Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

What do I need to do to be allowed to vote for suspect testing? What are the requirements also? In RU my Elo rating is 1287 and I'm 68th on the ladder with a 74.9 GXE and a Glicko-1 of 1711.

What do I need to do to be allowed to vote for suspect testing? What are the requirements also? In RU my Elo rating is 1287 and I'm 68th on the ladder with a 74.9 GXE and a Glicko-1 of 1711.
According to the NP thread:
Antar/Molk said:
as with the previous RU test, the B value for this test is 20.0. To figure out how many battles you'll need to have in order to achieve reqs, first determine your GXE (shown on the ladder and when you type /rating) and plug that into the following formula:

N=20.0/log2(40*GXE/2400)

(Google calculator is awesome for this kind of thing).

Here are some sample values:
Code:
GXE N
100 28
90 35
85 40
80 49
75 63
70 90
65 174
This might change, but for now, this is how you can figure out what you need to do to achieve reqs~

How can I counter scrappy Exploud with boomburst/Focus miss/Fire blast? The biggest special walls in the metagame (aromatisse, jellicent, snorlax/munchlax) can't do the job. Assault vest Escavalier would be ok if it wasn't for fire blast.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How can I counter scrappy Exploud with boomburst/Focus miss/Fire blast? The biggest special walls in the game (aromatisse, jellicent, snorlax/munchlax) can't do the job. Assault vest Escavalier would be ok if it wasn't for fire blast.
Specially Defensive Registeel is probably your best bet for a counter on a defensive team, as it takes SE hits from specs Exploud for like 50%, but it is usually pressing boomburst anyways. If it just has those three specific moves, then Rhyperior is a good answer, as it can take a focus blast, but any self respecting Exploud user is using Surf, so that is also a really shaky choice. More generally though, the best way to deal with Exploud is to outspeed it, as it is actually very frail, and not all that fast. Offensively oriented teams should have no problem dealing with Exploud, as basically any Neutral STAB will 2HKO, making it impossible for Exploud to switch into things with even moderate offensive pressure.

Specially Defensive Registeel is probably your best bet for a counter on a defensive team, as it takes SE hits from specs Exploud for like 50%, but it is usually pressing boomburst anyways. If it just has those three specific moves, then Rhyperior is a good answer, as it can take a focus blast, but any self respecting Exploud user is using Surf, so that is also a really shaky choice. More generally though, the best way to deal with Exploud is to outspeed it, as it is actually very frail, and not all that fast. Offensively oriented teams should have no problem dealing with Exploud, as basically any Neutral STAB will 2HKO, making it impossible for Exploud to switch into things with even moderate offensive pressure.
Thanks for the answer. Though it still bothers me that it forces me to sacrifice a pokemon of mine to take it out after it safely switches in.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I might look like a noob but why is using Sacred Sword on Doublade a bad thing? Isn't Ghost/Fighting coverage good?

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I might look like a noob but why is using Sacred Sword on Doublade a bad thing? Isn't Ghost/Fighting coverage good?
Yes, it's good, but Iron Head is generally better. You only miss out on a couple of targets, namely Heliolisk and Sharpedo, but both Pokemon usually have little trouble beating Doublade anyway. So in the end it's a lot better to stick with your more powerful Steel-type STAB.

It's also worth noting that if you set up SD as Sharpedo comes in, Iron Head will OHKO it (Doublade can tank a Crunch), and Shadow Sneak can do around 50%. Doublade doesn't really want to stay in on Heliolisk anyway since specs Dark Pulse will KO it with a little prior damage. So Sacred Sword's best use is possibly hitting these targets (and pyroar i guess lol) on a predicted switch, which isn't enough to warrant a slot in my opinion.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Yes, it's good, but Iron Head is generally better. You only miss out on a couple of targets, namely Heliolisk and Sharpedo, but both Pokemon usually have little trouble beating Doublade anyway. So in the end it's a lot better to stick with your more powerful Steel-type STAB.
Ik but the set I usually use is Swords Dance/ Iron head/ Shadow sneak/ Sacred Sword. But people say that Shadow Claw is better.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ik but the set I usually use is Swords Dance/ Iron head/ Shadow sneak/ Sacred Sword. But people say that Shadow Claw is better.
It is. Having a more powerful Ghost-type STAB, even one without priority, makes you a much stronger tank and sweeper.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
It is. Having a more powerful Ghost-type STAB, even one without priority, makes you a much stronger tank and sweeper.
How? Other than water types and other doublades I don't why Shadow Claw should be used when Sacred Sword slices Dark and Steel types and ignores defense boosts.

