Status
Not open for further replies.

QC Checks: --- / --- / ---
GP Checks: --- / ---
This guy wants Knock Off

taken over for Stinson, a fellow HIMYM fan

Overview
########
  • Stunky has a great typing, just the one weakness. It is also a dark type not weak to bug, fairy or fighting which makes it even more exceptional. Not to mention it is a poison type with a psychic immunity.
  • Frail without investment and Eviolite
  • Meh abilities
  • Mediocre offensive stats. This poses a problem if Stunky gets burned by Misdreavus.
  • 18 speed lets it outspeed a majority of the tier, although it misses out on 19 speed pokemon.
  • Suboptimal physical STAB, no access to knock off, gunk shot or poison jab
  • Competition from Pawniard and Houndour as a trapper, who posses superior power and arguably better stabs.
  • Defog set faces competition from Vullaby who has far better bulk, reliable recovery, and a better way to handle fighting-types.

Trapper
########
name: Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Fire Blast / Taunt / Explosion
ability: Aftermath
item: Life Orb
evs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
nature: Hasty

Moves
========
  • Pursuit lets you trap Pokemon that are weak to the move and Pokemon with poor physical defense, like Misdreavus, Chinchou, and Abra.
  • Sludge bomb is a solid STAB move, and can hit spritzee and other fairies. With Stealth Rock and 2 layers of spikes it can 2HKO speedy Eviolite Mienfoo, although that many entry hazards can be a little difficult to get up and keep up.
  • Sucker Punch is another STAB which is used to hit faster opponents such as Abra or choice scarf users, although with Stunky's high speed it isn't that necessary.
  • Fire Blast is good for coverage on steel types like pawniard who wall you otherwise
  • Taunt prevents setup from key Pokemon such as Ferroseed, Dwebble, and Scraggy
  • Explosion can be nice when life orb has worn stunky down a bit and a big hit is necessary

Set Details
========
  • EVs are standard for an offensive set, maxing Stunky's speed and power
  • Hasty nature boosts speed and doesn't sacrifice power on either side
  • Aftermath is useful for residual damage if Stunky gets knocked out
  • life orb is the chosen item due to Stunky's lack of power

Usage Tips
========
  • There isn't a great deal to put here, besides be wise with stunky. It is imperative that you make sure stunky can outspeed something, and that he can actually significantly harm a pokemon. Stunky's SpA is still relatively low, and the boost from life orb doesn't entirely compensate for the residual damage. It is easy to find Stunky fainting very quickly if you aren't careful about leaving him in.
  • On the flipside, it is actually very easy to switch stunky in due to his decent bulk and great typing.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Misdreavus and Fairy-types work well. This includes Meditite, Scraggy, and Rapid Spin users, namely Drilbur and Staryu.
  • Spritzee or another wish passer can make up for the residual damage
  • Stunkys only weakness being ground, it is handy to have a flying type or levitate user like Murkrow or Misdreavus

Defog
########
name: Physical + Utility
move 1: Defog
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Sucker Punch
ability: Aftermath
item: Eviolite
evs: 92 Atk / 220 Def / 188 SDef
nature: Careful

Moves
========
  • Due to the buff, Defog is a great new toy for stunky this gen. It allows him too remove hazards to lessen residual damage for the rest of your team, making stunky and useful support mon
  • Toxic is great for residual damage
  • Pursuit for trapping opponents when they are stalled and/or taunted
  • Sucker Punch is STAB and priority, letting you hit faster foes.

Set Details
========
  • The given spread gives Stunky a respectable 22 / 21 / 21 after Eviolite, and the rest is thrown into Attack for a boost in power.
  • Aftermath is the chosen ability, since there really isn't a better option and the residual damage can be useful

Usage Tips
========
  • be smart with the attacks, taunt will either force a switch or make them use a damaging move, and knowing when to use what depending on what mon they have in.
  • when planning to use toxic, this is pretty predictable on stunky, so predicting a switch and using taunt instead can always be handy, but if they have no steel or poison, (not uncommon in LC), toxic should be fine always.
  • Stunky is really easy to switch in, try to predict a psychic attack by using lures such as mienfoo.

