Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who/what is Denisssssss/Showderp and why are they at all relevant to a game teaching people how to play competitive Pokemon
Denis was just aligned to evil team cause some said he was the sole reason BP was suspected to begin with and basically representing what people feel as if his is/was an example of what smogon is against (normally uncompetitive strategies) and all.

Don't have the faintest clue of whatever a showderp is though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Who/what is Denisssssss/Showderp and why are they at all relevant to a game teaching people how to play competitive Pokemon
Denis is the guy that indirectly got BP suspected and Showderp is a group of trolls from /vp/ that play with crap teams on PS!

edit: assuming Kaxrida is correct: completely irrelevant lol
From the original post, it's a proposal for these:

Now that we've talked about all the basics stages, there's one more thing I'd like to talk about-- The Baddies.

"Ah, there is one thing I'd like to warn you about before you head out on your adventure. Word has it that a new team of villains has been assembling in the shadows, the netherworlds of terrible online Pokemon stuff. They call themselves "Team Luck-Sack", and the name is quite fitting. They're an uncivilized bunch, dipping their hands into all the unsavory and unlawful practices of Pokemon-- evasion moves, moody, breaking sleep clause, using Swagger, and using Pokemon that have explicitly been banned by the lawful body, the Smogon Pokemon League.

We have established tight security over the region, so I don't foresee any problems but... rumor has it that team lucksack is working on developing the technology to invade the region, and are slowly creeping in. It's just rumor though.
Generally speaking, lucksackers suck at Pokemon, so you should be able to handle any minor conflicts, but keep an eye out for them..."

Team luck sack-- this should give you a feel for them.

Grunts: Sucky terrible Pokemon not on the viability list, but using Double Team, OHKO moves, and Swagger
Higher level grunts: could see Prankster-Swagg and Moody
Admins: Still see crappy non OU-viable mons mixed into their teams, but Ubers, banned Mega Stones, and full Prankster-Swagg + Ditto, full baton pass may feature on their teams.

I think that one of the Good Rod pokemon should be Dratini (with Marvel Scale)

In the regular games, dratini is only found as either a gift or in the water (either in dragon's den or safari zone) so it makes sense for it to be in the water here.

In terms of viability, dragonite is a solid choice for offensive, balanced, and stall teams depending on what set it runs (CBNite, WP DDNite, CBBNite, etc) and so giving the player early access to it (assuming Good Rod is found early?) makes sense as well.

As far as HMs go, I think competitively viable ones should be required. And fly, because walking is a bitch. So surf, waterfall, and defog.

Also, do we have a way of narrowing the proposals down to how many ever pokemon that will actually be in the route?

As far as HMs go, I think competitively viable ones should be required. And fly, because walking is a bitch. So surf, waterfall, and defog.

Also, do we have a way of narrowing the proposals down to how many ever pokemon that will actually be in the route?
We do as we go bout picking through what we think and the community thinks. Coulda sworn it was on first page....

EDIT: look on first post in section labeled designing routes and towns. That will give you all the info needed :D

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just got an idea; the first gyms should have Pokemon from the lower tiers and slowly ascend to OU. This gives the player a chance at beating them with NFEs and gives us more opportunities for diverse Gym teams.
For example:
Gym 1: LC
Gyms 2-3: NU
Gyms 4-5: RU
Gyms 6-7: UU
Gym 8: OU
E4/Champion: OU with maybe some Ubers?
Bonus: VGC Leader and/or Doubles Leader, possibly in E4.

The Gym Leaders should probably be named/modeled after their respective tier leaders.

Some Pokemon should be found in the wild with select egg moves, since Gen VI makes all egg move combos legal anyway and to give the player an easier time.

Would it make sense to run with the Kanto starters as a set, rather than Bulbasaur/Charmander/Froakie? Depending on when Mega Stones become available, Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise would be more even than Venusaur/Charizard/Protean-Greninja. I haven't seem anything about the placement of Mega Stones, but it could be set to allow access to Froakie before Charizard X or M Venusaur are available anyway. This leaves the issue of a...less viable starter in Squirtle towards the end, though. Maybe it would work to start with Torrent Froakie, and then re-engineer the Ability Capsule to allow access to hidden abilities, and make it more readily accessible later in the game? I don't know, my argument depends a lot on when Charizardite and Venusaurite are made available, but I'm fairly certain that a Protean Frogadier may tend to perform better than Charmeleon or Ivysaur regardless.

