Apprentice Program: Round Eighty Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
IF YOU WERE SKIPPED IN PREVIOUS ROUNDS, PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THIS IN YOUR APPLICATION SOMEWHERE AND MAKE IT OBVIOUS.

Welcome to round 86 of Battling 101. If you are seeking a tutor, you're in the right place. Fill out the information below to be assigned a tutor.

It is highly advised that you have some basic knowledge of battling before signing up for this program. If you need a crash course on things like EVs or basic Pokemon roles such as walls and sweepers, then you should be playing a little bit more on the PS/PO simulators before signing up here.

And while this may sound obvious, I feel like it needs to be said given the rather lackluster activity last round. Please don't bother signing up if you aren't planning on being active for the entire round. You are taking away a spot from somebody who is actually willing to put in the time and effort to get the most from this program.

Username:
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself:
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:

To clear up any confusion, here is an example of what an application would look like:

Username: Kevin Garrett
Shoddy Username: Kevin Garrett
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 4:00 p.m. – 2 a.m. GMT -5
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I am the reason luvdiscs were implemented on Smogon. Aside from that, I deleted all of my posts because they were all terrible. I really want to learn how to play Pokemon the right way because I have struggled with it for so long and put in a lot of time to get better, but can't improve at all.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Sure, but I suck at tournaments =(
YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS. Additionally, you must be able to use Pokémon Online, Pokémon Showdown, or at least Shoddy Battle (if you only wish to learn DPP OU).

Important: Don't forget about the Tutee Talk forum, including what we expect of you guys if you are chosen as tutees!

*Tutee tournaments will happen after every round, it is strictly XY OU. If you are interested in playing for this tournament then we will send you a reminder PM once the signup thread opens.

Username: Brytmonlee

Pokemon Showdown Username: Brytmonlee

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-6 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.

What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU

Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing Pokemon Gen 1, with a brief hiatus during parts of Gen 3. I got introduced to the world of competitive watching battles on Youtube, and decided to give it a try. I tried Showdown and quickly learned that I am not as good as I thought I would be. My biggest weakness is team building, or at least, I think it is. That may be because my main emphasis is on Wi-Fi battles and the difficulty in getting good Pokemon together. I believe that this is the best way to overcome these challenges and really get into competitive battling.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes

Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS. I have only been able to ladder on OU in the range of 1250 to 1400 on Showdown and would really like to get better, maybe sit comfortably around 1600, possibly. I am a good learner, and can take constructive criticism, but I would like it if it were in the realm of possibility for my Y version. I hope you consider me some tutoring. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Username: Ununhexium
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ununhexium
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT-4) usually afternoons but I'm pretty flexible. I will be unable to battle until July 8 as I will be on vacation (GMT-7) but I will still be on forums and IRC. If this is a problem, queue me up for next round!
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU and XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a 14 year old boy, I am very active in the UU subforum (I'm trying to get better), CAP, and RU. I recently picked up Doubles and I have been having a lot of fun so far, but I know I can only get better! I like to think I have a good sense of humor (I actually don't) and I'm good with new people.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course I will!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: No. I don't like OU

Last edited:
Username: Quickbobhero
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown Username: Quick
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 / EST. Free from 4 AM - 6 PM
What tier do you want to learn?: {{ XY OU / HGSS OU }}
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a high school student who is on summer vacation and wants to get better at a game I love so much, and I want to prepare for a major tourney in form of the OST so I can compete in it when it next arrives. My knowledge in 4th Gen from back when I first played it has completely died, and I would greatly appreciate a tutor that can help me out. For XY, I play at the ladder and get decently high rankings (around mid 1800's) but seem to fall down due to tilt too quickly and too frequently, so any laddering tips would be greatly appreciated. Teambuilding advice would also be greatly appreciated. I have managed to make decent teams (in XY OU) occasionally, but I really want a more concrete way to team build multiple play styles. (I use Heavy Offense teams, but my teambuilding process is generally focused on having checks and counters for many Pokémon) I aim to teach people these things someday; whether it is through my YouTube channel, or as a future mentor, so the more help you can offer, the better I will be. Thank you for your consideration!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: I love tournaments, count me in!

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Username: Srn9130
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Srn (random numbers may follow, but "Srn" is main)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST (GMT -4) Evenings mostly
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU and HGSS OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I like Mons, it's the main thing I do in my free time. I play OU, and I consider myself pretty good and I know the tier very well, but the meta gets a tad stale and I want a helping hand to get myself into a new tier. I've heard Ubers is ridiculously stale and that I should stay away from it at all costs, and every other tier is still too new to really learn, so I settled on UU.
However, I do like OU a lot, and I was here to experience bw2 OU, and that was total shit. But then I heard that HGSS was one of the most balanced metagames ever and it literally sounded like a dream. So I want to learn that too!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yerp

Reactions: Nog
Username: Sunny.
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Volcaronite.
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1 everyday everytime bar the morning.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY LC (or even XY UU)
Tell us a little about yourself: I eat bananas
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course.
Note: I was skipped last round !

