XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Cune should either stay A or go A+ as it fares well in the blissey meta, where Toxic is a common means of dealing with 'mons. Yeah CM Bro beats it, but there's so many options to pair with Cune to thrash Bro. CB Hera, Mega Absol, NP Ape, Hydreigon, even just Blissey herself suffices. It has a really underrated 90 base speed as a wall, meaning it can get threaten to get a faster rest off on pretty much any wall that isn't a Pixie, allowing it to threaten a rest even in the red health bar region. Also Mola is on the rise, which Cune sets up on, unlike Bro, who has to switch out

i think umb should move down to a-. It's kinda outclassed in most roles that it had before, now that blissey has arrived to pretty much outclass it as a nido switchin, special wall and wish passer, and aromatisse and to a lesser extent alomomola are on the rise so that it's not as much of the mixed wall it used to be. there's also the fact that luke and nape make its life total hell.however the main niche of umb that makes it worth using that it has over the aformentioned walls is that it covers a much wider portion of the metagame than the aformentioned walls with foul play, i.e. chandy, rachi, there are some others that i'm forgetting. there's also the fact that it assrapes non cm variants of zam (well, unless they're running LO and focus blast or some shit). I think it's fine in A-.

I'm not going to rehash what everyone else has said on cune but I think it should still stay A for the fact that most of its answers that were so common before have kinda dropped in viability and usage due to the new drops.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Suicune should at the very least stay in A rank and I certainly don't mind seeing it in A+ rank either. Simply put, the metagame's shifts have not impacted it negatively as it now has a larger list of 'mons that it can effectively check, like Blissey and ScarfApe, while the UU --> OU shifts have greatly assisted in pushing Suicune's already excellent presence in this metagame to another stage in this metagame.
Umbreon... I just don't know since I haven't seen this in a long while (mebbe I just need to fool around with my alts more), especially in the 1500+ Elo zone. What I'm certain of, though, is the fact that the drops, especially Luke and Ape, have really hampered Umbreon's ability to fulfill its medic role, unlike the Fairies and Alomomola, who have actually fared decently with the drops. Although Umbreon still has its advantages over the other medics, whether it'd be its mixed bulk, Baton Pass, Foul Play coverage, or whatever I'm missing, it is no longer worthy of staying in A rank unlike Florges and should drop to maybe B+ rank.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Suicune should at the very least stay in A rank and I certainly don't mind seeing it in A+ rank either. Simply put, the metagame's shifts have not impacted it negatively as it now has a larger list of 'mons that it can effectively check, like Blissey and ScarfApe, while the UU --> OU shifts have greatly assisted in pushing Suicune's already excellent presence in this metagame to another stage in this metagame.
Umbreon... I just don't know since I haven't seen this in a long while (mebbe I just need to fool around with my alts more), especially in the 1500+ Elo zone. What I'm certain of, though, is the fact that the drops, especially Luke and Ape, have really hampered Umbreon's ability to fulfill its medic role, unlike the Fairies and Alomomola, who have actually fared decently with the drops. Although Umbreon still has its advantages over the other medics, whether it'd be its mixed bulk, Baton Pass, Foul Play coverage, or whatever I'm missing, it is no longer worthy of staying in A rank unlike Florges and should drop to maybe B+ rank.
Perfect. Nice to see you post by the way.

Suicune is staying at A rank, while Umbreon is moving down to B+ rank. The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Mega Absol and Mega Aggron.

dingbat

snek
Mega Aggron for A- rank and mega Absol for A-/A rank. Will elaborate on mah 100th post tomorrow morning unless limitless makes his ninja speed verdicts

Time to throw in my two cents on these two Hoenn Megas.

Mega Absol (A-) -> B+ | Mega Absol has been hurt badly by the June drops, especially Luke 'n Ape. Lucario has Justified to bolster its own Attack if it switches into a predicted Dark-type move, while Infernape even resists its coverage move Fire Blast. Shouldn't go without saying their priority really fucks Mega Absol over: Luke's Extreme Speed or Vacuum Wave and Ape's Mach Punch all badly hurt this thing. Alakazam outspeeds and Sash variants pretty much always win if using Dazzling Gleam or Focus Blast. However, it can deal with Blissey quite well, as it can even set up on the blob.
Overall, I feel like Mega Absol has severely dropped in effectiveness since the June drops, so Mega Absol for B+.

