Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just how many of these are switching into Keldeo in Rain?
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon in Rain: 241-285 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That was an example of one the bulkiest walls in the metagame - being 2HKOed in Rain with full investment.
Relying on rain doesn't help the Keldeo for S cause, as independent effectiveness is a staple of S-rank. Keldeo is fine where it is in A+ and I wouldn't even protest if it dropped to A. Zebstrika did a good job of explaining.

. Keldeo is fine where it is in A+ and I wouldn't even protest if it dropped to A. Zebstrika did a good job of explaining.
I was arguing against the motion to drop it to A, I'm not supporting any motions for it to go up - but considering it's raw power both inside and outside Rain imo it should stay A+

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No there are more than those 5 mons (M-Venusaur, Amoonguss, Gyarados, Dragonite, Azumarill) can take hits from Keldeo. Also the lati twins, Sylveon/Clefable/Togekiss, Slowbro, Starmie, Chesnaught, and Vest Tornadus-T and Tangrowth are a few more off the top of my head (notice all of these also OHKO Keldeo back, so no tanking your way through). No, not all of them can avoid 2HKOs in every circumstance but that's where being so specs-reliant sucks. Even if Keldeo manages to nail Venusaur with HP flying, it's not crippled, it can still come in later against something slower and nab a Synthesis. And then the Venusaur user has a super easy time switching to just about anything else out there now that Keldeo is locked into hidden power. It sucks that Keldeo mainly gets 2HKOs rather than OHKOs because opponents can save their half health pokemon and switch in something that resists whatever move it's using.

In particular every regenerator mon in the meta is such a good switch in to specs/scarf Keldeo, because all they need to do is scout the move it's using and switch to a resist, barely taking any damage after they switch out, with their passive recovery they get around Keldeo's way of punishing it with Scald. Well, that and they all have nice typing to take its moves and hit back hard. None of them are too crippled by sub+endeavor either unless it's paired with a pursuit user, because 2-3 switch outs and they're healthy again. Starmie, Lati@s, and Sylveon all can take on sub+endeavor no problem as well.

There also isn't any offensive mon as high ranked as Keldeo with as barren of a movepool. Every Keldeo has a water STAB (or even two, lol) and Secret Sword, and then it's hidden power, icy wind, calm mind, sub, endeavor, and it runs out there. Those pokemon I listed earlier show how water+fighting isn't amazing coverage. It's decent, but it still leaves a lot of holes, since they don't cover each other's resists.

Hidden power and Icy Wind are such low base power that it's so risky to mispredict, since there's maybe one pokemon on a team you're trying to hit with it. Something like Scarf chomp doesn't have as much of that problem, it can, for example, click stone edge against that charizard x to screw the opponent whether they stay in or go to the predicted togekiss switch. But Hidden power and icy wind are so niche in what they hit, there's no breathing room like that, 90% of the meta will exploit it to set up. Calm Mind is good, and life orb+calm mind imo is way better than specs, since you don't have prediction issues which is, if you can't tell, the thing that I think makes Keldeo a poor wall breaker. But even Life Orb sets take away from Keldeo's ability to counter a few threats like Bisharp and Tyranitar