Also, assuming prior evolutions are included, would branches, such as Gallade, Flareon, or Rotom-Fr, be included as well? Or would Rotom just be found in washing machines and Ralts and Snorunt become unilaterally female? Would the DNA Splicers automatically turn Kyurem into Kyurem-B, without Zekrom? I'm not asking to be contentious or sarcastic, but partially because I think it would be a good thing to have a fuller idea of what the regional dex looks like when starting to fill out the routes, and mostly out of curiosity.

I just got an idea; the first gyms should have Pokemon from the lower tiers and slowly ascend to OU. This gives the player a chance at beating them with NFEs and gives us more opportunities for diverse Gym teams.
For example:

The Gym Leaders should probably be named/modeled after their respective tier leaders.

Some Pokemon should be found in the wild with select egg moves, since Gen VI makes all egg move combos legal anyway and to give the player an easier time.

Gym Leader Haunter would like to battle!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For example:

The gyms will all be OU-- the region will all be OU. If this project does well, it can be mimmic'd in the lower tiers.

I also had the idea to make post-Pokemon League "islands" based on the lower tiers (and Ubers/LC).

Like, you get an invite, but you can only take your UU Pokemon (and lower) to the first island, and there you can catch more niche RU mons, and take only them to the RU island, go down to the NU island.

Idea regarding HMs: change their mechanic so that they do not have to be taught to a Pokémon for it to use the HM outside of battle - simply, as long as you have a Pokémon in your party that is capable of learning the HM in question, you are able to use it. Of course, you would still be able to manually teach HMs to Pokémon if you wanted to use them in battle (e.g. Surf/Waterfall/Defog). I don't think this would be too much of a stretch seeing how you are able to use HMs outside of battle with a fainted Pokémon, or when that move has no remaining PP.

Alright yall, we think we have a good enough gauge on what water moms yall would like to see at the starting areas little water section. For now lets focus some attention onto the buildings one would find in said town.

Most starting towns are fairly basic in layout, but how do we want ours structured? Do we want the Professor's Lab in the town or in next one over akin to DPPt? Do we even want to consider the rival living there at all? What are your thoughts and what will one see in the humble beginnings catered to your adept eyes for detail?

Discuss!

I think what should be noted is the power of having multiple Water-types available early on. Water Pokemon have natural synergy with one another when you add Politoed's Drizzle into the mix, so I would suggest either limiting the amount of available Water-types until later in the game, or simply make Poliwags appear late in the playthrough (or at least make it's evo only happen later). This will prevent early "end game" rain teams from being attained before the first few gyms of the game, otherwise making them have an earlier power surge than others.

I do like having Azurill/Marill being available early, but again there's a small potential of a power surge prior to the first gym. Azumarill has a respectably early evolution stage, evolving at lvl 18, while also getting Aqua Tail at 21. It also sits in the "Fast" experience group, meaning it has the smoothest lvling curve as well as the 2nd fastest to 100. One can argue that Gyarados is similar, but remember you'll have to sit with a Magikarp as well as having a slower lvling curve (Azumarill simply needs a bit over half of Gyarados to get to lvl 20), and it learns Aqua Tail at 35, so no good Water STAB yet unless Waterfall HM. In lieu, Azumarill will easily outperform your team in the early stages of the game mainly because everyone else isn't finished evolving or hasn't received a strong move.

That being said, since it is fishing and surfing, those are easily gated by the Rod quality and the HM. So why did I go through the trouble of making this post? ._.

Because you voiced viable concerns and god knows who or what may suggest giving rods out when. The last thing I think anyone wants is water monos everywhere..... (at least me).

And realistically this wouldn't be obtained till whenever we decide to so there is that :D
(my hope is bout good rod near third to fourth?)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What Salemance said.

Let's be realistic, even if we're deciding which water mons go in the first town, it'll be impossible to obtain any of them (just like it's impossible to get them in the actual games). You got no surf, you got no rods, so these mons are only relevant when you come back to the town later. We'd only give out the old rod if anything at all-- so maybe only Magikarp available early on.

Pokemon like Azurril and Corphish can be field Pokemon, and will probably find other places to appear early on in the run without actually having a rod.

Also remember that worrying about the "level" of Pokemon available isn't really worth worrying about because... ALL the wild Pokemon will only be the offspring of the best Pokemon from the viability list... so rather than worrying about how strong the teams the player can make are, we should instead focus on making the gym leaders even more ridiculous.

Last edited:
I think this should also include a system where you can get multiple legendaries, like the 2 forms of Landorus for example, or maybe someone wanted to have both Prankster and Defiant Thundurus-I's (Ability Capsule might fix this).

Anyway, back to the current topic on the First Town/route.

