Media One Piece (spoilers!)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ehhh. Naruto has an expansive character list but Team 7 gets most of the spotlight. Minor characters leave more of an impression on me in One Piece, just cause they look strange or have a colorful personality.
Honestly I think the names of the three main series say it all. One Piece is named after a mythical treasure, and in a goofy way it's about the closest tv series to a long, fun, and totally rad adventure of Dungeons & Dragons. The minor characters are one dimensional and come and go, the plots are drawn out and completely exploitative, but I don't give a fuck. Whenever Luffy saves his Nakama and punches the bad guy in the face it is so cathartic.

Naruto is named after the main character, and is a gripping character piece bordering on absurdist existentialism. If you don't like the main characters (once again gotta bring up people treating characters as acquaintances and not tools), you won't like the series as much. Minor characters are also meticulously crafted and plotted and if they weren't so you wouldn't want to see so much more of them. Granted this all has the side effect of if the story ever gets hopelessly stupid and convoluted it might just collapse in on itself where One Piece wouldn't, but I mean, like, that would never happen right? :(

And Bleach is named after nothing because it's meaningless and "edgy".

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so uh, Law is a Tenrey(sp?) like Quixote? That's all I can assume the White City is (unless he already has his DF and was bought as a slave).

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
so uh, Law is a Tenrey(sp?) like Quixote? That's all I can assume the White City is (unless he already has his DF and was bought as a slave).
This makes alot of sense I had another theory that Corazon had the Ope Ope no Mi, used Shambles on him and Law before Doflamingo killed Law(in his own body), but I think this would be a very big stretch. Its a good thing to see that Doflamingo was just a string clone, Im also glad The Funk Brothers got killed(iirc), Abdullah and Jeet are proving to be great allies. I would pay Oda all the money I had to have him show us the entire Fujitora vs Sabo Fight, same thing with Zoro vs Pika. Judging by the reactions we see from the fights, it looks like Zoro is having relative easy with Pika, while Sabo looks like he's having a bit of a rough patch with Fuji which is understandable since Fuji is an Admiral and Sabo doesn't have his powers under control just yet. Oda must really hate Franky or really like Senor Pink, if every panel we get between the two is Franky getting suplexed over and over. In regards to Robin, Rebecca, and Bartolomeo. Couldn't Robin just sprout her Wings and fly, and correct me if Im wrong but Bartolomeo can also use his Bari Bari no Mi to float other wise he would have fallen at the end of the tournament in the Colosseum, as for Rebecca, I guess the Tontata's could give her help with flying, or she could tag along with Bartolomeo. Its not really a huge problem that they're floating, but they really stick out and are very vulnerable with the way they're traveling. Also what exactly was Doflamingo's new attack entitled "Termite" do? I like the attack names like "Parasite" and "Termite" because it makes Doflamingo appear even more manipulative and more deadly with move names like that. I can't believe Law was ready to die as a child, its interesting to see that Doffy took him in as a child. The image still doesn't explain a picture Oda drew a while ago of the SuperNova's depicting Law cutting a frog with a scalpal, but I guess we'll have to see what happens. Always looking forward to more!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I guess this thread Dofla "proves" the real one isn't a Logia? Unless he were afraid of Luffy's haki, he'd have gone himself to kill them, I guess.

CrushinDefeat

I guess this thread Dofla "proves" the real one isn't a Logia? Unless he were afraid of Luffy's haki, he'd have gone himself to kill them, I guess.
I think that he wouldn't want to waste his time killing Luffy, he has better things to do than to fight Luffy, When you got the guns and resources like him, you let others do your work. Just my thoughts though.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This might be old news for some but Law made the medicine which kept White Beard alive:
http://eatmanga.com/Manga-Scan/One-Piece/One-Piece-234/page-12
http://puu.sh/41uwL.png
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_Pirates

Thought this was neat!

EDIT:

That's why Law was at the war. That's also why he probably helped Luffy during the war.

