Player of the Week 12: The_Unlucky_One

welcome to the next installment of potw

The Unlucky one
Favorite Pokemon: Bellsprout
Most Known For: 6-0 in LCPL
Playstyle: Offense
Most Used Pokemon: Murkrow

Kavatika: Tell us a little about yourself?

The Unlucky One: I'm a 14 year old high school student from the Philippines (I can actually take the college entrance exam next year but I'm lazy). I spend most of my time doing dumb things like playing Rock Band
Guitar+Drums at the same time, and just generally acting dumb

Kavatika: How and when did you start playing LC? Do you remember your first team?

The Unlucky One: I started playing LC when my IRL friend and I were testing around other metas outside of OU, which I was actually pretty good at in BW (I did ok in the first SPL Farm League I guess). My first team used LO Krow+Scarf Mienfoo, which is actually really legit and a core I used in BW for the rest of the time I played it. With that team, I demolished the crappy ladder, so I thought I was good and pursued LC.

Kavatika: When did you fight real LC players? Did you get your ass handed to you?

The Unlucky One: The first time I played LC against real players was in a minitour where Snover was banned or something. I eventually reached the 3 way finals against EM and someone, but had the shittiest timezone and decided to give the win away. Here is a replay of one of the battles: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc12158514

Kavatika: What is your favorite element of LC?

The Unlucky One: As weird as this sounds, I like LC because of its centralization and limited nature. There are so much Pokemon in LC that should not be used in LC, and some strategies that straight up don't work because of the way LC works. This (especially in BW LC) caused some pretty large gaps between average ladder players to actual good players. This also makes LC based on team matchup preparation, and other factors I don't like (Speed Ties).

Kavatika: If you could change one thing about LC by banning or unbanning it, what would it be?

The Unlucky One: LC is pretty fine as it is right now to be honest, a lot of people want Yanma freed but I think that's just some mental disfunction. The only thing that needs to change to make this meta less stale is the way people play. Too many people think HO is cool and bitch about the meta without trying anything else, and dont realize how fun LC can be if they just change things up themselves. Metagames are made by the way people play a format, not the ruleset.

Kavatika: LC user or player you most admire?

The Unlucky One: I have legit respect to users that do something different, or actually giving a damn to innovate while still doing well. I DON'T mean people that handicap themselves as an insult to the ladder, I mean players that can play multiple playstyles or do things others don't and still succeed well. People like Charmander, Artemisa and maybe even Rowan if what he does doesn't become standard in 2 weeks.

Kavatika: What do you think is the most successful Pokemon, core, or strategy in the current meta?

The Unlucky One: Since everyone likes offense around the community, pokemon like Sash Abra or CopyCat Riolu are excellent revenge killers. Outside of that, it's all about asserting your offensive strategy (which usually tends to be Memento+Sweeper or Knock Off+Cleaner) before the opponent can execute his/hers. Also, Tirtouga is godlike in both standard sets, SS and Solid Rock

Kavatika: Advice to new LCers?

The Unlucky One: Use what you wanna use, just dont get pissed if you end up sucking. Get to know what's good and winning strategies from top players on #littlecup, or lurk on the forums a bit. If you just wanna play LC you can just run whatever you want, the ladder will pair you up against people just as good/bad as you anyway. Just don't expect to run Buneary/Wurmple and top the ladder on your first try. If you have any problems, just consult some of the LC guys.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Misdreavus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 28 SDef / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 224 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
The Unlucky One: I literally built this team the day after the KrowTite bans were implemented, as a prediction of what would be meta a few months after the bans. I was a bit off, but this team is actually really fucking good. Scarf Chinchou is one of the best revenge killers for Scraggy/other stuff, and functions as one of the best cleaners in the game when Specs Missy wallbreaks Porygon/just kills shit. You can actually trick the pawniard switchin with and find out if it was Scarf or Evio, to see if it (most likely) runs pursuit or sucker punch, letting you nail Pawniard if you are smart. Porygon/Larvesta/Chinchou is a godlike bulky offense core if you can keep hazards off the field, and Scraggy is there because I thought it would be god when krowtite ban (close enough to it). I'll update this team eventually but this gives new players a good thing to improve as well I guess.

Delver

I got the runs like Jagger
shoulda been delver hes duh best.

I guess i just got Unlucky. Bwhwhwhheeh. TU1 is pretty cool too from what ive heard

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yassss booo my nigga tuo finally got his Recognition! Excellent player, I absolutely love to play against him, and play with him in league, even tho he killsteals *-*

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
He is lucky that's why he wins - the name is just an illusion

anyway, TUO good player, I've always liked playing mons with him, and sharing ideas with him - he has a lot of ideas for things in Little Cup and is always willing to find niches for certain Pokemon, see: Scarf Taillow.
Offensively minded player, but can also play with other playstyles as well, which can make him difficult to counterteam in tournaments and such.

TUO's 11-0 in LCPL if I remember correctly... And he's a kewl kid. I echo TCR's remarks though, he killsteals like a mofo with Soraka.

I believe he was older, showing he's a mature boy for his age. Despite his nick, he destroyed me with strokes of luck, in last LC Tournament on Grand Slam ;). But he's genuine and loyal dude. Good luck, The Unlucky one. :D

I just realized I messed up a lot of the stuff with the old BW LC minitours cuz im dumb. I actually made the finals in two of those BW LC tours after checking it, the first with a drilbur/krow ban , and the second one being a Snover Ban where I showed the log. Just clarified some stuff because I have crappy memory

I just realized I messed up a lot of the stuff with the old BW LC minitours cuz im dumb. I actually made the finals in two of those BW LC tours after checking it, the first with a drilbur/krow ban , and the second one being a Snover Ban where I showed the log. Just clarified some stuff because I have crappy memory
You are a good player, I know that. And I like you team too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)