Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we change the enemies to serebii n00bs?

(the true enemies of competitive pokemon)
For th is response, look on Page One in Chou's post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...st-town-golurkmoar-town.3510993/#post-5569813

Mew King Squirtle is a saltwater mon? Most spinoff games I've played (Namely Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Snap, and Pokemon Channel) have had Squirtle as a freshwater mon. Also, replace azumaril with azmaril, if we're going to give the player one of the most dangerous phys sweeps in the game, we're gonna make him WORK for it, get that happiness up, MAGGOT!

My thoughts on first town: I dislike the idea of having Team Luck-Sack's hideout in Golurkmoar town, it seems kind of ridiculous even by our silly standards, and doesn't really fit the whole "they're sneaky technology smugglers trying to break teh rulz" story that the OP makes imo. I also think that we may want to avoid using obviously broken ubers like e-killer arceus or geoherb xerenas, even for the evul admins. The player probably doesn't need an explanation for them being banned. If you are going to whip out ubers, stick with the less obvious ones like skymin, blazekin, and maybe Deo-S/Deo-D.

Now then, for Golurkmoar town itself, I really like the idea of having a Golurkmoar prison (with Golurks as guards, obviously). Inside the prison we can have all the various types of trolls and ragers that we simply do not tolarate here, whether it be some random dude spewing blatant lies (eg Thunderous is a mediocre pokemon, Butterfree is an awesome venusaur counter, etc) or that one unpleasent guy who does absolutely nothing but spew every insult in the book when you talk to him. The Golurk guards will dynamic punch anyone who ticks them off and leave the targets movements scrambled up for about 5 seconds.

Lastly, a proposal for a route 1 mon

Route 1
Golett
Level 1-3
Reasoning: No it's not OU viable, yes it's a good early source of attack IVs, yes it'll be absolutely hilarious to see a ghost type this early on, and yes I mostly proposed this because it's the Preevo of Golurkmoar town's symbol.

*edit*

Mew King Makes sense. I've always hated the anime with a passion, so it's entirely possible that there is a bit of a disconnect between that and *insert random spinoff here*.

Non sequitur ftw
The Prison idea (one I thought of and liked) and if it is, one could consider it their hideout, but I agree that their base being seen so early is a little much. If anything, if we do add some prison, we could try and make it past more than just standard ladder trolls and try and make it, say, some more standard trouble makers if we want specific examples. Like say people who constantly trolled forums (Gengar thread guy, the many people who did that for Viability with Charizard and Blissey v Chansey) etc.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Did I miss something? Where on the map is Golurkmoar town located?

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Did I miss something? Where on the map is Golurkmoar town located?

"Red is where you start"
So:

Based on that map, it could easily have either fresh water or salt water (like a small river cutting through or something). I'm personally leaning towards fresh water, but that's just me.

Which still comes down to if people like fresh or salt. they both have their advantages as detailed, and its doubtful all those pokemon can be crammed in there like that (not like we can cram a lot of em in unless we make some excuse that it cuts to the sea if fresh and got sea rock blockers for whatever reasom- scratch that, some sort of water wheel to help power the professor's experiments would block em!)

Still public opinion.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Which still comes down to if people like fresh or salt. they both have their advantages as detailed, and its doubtful all those pokemon can be crammed in there like that (not like we can cram a lot of em in unless we make some excuse that it cuts to the sea if fresh and got sea rock blockers for whatever reasom- scratch that, some sort of water wheel to help power the professor's experiments would block em!)

Still public opinion.
Personally, I'd prefer fresh water because the oceanic area next to Golurkmoar doesn't really go anywhere. Also the idea of the lab being next to a river with a water wheel is neat. /upvote

It would be really funny if terrible, non-competitive "legendaries" could be caught in the wild later-game just to hate on those that think they're good.

Anyway, I propose Happiny as a Pokemon caught in the wild early-game (almost all stall teams form cores with a Chansey, so it's important to have access to it early-game.)

This entire idea is truly brilliant!

I really like this idea, but how are you going to adress the issue of grinding? If the first gym has (let's say) lvl 20 pokemon, what's to stop a player from grinding to lvl 40? Also, with that ev spreads get pretty confusing when not at lvl 100, so how do you factor that into the system? And maybe you should have spots in towns where you can play BH, trade in the pokemon you have, and temporarily get lvl 100 pokemon with whatever moves you want.

If I remember right, top right corner most town is where ya start.
Is the map I made become the de facto layout for smogsmog? Seeing as it's in the OP and liked by Chou Toshio, I think it might be. Thanks a lot guys! I'll sort of explain a bit of my thinking about designing the map in the following spoiler.

