Other Counter That Pokemon! (Final Battle Friday @ 12 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Deo-D...

A Bold spread with more defensive investment such as

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Night Shade

...lets it take Greninja's U-Turn, much less from Scizor's Knock Offs, and still only get 3HKO'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump 98.4% of the time. It also has better synergy with our specially defensive Ferrothorn.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Deoxys-D: 130-153 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja U-turn vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Deoxys-D: 101-120 (33.2 - 39.4%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO
64+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Deoxys-D: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
64+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Deoxys-D: 80-96 (26.3 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
64+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Deoxys-D: 55-66 (18 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

This way it can more safely Taunt the Scizor without needing to Recover first, only taking about 84 - 107% from a U-Turn, Knock Off, Bullet Punch chain.

{{I still think M-Blastoise is more prudent for now, and wait to see what we fill Team 2's final slots because of how easy a mono-Seismic Toss set could be to counter}}

EDIT: I'm not trynna to suggest two different sets... if consensus leans towards it this is the better version of my original pokémon and the version people should vote for.

Last edited:
Regarding the Deo-D...

A Bold spread with more defensive investment such as

Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Seismic Toss
Change Seismic Toss to Night Shade so that if a Ghost comes in, you can at least hit it to wear it down.

Last edited:
Sorry about being late for closing the picks. Summer classes just started and working full time has put a dent into my free time so I haven't been able to post all the nominations. However, it seems like there have been a few more noms made so I am happy I got delayed from making this post. Without further ado, I give you the nominations for Team 1's 5th pokemon:

Red Cat's Mega Gyarados
Random Passerby's Mega Aggron
Lolme's Mega Blastoise
Lether's Hippowdon
smlj's Empoleon
Jin White's Deoxys-Defense

As you guys can see, we did not get that many submissions in this round and I am partially to blame for that since I didn't nominate anything this round for the first time since I started paying attention to this thread. However, the selections are looking majestic as fuck since they're linked and I am also a fan of a few of the choices so I feel like voting will be very interesting. I personally wanted to have a few more submissions, but I think this is fine based on the pokemon nominated at least. Same rules apply: message me your 3 selections in the title and body of a private message. The voting will end Monday, June 30th.

Sorry about being late for closing the picks. Summer classes just started and working full time has put a dent into my free time so I haven't been able to post all the nominations. However, it seems like there have been a few more noms made so I am happy I got delayed from making this post. Without further ado, I give you the nominations for Team 1's 5th pokemon:

Red Cat's Mega Gyarados
Random Passerby's Mega Aggron
Lolme's Mega Blastoise
Lether's Hippowdon
smlj's Empoleon
Jin White's Deoxys-Defense

As you guys can see, we did not get that many submissions in this round and I am partially to blame for that since I didn't nominate anything this round for the first time since I started paying attention to this thread. However, the selections are looking majestic as fuck since they're linked and I am also a fan of a few of the choices so I feel like voting will be very interesting. I personally wanted to have a few more submissions, but I think this is fine based on the pokemon nominated at least. Same rules apply: message me your 3 selections in the title and body of a private message. The voting will end Monday, June 30th.
Are you sure you want 3 votes per person? We only have 6 nominations

Are you sure you want 3 votes per person? We only have 6 nominations
Yea, basically if there is a tie for the top spot, than there will be a round of voting among the tied nominations and everyone will only be allowed to vote for one pokemon then. This is the lowest amount garnered up so far, with the next lowest being 9 nominations, and I actually had the same thought as you but I didn't want to change it up too much I left it at 3 noms per person instead of 1.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to close the voting, but I have only gotten 2 people's votes. Can you guys please message me your top 3 picks for Team 1's 5th pokemon? I doubt anyone messaged Halcyon. since I did post the nominations but if you did for whatever reason, those votes will not count until you message me.

Sorry for the delay I was a lot busier yesterday than I expected. Here are the results:
Mega Blastoise-7
Deoxys-Defense-7

Mega Gyarados-5
Mega Aggron-2
Hippowdon-1

We have a tie! Alright this time I'm gonna have a tiebreaker voting (which I think has never been done before). Basically, you have to PM me and choose between Deoxys-Defense and Mega Blastoise. On one hand, you have a tank that has the utility of keeping SR off Team 1's side of the field that will come in handy for Kyu-B and most definitely Talonflame. On the other hand, you have a super bulky SR setter with reliable recovery that will help break Dragonite's Multiscale. It seems like a tough choice but it must be made. I really don't want to drag the voting out too far but the earliest I can think of having it done by is Saturday, July 5th.

