Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest problems with Spiritomb in my opinion is that for it to effectively handle SD Lum Gatr (in my experience the most common set on one of the most common and best pokes), it needs to be bulky WoW and be at high health.
+2 Spiritomb Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 294-346 (94.2 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

m8m8m8m8

And I would rather have something taking Neutral hits that SE ones. It isn't about lack of resistances, more lack of weakness that makes Spiritomb truly a great mon.
Very little can OHKO Spiritomb without boosts. The only relevant and reliable hard counters are Granbull (which needs to move up, will make post later) and Togetic.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, then. Nobody has made a full post about it, but a lot of people agree that Granbull needs to be moved up
Granbull up from B to B+ (maybe even A-, but I don't really mind in which of the two it is)
How exactly is one of NU's finest physical walls in the same rank as Scyther, Sneasel, and Ditto (or, for that matter, why is Ludicolo there, but I can't really say more than has already been said other than it is difficult to take Rain-boosted LO Hydro Pumps and even harder to outspeed)? It is practically a god send to this offensive tier as it keeps mostly every physical threat that doesn't have a STAB super effective move (which boils down to very little significant pokes) in check. It also hard walls one of the best pokemon in the tier (Spiritomb, and it can take a hit from most Shiftry and OHKO back):
+6 0 SpA Spiritomb Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Granbull: 240-283 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (this scenario in particular will never happen, but it works to illustrate how it always beats Spiritomb)
It also has great power for a defensive pokemon and near perfect coverage in Play Rough in NU. It can even opt for an offensive set with great power and coverage, though it is admittedly nowhere near as effective. A Choice Band set can force Fighting-types, Dark-types, and other physical attackers to switch, and hit the switch-in hard, so it sounds promising.
However, the main reason I don't want it to be higher is that it faces a good amount of competition from Vileplume (who walls similar pokemon), it doesn't have reliable recovery (unlike Vileplume), and it doesn't have very good special bulk (unlike Vileplume). However, Granbull's ability to wall and leave a mark on most of the tier definitely warrants it moving up.

Last edited:
Well, then. Nobody has made a full post about it, but a lot of people agree that Granbull needs to be moved up
Granbull up from B to B+ (maybe even A-, but I don't really mind in which of the two it is)
How exactly is one of NU's finest physical walls in the same rank as Scyther, Sneasel, and Ditto (or, for that matter, why is Ludicolo there, but I can't really say more than has already been said other than it is difficult to take Rain-boosted LO Hydro Pumps and even harder to outspeed)? It is practically a god send to this offensive tier as it keeps mostly every physical threat that doesn't have a STAB super effective move (which boils down to very little significant pokes) in check. It also hard walls one of the best pokemon in the tier (Spiritomb, and it can take a hit from most Shiftry and OHKO back):
+6 0 SpA Spiritomb Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Granbull: 240-283 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (this scenario in particular will never happen, but it works to illustrate how it always beats Spiritomb)
It also has great power for a defensive pokemon and near perfect coverage in Play Rough in NU. It can even opt for an offensive set with great power and coverage, though it is admittedly nowhere near as effective. A Choice Band set can force Fighting , Dark, and other physical attackers to switch, and hit the switch-in hard, so it sounds promising.
However, the main reason I don't want it to be higher is that it faces a good amount of competition from Vileplume (who walls similar pokemon), it doesn't have reliable recovery (unlike Vileplume), and it doesn't have very good special bulk (unlike Vileplume). However, Granbull's ability to wall and leave a mark on most of the tier definitely warrants it moving up.
Expanding a bit on Granbull, it just takes a dump on so much of the metagame right now. Shiftry, Spiritomb, Liepard (although parahax are still annoying), Sawk, Gurdurr, and more are all basically countered by Grabull. Plus, just about every physical attacker in the tier not named Pawniard kinda hates it's guts due to Intimidate. Solid A-, but I could live with B+

While I already said that Granbull counters a ton of pokes and has to move up, I would call it more of a check to Shifty as it is 2HKOed by uninvested LO Leaf Storm and is completely screwed over by the specially attacking set (which is not the best tbh). It obviously beats most Shiftry sets 1v1, but it can't switch into Leaf Storm and doesn't have reliable recovery to heal off the damage (unless you run RestTalk with Heal Bell).
Just thought I would mention that, as it is a problem for it.
  • 0 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Granbull: 251-296 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • -2 0 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Granbull: 126-149 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- 6.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's 98.1% - 115% chance to KO, so yeah. I didn't really believe this at first, considering the drop in SpA. But, there's that slight chance you can live, and now Shiftry is at -4 SpA and -1 Atk, so it is so easily set up on at this point, it's not even funny. Plus, Granbull OHKOes with Play Rough as is, so yeah, it checks Shiftry. Agreeing with all of this, was just a bit skeptical at first.