Helpfully annotated in purple!
  • Seeing the starting town designated at point B and the pokemon league at point M in doughboy's post, I had to decide where to put the 8th gym town. Traditionally, the 8th gym town is usually right next (or very close) to the pokemon league (Viridian in Kanto, Blackthorn in Johto, Sootopolis in Hoenn, Sunnyshore in Sinnoh). That leaves either A or L to be the final gym town. I entertained ideas about making A the final gym as it'd be an interesting twist and backtracking, but I decided against it and decided to follow in the "traditional" linear approach and have the 8th gym at L
  • Because of the mountainous "teeth," I made the map become a pretty much linear curve going counterclockwise. The original map did not even have a land route between town F and town D, but I added that later since without it, it felt way too linear. The land route can be "blocked" until later, but I wanted to allow the player a easy way to backtrack without going a roundabout way, as well as unlocking new areas through backtracking.
  • I added E as an island city because I wanted to make use of weezing's gas cloud islands. This also reminded me of Dewford town in Hoenn. Additionally, I wanted a way for players to have water pokemon early-mid game (coast near town C, an island town) as well as mid-late game (going to K, final surf to the pokemon league)
  • The blue important place icons I just sprinkled at the end. The one in the upper right I envisioned to be a postgame battle facility, or event/easter egg place. The two above each other in the left-middle was supposed to be a cave to allow the player to collect cave pokemon, as well as a way to let the player have another shortcut in the region and also go through the mountainous area. I don't really know about the other two, maybe they're just filler.
aaaaand, things I might change/improve:
  1. The topleft most island could perhaps be visited, allowing for less linearity and more pokemon/event possibilities
  2. More gymless towns. The trek from J all the way to L seems daunting. There should probably be a town at the curve or something.
  3. K seems awfully large and land based for something I envisioned to be similar to Mossdeep town. Might consider shrinking it in the future to allow more water for mid-late game water types
  4. Less linearity, unless linearity is some kind of ironic commentary on the of how linear pokemon games are. I'd either like more stuff to do between towns with gyms and more backtracking/sidequests/locations

Thoughts/comments/suggestions/ideas? I might improve the map design later.

EDIT: Also, I have been following discussion of this thread nonstop. As for weather or not salt/fresh water is in the first town, I think the landmass and map design makes it a bit hard to be a water source to the sea instead of just a river, but I can definitely see the sea (pardon the pun) being in the first town, as well as the river. Either or both seem like they'd fit fine.

Is the map I made become the de facto layout for smogsmog? Seeing as it's in the OP and liked by Chou Toshio, I think it might be. Thanks a lot guys! I'll sort of explain a bit of my thinking about designing the map in the following spoiler.

• Seeing the starting town designated at point B and the pokemon league at point M in doughboy's post, I had to decide where to put the 8th gym town. Traditionally, the 8th gym town is usually right next (or very close) to the pokemon league (Viridian in Kanto, Blackthorn in Johto, Sootopolis in Hoenn, Sunnyshore in Sinnoh). That leaves either A or L to be the final gym town. I entertained ideas about making A the final gym as it'd be an interesting twist and backtracking, but I decided against it and decided to follow in the "traditional" linear approach and have the 8th gym at L
  • Because of the mountainous "teeth," I made the map become a pretty much linear curve going counterclockwise. The original map did not even have a land route between town F and town D, but I added that later since without it, it felt way too linear. The land route can be "blocked" until later, but I wanted to allow the player a easy way to backtrack without going a roundabout way, as well as unlocking new areas through backtracking.
  • I added E as an island city because I wanted to make use of weezing's gas cloud islands. This also reminded me of Dewford town in Hoenn. Additionally, I wanted a way for players to have water pokemon early-mid game (coast near town C, an island town) as well as mid-late game (going to K, final surf to the pokemon league)
  • The blue important place icons I just sprinkled at the end. The one in the upper right I envisioned to be a postgame battle facility, or event/easter egg place. The two above each other in the left-middle was supposed to be a cave to allow the player to collect cave pokemon, as well as a way to let the player have another shortcut in the region and also go through the mountainous area. I don't really know about the other two, maybe they're just filler.
  1. The topleft most island could perhaps be visited, allowing for less linearity and more pokemon/event possibilities
  2. More gymless towns. The trek from J all the way to L seems daunting. There should probably be a town at the curve or something.
  3. K seems awfully large and land based for something I envisioned to be similar to Mossdeep town. Might consider shrinking it in the future to allow more water for mid-late game water types
  4. Less linearity, unless linearity is some kind of ironic commentary on the of how linear pokemon games are. I'd either like more stuff to do between towns with gyms and more backtracking/sidequests/locations

EDIT: Also, I have been following discussion of this thread nonstop. As for weather or not salt/fresh water is in the first town, I think the landmass and map design makes it a bit hard to be a water source to the sea instead of just a river, but I can definitely see the sea (pardon the pun) being in the first town, as well as the river. Either or both seem like they'd fit fine.

Only thing I commented on them with is that a lot of the routes are very similar in length, making only real ideal breeding route between H and I. It still looks great over all though.

Also not a lot of surfing. Got a biased on it? xD

I've got a solution to both the linearity problem and your problem with the trek between J and L:
Put a route between the blue dot a little east of D which goes directly south, but only 1 way. Add a town at the southern intersection. It can be in the mountains and the way north is downhill.