Law showed up at the war because White Beard was his patient, he probably overheard everything that happened and thus tried to help Luffy.

Law also has shown how he has been planning everything for a long time. This is probably the start of his grandmaster plan. Also as Chopper has no number page to himself it would probably make sense for his cover page to happen after he hangs out with Law for an arc or two. Furthering his knowledge of medicine, which IIRC, he didn't gain any on the island he was at.
I want to bring this up again for a few reasons:

Law's flashback is going to happen (and I want some sort of gratitude to this if it pans out to be true).
Within this we know nothing of Law's background. So he was raised (or at least slaved) in the White City, so he must have some respect towards Tiger, and then Whitebeard (knowing he'd kill someone for being born there).
He's a doctor instead of a suicidal child, so something must have happened to cause this change. It can't be Quixote because he's Law's enemy #1.

Which brings me back to Whitebeard. I think Law joined the Quixote crew, their member died (name escapes me) whom he developed a strong connection to. Whether it by Quixote's hand or someone he ordered is up to debate. Law runs away and joins someone, perhaps Hiluluk, and he saves them, giving him passion as a doctor.

Why I think Hiluluk makes sense: he, being Law, "cured" the incurable disease within him and let him live, given strength to Hiluluk to try to help other people. It also give Chopper the chance to go away with Law to learn about medicine (given Chopper hasn't had his number chapter yet). While we'll miss Chopper the Heart Pirates and the Straw Hats already have a bond via Luffy and Law, so they're going to see each other soon.

Oda has already showed that limiting the number of characters in the arc is useful, such as sending half of the crew away to the next island. The next half of the manga might be people being sent away, reunited and then finally all together on the way to Raftel to fight Blackbeard.

CrushinDefeat

I want to bring this up again for a few reasons:

Law's flashback is going to happen (and I want some sort of gratitude to this if it pans out to be true).
Within this we know nothing of Law's background. So he was raised (or at least slaved) in the White City, so he must have some respect towards Tiger, and then Whitebeard (knowing he'd kill someone for being born there).
He's a doctor instead of a suicidal child, so something must have happened to cause this change. It can't be Quixote because he's Law's enemy #1.

Which brings me back to Whitebeard. I think Law joined the Quixote crew, their member died (name escapes me) whom he developed a strong connection to. Whether it by Quixote's hand or someone he ordered is up to debate. Law runs away and joins someone, perhaps Hiluluk, and he saves them, giving him passion as a doctor.

Why I think Hiluluk makes sense: he, being Law, "cured" the incurable disease within him and let him live, given strength to Hiluluk to try to help other people. It also give Chopper the chance to go away with Law to learn about medicine (given Chopper hasn't had his number chapter yet). While we'll miss Chopper the Heart Pirates and the Straw Hats already have a bond via Luffy and Law, so they're going to see each other soon.

Oda has already showed that limiting the number of characters in the arc is useful, such as sending half of the crew away to the next island. The next half of the manga might be people being sent away, reunited and then finally all together on the way to Raftel to fight Blackbeard.
While I enjoy the tie in of Hiluluk with Law, I feel this may be a bit odd of a connection, It would be a really interesting twist, but considering what has been said about how Corazon saved Law it can be implied that Law had a terminal disease that Corazon may have cured by possibly giving his life to Law or something along those lines. Also in regards to Chopper getting to leave the Straw Hats, this wouldn't work, every team member is needed for the ship at all times, If you're referring to Chopper training his medical skills with Law this would devalue his 2 Year Time Skip, Chopper worked hard to hone his medical skills in those 2 years.However if you're referring to Chopper training with Law in another timeskip, I think the idea would be ok, but rather odd considering Law isn't a medical expert, it would also be odd to have Law train a Straw Hat Pirate since they're going to be enemies in the end anyways. If they ever decided to do another TimeSkip Chopper should have Chopper train with Rodgers former doctor. Choppers number chapter imo is when Luffy contracts a life threatening disease (i.e Hiluluks or the one that killed Rodger) and Chopper manages to find a cure to it thus symbolizing growth because he could do something the other doctors could not do. Just my thoughts, like I said it would be interesting to see a Law tie in with Hilulik but it's rather unlikely.