Mega Aggron (A-) -> Keep in A-
| Despite some new special attackers having joined the tier, the welcoming of Blissey to UU and the rise in Alomomola are two factors that contribute to Mega Aggron remaining the physical fortress it's known to be. Both Blissey and Alomomola can pass their gigantic Wishes to Mega Aggron, who lacks reliable recovery itself and therefore relies on these pink blobs to heal it. Aside from that enormous 230 Defense, Mega Aggron isn't a sitting duck, as with its 140 Attack, it can definitely dish out some nice damage with Iron Head and Earthquake. The influx of special and mixed attackers such as Alakazam, Infernape and Lucario does hurt the iron colossus, but not to the extent its viability has decreased. Mega Aggron should stay A-.

Mega Absol to be B+. my reasoning for this is rather simple, June wasn't it's month at all with Infernape, who resists everything Absol can throw at it, Lucario, who needs to be weary of fire blast but can come in on knockoff and get a free attack boost which is the last thing you want, and whilst it gets a new pink blob to set up on there are still things in the tier that just hinder Absol's usefulness as there is still Hydriegon which resists everything MegaAbsol has if it' not running superpower. So Mega Absol should be B+rank as it can still tear appart the UU tier when allowed to it's just been made harder to do with the June drops.

Mega Absol should stay A- simply for the fact that it can easily switch in and set up on Blissey, the only drop that poses a problem for it is Infernape as it can revenge kill it. (Lucario is slower and cannot even switch in safely due to Superpower)
Also, Absol is one of the few physical attackers in the tier that can beat Slowbro 1V1 so that's a plus... I would argue for it to be A rank but I feel that that's me being a little bit biased since I use it on nearly all my teams.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
lol what?

mega absol is A at minimum. even A+ is acceptable. as a sweeper its pretty close to flawless--strong as fuck, immune to twave/wow, can cripple the hell out of its checks throughout the early game with knock off, and has one of the strongest priority moves in the game to sweep. with the prominence of knock off in the metagame, its super easy to switch it into one, then mevo and SD and get to +3. good luck stopping it then. switching scarfers into it isn't even an option because of knock off. its definitely the most dangerous sweeper in the tier--albeit slightly less consistent than lucario and infernape.

its only downsides as a sweeper are scarf-hydra's prominence (which is honestly /because/ absol is so dangerous) and the fact that it gets "walled" by fairies.

not to mention it can go mixed/special--not that it's a good idea in general but the option is there.

mega aggron on the other hand, is complete garbo. idk what it is because it seems ok on paper, but it never pulls its massive weight in practice.

Limitless

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Absol is moving up to A rank for reasons already mentioned. Mega Aggron is moving up to A rank due to walling the two flavor of the month Pokemon (Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Absol). It's also decent in defensive cores, despite my earlier slams on it. I'm also moving Florges down to A- rank, as it is outclassed by a lot of Pokemon. The only niche it has is being somewhat fine against CB Heracross, while also serving as a counter to Hydreigon.

The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Alomomola and Mega Ampharos.

In my opinion Alomomola is a very good pokemon in UU. It can use Regenerator to pivot around things like Flygon, Victini or Infernape, and it passes giant Wishes to anything you want. It's not that great of a pokemon on its own, but the support it provides to its team is invaluable. I think it's fine in its current rank (A-).

MegaAmpharos should be A Rank in my opinion. This thing is such a good pivot, it's typing Electric/Dragon gives it alot of common resistances, it has a great special defense stat so no investment is required, therefore you can make it physically defensive and turn it into a great mixed wall. However it also has great offensive prowess which allows it to be an offensive mega.

momo is fine where it is atm, between his good support movepool (knock off, scald, huge wishes), good ability that allows it to support both itself and its teammates, and his decent physical bulk where he can take a few hits. a- seems okayish enough considering his rather meh special bulk

kai pretty much mentioned what i have to say with sheep, though it could stand to move to a+ if big bird stays in the tier (haha, nope)

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Jeez I'm glad you didn't listen to those people saying to move Mega Absol down, as it's definitely A rank worthy. Pretty much any offensive team without hard hitting priority or Scarf Krook/Hydrei gets straight up wrecked if MAbsol gets a SD, and even then, those get pretty damn hard, and can even be bypassed if Absol is alongside another priority user, of which we have plenty of options now. Just look at how hard it hits common Pokemon that outspeed it, with the first four being common scarfers. The calcs are in order of least damage to most damage.

