Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
the mourinho link is not even speculation, its from a fan blog, "ten reasons for mourinho to be the next brazil coach", so yeah, no.
Yeah I'm aware, I just found it weird that somebody in Brazil would want Mourinho as a replacement of Scolari after seeing how disappointing Brazil's playstyle has been, as Scolari and Mourinho are similar in that regard (Mourinho is obviously better though)

Well that game was a whole lot of nothing. Argentina just look like cannon fodder for the Germans, no doubt Messi will take all the blame if Argentina don't win and get the pointless Maradona comparisons.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As predicted sloppy play from Netherlands, going back to not caring about soccer again.

Lesson learned: all offense and no defense is fine if you can actually finish games before 120 minutes.

Chiquito Romero learned from Lehmann imo. Cheatsheets don't always work, but he did great anyway (except against Robben, where he moved too fast). And to think he played like 8 games total in the whole season...

The Van Gaal (read Fangal) bs is finally over o.O

I can't put into words how moving it is watching Masche play. Even with one leg he outran Robben not once, but twice on the second half of the stoppage time... Amazing my nigga Garay as always.

I'm not gonna talk about Argentina offensively because everyone watched the game. The only really good chance was Pipita's—which wasn't offside, so good riddance lineman—, but it was to be expected from the lineups. Although I should say I predicted a less thrilling game...

Edit: Since I called the 0-0 penalties,

<Ernesto> ok I just flipped a coin
<Ernesto> heads was 86, tails was 90
<Ernesto> and I got head
<Ernesto> s
<Ernesto> I almost didn't catch it and my hand is all red
<Ernesto> o.O

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was shocked looking at Argentina's defense. They actually fucking dug their boots in and defended. And holy shit Mascherano's challenge on Robben's point blank shot was stunning.

This win belongs to the Argentine defensive work rate. Aguero's still a cunt. Pls play Higuain in the finals sabella.

Man Di Maria's flair was really missed today.

I was really impressed at Perez display, why the fuck Sabela replaced him with Palacio?
Argentina deserved this match, we had way more chances to score, and Higuain's goal wasn't offside, so yeah. I don't even care if we lose against Germany anymore, this is my very first final with Argentina, so I'm really happy about it.
EDIT: I also forgot to say that today is Argentina's Independence day, so extra points for winning this day.

For all the talk about a poor defense they now have 4 clean sheets in their 6 games so far.
Mascherano has been immense in this tournament.

I would be happy with either team winning, hopefully it will turn out to be a good final.

I was really impressed at Perez display, why the fuck Sabela replaced him with Palacio?
Argentina deserved this match, we had way more chances to score, and Higuain's goal wasn't offside, so yeah. I don't even care if we lose against Germany anymore, this is my very first final with Argentina, so I'm really happy about it.
EDIT: I also forgot to say that today is Argentina's Independence day, so extra points for winning this day.
there was no higuain goal wtf are you talking about

also rooting for germany to win it now, this may sound salty but tbh i think argentina isn't a good enough team to win the wcop and would be disappointing if they did

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Anyone really impressed with Ron Vlaar tonight?

I can't believe this is the same guy I watch week in week out for Aston villa.
Vlaar was clutch as fuck and weren't it for the fact that Argentina actually defended this time around his ability to kill any dangerous attack would have won us the game.

Argentina's defence is overrated they did good to stop Holland but:

Bosnia(conceded)
Iran(a team who scored once all tournament, yet nearly did more then once against Argentina)
Nigeria (conceded two)
Switzerland (parked the bus, didn't even try to attack)
Belgium (A team that could barely manage one against Korea and Russia)
Holland

Its hardly a great run

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

Bosnia(conceded)
Iran(a team who scored once all tournament, yet nearly did more then once against Argentina)
Nigeria (conceded two)
Holland

Its hardly a great run
They only played against the scrubs and when they played against a decent a team they got lucky. German rape imo.

Bosnia(conceded)
Nigeria (conceded two)
Holland

Its hardly a great run
They only played against the scrubs and when they played against a decent a team they got lucky. German rape imo.
Both of you have made great analyses and should definitely be proud of yourselves. You totally understand how the games were played and I have nothing to argue with what you guys said ;)

Edit Tomahawk : I assume she meant that the play wasn't offside, and had it been goal the lineman would've been the victim of a couple of insults. So yea, he was lucky it wasn't goal o.O

Last edited:
You people keep doubting Argentina. It's fine, we'll keep moving right along. Our defensive core of Garay-Demichelis-Masch is the best in the tournament. Zabaleta and Rojo have also been playing well. I think our best chance of beating Germany is to play the way we did against Netherlands. I predict Argentina will win (hopefully) either by 1 goal (possibly in ET) or on penalties. I really hope di Maria is healthy for this match, but nonetheless I was impressed with Enzo Perez...

Anyway, if you're from Brazil, PLEASE don't talk, nobody wants to hear an opinion from fans who predicted they would beat Germany. Tell me, how does it feel to have to choose between supporting your biggest arch rival or the team that RAPED you? Have fun fighting it out for 3rd place ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)