Would be great to see some discussion to help the tiebreaker vote.

In trying to come up with Team 2's counters for either choice, I found this:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 400-473 (125 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 216-255 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 361-426 (79.5 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 507-595 (141.2 - 165.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 330-390 (91.1 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I voted for Blastoise first because I thought the spin was most important. Now I'm thinking a reliable defog or Scarf Exca might be Team 1's only hope.

Deoxys-D is a gamble because it takes on everything Team 2 has SO FAR barring a +2 Scizor, but it also invites Team 2 to capitalize on its single move and set up. Bottom line it's the Recovery that I'm liking on Deo-D; Blastoise will be worn down much more easily by U-Turn & hazards.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 400-473 (125 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 216-255 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 361-426 (79.5 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 507-595 (141.2 - 165.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 330-390 (91.1 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I voted for Blastoise first because I thought the spin was most important. Now I'm thinking a reliable defog or Scarf Exca might be Team 1's only hope.

Deoxys-D is a gamble because it takes on everything Team 2 has SO FAR barring a +2 Scizor, but it also invites Team 2 to capitalize on its single move and set up. Bottom line it's the Recovery that I'm liking on Deo-D; Blastoise will be worn down much more easily by U-Turn & hazards.
Hey! I want to nominate thundurus! =(

Anyways, as Jin stated those calcs show that if Team 2 can find a reliable SR setter M-Blastosie will have a hard time doing his job. Deo D set might be easy to exploit and potentially taunted by a fast pokemon, but from the 2 nominates I feel it has more chances to succeed, potentially setting rocks again after defog.

Hey! I want to nominate thundurus! =(

Anyways, as Jin stated those calcs show that if Team 2 can find a reliable SR setter M-Blastosie will have a hard time doing his job. Deo D set might be easy to exploit and potentially taunted by a fast pokemon, but from the 2 nominates I feel it has more chances to succeed, potentially setting rocks again after defog.

Well today is the 5th and this round has dragged on long enough. Here is the results from the tie breaker:
Deoxys-Defense-2
Mega Blastoise-1

I was hoping for a few more votes but there hasn't been any activity in days. Therefore, here is the new member of Team 2:

Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Night Shade

It is now Team 2's turn to select their final two pokemon. Team 1 now has their hazard setter so a RP'er or Defogger looks like it will be one of the picks. Time for some discussion!

Lolme post your Blastoise set again so we can vote for it :] (Since that's quite obviously out best (and really only) option for the last slot.)
We're nominating for the other team now and Mega Blastoise is not an option since that team already has Mega Scizor.

Edit LightningLuxray : It's okay. Just make sure your 1000th post is a better post :)

Last edited:
Just to get this straight, what are the current teams? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's as follows:
Team 1: U-Turn Lando, Support Ferro(non-SR), Cube, BU Talonflame, Rocky Helmet Deoxys-D
Team 2: SDef Dragonite, U-Turn Greninja, Bulky SD M-Scizor, Mixed LO Infernape
Right?
In the event that the list above is correct, imo the first thing Team 2 needs is a way to deal with Talonflame, which walks all over Team 2 right now - barring D-Nite, nothing else wants to be taking anything from Talon, and even D-Nite doesn't want to deal with it without Multiscale
At the same time, we also need a Spinner/Defogger to keep control of hazards - which is why I'd like to suggest the following:
Defensive Zapdos (Taken from the smogon Analysis)

########
name: Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog
move 4: Heat Wave
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
nature: Bold

This set allows us a lot of utility vs Team 1 - it's a hard check to Talonflame, and also hits Ferro hard with Heat Wave. With Roost + Pressure it can also pp stall if need, and the standard EVs allow it to max bulk while also offering SpA utility.

Really just need to close off Team 2 with a solid revenge killer and solid counter to Talonflame. Zapdos and Rotom-W are both fine for the team so no issues there. Wouldn't suggest T-tar just because Sandstorm just messes up Multiscale for Dragonite. Revenge killer should also be able to deal with Talonflame effectively while covering all general weaknesses, so keep that in mind. Thinking about our last mon is probably more important at this point than countering Talonflame because imo only Zapdos and Rotom-W work anyways and you can easily throw one of those in. Unless someone has some lower tier mon that is a literal perfect counter to BU Talonflame then the first pick should just be a set preference for Zapdos/Rotom-W.

For those thinking ahead, keep in mind a common scarfer probably won't cut it for a revenge killer- it needs to be able to deal with Talonflame too (who has priority), so either our Revenge Killer has to have faster priority or resist BB and be able to outspeed and OHKO. Preferably should be a special attacker so we don't have to worry about Defense boosts from Tflame.

