Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if it'll be possible to create a smogon-esque ruleset for your custom battling area. That'd be pretty cool (though, I doubt it'll be so finely tuned).
Yeah, I don't think it will allow you to finely tune the rules to be as complex as Smogon's, but I believe the Pokemon Stadium games had broader custom rules like Sleep Clause and Freeze Clause, so we might see those! I don't think it's too likely though, I think the custom rules are going to be something basic like what kind of battle format (singles, doubles, triples, rotations) and how many Pokemon you can bring, something like that. They say it will be like a gym, so maybe forcing monotype could be an option as well.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Yeah, I don't think it will allow you to finely tune the rules to be as complex as Smogon's, but I believe the Pokemon Stadium games had broader custom rules like Sleep Clause and Freeze Clause, so we might see those! I don't think it's too likely though, I think the custom rules are going to be something basic like what kind of battle format (singles, doubles, triples, rotations) and how many Pokemon you can bring, something like that. They say it will be like a gym, so maybe forcing monotype could be an option as well.
I could see a few fun rules from special battle spot too, like inverse battles maybe. But you're right: it'll probably only allow simple rules that their target audience, kids, can easily understand.

---

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is old news for this thread, but I was looking at the promotional website for further information, when on this page I noticed a picture of Primal Groudon and Kyogre:

Notice how, next to their name on their health bar, that they have their little primal symbols? These look similar to the mega evolution symbols that appear after you mega evolve your pokemon. I wonder if their primal forms must be triggered, similar to mega evolution, and that's why these symbols appear? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I could see a few fun rules from special battle spot too, like inverse battles maybe. But you're right: it'll probably only allow simple rules that their target audience, kids, can easily understand.
Oh yeah, I forgot about special metagames like Inverse Battle. Sky battles could be a thing there too, there hasn't yet been a way to force Sky Battles against other players.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is old news for this thread, but I was looking at the promotional website for further information, when on this page I noticed a picture of Primal Groudon and Kyogre:

Notice how, next to their name on their health bar, that they have their little primal symbols? These look similar to the mega evolution symbols that appear after you mega evolve your pokemon. I wonder if their primal forms must be triggered, similar to mega evolution, and that's why these symbols appear? What do you guys think?
I'm not sure if this is old or not either, but anyhow, I always figured that from the start (when they were announced) Primal Groudon and Kyogre were going to be Megas under a different name. They will most likely take up the team's mega spot, and their mega stones will probably be the orbs. I haven't seen the stats but I'm assuming they're just a flat boost and not a switcheroo like with Giratina. Making them the same as Megas would give them the 1-mega-only drawback. It makes sense, Mega Evolution is still the big thing. In the story it will likely be that "Primal Evolution" is an ancient form of mega evolution.

Apologies if this has already been said (it sounds like something that probably has been)

I'm highly looking forward to Secret Bases as I didn't get Ruby until after the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver and the Sinnoh version didn't have any online features.
I hope that we can get those fun alternate battles (Sky Battles and Inverse Battles) to be beyond the Secret Bases.
Now to train 6 blisseys to level 100...
This works for me since I have enough breeding resources in Y to last multiple generations. This way I can breed in Y, trade to Hoenn, then grind with boosted experience. I also have a few extra Blissey (I wanted a Pokémon with 714 HP alongside my actual Blissey). And since Blissey only needs 800,000 EXP, it will be a cinch to set up.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Wait, I thought that bases were already confirmed..? In a trailer at least two months back we saw a hole in the wall which represents a location for a cave secret base on the Route east of the Tree City.

Sorry I can't remember the names, I'm braindead rn >_>

Wait, I thought that bases were already confirmed..? In a trailer at least two months back we saw a hole in the wall which represents a location for a cave secret base on the Route east of the Tree City.