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
Going to Rewatch This, I think I stopped like 20 episodes when it was on Toonami. Kind of upset with myself for not following it or anything. What should I expect? What episodes should I avoid because they suck? Any plot holes or things I should overlook?

CrushinDefeat

Going to Rewatch This, I think I stopped like 20 episodes when it was on Toonami. Kind of upset with myself for not following it or anything. What should I expect? What episodes should I avoid because they suck? Any plot holes or things I should overlook?
If you truly want to determine whether you like the series or not watch all the way up to Arlong Park, if you can watch the show up till Arlong Park then you should continue watching as the story unravels. "What Episodes should I avoid because they suck?" Don't miss a single episode, you'll want to watch every episode (some filler is acceptable to skip) or else nothing will make sense, its about the adventure. Its too hard to describe the series, there are no major plot holes because Oda makes absolute sure to avoid this.

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
If you truly want to determine whether you like the series or not watch all the way up to Arlong Park, if you can watch the show up till Arlong Park then you should continue watching as the story unravels. "What Episodes should I avoid because they suck?" Don't miss a single episode, you'll want to watch every episode (some filler is acceptable to skip) or else nothing will make sense, its about the adventure. Its too hard to describe the series, there are no major plot holes because Oda makes absolute sure to avoid this.
Awesome, Super Awesome. I plan on watching all of it, even if I don't really like it. No point in leaving the series just because I don't like a few episodes or something.

CrushinDefeat

Awesome, Super Awesome. I plan on watching all of it, even if I don't really like it. No point in leaving the series just because I don't like a few episodes or something.
No you shouldn't watch the show if you don't like it, that doesn't make any sense. I recommend you watch all the way up to Arlong Park, if you want to progress then keep going, if its not your show then put it down, as I said theres no point in watching it if you're going to be generally bored or dislike the show.

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
No you shouldn't watch the show if you don't like it, that doesn't make any sense. I recommend you watch all the way up to Arlong Park, if you want to progress then keep going, if its not your show then put it down, as I said theres no point in watching it if you're going to be generally bored or dislike the show.
What if I end up liking some things after though?

I hope Aokiji joins the Straw Hat crew, imo it would really give Luffy some good backup and it's not like Aokiji's doing much these days...

CrushinDefeat

While I think Aokiji would be a cool addition(no pun intended), he is a former admiral and I don't see him as a Straw Hat, he doesn't really fit the image, however I feel that he will either be part of Black Beards crew or as a secret Revolutionary. Unfortunately, he would be amazing, but what would his position be?His dream? Im just wondering what he would do. In my opinion the Straw Hats still need positions for Look Out (Crows Nest), Cabin Boys (Chore Boys), and a permanent Helmsmen which I think Jinbei could fill this role effectively. Unless those other areas are filled then never mind. Also there was an interview a while ago that Oda did in which he stated that Akainu could find the One Piece in one year, what are your thoughts on this guys? Personally Im shocked if the story became about Akainu and the crew he gathered, It really is frightening to know Akainu only needs one year to find it, I can't imagine how many years it will take Luffy to find the treasure, Its a pretty scary thought. Thoughts on Akainu finding One Piece in one year?

CrushinDefeat

I think that Oda meant for that to reflect more on the resources available to the world government than anything.
Fair point v, but you can't say its all Government resources, it also has to do majorly with Akainu's strength imo, he's probably the strongest character right now, under Shanks, but I see what you mean, and as I type this up, I've never once wondered why the Marines have never gone after One Piece themselves, perhaps it would be a giant target to their heads by all the different Yonko and Pirates, they could always destroy whatever One Piece is if they got the chance thus possibly ending the dreams of all pirates, but just random grumbling on my part lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)