XY RU Summertime Sadness, an RU Semi-Stall Team

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I am atomicllamas, and you may know me from the RU forums, or my colorful CT's such as NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY. Anyways, I was encouraged by my friend Molk to share this team, because he wanted there to be more RMTs representing the RU tier.

TEAM PREVIEW

The basis of this team was bringing back "hail stall" which was an extremely OP playstyle in gen 5 RU, eventually resulting in the ban of Snow Warning from the RU tier. However, the Hail nerf has made the previous strategy (using t-spikes and an ice body pokemon to stall out the opponents), obsolete, as Snow Warning only summons Hail for 5 turns. In order to make this team work, I decided to use an Offensive Abomasnow backed up by a solid three Pokemon defensive core, an offensive Stealth Rock user, and what I believe to be the best win condition in the tier. I would say this team has been a pretty successful team, as it went 3-0 in the first RU minitour I didn't trust myself and lost with a different team in the quarters, and it went 30-2 on the ladder to qualify for the RU ladder tournament finals, where it went 2-1 putting me in third place. It has also been successful against some of the top RU players and random tourney players I've played on the RU ladder or for fun on #rarelyused.

This was the pair that I originally planned on using for this team, as Alomomola is a staple on all balanced or defensive RU team, and Mega Abomasnow makes an excellent partner for Alomomola, resisting both Electric- and Grass-type attacks that are often thrown at Alomomola, while wearing down the opponent with Hail. Mola doesn't really mind Hail thanks to Wish Tect and Regenerator, making Alomomola extremely hard to deal with.

Registeel was added to the team because it has amazing synergy with Alomomola, and would probably be the best Pokemon in the tier if it had reliable recovery, which Alomomola helps with via wish. Druddigon was also added partially thanks to its excellent synergy with Alomomola, but it is also one of the best utility Pokemon in the tier, able to reliably set Stealth Rocks amongst other important roles.

The final thing my team needed was a win condition vs opposing bulky teams, and Sub + Calm Mind Meloetta is one of the premier options for this role. But this also made Golbat a necessity as the entire team was now dependent on the removal of Toxic Spikes. Golbat to me is one of the most underrated Pokemon in the tier, allowing me to beat so many Pokemon that bulky teams usually struggle with thanks to Infiltrator as well as defog.

THE DETAILS

SummertimeSadness (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 76 Spe
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

This is basically the basis of this team. Physically based mixed is, in my opinion, the best possible set Mega-Abomasnow can run. As it does major damage to the common walls in the tier, hitting walls like Slowking, Registeel, and Gligar on the side that they don't want to be hit on, and generally being ridiculously hard to switch into (this 2HKOes Alomomola). Physically based mixed also has the benefit of utilizing only its highest Base Power moves, as well as having an extremely threatening and hard hitting priority that is capable of dealing heavy damage to set up Pokemon. Named Summertime Sadness, because obvious reasons.

Congratulations (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

This is a pretty standard Alomomola set, the investment into Special Defense give Alomomola like 10% extra Special Defense at the cost of 2% of its Physical Bulk (its worth it). Scald is their to deter physical attackers from setting up, as well as getting extra chip damage on Grass / Poison types like Amoonguss that like to try to switch into Toxic. Thanks to its excellent bulk and ability, if my opponent manages to defeat Alomomola I must say Congratulations.

WeirdFishes (Golbat) @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic

Golbat does so many things for this team, it is ridiculous. With this set, not only is Golbat able to prevent Toxic Spikes from taking a toll on my team, but it is also capable of beating dangerous set up sweepers like Sub Bulk Up Braviary, Sub Calm Mind Cresselia, and Sub Bulk Up Gallade. It also has the ability to defeat Grass-Types like Amoonguss that my team doesn't like to face early on. Golbat is also the best switch into Hitmonlee in the tier, which is really useful if my opponent tries to remove my hazards, I can assure we are back on equal footing. Thanks to its typing, it can also really wear down Escavalier, which is really nice for Meloetta's late game sweep. I usually run more Speed to creep on max HP sub roost Moltres and other base 90s, but how much exactly is up to you. Golbat is named Weird Fishes because in gen 5 RU the premier physically defensive Pokemon, Alomomola and Qwilphish were fish, and Golbat is one weird fish.