Vullaby to C+ or C

After testing this thing out, it's better than I expected, to say the least. The one big thing I found that made this defogger have a decent niche is Foul Play. Foul Play allows it to punish any Shell Smasher, Dragon Dancer, or Swords Dancer, as well as consistanly do decent damage to any physical attacker, even on resisted hits like Shiftry or Sawk. Between Foul Play and Toxic, not much really can set up on this mon freely, and it's good overall bulk allows it to even eat up some special hits with only the typical 8 special defense put in. It's not the greatest mon in the world, but it definitely exceeded expectations.

Also, I support all 3 of the current A+ mons(Gatr, Shiftry, and Spiritomb) going up to S Rank. Shiftry and Gatr, while somewhat predictable, threaten a lot of pokemon, while Shiftry is also a great offensive defogger. Tomb's incredible versatility, unpredictabillity, and good typing make it a huge threat in the current metagame.

Vileplume up to A+
This thing deals with a lot of the tier, checking and countering a lot of the biggest threats. Is there really that much to say about how effective and good Plume is?

why does torkoal have a d rank dont understand... its what the top 100 use an i use it as im laddering up but ths isnt final
Usage on the high ladder is in no way the deciding factor in viability as everyone on the low ladder uses Armaldo but that doesn't mean that it should get s rank because it is to be quite frank abysmal. Now onto torkoal, first of all rapid spin is kind of obsolete now that defog is buffed and it is not last gen pre-scolipede ban where you needed a spinner or you were in trouble. Second of all why would I ever use this thing over something like Sandslash or something. Honestly a weakness to stealth rock isn't that good for a rapid spinner either. Basically Torkoal is not super bad just a very niche pokemon that you should probably only use as a last resort for a team.

How is Volbeat only D rank? It has the great combination of Prankster + Tail Glow + Baton Pass, which can also be used in combination with some other status moves like thunder wave. I have wrecked some teams thanks to the huge +3 he can easily pass to any special attacker.

How is Volbeat only D rank? It has the great combination of Prankster + Tail Glow + Baton Pass, which can also be used in combination with some other status moves like thunder wave. I have wrecked some teams thanks to the huge +3 he can easily pass to any special attacker.
Well that is really the only thing it has going for it. I mean Volbeat still has a mediocre typing and stats, has to rely on a Substitute or Focus Sash to live a hit and is Taunt bait like no other Pokemon. I mean sure sure Baton Pass and Tail Glow with Prankster are both good but that is the only thing it has going for it.

I just realized Mr. Mime is criminally low. It is one of the strongest psychic types atm, a great cleaner, and has a STAB fairy move to deal easily with Dark pokemon. It fills a variety of niches, being able to run both choiced items and LO effectively, allowing it to act as a wall breaker, sweeper, or even a revenge killer. Its amazing typing along with respectably strong stats makes it a solid choice and warrants it at least a B- rating.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Volbeat's Tail Glow passing ability is somewhat overshadowed by Gorebyss' Shell Smash Pass, as Shell Smash also boosts Speed (as well as Attack for mixed recipients); it's not a bad niche, but it's hard to distinguish itself this way with SmashPass around. Volbeat's main niche is probably as a weather setter with a slow U-turn to allow it safely switch in a weather sweeper. Priority Encore, Baton Pass, and Thunder Wave are also nice bonuses, but the priority weather + slow u-turn combo is really Volbeat's best niche over other priority weather setters, such as Meowstic-M and Liepard. It almost never fails its job though, and most importantly it spares its weather sweeper teammates from having to take an attack, unlike Meowstic-M and Liepard. Of course, these Pokemon are just better Pokemon outside of this niche, which is why C- Rank is the best Volbeat should get.

