The Everything NHL Thread

In slow days in hockey...

1.) habs resign markov for THREE years (damn)...not sure what this means in regards to P.K. Subban and his restricted free agency
2.) hartnell traded to cbj for umberger and draft pick...no comment
3.) still no news on kesler / spezza / thornton trade locations (minus the no trade teams thornton and spezza submitted), kind of a big deal because good offensive centers changing teams always significantly changes team dynamics

thoughts?
1.) The Markov contract is literally the same contract he signed in 2011. 3 years @ $5.75 per for a 32 year old isn't too bad. The same contract for a 35 year old with bad knees is, frankly, it's idiotic. If he's worth ~$6 million per year, then how can anybody say Subban isn't worth like $8.5 million+? Plus now all the other FA defensemen(Boyle, Niskanen, Stralman, etc) can justify why someone should overpay them.

2.) Lol was there any point in this trade? They're both wingers(Umberger played center at some point in his NHL time I think...) both making about the same money (Hartsy: $4.85 million vs R.J.: $4.7 million). Only thought is umberger's contract ends in 2017 while Hartnell's ends in 2019. 4th round pick is essentially irrelevant. Total wash, maybe 51/49 in favor of CBJ.

3.) Kesler is apparently only willing to go to Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Anaheim, so there's that. Thing with centers is they tend to either work out great (Carter in LA, Briere in Philly initially) or are just really shitty (Gomez, Drury, Richards in NY, Richards in LA(argueable), Carter in CBJ)

Predictions for those 3 are as follows:
Kesler: Pittsburgh
Spezza: Anaheim
Thornton: San Jose

What's everyones thoughts on the somewhat barren free agent pool come July 1? Notable UFA fowards include:
Vanek(MTL), Moulson(MIN), Callahan(TB), Camallerri(CGY), Statsny(COL), Richards(NYR), Gaborik(LA), Jokinen(PIT), lol Heatley(MIN), and alot of other solid top 9 players.
UFA defenseman:
Boyle(SJ), Niskanen(PIT), Stralman(NYR), Orpik(PIT), Meszaros(BOS), and alot of other pylons scrubs.
Goalies are basically Miller(STL), Hiller(ANA), Brodeur(NJ), and Bryzgalov(MIN).

What does anybody think?

Edit: Will be updating this if players resign.
Callahan: 6 years @ $5.8 million per year. 4 years of NTC
Gaborik: 7 years @ ~$4.8 million per year.

Last edited:

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Pitt will resign Jokinen and Niskanen for sure, both were extremely key in the regular season success and the little success they had in the post (Niskanen was the stand out d-man in Pitt this season imo). They won't resign Orpik though as they simply have too much depth and already have Martin filling the role of a veteran D, Orpik also knows that he can get a lucrative short-term contract so he really has no reason to stay. I don't really have any comment on anyone else but I am very curious to see where Brodeur and Heater will land.

Pitt will resign Jokinen and Niskanen for sure, both were extremely key in the regular season success and the little success they had in the post (Niskanen was the stand out d-man in Pitt this season imo). They won't resign Orpik though as they simply have too much depth and already have Martin filling the role of a veteran D, Orpik also knows that he can get a lucrative short-term contract so he really has no reason to stay. I don't really have any comment on anyone else but I am very curious to see where Brodeur and Heater will land.
Problem is they have $55 million tied up to 14 players. Let's say the cap goes up to $70 million for arguement's sake, and Idk what the vibe around the team is as per who goes and who stays, but they also need to resign Sutter who's an RFA, easily could get 3-4 million, maybe bring back rentals Goc and Stempniak, and need to resign what little depth guys they have in Vitale, Gibbons, Engelland, Glass, etc. Plus, they should probably go out and get a backup who can be a 1A when the playoffs start (Brodeur?) and Fluery inevitabley implodes and melts down. Having Vokoun at $2 million was a steal. Niskanen could easily want $5 million and he'd be worth it, and i'm sure alot of other teams would take him for 5 mill in a heartbeat. Shero really screwed them with these contracts, so it'll be nothing if not interesting to see how Rutherford comes in and sorts out the mess he's willing to take on.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Problem is they have $55 million tied up to 14 players. Let's say the cap goes up to $70 million for arguement's sake, and Idk what the vibe around the team is as per who goes and who stays, but they also need to resign Sutter who's an RFA, easily could get 3-4 million, maybe bring back rentals Goc and Stempniak, and need to resign what little depth guys they have in Vitale, Gibbons, Engelland, Glass, etc. Plus, they should probably go out and get a backup who can be a 1A when the playoffs start (Brodeur?) and Fluery inevitabley implodes and melts down. Having Vokoun at $2 million was a steal. Niskanen could easily want $5 million and he'd be worth it, and i'm sure alot of other teams would take him for 5 mill in a heartbeat. Shero really screwed them with these contracts, so it'll be nothing if not interesting to see how Rutherford comes in and sorts out the mess he's willing to take on.
Ya all valid points but I think that Jokinen and Niskanen are priority for the Pens rn. As for a goalie, that is definitely the #1 acquisition that needs to be made in the offseason; my money is on Greiss but you could speculate just about anyone.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Pens should dump Fleury/Orpik/Scuderi/Engelland/Glass as soon as practicable. They are dragging down that team.

