!
Medicham is OU. Sorry...

Mienshao is really good though. Don't use Focus Sash as it can be unreliable and it already has a very good base 105 Speed. I would highly recommend the Coice Scarf and Life Orb sets though.

Mienshao isn't anywhere frail if you make good use of Regenerator, which also works well with Life Orb. Alternatively, choiced reckless sets are amazing on him as high jump kick either reaches astronomical levels with cb, or you can sweep weakened teams with a scarf set.

Hydreigon Questions:

Using pokemon like Hydreigon or Greninja in their respective tiers, a common set is 3 Special Attacks and U-turn. Question is: Timid or Naive?

Another Question: Scarf or Specs/LO Hydreigon?
(on any of these sets) Is Dark Pulse really necessary? Outside of Slowbro, I can't think of anything important and I'd prefer coverage. Maybe I'd use it on the LO set, but on the Scarf set I'd just U-turn out of there into a more appropriate counter.

If mixed LO, what (scarfed/priority/speed boost) sweeper compliments Hydreigon well? I always like to have a wallbreaker and a seperate scarfer, that's why I ask. Arcanine/Lucario maybe? Scarf Mienshao?

EDIT: No U-turn with LO, right?

Unrelated: Common Slowbro/Slowking sets? AV, TR, CM? Maybe something else? (I know they're different, that's why I'm asking for both)
I tried an AV Slowking (with Amoonguss and Mienshao) but it didn't work out as well as I thought it would.

If this isn't the proper place to post/proper post formatting, please don't delete it. Notify me here and I'll change it within a day.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really like Naive on Hydreigon as it hinders him a bit while checking Houndoom (which is really not common atm because infernape and bliss but w/e) so Hasty and Timid are the preferred natures in my opinion.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 165-195 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​
The main reason I don't want to go with Hasty is because it makes it a tad easier for this sucker to take you out. It's happened one too many times, while I don't really have a problem with M-Hound
Anyway, I infer that it's up to preference.
Dark Pulse is really useful for its neutral coverage and to revenge kill Victini, Alakazam, Jirachi, Chandelure, Metagross and a ton of other Pokemon Hydreigon checks whitout the special attack drop and Hydreigon only needs Draco-U-Turn-Dark Pulse-Fire Blast anyway, especially on Choice Scarf sets.
Well, I thought Flamethrower was enough for Jirachi and Metagross but I see your point:
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Jirachi: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Jirachi: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Jirachi: 152-180 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery​
Alakazam still threatens with Focus Blast, I wouldn't stay in on it unless I was scarfed and locked to Dark pulse (in which case Zam won't switch in anyway). Fun Fact (just found out):
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4- SpD Hydreigon: 326-384 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 294-346 (90.4 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO​
I think I'm going with Timid after all on Scarf Hydreigon.
Hydreigon can also easily switch into and threaten Slowbro especially if it doesn't have Thunder Wave so Aerodactyl and almost anything walled by it is a good partner. The LO set is good with anything that appreciates Florges removed (Iron Tail 2HKOes cleanly) so Mienshao, non-CB-Heracross, Mega Blastoise and a miriad of special attackers are good.
Slowbro may also carry Ice Beam, so there's that too. I always think twice before switching in.
As for "Iron Tail 2HKOes Florges cleanly": I like to not use that word for moves with 85% and less acc. Iron Tail 2HKOes *if it hits twice* which will happen ~56% of the time. Not good enough, especially if the other pokemon can OHKO you with Fairy Wind Moonblast. Of course Flash Cannon is a joke vs Florges so I thing I'll just U-turn out of there into Roserade or something.
Slowbro (who in UU outclasses Slowking in almost every way)
Yes I know, but WHY? On paper, the only difference is a bit extra Def vs a bit extra SDef. Same Abilities, movepool, typing, everything. Is this pokemon that much more reliant on physical rather than special bulk?
And could someone please elaborate on some common/effective Slowbro(/king) sets?

Sorry for rambling on for too much, thanks again for replying.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro is better than Slowking because Water/Psychic in UU is a typing much better suited for switching into physical attackers. Slowbro can switch into physical Infernape, physical Victini, Darmanitan/Entei, Mienshao, Megadactyl, Toxicroak, etc. rather easily and can even wall things it has no type advantage over like Lucario (Scald kills at 60%ish), Flygon or Cloyster. In addition, when it's healthy you can even pivot it into extremely hard hitting things like CB Staraptor (switch to Slowbro to see what it's locked into -> switch to resist).

Slowking gets KOd much more easily by a lot of those -- CB Victini's Bolt Strike can KO Slowking after rocks, whereas it does ~70% to Slowbro (that seems like a lot but it's manageable with Regenerator), various boosted Knock Offs 2HKO, and Slowking pretty much can't switch into any of the physical threats Slowbro walls but has no type advantage over.