Also, 108 speed looks a lot slower when nearly everything faster carries a super effective stab, ex. Lati@s, Thundurus, Greninja (extrasensory/HP grass/Grass Knot), Tornadus-T, Talonflame, Mega Manectric, Deoxys-S, Alakazam, Raikou. It's pretty easy to check Keldeo when darn near every pokemon that happens to be able to take a hit from it or outspeed also has a super effective STAB, and that makes its decent bulk only useful for switching into the stuff Keldeo checks, rather than tanking its way through its own checks.
You are WAY oversimplifying how easy it is to check/counter Keldeo. I've had matches where my opponent has combinations of counters like Latios + AV Azumarill, and I'm running Hydro Pump / Scald / Secret Sword / Hidden Power Flying (no Icy Wind to break to Latios). I'm running typical Pursuit support so I can trap and kill Latios at basically any point. Azumarill is eventually burnt so it's crippled and I can bypass it. Two of what are being regarded as good offensive Keldeo answers aren't even that difficult to deal with. Mega Venu frankly should not be used as a sole Keldeo check because it can get burnt and then brought into Hydro Pump 2HKO range at some point, or even just flat 2HKOed by HP Flying. DNite has to watch out for Scald burns too, though Lum Berry is a thing that can help it, but it also has to watch for Icy Wind. Latios and weakened Latias can also be beat by Icy Wind. Amoon is a solid counter. Gyara has to watch out for burn unless it's RestTalk and can't check it if it's Mega Evolved. Sylveon and Togekiss are rare/mediocre (please don't quote usage stats), Clefable is 2HKOed by Hydro Pump so I don't even know why you mentioned that, Starmie is bad, Chesnaught is annihilated by HP Flying + doesn't like Scald burns + takes a lot from Secret Sword and even Hydro, AV Torn-T is burnt and killed on the next switch-in if SR is up, and Tangrowth is not that good/worn down easily with SR + Scald burn. Almost every single Keldeo check/counter has flaws and can be eliminated with them.

Keldeo can be revenge killed by numerous faster Pokemon, but that's why it belongs in A+, and not S. It's easily one of the best Pokemon in A+.

Keldeo is the only poke in a+/s that is not either a mega, was introduced this generation, or was ubers last generation.

Yeah, it's that good.

Zebstrika has expressed the same thoughts I have regarding Keldeo's shortcomings in more details than I have in a previous post. Specs Keldeo is difficult to use against balanced teams as selecting the wrong move means you have to switch out. There was even one time that a MILOTIC COUNTERED KELDEO via Mirror Coat since Secret Sword did not 2KO her. I love Keldeo but I feel slapping anyone who dismisses lower viability water types as shit. The only times I've been swept by a Keldeo (Calm Mind) was when i was trying out a stall team. Of course, he is a Stallbreaker. I don't see it more than an A rank threat, his strengths are solid OU material, I'm perplexed by those who find him S rank worthy over the others in A+ rank.

Greninja is catching up to become one of my favorite OU Pokemon too. He seems to have an easier time dealing with most of the Pokemon that would switch on Keldeo. Who is arguing for Greninja going to S rank?

Edit: I do think Rotom HEAT should be B- rank. It checks and even counters many Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Mawile, Scizor, Pinsir due to Overheat. Also one of the best answers to Talonflame and Chaizard Y. It does have advantages over Wash by having more resistances, notably resistance to electric and bug (U-turn), gets the immunity to 2 statuses, and Overheat kills anything that is weak to it. The weakness to SR and water attacks is a disadvantage over Wash.

Last edited:
Prediction isnt even that much of an issue with Keldeo as he has one of the most spammable moves in the game with Scald. However i agree that he is not S-rank material and should stay in A+, as he is very good but not quite S rank good. A would be to low for him imo.

Sooo about my previous
Id like to nominate Rotom-H for B- rank. He checks a TON of the top threats in the tier such as Charizard-y, Aegislash, Thundurus, Pinsir, Skarmory, Mamoswine, Scizor Talonflame, and the mighty Mega Mawile. He does have flaws like a Stealth Rocks weakness but despite this is still a fantastic pivot and status spreader as Pain Split somewhat covers this weakness. He can also function as a scout with Volt Switch and hits pretty hard with overheat. I think we can all agree that Arcanine is pretty bad outside of countering Mega Mawile and if he made C rank I believe Rotom-H deserves B rank because Rotom-H can do what Arcanine does and more and is a great pokemon even outside of countering Mawile.
Sooooo.... about Rotom-H, is he moving up? Because he is definately more useful than the rest of the guys in C+ and arguably the guys in B- (Mega Absol is ranked above him... really?) Rotom-H deserves at least B- maybe even B

Sooooo.... about Rotom-H, is he moving up? Because he is definately more useful than the rest of the guys in C+ and arguably the guys in B- (Mega Absol is ranked above him... really?) Rotom-H deserves at least B- maybe even B
Rotom-Wash