The Pens should dump Fleury/Orpik/Scuderi/Engelland/Glass as soon as practicable. They are dragging down that team.
Engelland, Glass, and Orpik are all UFA's so they can all walk. Unless they compliance buyout Fleury (1 year @ $5 million remaining), there's no way someone would take him at that price with the other free agent goalies, so I doubt he gets traded. Idk what the market is for older, worn down, insanely slow defenseman, especially at $3.3 million over the next 3 years, but i'd imagine there's little interest. Plus, let's say that somehow all 3 of them are gone, which won't happen, who do they have on defense? Letang/Martin, Matta/Bortuzzo. Despres(RFA) and Niskanen can both walk. And Martin and Bortuzzo can walk next year. Maybe Pouliot is ready for the NHL, but do you really wanna bank on him and another rookie or possible pylon? Need an insurance plan in case Pouliot isn't ready.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Good lord, keep Despres. His ceiling is so much higher than most of the other D on that team. And you'd be surprised how many teams are stupid enough to take on a below-average Stanley Cup-winning goaltender. Vokoun has a much higher EVSV%, and he's just ROTTING on their bench. Even if they CAN'T dump MAF, just start Vokoun instead!

Good lord, keep Despres. His ceiling is so much higher than most of the other D on that team. And you'd be surprised how many teams are stupid enough to take on a below-average Stanley Cup-winning goaltender. Vokoun has a much higher. EVSV%, and he's just ROTTING on their bench. Even if they CAN'T dump MAF, just start Vokoun instead!
. Actually, it's been Jeff Zatkoff riding the bench for most of the year. I don't think he's on LTIR, but Vokoun barely played this year, if at all. Think he had blood clots in his leg or something along those lines that kept him out. And even if teams would take fleury because he has a cup, since that '09 cup run he's been ABSOLUTE GARBAGE in the playoffs. In 2012 his GAA was over 4 (6 games vs Philly) and it was over 3 last year (idk exact amount he played but PIT played 6 vs NYI, 5 vs OTT, and got swept by Boston). This was his 1st postseason since the 09' run he even had a save% over .900..... I mean sure he has a cup but why would you want him for one year when you can go out and sign miller or hiller or even Bryz for probably less?

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Ya I'm pretty sure that Vokoun's career is done. He didn't touch the ice once last season because of blood clots in his legs like Jack said and it isn't the first time this has happened, he had them the first time in Nashville.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kesler to Anaheim for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, and the ducks 1st rounder

Really like this deal for the Canucks, Bonino is a great young player, Sbisa is serviceable and a 1st rounder to boot

Pretty good deal both ways. Looks like Vancouver is acknowledging it's rebuild time. Still, Bonino and Sbisa while they're solid players, aren't franchise guys you build around. They're getting pieces in place, but have no idea what the puzzle will look like when it's complete. Kesler just slides in as the #2 center in another Pacific division team.

Also as of now: Jason Garrison, a 7th, and some kid to TB----> 2nd Rounder. Lol @ this salary dump and Tampa getting the goon squad ready for next year. And Dorsett goes to Vancouver from NYR for a 3rd Rounder. Honestly, this seems more pointless than Hartsy for R.J. Dorsett becomes the new Weise, and the Rangers can hopefully resign Carcillo. If they don't, then this was a pretty dumb trade.

Edit: James Neal to Nashville for Patric Hornqvist and Colin Spaling. Interesting...

Last edited:

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Neal to Preds for Hornqvist and Spaling. Preds come out on top on this one imo but the Pens clearly wanted him gone.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Yeah, I completely forgot that Vokoun had those health problems. Fine then, go get fucking James Reimer. He's pretty underrated right now and the Leafs are stupid enough to trade him.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
reimer behind toronto defense is bad enough I don't think he'd fare well behind a pittsburgh defense that might lose niskanen and orpik. I think Hiller is the coveted goalie this free agency because he can slot in as a number one or split time and mentor while being relatively affordable and probably only wanting a 2-3 year contract.

Either him or Brodeur are probably the two most likely options. Still, keep in mind that hiller might wanna go home and play in the Swiss leagues. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with someone over there. If he stays in North America then he's their best option as a 1A with MAF, but I wouldn't sign hiller to multi year deal just yet. Give fleury one more chance to make himself look like an NHL goalie come mid-April.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Either him or Brodeur are probably the two most likely options. Still, keep in mind that hiller might wanna go home and play in the Swiss leagues. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with someone over there. If he stays in North America then he's their best option as a 1A with MAF, but I wouldn't sign hiller to multi year deal just yet. Give fleury one more chance to make himself look like an NHL goalie come mid-April.
Penguins will not sign Brodeur, they are pressed for cap enough as it is.

