Quick Guard / Wide Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread will be moderated to keep discussion focused.

This are the descriptions of Quick Guard and Wide Guard in NDA:
WG said:
The user dashes in front of its allies and releases a pulse that expands horizontally and vertically (but not forward) at amazing speed. The pulse blocks all moves that can hit multiple Pokemon, even in single battles. This move fails if used on successive actions or after Protect, Detect, Evasive Agility, Evasive Teleport, or the Dodge command.
QG said:
With blinding speed the Pokemon puts up a barrier around itself and any teammates. The barrier causes all increased-priority attacks to fail when used against the Pokemon's team, with the exception of those given priority by Prankster, Light Metal, or Float Stone. This move fails if used on successive actions or after Protect, Detect, Quick Guard, Evasive Agility, Evasive Teleport, or the Dodge command.
Right now we know that in-catridge allows Quick Guard to be used at any time, just like Wide Guard. Also, QG blocks all increased priority attacks, including those boosted by Gale Wings and Prankster. However, the former has yet to be really implemented, and the latter contradicts by design. So we're gonna try to iron out the crinkles, and hopefully clarify it for everyone. Some starting questions for y'all:
  • Should Quick Guard fail after Wide Guard / Quick Guard, and vice versa, in ASB?
  • What happens to other Protective/Evasive moves used after Quick/Wide Guard?
  • Should Quick Guard block increased priority attacks caused by Ability / Item interactions?
Try putting forward your thoughts behind each answer - if you can't, but someone else already has, a good like shows everyone the support behind the notion. You may also raise forward questions pertinent to the topic. Progress of the discussion will be tracked and recorded in ths OP. Given the rather rare distribution of QG / WG, let's see what might happen.

Fire away ^_^

• No, I think Quick Guard and Wide Guard should be able to be used after one another and themselves, that is you can do Quick Guard x3 or Wide Guard x3 without failing, or any combination of the two (However I think and energy increase might be in order).
  • Following In-game precedence Protect and Co. have a 50% change to fail if used after Quick Guard / Wide Guard so they should fail if they're used after QG / WG (If Protect is used first and then QG / WG then nothing happens and both moves are executed successfully)
  • Yeah, just like Wide Guard blocks all spread attacks (even in singles) I think the simple way is the best. To make Quick guard block all increased Priority moves that target your team (that is Gale Wings, Prankster, Light Metal, Float Stone, etc...). Again, an energy raise might be in order.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
I'm with Gerard in this one, personally - thus far QG / WG has always been inferior compared to Protect or Detect, compounded by the lack of distribution, useful situations, and only mitigated by not being included in the P/E Subtitution Class. If we were to go the energy increase route, then I'd suggest upping Quick Guard's EN cost to 7 to account for consistency's sake (oddly Wide Guard's EN cost is already sitting at 7). Plus, we've already ruled that increased priority attacks under Prankster etc. is included under Substitution Clauses, if that's not the case then correct me for being wrong.

* * * * * * *​

Alright, we've had a long time without people stepping forward, so I'm assuming we're all agreeing with Gerard or couldn't care either way. Putting a 48-hour window on this discussion, then we'll adjourn to voting. Slate will likely included all 3 questions in the OP, if you feel that any related topics need to be put on the table, discussed and/or vote, do bring it up. Thank you.

Last edited:

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Quick suggestion: can we include Tatami Flip or Mat Flip or whatever it's called in this discussion?
FROSTYEDIT: It is Mat Block.

I personally don't have any opinion on it given it's such a rare scenario and I've never encountered a Greninja thus far, but I feel it's worth bringing up.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
This is Mat Block's NDA description:
The Pokemon pulls up an energy mat and uses it to defend themselves from damaging attacks. This attack will also defend allies in a multiple battle, but only on its first use. Subsequent uses will only protect the user. Status moves are not blocked.
I think only one question needs to be answer, and likely it will be a no-brainer: Will Mat Block protect it's user if used consecutively?

No. ASB Mat block acts as an inferior King's Shield after the first use, that is protects from damage but not from status. So I think making them both fail if used consecutively is the most simple and consistent way to handle it

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
Taking this up for Voting, since nobody has stuff to add. We'll handle other moves at another time and thread. Also, I think I'll just put a simple yes/no choice and worry about editing DAT later.

Should Quick Guard fail after Wide Guard / Quick Guard, and vice versa, in ASB?
Yes
No

What happens to other Protective/Evasive moves used after Quick/Wide Guard?
Yes
No

Should Quick Guard block increased priority attacks caused by Ability / Item interactions?
Yes
No

Should Mat Block protect it's user if used consecutively?
Yes
No

Thank you for your time. Mods may close this at their discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)