Gen 3 ADV NU

When is this tier planned to be released on PS? I'm excited to see some of my gen 3 favorites in battle Also, what would be good hold items? Since Life Orb wouldn't have existed yet, all I can think of is the choice items and leftovers. Are there any other good items?
ADV OU is still in beta, so I dunno when or if this will be added. You can probably find kids in the Old Gens room that would like to play it, though. Choice Band is the only choice item in ADV, so it's basically that, lefties, and lum berry. I might be forgetting something; obviously Marowak rolls with Thick Club. Chesto-Rest is plausible. The full ADV item list is here~

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Just as an fyi and update. The Smogon Dex now reflects the tier list in the OP with the added addition of Torkoal and NFEs. I tagged the important NFEs as NU though all are legal. http://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/tags/nu

I did not move Persian and a few others due to the unpredictable-ness effect that they'd have on the tier, as it is right now it's extremely balanced and I don't really want to add anything that will disrupt that.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Umm I hope that only a couple of months is not reviving super dead threads.. I was just wandering parasect's analysis as I was looking to find additional tiers where my little bug is usable and then I saw my BABY MAWILE is viable. I need this tier right now <3
Is anyone up for some of this? :)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Ah nice, I had a battle against Trikrom and then I built a team in a rush and got kinda smashed lol.. I'll work on trying to make a proper team or two and then I'll hit ya up when I see you on

plusle first tbh

or maw, FUCK maw

e: srsly tho huntail is broken as is mawpass into sub pidgeot its not even funny. subsalac plusle is hard as fuck to deal with (im prolly just rlly bad but w/e) and chan is pretty good too. smth that I really have liked is dd taunt pupitar, u can just invalidate stuff like maw and then u dd in their face and nothing beat +2 larv but wartortle and whiscash (which is admittedly god) which is ez af to chip (not whiscash tho!).

raticate is a deadly late-game cleaner, people need to use it more. cb double edge strong @_@

cm sableye is such a threat, oml. hp dark/fire punch is the shit, gets great coverage on a whole lot of stuff. run cm rest or cm recover, either is fine, or you could run double recovery, thats not bad either (but 2 attacks is better imo).

pidgeot lookin fine. srsly u cant go two steps without birds check (banded krow and pidge are the biggies here) otherwise have fun eating banded drill peck which is gonna hurt like hell.

I cant go through every threat, but here are some others:

bd poliwhirl. beats stuff down with salac drum. this should self explanatory tbh.

WEATHER TEAMS. Huntail, Relicanth, you name it. SunnySynth Bellossom. They're out ther ready to wreck if you don't prepare.

baton pass. this playstyle is honestly 10x more threatening in this tier than any other, at least to me. It's just so easy, and it's not easy to break chains.

there's much more but I highly recommend you stick around and play!

Last edited:
You guys should really, REALLY, -->REALLY<-- (i cant emphasize this enough) fix the ingame tier list... there a lot of stuff that is NU ingame but is actually banned and cant be played (like girafig) and a lot of things that are supposed to be UU and show as banned in game but you actually can play with it, like arbok and cacturne....

I mean, a lot of unwary players will let pass those uu playable pokes because they think they arent nu. I'm too lazy to test all of the uu tier but i bet there are some other things playable there that are showing as banned.

On the mettagame; i already tested a BP ariados lock and for my surprise just a few games later i saw other players trying it... hehe be prepared!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
...oh wow you do seem to be right

The Immortal please fix this. There seem to be quite a few issues. The teambuilder is showing Arbok, Cacturne, Dunsparce, Flareon, Hitmonchan, Kingler, Octillery, Sableye, Seviper, Shedinja, Shuckle, Tangela, Yanma, (and I'm sure I may have missed a few other Pokemon) as banned but they are definitely ADV NU.

It's also showing Girafarig as legal, which is banned.

It should probably also include lots of NFEs properly in the NU tierlist because they are prominent threats that people won't know to look for. Haunter, Diglett, Golbat, Graveler, Lairon, Poliwhirl, Magby, Pikachu, Pupitar, Seadra, Abra, Vigoroth, and Houndour all come to mind. Some of these are literally top 10 mons in the tier and people won't know to use them.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
...oh wow you do seem to be right

The Immortal please fix this. There seem to be quite a few issues. The teambuilder is showing Arbok, Cacturne, Dunsparce, Flareon, Hitmonchan, Kingler, Octillery, Sableye, Seviper, Shedinja, Shuckle, Tangela, Yanma, (and I'm sure I may have missed a few other Pokemon) as banned but they are definitely ADV NU.

