The 2014 AFL Premiership Season (once again, just in case)

Adelaide Oval is a good ground to watch football on. The game Port Vs Hawks was outstanding. One of my favourite games for the year.

Just saying, Tippet is a gun and the Swans midfield is finally back at its best. Looking forward to the game against the Suns

Only other game I'm looking forward to is Hawks VS WCE. If the Hawks play like they did against GWS and Eagles actually play like their list suggests,I could see an upset in Tassy.

Asek

Banned deucer.
I'm just. Looking forward to when Sydney starts turning it up every game, such an exciting team to watch when they get going, Tippett and Franklin in one unit. Is just too good, even for somebody who doesn't support them

Carlton and Richmond both look like they're about to go back to the 'redevelopment' stage they were in 5 years ago, so much for both of them aiming for top 4 and premierships during this period ( I don't think either of the have a particularly bad list either so they're form is really quite odd, especially considering the teams they're losing to also have injured key players)

Last edited:
Richmond I think just had a bad year. Similar to the Crows from 2012 into 2013 bit without as many injuries. Carlton on the other hand seem to think their list is top 6 worthy already and recruit as such with no future planning. Why else would you try and pick up Judd? To fix a mid-field so you can win flags. Carlton need to think " we want to win a flag in 2017-2020" and go from their. I think Malthouse can do that. Just need to plan more long term than "next year or two" which feels like their current mindset

It took a lot of factors to cause the Hawks weak showing last week, half their top side is out injured and their coach was in hospital with his assistant running the show for the first time -- still nowhere near at full strength but with Lewis back their midfield becomes vastly improved (and Rioli always helps), defence is still a bit of a mess.

Carlton and Richmond basically had no chance to do a full blown rebuild because GWS and Gold Coast took all the early draft picks for the last few years (or traded them for good players, which neither Carlton or Richmond really had to trade).

Swans list is going to be amazing for a couple of years -- if a side with their current list doesn't win at least 1 of the next 2 premierships they'd be disappointed, but if the contracts are long and back loaded for some of the big names they are going to drop off hard.

That was a close game with the Eagles on top until Roughead started playing like he did most of last year. On a similar note: Naitanui signed an 800k per season contract, West Coast are giving up way too much of the salary cap on him imo.

Asek

Banned deucer.
That was a close game with the Eagles on top until Roughead started playing like he did most of last year. On a similar note: Naitanui signed an 800k per season contract, West Coast are giving up way too much of the salary cap on him imo.
Given his current form yeah its a bit too much, but if he can get over his injury problems and fire up id say hes worth the 800K, if not more a year. I think West Coast may expect a bit much out of him, but an injury free naitanui could really be one of the best players in the comp in the next 2-3 years.

That geelong cartlon match was a really good watch, i didnt expect it to be either

Pretty sure he was an All Australian in 2012 and when he is at his best he does deserve that much money. A lot more players getting that amount that don't deserve him. Even if he doesn't work as a ruck, he can work as a 2nd or third big tall. But the Eagles need to fix what's happening to them. Not sure if it's the new coach or just lack of form. Good first half though

Goddamn it umpires -_- So many bad decisions last night for both sides (what the hell is this calling play on halfway through a set shot run-up like Hawkins was?)

Given his current form yeah its a bit too much, but if he can get over his injury problems and fire up id say hes worth the 800K, if not more a year. I think West Coast may expect a bit much out of him, but an injury free naitanui could really be one of the best players in the comp in the next 2-3 years.
Pretty sure he was an All Australian in 2012 and when he is at his best he does deserve that much money. A lot more players getting that amount that don't deserve him. Even if he doesn't work as a ruck, he can work as a 2nd or third big tall.
800k is pretty exclusive company, there are about 25 guys on that or more and I'm fairly sure the only Ruckman in that group is Sandilands (who is vet listed and therefore half his salary doesn't count against the cap). Would also have to assume he's being signed to play mostly as a ruck given Cox is 32 years old and presumably isn't around much longer. While I'm aware of his ability, that seems like far too much.