Sorry I can't remember the names, I'm braindead rn >_>
I don't think officially confirmed, and we didn't have this info. PSEUDO GYM/E4 BATTLE TIME HOPEFULLY

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
OMG SECRET BASES ARE BACK I AM SO HAPPY THAT THEY ARE COMING BACK :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Exaggerated excitement aside, I guess this pretty much means that there will be a Secret Power Tutor for ORAS or maybe even as a TM (replacing an old TM). I am not 100% certain if it will be this or some mini-game or pressing a button to create a new Secret Base but I am personally hoping that they do it via Secret Power since that is how it was done last time and I guess it is far less irritating than the mini-game idea. The capture the flag thing looks like a good feature as well and would be a nice throwback to DPPt and the underground I guess?

the new Secret base hostage mechanics might prove to be a very good thing.

rather than hunting people for FC's to get secret bases, I could have 5 bases with teams of 6 blisseys while only using either 2 carts or QR codes like Animal Crossing. YESSSS

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It also looks like the item limit for the bases is upped significantly or even lifted completely. There seems to be more than 16 decorations in the bases in some ofthe screenshots.

Also, I wonder if we'll have stuff like a Pokémon healing machine in our bases? I mean, having a secret base was cool and all, but it didn't have much practical purpose in-game.

Perhaps Aarune will be the Secret Power tutor?

Anyways, I enjoyed flag collecting in DPPt, but I wonder if you can still stop the other player from collecting yours through physical contact. There didn't seem to be anything in the new info that states otherwise.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It also looks like the item limit for the bases is upped significantly or even lifted completely. There seems to be more than 16 decorations in the bases in some ofthe screenshots.

Also, I wonder if we'll have stuff like a Pokémon healing machine in our bases? I mean, having a secret base was cool and all, but it didn't have much practical purpose in-game.
I honestly don't think I ever understood or used the secret base stuff. I didn't have anyone local to play with, and I only had one game. I didn't know what it was for and I never really understood its concept. In Hoenn, the only place I made my secret base was in the bush to the west of Fortree City, because it was the closest one to a Pokemon Center. Had no idea what it was for, but I mostly used it like the Gen 2 bedroom where you could place down decorations and the like.

Like, I don't understand why people are excited about secret bases I guess. Yay a room I can decorate. Big woop? This was in the Sinnoh underground too and no one liked it then (when you could have traps etc to stop people getting in). What made the RSE ones so much better exactly? :|

I am so glad the secret bases are making a return.
The create-your-own-battle-rules gimmick is something I look forward to.
However, since I like secret bases so much I also found them to be too small back in RSE. One cannot fit too many pieces of furniture in it. My worry is that from the screenshot, the new secret bases still look quite small..

However, since I like secret bases so much I also found them to be too small back in RSE. One cannot fit too many pieces of furniture in it. My worry is that from the screenshot, the new secret bases still look quite small..
Really? Compared to RSE's these look bloody enormous.

I honestly don't think I ever understood or used the secret base stuff. I didn't have anyone local to play with, and I only had one game. I didn't know what it was for and I never really understood its concept. In Hoenn, the only place I made my secret base was in the bush to the west of Fortree City, because it was the closest one to a Pokemon Center. Had no idea what it was for, but I mostly used it like the Gen 2 bedroom where you could place down decorations and the like.

Like, I don't understand why people are excited about secret bases I guess. Yay a room I can decorate. Big woop? This was in the Sinnoh underground too and no one liked it then (when you could have traps etc to stop people getting in). What made the RSE ones so much better exactly? :|
Gen III wasn't really the best place to introduce something like this, because of the locality issue. Aside from my brother, I didn't have anyone local to play with either. The thing about Secret Bases now, is that the locality issue has been resolved, and there is a much higher incentive to personalize your room. We can finally, sort of, build our own gyms, although we will likely be played by the computer. I dunno, I always kind of looked at secret bases as the first instance of our character came to moving out and actually getting their own place, and that was the fun part for me. However, in my opinion, the idea of secret bases had long worn off by the time Sinnoh's secret bases came into effect, because they had the same locality issues, and I didn't like the Underground in general.