It's also showing Girafarig as legal, which is banned.

It should probably also include lots of NFEs properly in the NU tierlist because they are prominent threats that people won't know to look for. Haunter, Diglett, Golbat, Graveler, Lairon, Poliwhirl, Magby, Pikachu, Pupitar, Seadra, Abra, Vigoroth, and Houndour all come to mind. Some of these are literally top 10 mons in the tier and people won't know to use them.
It looks like the list was pulled from PO or one of the old gen sites like rby2k10, instead of smogon

Octillery @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Blast
- Surf
- Thunder Wave

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Surf

Togetic @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Toxic

Swalot @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 56 Def / 128 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- Explosion

Trapinch @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Quick Attack

I'm using this team atm, it's nothing special (twave spam+slow hard hitters) but it's working well considering that the original intent was to build a team for fun with clamperl.(i'm 11-3 with it).

Great. Do you remember that?

It was the first tour I played on Smogon. I just made it to the quarter finals (losing from Hantsuki, btw tour won by CBB vs McM). I lost my NU ADV teams too. But if I'll build/find something interesting, I'll play some games on it. ;)

Last edited:
IMO Haunter is the best poke in the tier hands down.

Outspeeds everything
ohko almost everything with petaya
OHKO/2hko a LOT of things without petaya
Counters the 2 other dangerous sweepers of the tier (chan and huntail)
Doesnt really have a true hard counter
Has a big enough movepool to run an offensive set and/or utility set
Because of that its great even on stall teams (a combination of lickitung, kecleon and haunter is VERY hard to break through)

Last edited:
It has been over 2 years since this topic was originally created, but I still feel the need to mention a couple of things regarding PO and ADV NU, primarily because I think it is awesome that ADV NU is currently on PS!

ADV NU used to be played without having the NFEs available in the most common communities, and I believe that includes Smogon. NFEs weren't allowed without being specifically listed as being allowed in all of your tiers until the decision was made to allow all NFEs in DP UU.

Due to this, myself and a few other users (such as shrapn3l and M Dragon) lobbied to have the tier be playable without the NFEs. Despite this, PO decided to continue allowing NFEs in ADV NU, so long as we actually tried to maintain some balance in ADV NU with the NFEs allowed.

Currently on PO, these are the only NFEs banned from ADV NU:
Chansey (BL)
Clamperl (UU)
Kadabra (which is listed as OU on PO, I assume because someone thought it was too good for BL? idfk)
Haunter (was banned)
Pikachu (UU)
Scyther (was banned)
Vigoroth (was banned)
Wynaut (UU)

PO took its ADV tiers from UU Stadium back in the day, which is why there's a few differences between the tiers on Smogon and the tiers on PO.

Comparing your ADV NU list with PO's, the following are allowed in Smogon's ADV NU, but not on PO:
Arbok
Dunsparce
Furret
Octillery
Sableye
Shedinja
Shuckle
Yanma

I don't think PO includes anything that Smogon excludes currently.

With all that said, have some ideas that work/worked on PO:
Sub / Toxic / Psychic / Thunderbolt Haunter (beats almost everything)
Specially Defensive Flareon (one of ~two things that can stand up to Haunter with the other being Chimecho; Wish support is awesome, but RestTalk beats 90% of sun teams on its own)
CB Diglett + Haunter (sorry Flareon, Haunter wins)
Hydro / HP Elec / Ice Beam / Rain Huntail (no comment needed I think)
HP Rock / Sludge Bomb / SD / Sunny Day Weepinbell (surprised most Flareon and other mons that expect the standard Solarbeam / HP Fire)
DD Pupitar (gotta keep your bulky Waters / Tangela healthy or you lose)
Bulk Up Vigoroth (Slack Off damage, hit like a truck)
Crawdaunt (been mentioned earlier, hits stupidly hard, and can get past physical walls with STAB and Ice Beam)

I might have to hop onto PS! and play a bit of ADV NU now :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)