Alkaios' art thread

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Really liking your in-depth study of Charizard. Practise makes perfect, and that knowledge will help with other reptilian mons as well. One thing you could keep in mind though is to avoid making its arms all stick-like. Limbs are rarely equally wide along their entire length, and arms are certainly no exception, where they're usually thicker at their shoulders and then thing down towards the wrists.

Either way, things are looking good! Keep it up!

Really liking your in-depth study of Charizard. Practise makes perfect, and that knowledge will help with other reptilian mons as well. One thing you could keep in mind though is to avoid making its arms all stick-like. Limbs are rarely equally wide along their entire length, and arms are certainly no exception, where they're usually thicker at their shoulders and then thing down towards the wrists.

Either way, things are looking good! Keep it up!
Thanks for pointing that out Bummer, I wasn't paying attention to charizard's shoulders and arms, they look so thin. Well, I tried to improve it a little bit by doing more drawings with better proportions and also more challenging poses, though there are a few mistakes I've done. I think the last one looks too weird, I used a picture from smash bros wii u as reference and I couldn't capture the movement of charizard in that picture, he looks like he has no neck. At least I'm improving my strokes and each time I draw is easier and I need to erase less. Also I have to figure out how to paint his feets and knees in any direction because it looks so weird right now in some poses.

I'll continue working on charizard for a while and then I'll switch to other mons, if anyone got requests don't be afraid to asks for anything! just don't expect too much, but hey, it's free

I was wondering if you could make me a 1920x1080 wallpaper of Greninja hanging itself by it's tongue. I don't mean hanging in a playful manner either. I mean hanging as in the act of committing suicide.
Preferably off a tree, with a full moon in the top right.

Thank you in advance :)

I was wondering if you could make me a 1920x1080 wallpaper of Greninja hanging itself by it's tongue. I don't mean hanging in a playful manner either. I mean hanging as in the act of committing suicide.
Preferably off a tree, with a full moon in the top right.

Thank you in advance :)
I did my best, hope you like it

Last edited:
Sure, I'm working on it, but I'm not having very much time to draw these days so I don't know when I'm gonna finish. I'll show you a WIP, I leave May for the end because I've never drawn a human in manga style so I don't know yet how I'm gonna do it. For now this is what I have (with the sketch at low opacity so you can see how it's gonna be when finished):

I'm trying to use little lines so I can be more accurate, and I'll try to add some shadows and lights this time around. Do you want a landscape or something at the background or just the mons and May with a white background?

Sure, I'm working on it, but I'm not having very much time to draw these days so I don't know when I'm gonna finish. I'll show you a WIP, I leave May for the end because I've never drawn a human in manga style so I don't know yet how I'm gonna do it. For now this is what I have (with the sketch at low opacity so you can see how it's gonna be when finished):

I'm trying to use little lines so I can be more accurate, and I'll try to add some shadows and lights this time around. Do you want a landscape or something at the background or just the mons and May with a white background?
Looks great so far! Maybe a battle arena or something?

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
Would you by any chance be interested in making Logo's for Various Tournaments in the TCG room on PS!? If so please PM me.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Shit. I really like it. :o

Megazard X looks incredible.

The greninja in the tree is also fabulous.

I love the style you use to draw fire/etc.

The style in general, actually.

I would be careful about backgrounds, though. The gradient background works fantastic for char x because it emulates a sky and because char x doesn't really have an outline since it's black, and a simple bg accentuates that.

For salamence, though, I think it really detracts. I didn't even realize that I like the salamence pic until I scrolled back up and looked at it long enough for my eyes to move away from the intrusive bg. It also takes away from any depth. On salamence in particular, it would look great with more sophisticated shading (maybe block if you're looking for something simpler?)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I did my best, hope you like it

This is overall a really good piece. Greninja looks a bit too scrawny, despite its thin build (although dehydration can do that), and the highlights on its innermost white pads aren't necessary as they're turned away from the moon. What I absolutely LOVE is the lighting. You nailed the night sky, and the sharp contrast between the moonlight against the shaded wood on the tree is well executed, as well as the trails of the bark.