Username: Morgie123

Pokemon Showdown Username: Morgie123

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT: Flexible around you
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU

Tell us a little about yourself: Been a Pokémon fan since gen 1 when I got my first GBC with pokémon red. Didn't play much past gen 4, however some youtube videos popped up in my feed about competitive battling which looked awesome. Decided to give it a go and struggling to move past the "below average" barrier into the decent player category I had more success in OU compared to other tiers but that was a lot down to luck (flinch Jirachi) I feel! Aside from that I wait tables at Zizzi, love all sorts of gaming; movies and sport too.

Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Definitely

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS:
Have been around the forums checking stuff out in a lurking capacity for a while, really struggling with UU however, so would be great to get some help from you guys!

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Username: 13ulbasaur
Pokemon Showdown Username: 13ulbasaur
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+12. I'm typically available from 4.30 PM - 10.30 PM on Weekdays (absent around 6-7 pm for dinner) and on weekends I have a random schedule, if I have to go out then I'd typically be absent for the afternoon usually.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a college student studying Computer Graphic Design, and an avid Pokemon fan. Like many, I've been playing the game ever since I was very young. I enjoy following competitive battles, but I rarely participate in them myself because I get the worst of nerves that make me sick to my stomach and woozy. I tried forcing myself to play to get rid of it but it still remains strong. Now I have trouble doing any battles because of a huge lack of confidence. I feel like if I had someone mentor me and teach me, I could get more confident in battles, and I might be able to finally shake off the nerves that have plagued me for a decade.
I also seem to have an interesting accent.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: I'll try...

Last edited:
Username:Lost Soul
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Lost Soul22
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:Gmt-8, 12pm-12am
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU or XY RU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing Pokemon competitively off and on since Diamond and Pearl, i use to be fairly good at it back then, but as far as XY goes i find myself struggling to gain any consistency in any tier above RU lately, I'm a rather friendly person that is open to new ideas and constructive criticism, and I'm fairly active and willing to do whatever it takes to get better, I'm a big fan of the NU tier as well as the RU tier, as well i'm a pretty big sports fan, but if there is anything else that you need to know about me please ask and i will be happy to tell you.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.

Username: Vacate
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Vacate
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +0, 19:00 - 23:00
Tell us a little about yourself: I spend a few hours on PS each day but I still suck. I'd like to be able to actually play properly.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: No (I'll be abroad by the time this happens)

Username: Seismitoad
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ranger Mike
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6 and pretty much all day for the most part.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY doubles or DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I am a player who has dwindled from standards when I found my true love: Balanced Hackmons. While fun it really decreases your knowledge in standards. Anyway I want to be tutored in doubles because a. To please Senpai Arcticblast and b. because the community seems both awesome and welcoming. :) I also recently heard that DPP OU is a lot of fun.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: sure even though I don't know what it is lol.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Hell yeah!

Last edited:
Username: Ninjosh
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ninjosh1017
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5, Anytime after 11am
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU, XY UU, OR XY Doubles.
Tell us a little about yourself: I have played pokemon since Ruby and Sapphire. Most Pokemon I use are UU. So that would be a nice starting spot to learn competitive. I'd also like to learn OU so I can learn to take on the tougher crowd of pokemon if time permits… If not I will sign up to learn that in another Round. I would love to learn Doubles as well, sense a lot of Pokemon Tournaments are Doubles. My first pokemon was YY. I only just started learning competitive in the past few weeks. I play the Saxophone.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament? YES!!

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS.

While I haven't made many posts, I have lurked the forums every now and then. I haven't had much knowledge in Pokémon or the Smogon society to contribute much. But even before I made an account I regularly used Smogon to search for good Pokémon strategies in each Tier and I started using it even more once I created an account. I want to learn the ropes of competitive battle in each tier. I DO use Pokémon Showdown, so I won't need any lecture on that. Basically I plan getting good enough at competitive battle to do good in tournaments, and this program seems like the right way to go.

Last edited:
Username: hypercut
Pokemon Showdown: hypercut
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+2; let's say 4:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing Pokémon since Ruby and Sapphire came out; I got into the competitive part of it around the time Platinum was released via a dedicated forum, so I always played on simulators and not on Wi-fi. I was decent back then (I guess), and I also played extensively on the Shoddy Battle ladder. I started playing BW in early 2011 and dropped it after the summer, then BW2 came out and I played from November 2012 to April 2013, then stopped playing in a competitive way again. Recently I decided to catch up on the metagame and I have to say it's really an interesting one, Pre-Latias ban DPP levels, and that is why I want to join this apprentice program: to learn more about this metagame. I am familiar with the terms involved in the game and with the basics of team building and battling. I also have to say I really like to analyze the Showdown server usage stats to improve my knowledge of the metagame.

Username:Smog Frog
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:SheWantsTheDeo-D
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:CT(usa)Summer Break, any time from 9:00 AM-10:00 AM to 9:00-10:00 PM(am out on mondays for 6-7 PM)
What tier do you want to learn?:XY UU and XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:Well I am a 15 year old pokemon enthusiast, what else is there to say?
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:yes if it means i get to learn
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:fuck yes

was skipped round 84:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

Last edited:
Username: Shaymin :D
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Shaymin :D
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 6:00 PM - 1:00 AM anyday
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been able to learn and understand most of the other tiers. However, even though I think I have the basics down, I would like to learn more about XY Ubers
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Not really

Manaphy was my tutor during Round 83, and I contacted him and looked for him on Showdown, but he wasn't active.