Him and Hiller both made $4.5 million per over the lengths of their last contracts. If that's your arguement, then their only option would be to get a backup who can't or hasn't proven he can start. If I were a fan of them, I wouldn't be comfortable unless they get a Hiller, or a Marty, or even a Bryz. They cannot go into next year with zatkoff as the backup, but if they do they CANNOT go into the playoffs with him as the backup, assuming they get back there.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Him and Hiller both made $4.5 million per over the lengths of their last contracts. If that's your arguement, then their only option would be to get a backup who can't or hasn't proven he can start. If I were a fan of them, I wouldn't be comfortable unless they get a Hiller, or a Marty, or even a Bryz. They cannot go into next year with zatkoff as the backup, but if they do they CANNOT go into the playoffs with him as the backup, assuming they get back there.
Greiss.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember reading somewhere that the Pens have no intention of re-signing Niskanen or Jokinen so they really seem like the big losers so far. The James Neal trade is alright when without Malkin he's putting up average at best numbers and his offensive zone penalties are a major liability.

The cap went down to $69 million, so a lot of teams will prob be trying to trade some of their overpriced players, which is likely why Bollig was traded to the Flames today, especially since Kane & Toews both want $12 million while their teammates are signing cheaper contracts just to stay with the team.

I didn't think the Kesler to Anaheim trade was that great, since Bonino was coming off a year with incredibly high PDO, Sbisa isn't that great, and the guy they took with the 24th overall pick didn't seem too thrilled about playing with the Canucks.

The Toronto trade makes no sense at all unless you count intangibles like grittiness as important. Polak plays weaker minutes and had worse possession numbers than Gunnarsson in tougher minutes. Trading the pick and retaining some of Gunnarsson's salary really puts this trade in St. Louis's favor.

I'm glad the Isles made the safe pick with Dal Colle and then took the risk with Ho-Sang. If it pays off, I think Ho-Sang has the potential to be 10x better than many of the forwards taken before him. Still in the market for a veteran top 4 D, backup / 1A goalie, and a LW for Tavares, so should be interesting to see how Free Agency plays out.

Eh, pretty sure the yotes were in the playoffs when smith went down, they fell out by season's end. His numbers also were solid but not so good he instantly can be a 1A. There were a bunch of other backups who put up similar or better #'s in the 20-25 game range. 10-8-5 with a 2.29 GAA and a .920 save% in 25 games. Also went 3-3-4 after smith went down so yeah, when he was a temporary #1, he didn't do too great. He's due more than 700k, but that doesn't mean he can just be thrown into a playoff game and you feel confident.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I remember reading somewhere that the Pens have no intention of re-signing Niskanen or Jokinen so they really seem like the big losers so far. The James Neal trade is alright when without Malkin he's putting up average at best numbers and his offensive zone penalties are a major liability.

The cap went down to $69 million, so a lot of teams will prob be trying to trade some of their overpriced players, which is likely why Bollig was traded to the Flames today, especially since Kane & Toews both want $12 million while their teammates are signing cheaper contracts just to stay with the team.

I didn't think the Kesler to Anaheim trade was that great, since Bonino was coming off a year with incredibly high PDO, Sbisa isn't that great, and the guy they took with the 24th overall pick didn't seem too thrilled about playing with the Canucks.

The Toronto trade makes no sense at all unless you count intangibles like grittiness as important. Polak plays weaker minutes and had worse possession numbers than Gunnarsson in tougher minutes. Trading the pick and retaining some of Gunnarsson's salary really puts this trade in St. Louis's favor.

I'm glad the Isles made the safe pick with Dal Colle and then took the risk with Ho-Sang. If it pays off, I think Ho-Sang has the potential to be 10x better than many of the forwards taken before him. Still in the market for a veteran top 4 D, backup / 1A goalie, and a LW for Tavares, so should be interesting to see how Free Agency plays out.
the cap went up, it was 64.3 million in 2013-2014

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
reimer behind toronto defense is bad enough I don't think he'd fare well behind a pittsburgh defense that might lose niskanen and orpik.
Toronto was one of if not the worst possession teams in the league last year and they gave up GOBS of shots. Reimer's EVSV% was pretty good, all things considered. Also, Orpik is dogshit and Niskanen will ask for more than he's worth.

NOBODY should sign Brodeur, he is also dogshit. His steady decline has been painfully obvious for years, if the Devils had even SLIGHTLY better goaltending last year, they make the playoffs. They were a top possession team.

Snow finally did something right, and he did it RIGHT. He knocked the 1st round out of the park. Tim Murray was trying to trade ALL 3 SABRES 2ND ROUND PICKS to try to get back into the first round, but no one would dance with him. I think other GMs are already steering clear of him because he's not fucking around. I wanted Ho-Sang :(

The goalie issue shouldn't be a big deal. I think they could get by with halak and a backup, just neither of the two they have in Bridgeport. Top 4 D and LW could be a bit tougher, I mean who would want to actually play for the islanders they've alrady been shot down a few times by players. I hear Dan Boyle and Thomas Vanek might be available...
the cap went up, it was 64.3 million in 2013-2014
I think what Solace meant was that it was supposed to be in the low $70s, but it didn't happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)