--

Also, I just realized that (unless this is in the southern hemisphere of the PokeWorld), we should really have some place for ice types. And that place would be in the north. But we're starting in the north. Thankfully, the only Ice types on the viability list are Kyurem, Weavile, Cloyster, Froslass, and Abomasnow, but there's got to a place for them and it has to be in the first 5 towns (unless we have some event with odd weather). I'm glad we're finally considering our place in the region while choosing pokemon, because that is important.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
let people obtain rufflet and bidoof early game, best HM slaves you can get (there's also tropius as well)

either that or just remove the need for not useful in battle HM moves (basically everything that isn't surf, waterfall, or defog)
Hawlucha is also a great HM slave and is on the viability ranking list (albeit barely hanging on to the bottom of it)

Instead of making the player give up a moveslot(s) for HMs, why not after a gym has been defeated, go to specific place in a town and have an NPC say something along the lines of: hey, you got the gym badge! Here's this dolly that can move rocks, or this boat you can use to travel across water, or this scuba gear for diving! You could make certain NPCs want to battle you to test your worth, or make the player go on a side quest to receive the HM. I don't know about names for each item, you can steal them from pokemon zeta/omnicron.

I have a suggestion which chould be useful:

What if trainers can give you teambuilding advice if you lose to them. For example:

Your team seems weak to Talonflame, a Rotom Wash might help you.
Charizard X just runs through this team, get a Rhyperior or something.

This could help with teambuilding and generally seems pretty useful for newer players. It can also act a sort of RMT like thing.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
I've got a solution to both the linearity problem and your problem with the trek between J and L:
Put a route between the blue dot a little east of D which goes directly south, but only 1 way. Add a town at the southern intersection. It can be in the mountains and the way north is downhill.

--

Also, I just realized that (unless this is in the southern hemisphere of the PokeWorld), we should really have some place for ice types. And that place would be in the north. But we're starting in the north. Thankfully, the only Ice types on the viability list are Kyurem, Weavile, Cloyster, Froslass, and Abomasnow, but there's got to a place for them and it has to be in the first 5 towns (unless we have some event with odd weather). I'm glad we're finally considering our place in the region while choosing pokemon, because that is important.
I like your suggestion of the one-way route. Alternatively it could be two-way, but need to be cleared out/made accessible from the south.

I also have a couple of ideas. First, the blue location dot between J and L could be the place where Ice types are encountered, since it's directly on the mountaintop. Kyurem could be found at the dungeon's end (obviously this would take a proper proposal when we get there).

Finally, every new Pokemon region introduces new Pokemon... except ours. What if there was a post-E4 location where you can catch CAPmons? It'd be a shame if we didn't include Smogon's very own Pokemon in Smogon's region.

Stealth Rock should be the first HM and cannot be deleted by the move deleter. (the HM itself should be incorporated in several puzzles throughout the game to check if the player still has the pokemon with it in his/her party) Note the "Use Stealth Rock on Every Team!" on the back cover of the game.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
Stealth Rock should be the first HM and cannot be deleted by the move deleter. (the HM itself should be incorporated in several puzzles throughout the game to check if the player still has the pokemon with it in his/her party) Note the "Use Stealth Rock on Every Team!" on the back cover of the game.
I really hate how the Move Deleter cannot delete HM moves in the real games. Please please can we change that.

However, I really like the idea of making Stealth Rock a field HM move required to get through areas, as you suggested. That's just so silly and appropriate at the same time.

I really hate how the Move Deleter cannot delete HM moves in the real games. Please please can we change that.

However, I really like the idea of making Stealth Rock a field HM move required to get through areas, as you suggested. That's just so silly and appropriate at the same time.
You're surrounded by non-Mega Charizards, Volcaronas, Yanmegas. How will we ever get out?

Also not a lot of surfing. Got a biased on it? xD
Well, I generally prefer games with more land than water, as having to surf and super repel through Hoenn in the late game is a bit irritating. I prefer the idea of there just being a few pure water routes.

Put a route between the blue dot a little east of D which goes directly south, but only 1 way. Add a town at the southern intersection. It can be in the mountains and the way north is downhill
I was thinking of connecting C-D to L as either a one way path, or a late game backtrack route.

For ice types, I was thinking the main mountainous areas (either through cave or J-L) could work like Mt. Coronet, but again, there's still a lot of obligatory locations like the haunted ghost area, fire pokemon place, etc that I haven't even considered. That's what those helpful blue dots are for! For tagging interesting location places.

IIRC, the move deleter is the only way you can delete HM moves in-game.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually like the Land / Water balance-- looks good. I see Route 2 (coastline) giving a really interesting early access to Pokemon like Slowpoke, Corphish, and Dwebble. We'll see when we get there anyway.

I actually like the Land / Water balance-- looks good. I see Route 2 (coastline) giving a really interesting early access to Pokemon like Slowpoke, Corphish, and Dwebble. We'll see when we get there anyway.
Dwebble/Crustle are there to breed Smogon Rocks Stealth Rock onto stuff right? It might make things easier if there were a list of pokemon that were necessary for egg moves, assuming we're not changing game mechanics or adding move tutors for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)