... Fine I'll give a better explanation. Rotom-Wash exists, and since you can only take one Rotom form with you into battle, the majority of people choose Wash for its great typing (One weakness with Levitate), decent enough movepool (which Heat shares, but doesn't have a non-electric STAB that keeps it's stats intact) and the ability to check many top OU threats (Talonflame, Garchomp, Landorus, Azumarill, Tyranitar... List goes on)
And as for moving it to B... lol no.
If Staraptor is B- despite its ability to wreck havoc on anything not named Aegilsash, I doubt Rotom-Heat could bring enough to the table for B... Or even B- TBH.
I mean, Rotom-H is UU, while both Weavile and Staraptor, who are BL (Banned from UU) are just one rank above them, and at least they can be out on a team with Mammoswine/Talonflame if need be, while Rotom-H fights for the spot with Wash, and will lose around 80% of the time.
(and as for M-Absol, it's pretty good. Don't diss it's Magic Bounce)
Edit: kinda sorta ninjad except not really

Last edited:
While I don't agree with Keldeo being S-rank, there is no way it is dropping to A. It is easily one of the top A+ 'mons in the meta. For example, you SAY more 'mons wall Keldeo, but really, there are no other common. Also, 5 'mons is nowhere near a large portion. Also, none of the pokemon you listed enjoy switching in on a Scald burn, since it shuts 3 of them down and cripples M-Venu. Only Amoonguss can afford to be burned in a match. On top of that, each one of the counters you listed can be hit with a coverage move. The two grass types don't like HP Flying (especially Amoonguss which is forced to invest heavily in Physical Defense for Azumarill), CBBNite doesn't like Icy Wind, and the two water types don't like HP Electric, which has been rising in popularity. I would also love to see any of these handle SubEndeavor Keldeo. Yes it is prediction reliant, but that is a two way street, and one can use Keldeo to play mind games as well. Also, as far as I can tell, the only 'mon that can take less than 40% from any one of Keldeo's moves is AV Azumarill... Keldeo also doesn't need any more coverage than what it has got, so saying it has a shitty movepool doesn't mean anything. 108 is a fine speed tier, beating every wall in the meta, which it is all it needs to beat since its, ya know, a WALLbreaker. It also outspeeds a huge portion of offensive 'mons in the meta, including the Zards, Landorus, Garchomp, non-Sand Rush Exca, Bisharp, Kyu-B, and M-Garde. As for priority, only Gale Wings Brave Bird and Aerilate Quick Attack are doing a lot of damage, while being able to easily handle Shadow Sneaks, Aqua Jets, Mach Punches, and Ice Shards. So while Keldeo may not deserve S-Rank, it CERTAINLY doesn't deserve anything below A+.
What you say is correct from a certain point of view and Keldeo is theoretically (and in some ways practically) a very good wallbreaker but fails to consistently do its job when it matters. You say that each particular mon doesnt appreciate a particular coverage move but in reality, what is stopping them from switching out of said coverage moves, especially when these moves are pretty weak, even with Specs, and predicting the switch is a risky affair for the Keldeo user. You also mentioned the fact that it "doesn't need anymore than the coverage it has", the generic movepool of Keldeo is Hydro Pump, Scald, Secret Sword and either a HP of choice or Icy wind. That last spot is so crowded for choice and completely determines what counters it. Icy wind? Mega-Venu, Gyarados, Slowbro, Slyveon, Amoongus (despite being Super Effective, it doesn't 2HKO standard Amoon spread) AV and CB Azu. HP Electric? M-Venu, Amoon, CBBNite, Sylveon, Lati@s, pretty much any bulky grass type, you get the picture. Not only this, the very wide range of offensive checks is scary. The ones I mentioned all KO Keldeo guaranteed, outspeed, are very viable and common. The ones you mentioned that Keldeo can outspeed didn't really have any reason to stay in on Keldeo, even if they did outspeed, a lot of them could come in on a choice locked Keldeo if the need arose and M-Garde specifically completely rapes Keldeo even though it doesn't outspeed (Specs Hydro Pump does Max 85%) so not sure why you mentioned it. My point is that it cannot consistently break walls unless 110% predictions, which is bad, considering it's, ya know, an A+ WALLbreaker, and it has a tough time beating the many viable offensive threats that outspeed it unless the team is built around supporting it, and even some that don't. Oh and fishing for hax isn't really a reliable way to break through counters in any scenario, if that was correct then we could say "Critical Hits beat Baton Pass therefore Baton Pass isn't OP" and we all know how incorrect that statement is.