I also think Meowstic-M deserves more recognition, as it is an excellent Dual Screen user as well as a weather setter. The only thing that really holds it back as a setter is the fact that it has no way to safely bring in a teammate, which allows most players to simply force Meowstic-M to waste precious turns (for Dual Screens and weather). It has better bulk than Volbeat and Liepard, so it is more likely to be able to come into battle repeatedly to set up. Priority Thunder Wave isn't that spectacular, but it is a (unreliable) way to bring its teammates in. I think it fits C+ Rank perfectly, as it is outclassed by Uxie, Mesprit, and Liepard in setting up screens and/or weather, but it doesn't change the fact that Meowstic-M still does its job very well.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just realized Mr. Mime is criminally low. It is one of the strongest psychic types atm, a great cleaner, and has a STAB fairy move to deal easily with Dark pokemon. It fills a variety of niches, being able to run both choiced items and LO effectively, allowing it to act as a wall breaker, sweeper, or even a revenge killer. Its amazing typing along with respectably strong stats makes it a solid choice and warrants it at least a B- rating.
Honestly, I've been using Mr. Mime a lot since Sigilyph was banned, and it's altogether not a bad replacement. A little bit slower, a little bit weaker, and a little bit less bulk. It's like Sigilyph with a little bit more reasonable stats. B- rank is fine, but I think that it can go even higher.

Proposing Quilladin from C- to B

Quilladin is an underrated pokemon that works very well in this meta. With access to spikes, a phasing move, a form of recovery, and a great ability in bulletproof, Quilladin boasts a very nice niche on balanced or defensive teams. Quilladin is able to switch in safely against some of the top tier threats such as Feraligatr, Vileplume, Seismitoad, Haunter, Rhydon, Barbaracle, Mismagius, and Rotom. Heck, it could even switch into cb Sawk if it wanted to, unless Sawk gets 2 high damage rolls Quilladin is not going to die. It has great physical bulk, but knock off hampers Quilladin's ability to wall, although it is not completely useless without its eviolite. Personally, I think Quilladin fits the definition of A rank, but we'll start with baby steps. I mean, look at these calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 101-120 (30.9 - 36.8%) -- 58.5% chance to 3HKO -- YUM

+2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 153-181 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO -- GIVE ME MORE

252+ Atk Rhydon Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 144-170 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO -- YOU'RE RUNNING MEGAHORN...JUST FOR QUILLADIN CUZ IT'S A MONSTER

252+ Atk Rhydon Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 120-140 (36.8 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO -- NOT EVEN 5 HITS WILL SAVE YOU

252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 104-124 (31.9 - 38%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO -- .

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Quilladin is pretty cool, with Bulletproof giving it more switch-ins than it ordinarily would have (Vileplume and Haunter come to mind), and is certainly competent at setting up Spikes. Access to Roar and Synthesis distinguish itself from Ferroseed significantly. The issues I have with Quilladin is:

- lack of offensive presence. With Quilladin's only worthwhile attack being Seed Bomb, and it having 5 weaknesses, it tends to make a very easy switch-in to a lot of threats in the tier, though Quilladin can try to Roar them back out to take more damage from the hazards it places, so that is something.

- reliance on Eviolite for bulk. Quilladin finds itself exposed to Knock Offs a lot, making it an iffy switch into the likes of Fighting-types and Shiftry. I won't deny Quilladin's walling ability, but when compared to Pokemon such as Qwilfish (fellow Spike setter!) and Vileplume (especially Vileplume), which do not have their bulk screwed over that much upon losing their items, Quilladin's bulk isn't really too special. Even Ferroseed can fall back onto its numerous resistances to survive should it lose its Eviolite. Edit: Oh yeah Tangela exists.

- can't really do shit against any Defogger in the tier. Ferroseed at least has Thunder Wave to slow them down, making it harder for them to Defog. All Quilladin can try is Leech Seed, and even then it may not have space (Seed Bomb, Spikes, Synthesis, Roar), so almost any Defogger can switch-in and stop Quilladin cold.

Useful niche nonetheless, probably sits in B- right alongside Ferroseed, if not C+.