800k is pretty exclusive company, there are about 25 guys on that or more and I'm fairly sure the only Ruckman in that group is Sandilands (who is vet listed and therefore half his salary doesn't count against the cap). Would also have to assume he's being signed to play mostly as a ruck given Cox is 32 years old and presumably isn't around much longer. While I'm aware of his ability, that seems like far too much.
I don't know much about the Eagles but do they have any younger rucks?

Just saw glimpses of the North VS Tigers game and was it sloppy umpiring or sloppy play for like over 40 free kicks to be called? Tigers need to work out what the hell went wrong with them during the pre-season. Never seen them play this bad in a season before

Suns VS Swans was a good game to watch. Good to see the Suns win the tackles and their big defenders played very well. Worried about Tippet's knee. Makes me wonder if we would've picked him up if we knew of all his knee troubles.

I don't know much about the Eagles but do they have any younger rucks?
They have 2 other rucks under the age of 25 (Callum Sinclair and Scott Lycett -- Lycett looking the more likely to me).

Port vs Sydney once again displays how crucial kicking accuracy is.

Only got to listen to the last quarter of the Swans Port games and will watch it tomorrow cause I have it taped but holy shit. One of, if not the best game of the year. Game had some epic moments throughout. Port are an excellent finishing side. Good luck to the other teams who play them.

Asek

Banned deucer.
I take every good thing I have ever said about North Melbourne and take it back given last nights result

This is why I didn't elect to pursue footy tipping this year
After every round I try and do the Ladder Predictor and my mind explodes. Port should have beaten the Crows. North should've been the Lions. But the beaut of the game is that if you're not here to play, you won't win. No matter who you are up against.

Looking at the top 4 (5 since Geelong are still only out on percentage) only, the following games are huge:
Round 18 Hawthorn VS Sydney MCG
Round 20 Port Adelaide VS Sydney AO
Round 20 Geelong VS Fremantle SS
Round 21 Fremantle VS Hawthorn
Round 22 Hawthorn VS Geelong MCG
Round 23 Fremantle VS Port Adelaide PS

Drop 1 or 2 of these games, kiss top 4 goodbye. That's assuming you win the other danger games (Hawks: Adelaide away, Collingwood; Port: Collingwood, Suns away; Sydney: West Coast away, Richmond ANZ; Freo: Don't really have one, Lions away I guess?; Geelong: North; etc).

Adelaide could make bottom end of the 8. Games against Hawks and Collingwood away don't help but still a decent chance. Essendon could too but I don't see how since they dropped that game against Geelong. If they won that I'd be confident for them to make the 8.

My final top 8 with the logic if they're really close teams, give the win to the home team:
1. Hawthorn 18 wins
2. Port Adelaide 18 wins
3. Fremantle 18 wins
4. Sydney 17 wins
5. Geelong 16 wins
6. Gold Coast 15 wins
7. North Melbourne 14 wins
8. Collingwood 13 wins

If Adelaide can win some away games against North and Collingwood, they'll make the 8. Sydney could also beat Port or Hawks and jump into first. This year is very close and it's shaping up to be fantastic.

Suns vs Pies this weekend, shaping up to be a real cracker. I fail to see why experts are shaky on Gold Coast right now

Today, great test for the Gold Coast when they host Collingwood, and another exciting game looming tonight as Port Adelaide are apparently out to break a sound record at home to Essendon. And I officially give up on tipping North Melbourne games, get on St Kilda to beat them next week

Swans on top of the ladder. Who picked that 11 weeks ago? Luke Parker is a star.

4-way tie for second. Can't pick who will finish where still. North and Essendon winning shocked me.

Gold Coast are either going for top 4 next year or the Pies are on the fade after that game. Fantastic effort by the Suns to win that.

Kennedy for the Brownlow now

North Melbourne appear to have perfected some kind of inconsistency technology with the intent to fuck with peoples tipping competitions.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Brian Lake / Drew Petrie incident? Lake is refered straight to the tribunal while Petrie gets a week iirc

Lake probably gets a few weeks due to his record -- I don't think he did any actual damage but it looked ugly and that's all the MRP cares about, Petrie shouldn't be getting anything but looks like he'll just get a reprimand for a guilty plea anyway.

Petrie gets off free and Lake 4 weeks. Seems fair imo. Lake comes back for games against Freo, Geelong and Collingwood. They need him for those games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)