Special bulk isn't as important as their weaknesses are much more prevalent on the special side -- Shaymin, Roserade (who switches in more easily to Slowking than Slowbro since Slowking often doesn't run Psyshock), Megampharos, Raikou, Chandelure, and Hydreigon are just a few threats that walk all over Slowking. The only important special attackers Slowking can switch into with its increased SpD are the Nidos, but Nidoking uses Megahorn this gen which gets past Slowking easily. In addition, Slowbro's best set is Calm Mind, which is much more conducive with Slowbro's stat spread than Slowking's.

Slowking actually has a better movepool than Slowbro since it has Dragon Tail and Nasty Plot, but Dragon Tail was mainly used to beat Kingdra (who Slowking actually switches into much more easily than Slowbro since it's not shrekt by Specs), who is no longer a top tier threat.

Medicham is OU. Sorry...

Mienshao is really good though. Don't use Focus Sash as it can be unreliable and it already has a very good base 105 Speed. I would highly recommend the Coice Scarf and Life Orb sets though.
I just had a mega derp, thinking this was the OU board. derp of the year award.. but thank you for that anyways. I'll have to try Scarfshao, I've been seeing him around lately.

Quick question, how come you never see physical nidoking, not like the movepool is bad (Includes priority access in SP) it ohko's quite a few threats especially with stealth rock support.

Quick question, how come you never see physical nidoking, not like the movepool is bad (Includes priority access in SP) it ohko's quite a few threats especially with stealth rock support.
Because special Nidoking has a lot more moves with better coverage and that abuse Sheer Force. It also tends to be much harder to switch into.

Because special Nidoking has a lot more moves with better coverage and that abuse Sheer Force. It also tends to be much harder to switch into.
That being said, with blissey in the tier, it's not entirely out of the question for nidoking to run a physical set, as a special one is never getting past the blob

However, physical nidoking should really only be used if you need to run it as a blissey lure.

That being said, with blissey in the tier, it's not entirely out of the question for nidoking to run a physical set, as a special one is never getting past the blob

However, physical nidoking should really only be used if you need to run it as a blissey lure.
Ehh if I wanted to lure Blissey I'd just run mixed with enough Attack EVs to 2HKO Blissey with Superpower.

Ok here is something which has been bugging me of recent. What made Tornadus-T (potentially) broken in UU and why is it a fair bit later in comparison to other Pokemon on the list (I would have though that it would at least be trialled before Staraptor)?

When I remember it in UU I never really though of it as broken to begin with, just a Mienshao with Acrobatics instead of HJK, a bit more speed and different typing. So I'd like to know why it is so far down the list behind things like Staraptor and all the Dragons.

Been running ScarfNape, but unsure of the Ability and last move.

Infernate @ Choice Scarf
Ability: ??
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-Turn
-??

Flare Blitz and Close Combat are a given. I've been using U-Turn, which is nice for scouting and an easy revenge kill, which is awesome. But the last move, man, I've been going nuts.

Pretty much comes down to these choices:
-Thunderpunch: Seems like a natural choice, but it's pretty much equal to a Close Combat/Flare Blitz
-Mach Punch: Extra priority seems pretty nice, even if Scarf is there
-Earthquake: Just for the Nidos, Mega-Amp/other Elec Pokes
-Gunk Shot/Poison Jab: Florges
-Stone Edge: Seems better for Flying Pokes, but Stone Miss could cost me the game
-Stealth Rock: Could be a nice bluff

So many options...thanks for the thoughts!

Ok here is something which has been bugging me of recent. What made Tornadus-T (potentially) broken in UU and why is it a fair bit later in comparison to other Pokemon on the list (I would have though that it would at least be trialled before Staraptor)?

When I remember it in UU I never really though of it as broken to begin with, just a Mienshao with Acrobatics instead of HJK, a bit more speed and different typing. So I'd like to know why it is so far down the list behind things like Staraptor and all the Dragons.
It is listed last because it was the last to be banned. It was broken because it sit at a high speed tier so it could check/pivot into many things without a scarf (unlike Mienshao who is slower and much frailer) and was ludicrously hard to revenge kill due to its decent bulk, offensive pressence, Regenerator and the general lack of strong priority users.. And unlike Mienshao it could be mixed and running many other sets due to its wide movepool, including itemless Acrobatics, Life Orb, Bulk Up and even AV pivot. Back then we had less Fletchinders and Aerodactyls so idk how Torn will fare in this meta though

tl;dr fucker be pivoting in and out, checking shit left and right, hard to kill as fuck. oh and knock off. verdict: broken

Edit: Not gonna double post to clog up the thread, so Imma just leave it here. Can you guys not make threads on the retested mons and make discussions in the UU metagame thread instead before they were unbanned? It really clogs up this subforum with locked threads when they turn up broken, not to mention most of those threads have shit OP followed by shit discussion.

Last edited:
90% of the time there was already a thread for it. The Torn-T thread up now was locked when he was banned, and Koko unlocked it today/yesterday now that it's being retested.

90% of the time there was already a thread for it. The Torn-T thread up now was locked when he was banned, and Koko unlocked it today/yesterday now that it's being retested.
Except a few like Manaphy or Goth. I really hope we don't make threads for them as it clogs up the forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)