+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 159-187 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 174-206 (52.4 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 192-227 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 219-258 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 318-375 (102.2 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 333-393 (110.2 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyways, back to the current discussion. I've been using Mola and I'd have to say it's probably fine at A-. Thanks to its Pure Water-typing, it can take a hit from a lot things that would make Slowbro keel over that I mentioned back when Suicune was being ranked as well as having Protect to scout U-turn from Hydreigon, something Slowbro can't pull off. At the same time, it has the flexibility of Regenerator, allowing it to bounce back from Bolt Strike, and even Trick, something Suicune can only dream of. However, Alomomola can't beat Suicune while Slowbro can, meaning you need to have another endgame answer for the dog, which makes your team more constricted. In addition, its Scald is much weaker than both of them, making it prone to being set up bait for Substitute users, which are on the rise, as well as being unable to snag some important 2HKOs on frail shit that both Slowbro and Suicune can (MAbsol, Luke). Altogether it's fine in either A- or A, but I'm leaning more toward A-

dingbat

snek
Alomo(momomo)mola aka the Sunfish should stay A- rank. Stall has finally been engraved into this metagame now that Blissey is in this tier, and although this thing faces a ton of competition with Slowbro/Suicune as a [physically] bulky water type, Sunfish plays more of a support role as opposed to the other two, and when grouped up with Blissey and/or whatever, it creates a pretty annoying stall core and even frees up the burden of WishPassing from Blissey, which is pretty neat.
I'm not sure whether Mega Ampharos should move up to A rank or stay in A- rank, because I definitely know that it's capable of pulling its weight in this current metagame at least as well as the other A- 'mons in this tier. I feel that its RestTalk + 2 Attacks set has best allowed Mega Ampharos to take advantage of its mixed (cottony) bulk as well as its base 165 Special Attack in this current meta as it allows it to check a huge portion of this meta while being able to extend its longevity. But I have never looked closely into Mega Ampharos, so I don't truly recognize which sets are most affecting of its viability at this moment...

Also, nominating my graduation cap below for S rank (mebbe F----------- rank if you guys believe this might be cancerous or something :p) since I'm so original :]

Limitless

Mega Ampharos is staying at A- rank, while Alomomola is moving up to A rank. I'm also moving Mega Aggron back down to A- rank.

The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Arcanine and Aromatisse.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Aroma for A:

it distinctly outclasses florges due to its higher physical bulk as the special tankiness isn't really needed now that blissey is in the tier. has a much better ability which more than accounts for the lower speed and marginally lower SpA. works great with blissey as a full cleric or as a cm poke.

meru is finally vindicated

Aroma: A
Arcanine: B+

As Kitten mentioned, Aromatisse is definitely better than Florges. In a meta where Blissey is the figurehead of stall/Defensive cores, Aromatisse is probably the fatass' best partner. Furthermore, Aromatisse's has more well-rounded defenses than Florges, which means it doesn't really just crumple at the sight of a Special Attack just as Florges would do with Physical attacks. However, outside of that, Aromatisse isn't anything special.

Arcanine is kind of a gray area for me. I can definitely say that Arcanine serves as a reliable check to Infernape and some other up-and-coming Physical/Mixed Attackers thanks to Intimidate, but with Stealth Rock being a prevalent thing that role is kind of diminished. Many Fire-types, such as Infernape and Victini, are much better picks than Arcanine for a Fire-type or even Mixed attacker. Furthermore, he sits in an unfortunate speed tier where a lot of UU wallbreakers and sweepers can deal with him very easily, such as Infernape and Hydreigon, especially since most Arcanines don't go + Spe or even max EVs for that matter. He definitely has a good niche as a strong bulky offensive pivot with good all-around stats. I'll probably expand more on this later. It's July 4th and I'm schwasted.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Aroma should be A and florges should be A-. Aroma has better defence and a better ability, much more useful in this meta. Aroma is great and definately A worthy.