HelloKitty (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Stealth Rock, Toxic Druddigon, has always been one of my favorite Pokemon to use in RU. It does really cool things for this team, like lure in Rhyperior that like to set up SR as my Druddigon does, and Toxic them, allowing Meloetta to start setting up a little earlier. Fire Punch is really cool, as it donks Escavalier, and more importantly Amoonguss. Druddigon is also a really strong switch in to the Electric types that like to Volt Switch through this team thanks to my lack of Ground-type. A lot of games Druddigon simply presses Stealth Rock and then Outrage until it dies, which is why I have chosen max Attack and an Adamant Nature, to help Druddigon wear down Bulky Pokemon for my team. It is however extremely useful to keep around if the opponent has a SR weak mon and some form of Hazard removal, Druddigon tends to lure in Gligar, and landing a toxic early can help to keep SR up later. Hitmontop is also worn down by the combination of Toxic and Rough Skin, almost guaranteeing that Druddigon can keep up Stealth Rock through out the game. Named Hello Kitty, because it is k-k-kawaii!

SmileLikeYouMeanIt (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Registeel is pretty much mandatory on balanced and stall teams, as it counters so many dangerous threats such as Choice Specs Yanmega, Belly Drum Slurpuff, and Choice Specs Exploud. Thunder Wave is used to slow down these threats as well as things that think they can set up on Registeel like Delphox, so another member of the team can take them out. Protect is useful for free leftovers recovery when Hail is not up, and is useful for scouting Chioced Locked Pokemon with or without Hail. Because Druddigon has Stealth Rock, I am able to use both Iron Head and Seismic Toss, as Iron Head hits frailer threats and Fairies for more damage (making it an actual Slurpuff counter), where as Seismic Toss does consistent damage and can break most substitutes. Named Smile Like You Mean It because I want my opponent to smile when they can't break through my steel golem.

BuzzcutSeason (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 188 Def / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

This is the most important member of the team, it is important that Meloetta does not become Statused or get Knocked Off, as without the constant recovery of Leftovers, Meloetta is not very effective. The Speed EVs are for Minimum Drapion, but I run more because, creep (Drapion tends to creep Max Base 55s hint hint). This is also a pretty effective way to beat stall breakers like Calm Mind Reuniclus and Slowking, as they cannot break Meloetta's sub without a couple Calm Minds and Shadow Ball's 40% chance to lower the opponents Special Defense, as well as hitting them Super Effectively. Hyper Voice is also really cool, as it can hit through the opponents Substitute, making Meloetta extremely threatening for even offensive teams. Meloetta is also ridiculously bulky, being able to take a Modest Choice Specs Yanmega Bug Buzz at +1 and OHKO in return with Hyper Voice. Defensively its Substitute can take any attack from Gligar barring Knock Off, turning an extremely common defensive Pokemon into set up fodder, also setting up on Stall staples like Alomomola, Aromatisse, and Amoonguss. 10/10 win con, would use. Named Buzzcut Season because Meloetta makes my opponents head catch flame with frustration, once it is set up o.o

SummertimeSadness (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 76 Spe
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Congratulations (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

WeirdFishes (Golbat) @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Toxic

HelloKitty (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

SmileLikeYouMeanIt (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

BuzzcutSeason (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 188 Def / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Delphox - Delphox is really tricky for this team, especially Calm Mind variants, as they can get around Alomomola, and heavily damage Druddigon at +1. They can be handled by the combination of hail damage + LO recoil + Meloetta / Druddigon, but they can really wear down Meloetta which can cause you to lose your win condition.

Moltres - Alomomola can kinda deal with it, so can Druddigon, but they don't appreciate switching in to it. Setting (and keeping) Stealth Rock can really limit its effectiveness, and Meloetta is pretty effective at handling it, so it isn't too bad.

Articuno - only if it has Haze + Heal Bell which one person used, I was rekt tbh.

Zoroark - This can be annoying, but I usually just pivot around and it kills itself, it isn't really that difficult to deal with though. It breaks team preview on PS! though, so watch out for that.