I'd suggest a NPC that shows you around town first (that old man from Gold/Silver), maybe show you how to catch Pokemon, and then goes "But you probably know this already, so I guess I'll have to give you something in return for wasting your time blah blah..."
Then he gives you the option of choosing one TM/HM:
Fire Punch / Lava Plume / Giga Drain / Energy Ball / Surf / Waterfall

If you choose a TM/HM that isn't your starter's type, he'll go: " *smack* You're hopeless! What use do you have for (insert TM name) if you can't use it?"
And then if you choose Fire Punch, he'll go: "Soo.. you'd like your charmander to become a Mega Charizard X?" If you say "no", he'll smack you again and explain about the physical/special split. Same with choosing Lava Plume and not Char Y.

For Energy Ball, he'll go: "That's a strange choice. Bulbasaur will grow up to be a pretty bulky Pokemon and can survive really long with Giga Drain. Are you sure the extra 15 BP is worth giving up the healing?" If the player chooses "Yes" 5 times (just for lols) , he'll still give you Giga Drain and go "*shakes head* You'll get Energy Ball as you continue your journey. But I won't let you screw up your Bulbasaur, not in a thousand light years!"

For Waterfall, he'll probably just curse loudly (extent depends on whether you want to make it family friendly, since it's to introduce competitive battling to newcomers) and go :*mumbles* Why won't people give up on physical greninja? *mumble* He'll explain the physical/special split too, and you still won't get Waterfall from him, just like the case with Energy Ball.

I figured that moves like Flamethrower might be too strong to get the moment you get your starter. I'm not sure whether the moves are that appropriate as the BP difference may be big. Surf *could* be changed to Scald but Scald Greninja lol. At least it's fairer that no one gets to surf early in the game. I guess he could tell you that you might wanna change Scald to Surf once you get it as Scald is for bulkier waters. And maybe Petal Blizzard replacing Energy Ball so that you can explain the physical/special split as well.

EDIT: Forgot that you need badges to use Surf, so ignore that part.

For Waterfall, he'll probably just curse loudly (extent depends on whether you want to make it family friendly, since it's to introduce competitive battling to newcomers) and go :*mumbles* Why won't people give up on physical greninja? *mumble* He'll explain the physical/special split too, and you still won't get Waterfall from him, just like the case with Energy Ball.
EDIT: Forgot that you need badges to use Surf, so ignore that part.
The three main HMs (defog, Waterfall, Surf) need to be available to everyone (assuming they play a role in the story), so you can't have someone be given the choice between 2 HMs early in the game unless they get the other one at some point as well. TMs, on the other hand, would work, although i'd rather we skip the catch pokemon tutorial and have the old man complain about how back in the DPPt era people actually made creative sets or how he fondly remembers the days that Electivire was OU.

The three main HMs (defog, Waterfall, Surf) need to be available to everyone (assuming they play a role in the story), so you can't have someone be given the choice between 2 HMs early in the game unless they get the other one at some point as well. TMs, on the other hand, would work, although i'd rather we skip the catch pokemon tutorial and have the old man complain about how back in the DPPt era people actually made creative sets or how he fondly remembers the days that Electivire was OU.
I was thinking that the TM/HMs were just there early on to get you started with a reasonably strong move and lets you explain the basics behind competitive battling, while actually you'll get everything in the game anyway, just that the old man gives you something earlier (reminds me of the girl in Castelia City in BW2 giving you the Mystic Water/Miracle Seed/Charcoal which you got a little later but I digress). For example, you get HM03 directly after beating the Gym that allows you to use it etc. But yeah, I guess Scald might be more appropriate since potentially having 2 HM03s just feels weird, and the BP is around the same as the other moves as well.

You're probably right about the capturing part though, I'd like him to go "Allow me to show you how to catch.. haha just kidding" Then he gives certain interesting facts like "Did you know Gengar is the only Pokemon that has stayed in OU for all 6 gens" every time you speak to him after that.

So Towns...

I don't have any drawing software and that's probably a good thing: my art is terrible. Use your imagination please.

First off, I propose the town's name be something like "Golurkmoar Town" or something insinuating you aren't very good.

The first house would obviously be our player's house. Same basic layout, but let's avoid the stereotypical "I don't have a father bullshit". There are two routes to take here imo: Chaos is all smogonite's father and should come into play later (of course chaos will) or the father is actually there...

The town layout should have a small river run through the middle and a few bridges going over. In general, there would be four structures. Your house, the rival's, the Luck-Sack leader, and a small shanty-turned lab. If you hadn't gone to the lucksack house first, the shanty house would have nothing in it. Maybe one or two trees, a few blocks of sand at one part by the river, some aesthetically pleasing stuff.