Last edited:
SWOOBAT IS GOOD TRUST ME

My name on Showdown NU is SLUMBER TIME BITCH. I think I'm pretty decent an nu. As of now I'm around 150-250 on the ladder. But anyway I have been successfully using a Swoobat in NU. I run a lead sash set with taunt, calm mind, psychic, and air slash. I know there are a lot of better options out there, but I believe this little guy at least deserves a mention in this thread, because he is viable. Anyway I'm new to posting on Smogon so I probably made some noob mistake somewhere, but I would recommend testing him. If you have any further questions I would prefer you message me on Showdown because I have no idea how to work Smogon.

Punchshroom

Swoobat hmm? Seems like it fits in the C or C- category. It can become pretty threatening after setting up, but it is so hard to find the time to safely set up and not get immediately killed afterward (essentially, just like Nasty Plot Mismagius). Swoobat is extremely frail physically, meaning any good physical hit (especially priority) will damage it irreparably, and it can't afford to invest into defenses without throwing away its only good stat in Speed. Most weak special attackers that Swoobat could set up on also like to carry status (or Knock Off), although Substitute (or in your case, Taunt) could help mitigate the status problem. But the real problem with Swoobat is that it must set up, and it (usually) only has one chance to do so. If it cannot, Swoobat's attacks will only mildly inconvenience at best (unboosted Stored Power lol). Looking at the Pokemon in the A Ranking, Swoobat does not safely set up on much at all without taking major damage (even from special attacks) or risking status, meaning it can get picked off by priority afterward. This means that Swoobat usually needs to OHKO every Pokemon on the opponent's team after it boosts. However, the fact that it can means it is noteworthy, but requires perfect setup conditions like endgame sweepers such as Linoone.

Quilladin doesn't really need an offensive presence when it has roar really, but wood hammer is arguably the better option instead of seed bomb. Even though Quilladin has base 61 HP stat, Quilladin also has reliable (I say reliable cuz rain isn't too popular right now, but I have seen it.) recovery in synthesis to heal itself. Quilladin does have some offensive presence though, there are a bunch of 4x weak to grass mons in the tier such as seismitoad, golem, and more that Quilladin scares out. I get it, Quilladin doesn't have the power to scare everything out, but why does it need to when it is setting up spikes?

4 Atk Quilladin Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Seismitoad: 540-636 (130.4 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I agree that Quilladin become a lot less bulky without eviolite, but it has about the same amount of bulk as vileplume without an eviolite (at least on the physical side). Honestly, what does switch safely in on shiftry?

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quilladin: 151-179 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 161-192 (45.4 - 54.2%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO

Now I agree a lot with your last point, Quilladin can't really do much to any flying type really (a majority of defoggers are flying type), but having them waste a turn to defog can be really beneficial and give you a free switch. And remember defog also gets rid of their hazards as well.

In a tier where seismitoad and vileplume are so common, I think Quilladin definitely has a spot for B rank.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Quilladin is pretty cool, with Bulletproof giving it more switch-ins than it ordinarily would have (Vileplume and Haunter come to mind), and is certainly competent at setting up Spikes. Access to Roar and Synthesis distinguish itself from Ferroseed significantly. The issues I have with Quilladin is:

- lack of offensive presence. With Quilladin's only worthwhile attack being Seed Bomb, and it having 5 weaknesses, it tends to make a very easy switch-in to a lot of threats in the tier, though Quilladin can try to Roar them back out to take more damage from the hazards it places, so that is something.

- reliance on Eviolite for bulk. Quilladin finds itself exposed to Knock Offs a lot, making it an iffy switch into the likes of Fighting-types and Shiftry. I won't deny Quilladin's walling ability, but when compared to Pokemon such as Qwilfish (fellow Spike setter!) and Vileplume (especially Vileplume), which do not have their bulk screwed over that much upon losing their items, Quilladin's bulk isn't really too special. Even Ferroseed can fall back onto its numerous resistances to survive should it lose its Eviolite.

- can't really do shit against any Defogger in the tier. Ferroseed at least has Thunder Wave to slow them down, making it harder for them to Defog. All Quilladin can try is Leech Seed, and even then it may not have space (Seed Bomb, Spikes, Synthesis, Roar), so almost any Defogger can switch-in and stop Quilladin cold.