Fairies have done next to nothing to dent dragonites success other than stopping it from spamming outrage freely without thinking twice. From what i can tell it gained usage thanks to the awesome combination of multiscale, great defensive stats, access to extremespeed (something no other dragon except dragon arceus has), ability to use weakness policy better than any other pokemon, dragon dance, movepool that makes some legendarys envious, enormous attack stat, and generally great stats overall. It's movepool is so amazing that it can thus have many roles, such as a sweeper, wall, supporter, and many other roles. You can use Dragonite for whatever purpose you wish and it will succeed at it. This is why it should be S ranking.

Fairies have done next to nothing to dent dragonites success other than stopping it from spamming outrage freely without thinking twice. From what i can tell it gained usage thanks to the awesome combination of multiscale, great defensive stats, access to extremespeed (something no other dragon except dragon arceus has), weakness policy , dragon dance, movepool that makes some legendarys envious, enormous attack stat, and generally great stats overall. It's movepool is so amazing that it can thus have many roles, such as a sweeper, wall, supporter, and many other roles. You can use Dragonite for whatever purpose you wish and it will succeed at it. This is why it should be S ranking.
Before you continue posting, Dragonite was just recently denied a promotion to A+ like VERY recently. With it being so soon after being denied a promotion from A to A+, you really think it is capable of making the huge jump to S Rank?!

Dragonite is a great pokemon but there is no way it should be in the same Rank as a Pokemon such as Aegislash which pretty much looked at the metagame and said "Come at me bro".

It has 80 Base Speed which is slow and has a reliance on Multiscale which means it needs Spin/Defog support more urgently than other things in S Rank.

Edit your posts, don't make like three in a row. Anyways, 1.) it's not better than Garchomp at all, maybe a few aspects but otherwise n, 2.) it got denied to move up to A+, so I don't think it'll be moving up any time soon, 3.) it's nowhere near S Rank material.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Saying Dragonite is better than Garchomp is something that's up for debate, but saying he's better in every way is just silly. Garchomp has better defenses without relying on Multiscale, as well as much more Speed and isn't weak to Stealth Rock, unlike Dragonite. Again, saying Dragonite is better overall is up to debate, but there are things that Garchomp does much better than Dragonite.

I agree with what you just said and understand. However lets look at what Garchomp has over Dragonite and consider the following.
1: Speed: while Garchomp is indeed faster, Dragonite is able to counter this due to extremespeed and ability to take very strong super effective hits with ease thanks to multiscale. Couple that with extremespeed, weakness policy, and dragon dance , making it faster in just one turn. So in this way, Dragonite is actually faster than Garchomp if you take this into account. Also factoring in multiscale, Dragonite only has a 2x weakness to ice! Dragon, Fairy, and Rock type attacks merely do 1x damage to Dragonite on the first hit. Neutral hits are treated as not very effective, Fire, Water, Bug, and fighting attacks are treated as 4x resisted, and Grass type moves do a pathetic 8x resisted damage to Dragonite Garchomps higher base speed is worthless compared to extremespeed, this amazing ability known as multiscale, better special attack, and ability to always get at least one dragon dance up. That's not all! Being a Dragon/Flying type, Dragonite is not affected by your Garchomp's Earthquake, and is immune to spikes and toxic spikes! Also Dragonite has a vastly superior movepool, compensating for its lack of Swords Dance. Face it. Garchomp is a great pokemon but its not even in the same league as Dragonite.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I agree with what you just said and understand. However lets look at what Garchomp has over Dragonite and consider the following.
1: Speed: while Garchomp is indeed faster, Dragonite is able to counter this due to extremespeed and ability to take very strong super effective hits with ease thanks to multiscale. Couple that with extremespeed, weakness policy, and dragon dance , making it faster in just one turn. So in this way, Dragonite is actually faster than Garchomp if you take this into account. Also factoring in multiscale, Dragonite only has a 2x weakness to ice! Dragon, Fairy, and Rock type attacks merely do 1x damage to Dragonite on the first hit. Neutral hits are treated as not very effective, Fire, Water, Bug, and fighting attacks are treated as 4x resisted, and Grass type moves do a pathetic 8x resisted damage to Dragonite Garchomps higher base speed is worthless compared to extremespeed, this amazing ability known as multiscale, better special attack, and ability to always get at least one dragon dance up. That's not all! Being a Dragon/Flying type, Dragonite is not affected by your Garchomp's Earthquake, and is immune to spikes and toxic spikes! Also Dragonite has a vastly superior movepool, compensating for its lack of Swords Dance. Face it. Garchomp is a great pokemon but its not even in the same league as Dragonite.
The problem with this logic is that you're comparing these two in a 1v1 scenario against each other. You need to compare these more along the lines of all the A+ ranked mons and how they adapt to the meta overall.