Just to get this straight, what are the current teams? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's as follows:
Team 1: U-Turn Lando, Support Ferro(non-SR), Cube, BU Talonflame, Rocky Helmet Deoxys-D
Team 2: SDef Dragonite, U-Turn Greninja, Bulky SD M-Scizor, Mixed LO Infernape
Right?
In the event that the list above is correct, imo the first thing Team 2 needs is a way to deal with Talonflame, which walks all over Team 2 right now - barring D-Nite, nothing else wants to be taking anything from Talon, and even D-Nite doesn't want to deal with it without Multiscale
At the same time, we also need a Spinner/Defogger to keep control of hazards - which is why I'd like to suggest the following:
Defensive Zapdos (Taken from the smogon Analysis)

########
name: Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog
move 4: Heat Wave
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
nature: Bold

This set allows us a lot of utility vs Team 1 - it's a hard check to Talonflame, and also hits Ferro hard with Heat Wave. With Roost + Pressure it can also pp stall if need, and the standard EVs allow it to max bulk while also offering SpA utility.
Just a note, I think the EVs could just be max Def / max HP, since the SpA EVs are only their to OHKO Mega Pinsir. I'm not really sure what the Speed EVs are for though, may want to check that out lol.

Unless someone has some lower tier mon that is a literal perfect counter to BU Talonflame then the first pick should just be a set preference for Zapdos/Rotom-W.
Magnezone maybe? lol
Tbh I can't think of anything that has a faster prioruty than Talonflame, let alone being a special attacker. Sharpedo could attempt to outspeed with auqua jet but it is kind of mediocre, needs stealth rocks to attempt an OHKO and is not useful aside from that. We already have Dragonite with E-speed and the only other mons that learn it and could do well against team 2 are Deoxys-S and Arcanine (¿?).

Thundurus @ Expert belt
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP(¿?) / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This set basically aims to OHKO or 2HKO (the calcs were made before) Team 1 and prevent Deoxys D for setting up/recovering.

While not a counter, it deals with Talonflame
+1 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 189-222 (63 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 126-149 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
So bringing it before Talonflame means a win situation so long as Deoxys D has already been taken care off.

For the last spot something like Skarmory could take care of both defog and rocks and I belive (please check calcs) that 164 EVs outspeed and Taunts Deoxys D (possible moves between Taunt, SR, Defog, whirlwind, Rosst)

Lolme post your Blastoise set again so we can vote for it :] (Since that's quite obviously out best (and really only) option for the last slot.)
Can't choose Mega Blastoise cause we already have Mega Scizor.
Needing a hazard remover and revenger sucks. Rotom-W isn't really an option anymore. Good thing Tflame only has BB.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 56 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

EVs first: Outspeeds cube, rest thrown in power and bulk, calc'd with a 31/30/31/30/31/30 spread due to HP fire. Defogs while handling Tflame. No point in trying to deal with Landorus or Deoxys-D so I went for beating Ferrothorn (2hko from hp fire) and Cube (I admit I didn't do a calc on him, just checked to outspeed). Defog removes hazards for us and witha guaranteed OHKO from Surf we don't need to worry about SR anymore (using defog anyways) so last pick can have a wider range of options. Don't think there's much else to say about it.

Might want a cleric or status absorber for the final pick now that I look at it, Team 1 will be spamming Twave and WoW.

Last edited:
Can't choose Mega Blastoise cause we already have Mega Scizor.
Needing a hazard remover and revenger sucks. Rotom-W isn't really an option anymore. Good thing Tflame only has BB.

WIP-ish

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 56 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

EVs first: Outspeeds cube, rest thrown in power and bulk, calc'd with a 31/30/31/30/31/30 spread due to HP fire. Defogs while handling Tflame. No point in trying to deal with Landorus or Deoxys-D so I went for beating Ferrothorn (2hko from hp fire) and Cube (I admit I didn't do a calc on him, just checked to outspeed). Defog removes hazards for us and witha guaranteed OHKO from Surf we don't need to worry about SR anymore (using defog anyways) so last pick can have a wider range of options. Don't think there's much else to say about it.

Might want a cleric or status absorber for the final pick now that I look at it, Team 1 will be spamming Twave and WoW.
Yeah I didn't realize we were voting for Team 2 and not Team 1 :x

Now, hear me out.

I think that particular Zapdos is too defensive for the HO style of our team. It's a bit of a momentum killer even if it does stop Talonflame, and Team 2 strives on momentum.