If the father IS in the house, he should be raving about what a good child you are, not involving yourself with adventuring and aiming for a good degree. As the adventure goes on, his opinion could become progressively worse. The mother shouldn't exist imo to model "No such thing as a real girl/woman on the internet".

There should be two other houses, probably one of the rival and perhaps one of the Luck-Sack's leader. Standard rival house, but mother constantly nags the rival to do homework. Rival claims it's all done but when you go upstairs, you'd just see a huge video game setup and no desk in sight. He'd talk briefly about how he's a master LoL player and then suddenly rage because he just got crushed. He'll decide to go train pokemon due to his ragequit.

Assuming Luck-Sack's leader is Verlisify, there needs to be a Rare Bone in his house and this can be the start to the player's economy. Inside the house, regardless of the leader, there should be a bunch of pokemon cushions and basically anything that can represent more interested in the "friendship" side of a stat-based game. There would also be a glorified alter (seriously, with stain glass windows or something) with a TM for Swagger. When the player tries to grab it, it would trigger the professor to come in and start to teach/lecture the trainer about the disasters of swagger. Eventually, this would lead to standard "Pick first pokemon, ADVENTURE" attitude. More importantly, the professor would make some comments about how he could get arrested for breaking and entering. If it was Lonelyness, comment to be made how it wouldn't be his first.

The Lab would actually be a small shanty house. "Budget cuts were made...". However, there will still be an area for options. Later on in the game, the proffessor can reveal the shanty house is actually just a coverup and that his REAL lab is in the basement. It'd look like something straight out of Tron or something with a big red button that if you push, you'd blow something up... Preferably a Luck-Sack base. With the justification of "No one actually leaves a base after getting beat by a child... we'll just use explosives!". After leaving, adventure as usual.

Standard "technology is incredible" guy. Few other NPCs that should make note of how good they are at pokemon with their swagger teams. Fro the hell of it, let's get an NPC that just yells "LEEEEEEROOOOY JEEENKINS" (of course longer and far more annoying) whenever you talk to him.

/end town theory.

We do need to figure out who the professor is to poke fun at them a bit. Since the Firebot guys are such good teachers, I propose we use a recognized shitposter from them (RODAN/TiK) because why actually do it properly and use a regular mentor?

I like this idea but I can just say that I think Verlisify should not be included in this game at all, let's just keep it fun by adding well known Smogon members, not a person who is well known for hating Smogon.
Yeah apparently he's still pissed because he posted an "I'm the victim" video a month ago

Last edited:
Idea for a new trainer class: Red Doppelganger.

This trainer class is based off of all of the bottom-ladder noobs who use entire teams consisting of Pokes associated with Red. Visually, they'd be based off of Red (obviously), but maybe with a few changes. Their dialogue could be based on things that genwunners would say (i.e. complaining about new Pokemon/games, talking about how great Gen 1 was, etc.), and their teams, in addition to only including Pokemon associated with Red, could also include stupid stuff like non-mega mixed Charizard with Fly or Aerial Ace. Also, they should have fairly low-level AI, seeing how they're based on people you see on the bottom of the ladder.

This thread looks amazing. I was going to propose that Somalia be the leader of team Luck Sacks, and the only way to defeat him is by energy ball jellicent, but I see Chou has already made that joke...

EDIT: Okay I actually have an idea now. Two actually,

Rival 2 Proposal: A second rival, this time a guy with an Ash team. Now hear me out on this one: the purpose of this game is to educate the masses on proper competitive battling, correct? Well there is more than one way to accomplish this, in the case of this rival it is through inexample!

For instance, newer players to Smogon will be able to clearly see the difference between this Ash team and the one made by the other rival. The first rivals team will be difficult to defeat, and by comparison the guy with an ash team will be easy as pie. This will incline players to imitate the style of the rival instead of the Ash team. Winning!

NPC proposal: This one hasn't been brought up yet, but we need Karen (G/S, HG/SS) into this game. Because of course, if we are to properly portray ourselves as elitist dickholes (as the cover says) then we must include the Karenites, our biggest critics, in some way. And what better way than to include the original Karen?

Possible scripts:

Karen: "Use your favorite Pokemon in battle! If you just believe in your Pokemon and treat them well, any Pokemon can become strong. Strong and weak Pokemon are the ideals of the foolish trainer. All Pokemon can be strong!"

Karenite follower (before battle): "I'm using all my favorites in this battle! There's no way I can lose with our friendship!"

Karenite follower (after battle): "You didn't even use the ones you liked! ;-;"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)