How? Other than water types and other doublades I don't why Shadow Claw should be used when Sacred Sword slices Dark and Steel types and ignores defense boosts.
Sacred Swords is suppose to hit Steel types and Dark types, so let's see

Drapion wins, Sharpedo gets wrecked, Skuntank loses unless carrying Fire Blast, Zoroark wins.

Iron Head hits all of them except Sharpedo, which still gets destroyed.

Registeel can't touch you, Cobalion can't touch you.

Considering the fact that Steel types (except Doublade) can't touch you and you shouldn't stay in on Dark types, and the fact Doublade wants a stronger Ghost STAB to beat threats like Cofagrigus, In most situations Shadow Claw > Sacred Sword.

and Defense boosts are usually lol

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Adding on to what Shaymin said, it's not really about the coverage, it's about the power of the attacks. Ghost-type attacks get fantastic coverage on their own, and having a powerful, reliable, Ghost-type STAB is great for a Pokemon like Doublade who forces a lot of switches. Calm Mind Reuniclus, Moltres, Escavalier, physically defensive Slowking, Durant, Jolteon, Emboar, Fletchinder, and other countless threats can easily take a Shadow Sneak but not so much a Shadow Claw. Giving Doublade that extra power magnifies its offensive presence far more than Sacred Sword could.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Sacred Swords is suppose to hit Steel types and Dark types, so let's see

Drapion wins, Sharpedo gets wrecked, Skuntank loses unless carrying Fire Blast, Zoroark wins.

Iron Head hits all of them except Sharpedo, which still gets destroyed.

Registeel can't touch you, Cobalion can't touch you.

Considering the fact that Steel types (except Doublade) can't touch you and you shouldn't stay in on Dark types, and the fact Doublade wants a stronger Ghost STAB to beat threats like Cofagrigus, In most situations Shadow Claw > Sacred Sword.

and Defense boosts are usually lol
Now I understand thanks!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now I understand thanks!
Just adding on here, but the reason Doublade used sacred sword in NU was cause of pyroar. Pyroar is immune to ghost and resists iron head so to hit it hard on the switch sacred sword was a necessity. If there was something in the RU meta like Pyroar that was immune to ghost and resisted Iron Head than people would start running Sacred Sword, but since there isn't there really isnt a point in running a non stab over a stab.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Just adding on here, but the reason Doublade used sacred sword in NU was cause of pyroar. Pyroar is immune to ghost and resists iron head so to hit it hard on the switch sacred sword was a necessity. If there was something in the RU meta like Pyroar that was immune to ghost and resisted Iron Head than people would start running Sacred Sword, but since there isn't there really isnt a point in running a non stab over a stab.

I am not amused!

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Problem is, Jolteon now exists, so Heliolisk is much less common.
Ik (plus Doublade loses to Dark Pulse anyways) but saying you should run Sacred Sword for Pokémon that resist Ghost and Steel types isn't true.

I have a simple question: Last gen, Electivire was a solid, if not exceptional Pokemon in C+ rank (I think). What has changed this generation for it to be considered one of the worst Pokemon in RU?

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
so i got in a heated debate on the ru chat on ps

what should a standard band or scarf braviary use (ignore the fact sub bu is way better): facade return frustration or thrash? i personally think either the former or latter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)