Conclusion
This has been a pretty fun team, doing pretty well throughout all of the official RU tier, capable of defeating Froslass teams, scoffing at Sticky Web teams, and in general being an extremely solid team during the formation of RU.

Thanks for reading o3o

Last edited:

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for reading o3o
first of all lets stop with these faces :[[[

Only thing I can really suggest is consider going Soundproof on abomasnow to get a free turn on specs boomburst exploud/bug buzz yanmega [among other sound move users]. don't think you really benefit from snow warning anyway since its the same ability as mega aboma and gives you options imo.

Hi, atomicllamas! You've got a really nice team here (and good music taste, might I add) and I only really see one change. I would recommend changing Fire Punch to Earthquake on Druddigon, just to hit Delphox. Earthquake OHKOes Delphox, which Outrage does not guarantee. Assault Vest Escavalier is handled by Alomomola as it is now and Choice Band Alomomola can easily be played around with Registeel and Alomomola. Amoonguss is 2HKO'ed by Outrage (assuming the standard 252/160+ set is in use) anyways, and Fire Punch fails to 2HKO after Stealth Rock anyways. Earthquake puts a dent in Escavalier switching in, and it's worn down pretty quickly, so that's a factor. Overall, I feel like changing Fire Punch to Earthquake will help against Delphox and improve your team. Great team, though, not really many changes! :)
  • Fire Punch -----> Earthquake

I think having Fire Punch on Druddigon is a good idea, but perhaps you can run Sheer Force over Rough Skin and then pump some of the attack EVs into special defense? This will help with Druddigon's tank nature while still allowing it to blow through Escavalier and Amoonguss. Specs Exploud often carries Fire Blast and Registeel can't take those forever. This at least gives you a second Pokemon that has a better chance of tussling with Exploud.

You mention that three of your four "threats" are weak to Rock. Why don't you try subbing Seismic Toss on Registeel out for Stealth Rock (it resists STAB moves of the most common Defoggers anyway). Then, substitute Stealth Rock on Druddigon for Rock Slide, which hits harder than Stone Edge with Sheer Force and has better PP & accuracy. Moltres and Articuno (lol it doesn't exist in RU) are gone, and Delphox is destroyed without locking yourself into Outrage (get ready for SubShift Gear Kilinklang to NOT set up in your face).

Nice team overall though. Good work.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
first of all lets stop with these faces :[[[

Only thing I can really suggest is consider going Soundproof on abomasnow to get a free turn on specs boomburst exploud/bug buzz yanmega [among other sound move users]. don't think you really benefit from snow warning anyway since its the same ability as mega aboma and gives you options imo.
Yeah I actually started out with Soundproof for the reasons you mentioned, and it is definitely an option, but the things I would use it for (Yanmega, Exploud) are both handled really easily by Registeel already. Because of the Speed lowering nature of Mega Aboma, I often find that staying unevolved can be extremely helpful (outspeeding Druddigon and Rhyperior while non-mega for one thing), and in order to fire of 100% Blizzards, it is necessary to have Hail Warning. Also since I tend to switch Aboma in to V-switch, and I want to wear down Volt Turn teams, it is really nice to have the hail without mega-evolving.

Hi, atomicllamas! You've got a really nice team here (and good music taste, might I add) and I only really see one change. I would recommend changing Fire Punch to Earthquake on Druddigon, just to hit Delphox. Earthquake OHKOes Delphox, which Outrage does not guarantee. Assault Vest Escavalier is handled by Alomomola as it is now and Choice Band Alomomola can easily be played around with Registeel and Alomomola. Amoonguss is 2HKO'ed by Outrage (assuming the standard 252/160+ set is in use) anyways, and Fire Punch fails to 2HKO after Stealth Rock anyways. Earthquake puts a dent in Escavalier switching in, and it's worn down pretty quickly, so that's a factor. Overall, I feel like changing Fire Punch to Earthquake will help against Delphox and improve your team. Great team, though, not really many changes! :)
  • Fire Punch -----> Earthquake
Ya this makes sense, and I have definitely thought about doing this (or Sucker Punch as well, for the fox). Though it is nice to get the free OHKO on Mega Aboma, Esca, and be able to do something to Bronzong, EQ is nice for Delphox and Drapion which can also be annoying. Yeah definitely a good change, thanks for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)