About the Blissey teams - I plan to build a mono-Healing Wish-Blissey team myself, but I'm a bit wary that Exp may not be given in these battles, because this seems like something that TF GF may cut out. If they don't (hopefully!), then, assuming the pokemon is domestic, holding a lucky egg, and the highest Exp O-Power is active, and discounting Amie's boost, then a participant will net about 234.5 k experience for 'defeating' the whole team; this puts a freshly hatched egg between levels 57 and 65, which is high enough for the Battle Spot in most cases. Additionally, properly built (as in, pokemon providing three IVs apiece, and either low-leveled or self killing) EV teams fought with methods would net 84 EVs total, so about three iterations would be needed to max a stat out. Yay! If we could get groups of people to volunteer bases like this, then it would make pokemon rearing so much easier! This is, of course, assuming that Troll Freak doesn't Troll.

That kid on the right looks suspiciously like Max from the anime. Oh gawd.
Rather, Max's design was based on the Schoolboy Trainer Class, but I see what you mean. And given that there's a Schoolgirl, an Aroma Lady, a Rich Kid, a Lass, and a Schoolboy in the (Super) Secret Base, it looks like trainer customization has gone right back out the window...

Aarune will be the Secret Power tutor in Slateport_City where you could buy the TM before.

No trainer customization ?
I want roller blade back plz

Make your own rulez seems cool :)

And we will have CoroCoro leaks soon

Rather, Max's design was based on the Schoolboy Trainer Class, but I see what you mean. And given that there's a Schoolgirl, an Aroma Lady, a Rich Kid, a Lass, and a Schoolboy in the (Super) Secret Base, it looks like trainer customization has gone right back out the window...
I wouldn't count it out just yet. They may just be costumes you can buy in-game.

I was looking at the screenshots from Bulbapedia. And most looked on par with the bigger bases in RSE?
Though one of them seem to show a two-floor base (Yay!)
The multi-story bases are a nice touch, but they could be retrofitted from the original designs so that the hallway in-between two rooms is now a staircase instead.

In the shot of the empty base, there are five green spots with footprints, so it seems that we will be limited to five Secret Pals (ugh...Secret this and Super Secret that...I feel like we're supposed to be the Spy Kids...). Serebii has provided a list of roles and abilities, including Battling, Egg Nurturing, Level Up, and Decorations. So it sounds like a combination of O-Powers and that green haired guy that everyone tried to get in Mauville.

Also, Fortree Tree-houses look very nice on the inside.

I love how the decorations are simply updated versions of decorations from RSE! I remember using those specific rugs and posters. And it looks like the plushies can be turned 45 degrees.

Secret bases gonna be so awesome. If the ability to set battle rules extends to banning moves, we can finally enforce OHKO/Evasion/TM87 clause! If not... Sky Battles all day!

If only the Elite Four followed the rules... I still have nightmares about Sidney's Double Team-spamming everything and Glacia's Sheer Cold Walrein. And something tells me she'll have a Froslass too, who is like the queen of hax.

And I would love it if the battle against Winona is a Sky Battle.

Last edited:

Eduardo2013

Banned deucer.
I wonder if battle tents will make a reappearance it seems unlikely though since it was Emerald exclusive, but I want to see how they update the contest format from the Sinnoh version or they just leave it the R/S/E way.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
And I would love it if the battle against Winona is a Sky Battle.
I really hope that isn't the case because it would force the player to play the game a certain way with a very limited selection of Pokémon.
I kinda hope you can re-match with Winona to have a Sky Battle. It would be an interesting return for the mechanic.

I wonder if battle tents will make a reappearance it seems unlikely though since it was Emerald exclusive, but I want to see how they update the contest format from the Sinnoh version or they just leave it the R/S/E way.
I'm just hoping contests have a huge revamp and are more like the Anime (Or Pokeathlon) with Minigames/More combos etc than the almost total luckfest the original contests were.

Eduardo2013

Banned deucer.
I kinda hope you can re-match with Winona to have a Sky Battle. It would be an interesting return for the mechanic.

I'm just hoping contests have a huge revamp and are more like the Anime (Or Pokeathlon) with Minigames/More combos etc than the almost total luckfest the original contests were.
Yea that could be an interesting concept I wish it was more customization like how they had the outfits for pokemon in the anime. But then again Sinnoh was the only game that allowed pokeball customization I really wish seals could be in OR and AS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)