Dragonite and Garchomp don't even do the same thing. The only thing they share is their Dragon typing and a few moves. They serve completely different roles.

Garchomp:
  • Choice Scarf Revenge Killer
  • Substitute + Swords Dance
  • Stealth Rock Lead
Dragonite:
  • Bulky Dragon Dancer
  • Choice Band attacker
  • Parashuffler
Garchomp is simply far more versatile than Dragonite is, and it doesn't require Defog or Rapid Spin support to stay effective. It has a typing that punishes Volt-turn teams, better speed, and a larger movepool, while also having a more useful secondary STAB in the form of Ground. That's why it's A+, and Dragonite isn't.

Zebstrika has expressed the same thoughts I have regarding Keldeo's shortcomings in more details than I have in a previous post. Specs Keldeo is difficult to use against balanced teams as selecting the wrong move means you have to switch out. There was even one time that a MILOTIC COUNTERED KELDEO via Mirror Coat since Secret Sword did not 2KO her. I love Keldeo but I feel slapping anyone who dismisses lower viability water types as shit. The only times I've been swept by a Keldeo (Calm Mind) was when i was trying out a stall team. Of course, he is a Stallbreaker. I don't see it more than an A rank threat, his strengths are solid OU material, I'm perplexed by those who find him S rank worthy over the others in A+ rank.

Greninja is catching up to become one of my favorite OU Pokemon too. He seems to have an easier time dealing with most of the Pokemon that would switch on Keldeo. Who is arguing for Greninja going to S rank?

Edit: I do think Rotom HEAT should be B- rank. It checks and even counters many Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Mawile, Scizor, Pinsir due to Overheat. Also one of the best answers to Talonflame and Chaizard Y. It does have advantages over Wash by having more resistances, notably resistance to electric and bug (U-turn), gets the immunity to 2 statuses, and Overheat kills anything that is weak to it. The weakness to SR and water attacks is a disadvantage over Wash.
greninja is fast and powerful but honestly it's just too frail to be S rank. it's so easy to make a Greninja weak team though because it can shit on anything but as hard as it is to switch in to, it's also hard too switch in just because it can't take a hit, takes full hazard damage, sand damage, LO damage which makes it not good at breaking Stall either. greninja is great though but it's fairly predictable, it's always the LO attacker with Hydro Pump, Extrasensory, Ice Beam then either Dark Pulse or U-Turn or rarely HP Fire/Grass Knot/Taunt. A+ for sure just for late-game cleaning against offense where their only hope of checking it usually is either keeping Azumarill healthy or saving Thundurus prankster T-Wave. it also beats evil dragonite

NOMINATING LANDORUS-T FOR A+ RANK bc the resulting convo will still be 10* better than this one.
jk, lando is bulky as hell and strong as hell, with an excellent move pool and great coverage. Intmidate makes it a great offensive pivot, and it also has access to SR. DISCUSS

It is also one of the few solid checks to Pokemon like Talonflame, Physical Aegislash, M-Charizard X and more thanks to intimidate. Landorus has crazy strong attack, and better than decent bulk. In fact, this things only flaw is its speed (and its type i guess), but its speed only acts as a set back against pokemon like Keldeo (faster pokemon with access to special attacking water/ice type moves).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)