Last edited:
Username: Ventrix
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Ventrix
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: My timezone is UTC -3 (two ours later than EST). Right now I’m on holidays, so I have most of my time free.
What tier do you want to learn?: Specially XY OU, but I’m in for learning other tiers alongside OU as well (also mixed tiers and doubles)
Tell us a little about yourself: I’m a psychology student in Brazil. I love games since I was a kid, and have being playing Pokémon since Gen III. But, though I always enjoyed playing, watched matches on Youtube and kept myself up-to-date with the news, I never got into competitive battling. That’s mostly because I never had friends to play Pokémon with since recently. However, since I’m on holidays I think this is a nice chance to start not only battling, but also getting immersed in the community (lurking is ok, but not enough. Haha).
… Did I say everything? Yeah, guess so.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I’m not suuure about what it is, but if it’s for the sake of everyone, why not? =)
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Sure thing! I love testing my skills.
Explanation for few posts: Well, my reason is that I actually didn’t have much to contribute yet. I’m not in position to discuss stuff or help with information since I lack it myself. I’m also a bit shy to enter a group when I’m not used to the subject and / or don’t know anyone.

Username:Sonickiller1612
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:sonickiller1612
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-4:00 (EST) I mostly able to get online at nights.
What tier do you want to learn?:OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I have been playing pokemon since I was a kid and I decided to start playing competitively. I'm open to any criticism and advice you can give. Even though I'm new, I am really looking forward to being tutor.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee
Tournament?
: Yes

Username:Venom1992
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Venom92
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:eastern standard 6-10 pm
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU also mixed tiers and doubles
Tell us a little about yourself:Ive been playing POkemon since 1st Gen, i enjoy sports, especially Football! Dragonball Z is my favorite show and i collect comics.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Idk what it is but sure!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Yes

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Minus
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Minus
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6
What tier do you want to learn?:XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: MY NAME IS MINUS AND I WANT TO BE TUTORED IN XY DOUBLES
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yeah sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: no, what is an ou?

Username: Paradiseh
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Paradiseh (dont usually play with this nick, i go for random nick)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT ( i am available most of the time ) 7pm-9pm for sure
What tier do you want to learn?: RU/NU/UU in order of prefer, love them all
Tell us a little about yourself: My name is Alex and im from Portugal, im not a hardcore player, was waiting for this oportunity to learn a bit more. Ive been playing Pokemon since Gen1 |m/
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Would love to.

Why i should be tutored, im a mature guy and ive been in this forum for a while even tho im not the type that posts at all, i learn fast too. Dont have much reasons tbh, just a friendly mature guy looking for some tutoring (:

Last edited:

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username: Bean
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Bean
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +0 Pretty much all day but specifically evenings.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers/OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing pokemon "competitively" on PS for about a year now and while I'm a reasonably competent battler I would love to learn how to play at a high(er) level. I'm also a driver on PS.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Absolutely

Username: AuraRayquaza
Pokemon Showdown Username: AuraRayquaza
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: gmt +1, all day
What tier do you want to learn?: dpp ou
Tell us a little about yourself: i like playing pokemon, pretty good at smogon doubles. Can play xy and bw ou but cannot play dpp, so would like to learn.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 84 Tutee Tournament?: no

Skipped round 85

Last edited:
Username: Gianluca90
Pokemon Showdown Usernane: Gianluca90
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +1 I am available pretty much every day of the week, from 3 PM to 7 PM. I can schedule time, if necessary
Tell us a little about yourself: I am an italian guy who likes play Pokemon in his free time. I played first 3 Gen on emulators, and skipped Gen 4 and 5 becasue I didn't like them. When XY came out, i was pretty skeptical, but then i bought Y and liked it a lot. I'm new to competitive battling, so I need somebody who can help me improve my strategies and battling skills.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I would say yes, but to tell the truth I don't really know what this is :)
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes, why not

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS

I think I should be tutored because i really enjoy the competitive aspects of Pokemon games. Moreover, I'm a person who always listen to more experienced people, and learn quickly from his mistakes. I really want to get better at this game, and I think that being tutored is the best way to achieve the best results.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Cloeblazer12
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: DD Clone
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-4 (830 PM - Midnight on most days, otherwise all day)
Tell us a little about yourself: Been playin comp for just over a year now. I'm fairly knowledgable about the Metagame and consider myself a relatively good battler, but I suck at team building and want to focus on and improve that more. Outside of mons, I'm a high school senior who works as a lifeguard during the summer on most days. Not much else to say, really.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yeah sure.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes.

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: horyzhnz
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: horyzhnz
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+10, holidays atm so pretty much all the time. Outside of that, 4PM -10PM
What tier do you want to learn?: Primarily XY OU, but also XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I can talk the talk but sometimes I can't walk the walk. Basically I choke a lot and I want to fix that so ya :[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)