Team Options
========
  • Teammates that appreciate the removal of hazards work well. This includes Sturdy abusers, Larvesta, and Fletchling.
  • Teammates that can handle Drilbur and other ground types are appreciated. Grass-types like Cottonee and Foongus work well.

Other Options
########
  • Stunky has hone claws for physical set up
  • Access to roar for a phasing stall team
  • Sunny day / rain dance support
  • Night slash could be used for a gimmicky stunkrit set.
  • Stunky can run lum berry to prevent status crippling it
  • Crunch is another strong STAB for stunky, but he enjoys trapping and having priority with sucker punch

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-types**: Drilbur and other Ground-types can take Stunky's attacks and KO with their STAB.

**Fighting-types**: Mienfoo and Timburr can 2HKO Stunky's LO set with Drain Punch. Scraggy can easily setup and KO with Drain Punch or High Jump Kick.

**Steel-types**: Pawniard can switch in on Defog and actiate Defiant, then KO Stunky with Iron Head and sweep, but dislikes Fire Blast. Ferroseed takes little damage from any of Stunky's attacks bar Fire Blast and can set up hazards and Leech Seed Stunky.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy types wall any set lacking Poison STAB. Cottonee, Spritzee, and Snubbull are good examples.

Last edited:
I'm going to spend some time working on this to make sure the formatting is correct and change a lot of the details to ensure they are relevant. For now I'm not accepting QC checks.

alright so I'm pretty sure this is ready for QC. I've basically reworded stuff in various sections, expanded on the overview, revamped C&C, and worked on team options. Some proposed changes:
  • Removing Toxic from the Defog set and replacing it with Fire Blast. Toxic is really not great in LC, and the ability to hit Pawniard on a Defog set is notable. It also hits Ferroseed who kinda hard walls you otherwise.
  • Relegating Taunt and Explosion on the first set to a mention in the moves section. I don't really see a ton of use in them, and Play Rough and Fire Blast are important coverage moves.
  • Replace the current defog set with an offensive variant. Basically Vullaby is a better defensive defogger by far, plus this would allow Stunky to take advantage of its high speed.
Once this is resolved I'll fix the usage tips.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Remove mentions of Meditite and Murkrow

Um I guess you could mention Berry Juice in the Trapper set. Stunky appreciates recovery, and seeing as it will often be switching in on things like Stealth Rock, and Misdreavus' Shadow Balls, the extra recoil doesn't help as much.

I would also mention more about how Stunky competes for a slot for multiple roles, such as Croagunk or Vullaby (already mentiond but just an example). It's a fairly weak mixed attacker, even being outdamaged by Houndour. This is why i think Berry Juice should be the preferred item.

Mention Haze in OO, and possibly even a slash over Toxic on the support set, but I'll leave that to other QC members / after more testing. Same with Memento (I mean, where can a Pokemon go wrong with Memento?)

After these QC 1/3

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
This isn't a QC check just yet, but I just want this analysis to not mislead players into thinking Stunky is a good switch-in to Misdreavus just because it resists Shadow Ball and isn't weak to its other moves. Stunky switches in and then gets burned, and then it becomes dead weight unless you specifically take the precious time to provide it support with Aromatherapy and Wish. It's more trouble than it's worth if you're going to use Stunky for that.

I can't tell you how many players were misled in the past by thinking Stunky made a good Missy switch-in. Please emphasize that it isn't in this analysis for the above reasoning.

Quite a few things you really need to change trust me. Your "trapper" set is good, but it's really not the trapping set it's the offensive one, and should be named "Mixed Offensive" or something along the lines of that.
The more important thing though is your "defog" set is WRONGWRONGWRONG!
I credit myself as the master of stunky, pardon my arrogance, and the set that should be named "Trapper" is as follows and is the stunky i have been using for over 2 years now! (exept in xy fire blast got switched to defog)

Stunky @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
Level: 5
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 Def / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch / Play Rough
- Defog / Fire Blast

^This is the set you should really name "Trapper". You can keep your defog set if you really want, but please man you HAVE to add this set. It's the best stunky set imho.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
If someone wants to pick this analysis up, they should post saying so. I won't remove this thread until another writer has gotten permission to post and has posted a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)