Also arc should be B. Its more comparable to something like goodra. Good defences and checks pokemon its supposed to, but has crippling flaws that mean it needs quite a lot of support and is somewhat outclassed as a fire check by things like slowbro, like goodra is somewhat outclassed as a special wall by blissey.

I woudn't rank it above Florges. Florges can still pull her own weight as a fantastic speicall wall/cleric/somewhat mixed wall, and is rather easily added to many teams without any support or core partners as she is the one supporting and she does that much better than Aroma. Aroma outclasses the flower as a partner to Blissey but I don't think it's enough to completely overshadow Florges. I'd put Aroma, tops, at the same rank as Florges - A-.

I think it should be higher than B, probably B+ or A- since due to Intimidate and Morning Sun (also acess to Will-o-Wisp), it is capable of acting a defensive role sponging hits from the rampaging fire types and due to fantastic priority in Espeed and bunch of excellent coverage in Close Combat/Crunch/Wild Charge, it is more than capable of pulling it's own weight offensivly as well.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Aromatisse should be ranked above Florges either. Aromatisse is definitely better than it was last meta since it forms a fabulous defensive core with Blissey (and as such I think it is fine where it is at A-), but I wouldn't say it's better than Florges, as Florges is still much better than Aromatisse as a standalone pivot on bulky offensive teams which can't afford team slots to run defensive cores and benefit from its speed, better offensive presence, and better mixed durability in comparison to both Aromatisse and Blissey. Aromatisse's far inferior special bulk comes into practice against one of the most troubling special sweepers in the meta, NP Infernape, as well as lesser (but still dangerous) threats like Shaymin / special Lucario / Mega Ampharos / LO Starmie / Mismagius / CM Virizion.

Arcanine is B+ at best imo as its offensive set faces severe competition and it doesn't even have monopoly over Extremespeeding Fire type anymore since Entei does that too, and with a better STAB. It is the best defensive fire-type in the tier, but it's extremely limited by residual damage (especially if it uses Rocky Helmet) as well as by a shallow supporting movepool, which is pretty much just wow + roar.

Limitless

Aromatisse is moving up to A rank, while Arcanine is moving down to B+ rank.

The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Azelf and Mega Blastoise.

Blastoise should go back to A+. Its really good at keeping hazards off the field and nuking the shit out of the opposition with its excellent coverage coming off 135 sp atk plus mega launcher boosts. Even umbreon is 2hkoed by aura sphere while possible scald burns+hazards+aura sphere will put pressure on blissey, not to mention the fact that dark pulse wrecks even sp def mew. As one can see, theres very little that can safely switch in blastoise, and even fewer can directly threaten it due to its massive bulk and solid water typing. Blastoise is the definition of consistency, no team is safe against it as it can easily ko a large part of the tier or cripple the ones it cant with a burn while protecting its team from hazards (nothing can spinblock this thing).

not much has changed for Blastoise. Sure, none of the drops w.ants to switch into it but without any kind of recovery and being really slow makes it easy to wear down.
To show what exactly that means, Mega-Blastoise as a spinner has always to come in and take Spikes and Stealth Rock damage and tank another hit from an opposing mon, unless it is something slower. At this point, your opponent might be forced to switch out and you get a rapid spin off, but what if he does get his hazards out again? No reliable recovery, no speed, no passive recovery and priority in aqua jet is not really that good.
I would keep Mega-Blastoise A- simply because as an offensive pokemon it is still punching holes into opposing teams thanks to its high base 135 special attack and great coverage boosted by mega launcher.

On Azelf I have barely any experience. But I believe that it can still take on of most of the drops thanks to hits insane coverage moves creating momentum through offensive pressure to set up rocks or through u-turn.
The Suicide Lead set can still explode on a Defoger or Rapid Spinner to prevent the hazards to be removed...unless they are faster.
I could see it rise to A Ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)