Useful niche nonetheless, probably sits in B- right alongside Ferroseed, if not C+.
Um hello we have another eviolite grass type that is just as, if not more viable than both mentioned above
helo frens

As per usual, I'mma give a list of positives, then negatives about tangela.
Pros
-Excellent bulk with Eviolite
-Good typing allows it to counter a variety of physical attackers in NU, which include (but not limited to) Feraligatr, Stoutland, Barbaracle, Kingler, Rhydon, Poliwrath, seismitoad, Physical Carracosta...
-Excellent Ability in regenerator, allowing it to become a fantastic bulky pivot
-Respectable base 100 SAtk allows it to make a mark when it hits unlike quilladin, who has to use Wood hammer to do damage or rely on the piss-weak seed bomb, meaning +2 Feraligatr can actually beat it if it sets up
-Sleep Powder makes it annoying ah
-Reliable recovery in synthesis unlike the aforementioned ferroseed
-cuter than the other grasses, better posture and more rounded ball formation than quilladumb
Cons
-bad Sdef even with eviolite :[
-typing offers good resistances but also p bad weaknesses to common attacking types in the tier (fire, ice, flying)
-tbh i think this is a weaker argument but hurt by knock off buff (Tbh If you're switching eviolite mons into knock off in the first place ur doing it wrong)

I feel like tangles deserves a spot at least above quillading because it has more base positives than spike ball, as it's harder to wear down over time with regenerator, actually lives +4 Feraligatr's LO ice whatever and can come out of the battle relatively um...not dead.

Edit: it gets roar lol I'm dumb

Only downside is no spiky shield+spikes, but tbh ur better off using omastar, accelgor, or even roselia if you need a bulkier spikes user. Also literally the cutest thing in NU and Montsegur approves of this deserves a B/B+-Ranking :]

Last edited:
Palpitoad, thanks for the reminder. My elaboration is: Torterra has a good movepool to compliment its physical attack stat, which is pretty high. A trick room pokemon and a pokemon that resists ice can help it a lot, and I keep on forgetting bringing isn't in NU.
Still, that didn't answer my question entirely. What is Torterra supposed to do? What's its role? Why would I run it over something else? What is the purpose of Torterra? Is it a sweeper or a hazard setter? Also, good stats don't mean much if it doesn't have the typing or ability to back it up, and, I'll be honest, Torterra's ability sucks. It's slow speed doesn't help it in this offensive meta, and its weaknesses to ice, flying, and fire are everywhere. It's secondary typing does it no favors, as all it does is give it the ability to no longer counter water types as easily in exchange for an immunity it probably didn't even need.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Still, that didn't answer my question entirely. What is Torterra supposed to do? What's its role? Why would I run it over something else? What is the purpose of Torterra? Is it a sweeper or a hazard setter? Also, good stats don't mean much if it doesn't have the typing or ability to back it up, and, I'll be honest, Torterra's ability sucks. It's slow speed doesn't help it in this offensive meta, and its weaknesses to ice, flying, and fire are everywhere. It's secondary typing does it no favors, as all it does is give it the ability to no longer counter water types as easily in exchange for an immunity it probably didn't even need.
Well, i will say this, choice banded Torterra mess pokes up. And on top of that it has decent bulk which allow it to live a non SE move.
252+ Atk Choice Band Torterra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 190-225 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery And you outspeed on the second turn.

I'd like to nominate Miltank for C- or anything higher. Thick Fat is an obvious niche use, but Sap Sipper can be sneaky good and used to shut down potential set ups - Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, and leech seed all backfire when used against it. It has base 100 speed, which can be used to spread toxic/paralysis and set up rocks. It also has 95/105/70 defenses, which allow it to maneuver relatively freely while having only one type weakness. Its 80 base power allows for decent body slam/earth quake/ fire punch coverage, as well. Its a mixed bag of tricks, but is very usable in a variety of situations and more than just super niche. It has a 490 base stat total basically without a special attack stat, so its stats are actually quite decent. Not to mention it has both hp recovery and status removal abilities. It can be used however you want for whatever role, and it's difficult to predict what set any given Miltank might be using :)

As the guy above me said, Miltank should probably go up to C. She is the fastest cleric in the tier and it is a real pain to take her down with a more defensively oriented team thanks to the combination of high bulk and. self-healing capabilities, not to mention how easy it is to spread paralisys with Thunder Wave and that Speed. She has a fantastic ability poll as both Thick Fat and Sap Sipper are great abilities but she struggle against Ghost-type Pokemon (unless you run lolscrappy but then you are outclassed by kangaskhan) and doesn't have the greatest offensive presence so she is kinda forced to run Seismic Toss.

