The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if the lavabending guy could produce fire independently then they wouldn't keep him in a wooden cell. his powers are obviously earth-based with a small fire component, not vice-versa
Right, though I'm not sure how the bending techs reflect on other things. You'd assume and that earth would be wood with water techs with earth and earth would bend lava with fire techs.

EDIT:

Though I think wood is a water dominant bending trait.

Last edited:

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Lava bending would be more earth bending. Since it's heated rocks, you'd need to control the rocks. Maybe he makes lava using friction to a high source to heat the rocks to an un-comparable end.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I think it's been made clear that water benders generally associate with the cold. In Water-bender lady's case, she's able to heat/melt water at will which is mostly obvious thanks to her display in Ep3. No other water bender has really shown that kind of skill in the series (at least if I recall correctly), not even Katara. This makes me expect that she will be an extremely formidable opponent. I'm not sure if she can blood bend, since a)that gimmick was used in Season 1, and b)she doesn't have hands to properly blood bend with.

So I doubt that we will be seeing "wood bending" as an extension of water bending in the very near future (as much as I think that would be cool).

katara used a form of steam / mist bending as the painted lady back in ATLA while korra used a version of steambending against amon in S1

also we saw the swamp guys back in ATLA use waterbending to control vegetation, although applying this to wood is more of a stretch

while this chart is definitely great it still doesn't address the point of the argument and isn't fully accurate either

combustion man was obviously not an airbender; likewise, the benders in the swamp were not earthbenders. the figure implies that knowing how to bend two elements lets you combine them like magic users in runescape 2006

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
while this chart is definitely great it still doesn't address the point of the argument and isn't fully accurate either

combustion man was obviously not an airbender; likewise, the benders in the swamp were not earthbenders. the figure implies that knowing how to bend two elements lets you combine them like magic users in runescape 2006
Maybe it is not a mix of both. Yet more of a connection to the other elements. So if you can do one of those elements, you can mix in elements of the other element to create the combined elements. So how an airbender an make snow using cold air, or how a waterbender can make snow by cooling the water to a level above freezing, yet below melting.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
suiton is a component of mokuton, learn your kekkei genkai or they wont even let you become a tokebetsu jounin, let alone a real one

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By adding another element to their given element I mean using water bending forms with fire redirects lightning.

I've always just assumed mastering the different forms added another depth to your bending. Such as lava or plants. The Swamp people iirc didn't use a normal water bending stance.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't think it works that way, I think that the "advanced" forms of bending are more like specializations than assimilating other bending styles. the movements for bending lava for example don't resemble firebending at all, they're just as rigid as normal earthbending. redirecting lightning being based on waterbending is sort of an exception, but not really because the form actually derives from waterbending for a reason, namely because waterbending's main focus is redirection. advanced bending forms don't generally follow this trend though. metal and lightningbending are both just more powerful versions of their base styles, while blood and plantbending are just extrapolations of waterbending's "control" vibe. and on that chart, combustion is about as un-airbending as it gets lol...you just stand in one spot and explode shit as opposed to airbending's evasive nature.

also re:waterbenders heating water, it's been established since last airbender that waterbenders can change the state of their element at will. pulling water from the air is condensing it from gas to liquid and we've seen waterbenders freeze and melt water countless times (if you can't recall an example, review the azula/katara fight's conclusion)

also re:waterbenders heating water, it's been established since last airbender that waterbenders can change the state of their element at will. pulling water from the air is condensing it from gas to liquid and we've seen waterbenders freeze and melt water countless times (if you can't recall an example, review the azula/katara fight's conclusion)
So couldn't earthbenders do the same with the state of rock? Therefore lava bending is maybe just a more underused part of earthbending.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Good catch. I totally spaced out and forgot about that when I was typing up my post.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
They eventually died out. There are definitely some, yet it would be near close to being empty. I won't expect them any time soon.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I finally got around to watching these episodes. I didn't even know they were premiering last week until my brother told me...very abrupt premiere I feel like. I think this is why it only got about 1.5 million viewers according to Wikipedia, which is about half of the other seasons. But anyway, the show is great so far, I think this season is way better than season 2. The new characters are great and the pacing is much better. The bridge scene in the first episode was one of my favorites. They (of course) didn't outright say it, but it was very reminiscent of those interrupted jumper suicide scenes from other shows and movies.

I also really like the way they handled Team Avatar trying to recruit Airbenders. It's not exactly easy to get someone to change their entire way of life just because someone they don't even know told them to, as most religious missionaries know. I'm glad the show realized that too and also touched on whether or not these new benders actually really had any obligation to rebuild the almost extinct Airbending culture.

As for the characters, Korra still has a hot temper but for the most part seems like she has finally matured, rather than being reset like last season. The Mako/Korra scenes are super awkward and painful to watch but at least they're broken up (hopefully for good). However, the Mako and Bolin scenes are great. Bolin is the best character, he is hilarious and I strive to be like him in every aspect of my daily life. Kai is interesting, as are the theories about if he is related to Sokka or The Duke or something. Personally, I'm just glad that little shithead got what he deserved by the Dai Li (Yea I'm rooting for the bad guys).

I'm hoping the Earth Queen and the Dai Li turn out to be true villains, that is, stay villains even when the new super-benders arrive. It'll be interesting for them to go against each other as well as Team Avatar.

P.S. this is totally unrelated but I really want a Legend of Korra and Godzilla crossover

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)