Amazing! Thank you!!

EDIT: Could I get another one, of the pokemon in my sig, 1920x1080, all crowding around May?
I don't usually intervene with user requests, particularly when the artist has already begun working on it, but I'd like to make two things clear:

1) When you receive the completed image of a request you made, I find it to be considerably rude to immediately request another, particularly so in the very same post you used to thank them. Even if you are grateful, you give the impression that you're just using them to serve your own purposes.

2) Drawing a full team along with a trainer is a huge request. Even when we illustrate stuff for articles or whatnot, we rarely go beyond three Pokemon in the same image, and requests for complete teams are otherwise something that you'd usually need to commission an artist for, as the image is only applicable to yourself. So even though Alkaios was open for requests, this is something that even our veteran artists need to put large effort into, and not something to casually ask for.

Alkaios gets to decide on his/her own on how to progress with this, but I felt the need to adress this properly.

Looks great so far! Maybe a battle arena or something?
Ok, I’ll try and see what comes out

Would you by any chance be interested in making Logo's for Various Tournaments in the TCG room on PS!? If so please PM me.
Well I don’t know what to say, I’d like to do it but I’m currently a beginner so I don’t think I’m good enough to do that, it’s really my first time at drawing many things. I can try though, but first I’ll have to finish the other drawing and see when I have time. Also, how many logos would they be? I’ll send you a PM.

Shit. I really like it. :o

Megazard X looks incredible.

The greninja in the tree is also fabulous.

I love the style you use to draw fire/etc.

The style in general, actually.

I would be careful about backgrounds, though. The gradient background works fantastic for char x because it emulates a sky and because char x doesn't really have an outline since it's black, and a simple bg accentuates that.

For salamence, though, I think it really detracts. I didn't even realize that I like the salamence pic until I scrolled back up and looked at it long enough for my eyes to move away from the intrusive bg. It also takes away from any depth. On salamence in particular, it would look great with more sophisticated shading (maybe block if you're looking for something simpler?)

Thank you, the fact is that at first I thought I should draw a background or something but I was too lazy so I just did that gradient, I realized later that I doesn’t look good at all so the next ones were just in white background. But I think I should do transparent backgrounds from now on for this kind of drawings. As for the shading you are right, those were the first drawings and I didn’t feel confident enough to use shades, but I want to try it in my next work. Thanks for the critique, in the future I'd like to do a more relistic version of that salemence, with shadows and all :)

This is overall a really good piece. Greninja looks a bit too scrawny, despite its thin build (although dehydration can do that), and the highlights on its innermost white pads aren't necessary as they're turned away from the moon. What I absolutely LOVE is the lighting. You nailed the night sky, and the sharp contrast between the moonlight against the shaded wood on the tree is well executed, as well as the trails of the bark.
Thanks!, you are right, I didn’t knew where to place the moonlight because I was thinking “oh well the moon is at the top so it should have some light here also” but that depends on the place and the time, and in the image the moon is on the other side haha. I think I should do some exercise of visualization before each drawing. I changed it:

I don't usually intervene with user requests, particularly when the artist has already begun working on it, but I'd like to make two things clear:

1) When you receive the completed image of a request you made, I find it to be considerably rude to immediately request another, particularly so in the very same post you used to thank them. Even if you are grateful, you give the impression that you're just using them to serve your own purposes.

2) Drawing a full team along with a trainer is a huge request. Even when we illustrate stuff for articles or whatnot, we rarely go beyond three Pokemon in the same image, and requests for complete teams are otherwise something that you'd usually need to commission an artist for, as the image is only applicable to yourself. So even though Alkaios was open for requests, this is something that even our veteran artists need to put large effort into, and not something to casually ask for.