Thundurus is awesome in that it dismantles all of Team 1's pokémon, BUT we were looking for hazard control now: we need a rocks setter and a defog/spinner.

We also REQUIRE something to beat Deo-D because it literally walls our entire team at present. Basically we're looking for something offensive (that can keep up momentum for Team 2) that either sets up or takes away rocks, and something that can break Deo-D.

Terrakion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Here's what it does: it OHKOs half of Team 1 and it sets up rocks and it keeps up offensive momentum and it ruins Deo-D - Team 1's only "safe" switch-in - with Toxic. Calcs as proof:

252 Atk Expert Belt Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 1022-1210 (284.6 - 337%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 370-439 (105.1 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Expert Belt Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 468-554 (103 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 178-210 (55.7 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

& importantly
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 204-241 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Expert Belt burned Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 511-605 (142.3 - 168.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

HOWEVER, this guy DOES NOT counter BU Talonflame, because +1 Brave Bird has a good chance to OHKO. This means it's imperative that our last 'mon be a complete stop to BU Talonflame (and probably also a defogger/spinner - Scarf Excadrills for everyone!)

There are a few things we can change. Rock Slide is safer than Stone Edge, but it's only a 3HKO on Landorus unless we run LO. Toxic could be replaced with Taunt to stop Deo-D from setting up rocks at all, but then we have no way of taking it out. Focus Sash is NOT a good idea imo because of the Rocky Helmet users, and w/o Expert Belt or Life Orb he can't guarantee the OHKO on Kyu-B & Ferrothorn. LO X-Scissor also fails to 2HKO the Bold Deo-D unfortunately.

It does everything we could ask EXCEPT stop a +1 Talonflame (which is damn important to stop) - - and it does it all really well while sticking to the playstyle of Team 2.

Last edited:
Jin White That much attack probably isn't needed to OHKO Talonflame with Rock Slide and Kyurem-B with Close Combat, I can't calc atm but maybe you can see how much defense is needed to 100% live a +1 Brave Bird?

My vote still goes for Zapdos, albiet maybe Toxic over Heat Wave, since we have Scizor to set up on Ferrothorn and Infernape and getting out Deoxys-D while having a defogger that can take a hit would be lovely.

Jin White That much attack probably isn't needed to OHKO Talonflame with Rock Slide and Kyurem-B with Close Combat, I can't calc atm but maybe you can see how much defense is needed to 100% live a +1 Brave Bird?

My vote still goes for Zapdos, albiet maybe Toxic over Heat Wave, since we have Scizor to set up on Ferrothorn and Infernape and getting out Deoxys-D while having a defogger that can take a hit would be lovely.
+1 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 112 Def Terrakion: 273-322 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I could cut the speed to 200 so that it still outruns everything (Team 1's fastest threat is Lando-I), leaving a solid 196 EVs for ATK. Can't pull much more from attack or it starts to miss out on OHKOing Kyu-B. I'd want Rock Slide, but a 3HKO on Lando means it comes in for free. Is that important?

196 Atk Expert Belt Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 449-533 (98.8 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
196 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 171-202 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The EV spread would be: 196 Atk / 112 Def / 200 Spe

The thing is, it's never going to be a counter to Talonflame, only a very shaky check. Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs is going to wear down Terrakion really fast (which is why I really don't want to run LO) to the point where Brave Bird is going to kill. Unboosted BB is a 2HKO anyway. Terrakion's job is to handle everything else.

So yes we need a stop to Talonflame and Zapdos could very well be it, but defensive Zapdos means a free substitute for Kyurem-B. Zapdos also can't touch Deo-D and loses the Pressure Stall war by a long shot. Toxic > Heat Wave alleviates this, trading the opponent's free switch into Kyu-B/Deo-D for a free switch into Ferro. Defogging helps the opponent's team more than it helps our own, while Excadrill could spin & handle a +1 BU Talonflame.

Last edited:
Could Bisharp or Ttar be consider for a spot? basically i'm looking for somthing to take Deoxys D as fast as possible. Also, how about choosing a defogger/spiner for this round and a SR setter ofr the next one (or the other way)? so that Terrakion as hazard setter doesn't compete against Zapdos as defogger.

Could Bisharp or Ttar be consider for a spot? basically i'm looking for somthing to take Deoxys D as fast as possible. Also, how about choosing a defogger/spiner for this round and a SR setter ofr the next one (or the other way)? so that Terrakion as hazard setter doesn't compete against Zapdos as defogger.
Support Ttar's a good idea. It handles Deo-D & BU Talonflame & sets up rocks, and it also gives Team 2 the option of running Sand Rush Excadrill for even more offensive pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)