Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the more intriquing things to think bout when working with the starter town is always the npcs and I think we need to emphasize the difficulty of the journey a bit...by adding some dazed and dissillusioned hobo who had given up on his journey after seeing how difficult it was and how nothing could happen since he went to adventuring instead of education.

The hobo can be called whatever the hell we want, but some kind of visual representation of the difficulties and dangers of becoming the best while still being a silly idea altogether.

There could also be an NPC that talks about how amazing he thought Donphan and Florges were until he fought someone with an Excadrill and Sylveon to help teach that some Mons are totally outclassed by other Mons and to stop people from using Donphan as early as possible. It may also help to have another NPC that talks about how he tried spreading his EVs evenly amongst the 6 stats and how his sweepers missed kills and his walls crumpled too quickly.

I have an Idea for an Side quest (i think there should be a lot of side quests in this game).

There should be an area, either a hidden hollow in some route or an underground area in some city, where you win the pokemons of the enemy if you beat them and lose your pokemon if you lose. And some Pokemon should be only catchable in this area by winning them from the trainers there.

Forgive me if this has been suggested already, but perhaps the region's random trainers could emulate the Showdown ladder? That is, earlier trainers will have pokemon common on the lower ladder- the Charmander line being the most common, gimmicky sweepers, etc with lesser defined and simpler strategies. More sets would be either silly or extremely standard, and the teams may not fit together as well. Later trainers having Honedge line mons be most common, more clearly defined/complex strategies, and better sets that fit with their team structures. Basically, you'd be climbing the ladder. The post-game content may be SPL or tournament style sets.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
We know about the Pokemon available, but what about the dex numbers and their dex descriptions? They would totally reflect Smogon. I could totally do those if it's fine :o

Talonflame

A major threat seen around the SmogSmog region, attacking its prey with priority Brave Birds. It usually is seen with a band around its head for increased power.

(lol it won't be that bad)

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it could be a good idea to have a Bird-Spam Gym; I'd be more than willing to make trainer scripts, teams, a gym leader, et. al.

Two questions:
- Will we start at Level 100?
- Will all trainers have 6 Pokemon?

All leaders will have 6 and about Vic road we are planing to go lvl 100 as expected since gym eight should be bout 90 lvl.

This thread looks amazing. I was going to propose that Somalia be the leader of team Luck Sacks, and the only way to defeat him is by energy ball jellicent, but I see Chou has already made that joke...

EDIT: Okay I actually have an idea now. Two actually,

Rival 2 Proposal: A second rival, this time a guy with an Ash team. Now hear me out on this one: the purpose of this game is to educate the masses on proper competitive battling, correct? Well there is more than one way to accomplish this, in the case of this rival it is through inexample!

For instance, newer players to Smogon will be able to clearly see the difference between this Ash team and the one made by the other rival. The first rivals team will be difficult to defeat, and by comparison the guy with an ash team will be easy as pie. This will incline players to imitate the style of the rival instead of the Ash team. Winning!

NPC proposal: This one hasn't been brought up yet, but we need Karen (G/S, HG/SS) into this game. Because of course, if we are to properly portray ourselves as elitist dickholes (as the cover says) then we must include the Karenites, our biggest critics, in some way. And what better way than to include the original Karen?

Possible scripts:

Karen: "Use your favorite Pokemon in battle! If you just believe in your Pokemon and treat them well, any Pokemon can become strong. Strong and weak Pokemon are the ideals of the foolish trainer. All Pokemon can be strong!"

Karenite follower (before battle): "I'm using all my favorites in this battle! There's no way I can lose with our friendship!"

Karenite follower (after battle): "You didn't even use the ones you liked! ;-;"
B-B-But many of my favorite Pokemon ARE OU viable (even if some of them are D rank).

On the other hand, I do love the Rival 2 proposal. (It's like battling Shauna/Bianca vs Serena(Calem)/Cherrin). Maybe after time his team improves from just using the straight Ash team (where Pikachu doesn't even have a Light Ball) to slowly including some of the better Pokemon Ash has to finally including the most OU viable Ash team like Gliscor, Infernape, Charizard (mega), etc (minus the obligatory Pikachu that HAS to be there but this time it'll be a Light Ball, maybe Red's PWT moveset or even having Extremespeed or something).

-----

In another idea...the evil team minions should have typical poison types/"vendor trash" Pokemon. But we'll give it the OU viable twist: Diggersby, Liepard, Gengar, Scolipede, and Amoongus could make a common appearance (and if we want to make douche-moves, we have the Double Team, Spore, Leech Seed, Sludge Bomb like the Battle Subway Amoonguses and of course a Full Baton Pass team Scolipede...Swagplay Liepards...and the boss has Mega Gengar...etc. We said the evil team might use some some of the banned strategies right?)

I think in addition to the Starter Pokemon, one should get an item that is fitting to its Nature or set it is meant to use.
For example, Jolly/Adamant Charmendar = CharizarditeX, Timid Froxy = Life Orb etc.

Maybe adding hilarious references to the community or previous Gen OUs would be interesting.

I think that the game should also introduce clauses (carefully) and demonstrate why they are needed. I mean, Evasion clause is obviously going to be demonstrated via the Team Rocket clone, but what about Species Clause? Sleep Clause? And why OU doesn't have Item Clause (when the VGC does).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The clauses will be put in place in every battle except those against team lucksack.

I've decided to implement a new rule, though I'm having trouble editing the OP at the moment (it's too long...)

Do not propose NPCs based off yourself.

It's either funny or it isn't for you to be included in the game, and community will decide if they think you are well known enough to be included as a character...

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thinking no items in battles.

I'm also against the auto-heal after battle idea... it IS an in-game experience after all. Heal items and Pokecenters play their role between battles.

Now I feel silly for seeing the pun in first town name so late. xD

I'd like to also bring discussion back a little on the first town. I love seeing the discussion on more general topics but we don't have alot of suggestions for the town structure nor what mode of events will happen IE what brings you to getting your first poke or if we even include a rival there.
Course we also got till Saturday till this town discussion is up so I might be acting a bit on the go there.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I'm going to ask people to stop posting about manini game mechanic stuff or far-thrown stuff or simple 1-shot joke posts and actually try to post something creative, productive, and relevant to the current step of the 'development'

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
That's what we're currently discussing. Specifically, Water Pokemon for the lake/beachside/well/whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)