Alkaios gets to decide on his/her own on how to progress with this, but I felt the need to adress this properly.
Well I accepted the request because I’m usually a lazy person and I need something that pushes me to draw, because I really want to improve this summer (and that’s why I opened the thread), but I didn’t knew it was going to take this much time to do the request, so maybe in the future I’ll have to ask for simpler requests. For now I consider this training, so no worries, I'm gonna try to apply several new things this time.

Also I think I’m too novice for taking commissions, because I don’t know how this drawing is going to turn out to be. But I don’t want to make it look like anybody can have any drawing for free, I mean, I’ve seen some artist complaining when someone from the profession does paintings for free because that makes it harder for them to get paid for their job, and it’s true. So in the future I think I’ll apply that rule too for big works (but anyways I don’t think right now I have the quality to get paid for it, so I'll just ask for normal requests).

So, for future requests everyone please keep it simple as Bummer says, also this way more people can have what they ask for without making the artist work too much on just one request. But don’t be afraid to ask for things because of this, I need some pressure after all.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll try and see what comes out

Well I don’t know what to say, I’d like to do it but I’m currently a beginner so I don’t think I’m good enough to do that, it’s really my first time at drawing many things. I can try though, but first I’ll have to finish the other drawing and see when I have time. Also, how many logos would they be? I’ll send you a PM.

Thank you, the fact is that at first I thought I should draw a background or something but I was too lazy so I just did that gradient, I realized later that I doesn’t look good at all so the next ones were just in white background. But I think I should do transparent backgrounds from now on for this kind of drawings. As for the shading you are right, those were the first drawings and I didn’t feel confident enough to use shades, but I want to try it in my next work. Thanks for the critique, in the future I'd like to do a more relistic version of that salemence, with shadows and all :)

Thanks!, you are right, I didn’t knew where to place the moonlight because I was thinking “oh well the moon is at the top so it should have some light here also” but that depends on the place and the time, and in the image the moon is on the other side haha. I think I should do some exercise of visualization before each drawing. I changed it:

Well I accepted the request because I’m usually a lazy person and I need something that pushes me to draw, because I really want to improve this summer (and that’s why I opened the thread), but I didn’t knew it was going to take this much time to do the request, so maybe in the future I’ll have to ask for simpler requests. For now I consider this training, so no worries, I'm gonna try to apply several new things this time.

Also I think I’m too novice for taking commissions, because I don’t know how this drawing is going to turn out to be. But I don’t want to make it look like anybody can have any drawing for free, I mean, I’ve seen some artist complaining when someone from the profession does paintings for free because that makes it harder for them to get paid for their job, and it’s true. So in the future I think I’ll apply that rule too for big works (but anyways I don’t think right now I have the quality to get paid for it, so I'll just ask for normal requests).

So, for future requests everyone please keep it simple as Bummer says, also this way more people can have what they ask for without making the artist work too much on just one request. But don’t be afraid to ask for things because of this, I need some pressure after all.
Please allow me to apologize if I come across that way, I am pretty new to art and requesting works.

Finally I finished, I couldn't draw I battle arena so I tried with a basic landscape. I'll also upload the version without landscape.

And another thing I've done:

Someone experienced in art recommended me to take some time to learn the basics with art books, and focus on anatomy and still life works, so I'm gonna stop doing requests for a while. When I feel I have improved enough I will do requests again to see my progress

EDIT: I was so tired that I forgot to paint the grey part of the previous one, I corrected it. Also, now I have a deviantart page http://alkaios02.deviantart.com/ so I'll be uploading there all my drawings

Last edited:
Finally I finished, I couldn't draw I battle arena so I tried with a basic landscape. I'll also upload the version without landscape.

And another thing I've done:

Someone experienced in art recommended me to take some time to learn the basics with art books, and focus on anatomy and still life works, so I'm gonna stop doing requests for a while. When I feel I have improved enough I will do requests again to see my progress
Thank you so much! These look outstanding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)