As the guy above me said, Miltank should probably go up to C. She is the fastest cleric in the tier and it is a real pain to take her down with a more defensively oriented team thanks to the combination of high bulk and. self-healing capabilities, not to mention how easy it is to spread paralisys with Thunder Wave and that Speed. She has a fantastic ability poll as both Thick Fat and Sap Sipper are great abilities but she struggle against Ghost-type Pokemon (unless you run lolscrappy but then you are outclassed by kangaskhan) and doesn't have the greatest offensive presence so she is kinda forced to run Seismic Toss.
Mismagius exists and learns Heal Bell from Gen V tutor.

It doesn't have self-healing properties outside of Pain Split, but if you look for that, Leavanny does and outspeeds most variants of Miltank (especially since Miltank rarely, if ever, runs maximum speed).
Not that Leavanny is a good cleric (Heal Bell = no Sticky Web), and Mismagius has better things to do too.

Misdreavus, however, will commonly outspeed uninvested Miltank and can also carry Heal Bell.

Since it doesn't appear to be on the list yet, I'd like to nominate Heatmor for B- or B. It's gained a lot of use this generation, as it's one of the few checks I could find to the Fire-types that now plague our tier (Flash Fire at the moment is a godsend). With a terrific movepool containing Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Giga Drain, Superpower, Focus Blast, etc., and excellent mixed attacking stats, it makes a pretty monstrous assault vest user that can be tailored to deal with whatever you want. This is the set I've been using:

Heatmor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Edit: AV Heatmor also acts as an acceptable check to special Sceptile and Accelgor, which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Since it doesn't appear to be on the list yet, I'd like to nominate Heatmor for B- or B. It's gained a lot of use this generation, as it's one of the few checks I could find to the Fire-types that now plague our tier (Flash Fire at the moment is a godsend). With a terrific movepool containing Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Giga Drain, Superpower, Focus Blast, etc., and excellent mixed attacking stats, it makes a pretty monstrous assault vest user that can be tailored to deal with whatever you want. This is the set I've been using:

Heatmor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 Atk / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Edit: AV Heatmor also acts as an acceptable check to special Sceptile and Accelgor, which is pretty cool.
To rank Heatmor alongside Magmortar is already iffy by itself, but you also have to compare Heatmor to other Fire-types. Heatmor's coverage is colorful, but otherwise isn't anything special; putting aside the fact that most Fire-types can easily afford HP Grass, but Simisear and Ninetales have Grass Knot and Energy Ball respectively, Simisear even getting Knock Off, Focus Blast, and Superpower etc.. With superior speed (and Nasty Plot in the case of Ninetales and Simisear), most Fire-types outdo Heatmor offensively, so one would not usually choose Heatmor as their offensive Fire-type of choice, who has to rely on Sucker Punch against the numerous amounts of Pokemon that outspeed it.

So let's take this Heatmor right here, which claims it can check Fire-types. However, Heatmor cannot really do too much in return as unSTABed Knock Off + Sucker Punch isn't going to be doing enough, unlike say, Hariyama or Dragalge or other such Fire-type stops. This Heatmor is also solidly 2HKOed by LO Pyroar's Hyper Voice, and flat out loses to Earthquake Magmortar. So Heatmor can only claim to deter Fire spam, but doesn't actually beat Fire-types effectively. One would have to go pretty out of their way to consider Heatmor for their team over other Fire-type checks; heck, Lampent might probably do better at Heatmor at checking Fires (as well as the aforementioned Sceptile and Accelgor), due to its Normal and Fighting immunity and effective STAB with which to strike them with.

So far all Heatmor has going for it is a Fire immunity + Knock Off (not even a strong one), which isn't particularly a sought-after niche, but it still faces serious competition with other Fire checks that have Knock Off, such as Thick Fat Hariyama and Seismitoad, and usually access to (weak) Knock Off is not worth giving up much more consistent Fire checks. It was outclassed last generation, and it still is today. I am even skeptical at placing it in D atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)