Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are good capture Pokemon? I mean for moves etc. I've heard Combee, Smeargle and maybe Gallade?
Combee is pretty much only useful for sweet scent (horde battles). Pretty much anything that gets false swipe and a status move. Gallade can use both FS and thunder wave, Smeargle can use Spore, FS and Foresight (to hit ghosts) and a boosting move so false swipe doesn't take 10 hits on something bulky (Smeargle is also super weak). You can also load him up with moves like Teleport, Explosion etc. and Imprison so what you're trying to catch doesn't escape or kill itself. So yeah obviously due to all the moves it can use, Smeargle is the most diverse but you can use just about anything..

EDIT: Apart from actually fighting wild 'mons there are all sorts of things you can use in the field. A male Cute Charm user (such as Sylveon) can be used in the lead spot to increase the chance of encountering females. Something with Compoundeyes can be used to increase the chance of something holding an item. And of course there's Synchronize which has a good chance of making a wild poke have the same nature as the user. So yeah there's a whole lot you can use

What are good capture Pokemon? I mean for moves etc. I've heard Combee, Smeargle and maybe Gallade?
In addition, if you're looking for Hidden Ability Pokémon - especially in hordes - I would highly recommend a Pokémon with Skill Swap. I personally prefer Reuniclus, as it's massive bulk and Magic Guard ensure it'll be lasting longer. It also gets Thunder Wave which helps out greatly.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I use Doublade with False Swipe because of the immunities it gives. It's also got a lot of raw power to help get things down to low health. I don't tend to status things very often in XY... It's probably worth breeding a Spore Breloom as that has power and reasonable bulk so you can Swords Dance/False Swipe/Spore most opponents.

For hordes, Pokemon like Venusaur can use both Petal Blizzard and Sweet Scent in order to draw out hordes, but as the above says, you may want to use Skill Swap against the Pokemon to work out which has it's HA (If that is what you are going for).

I use Doublade with False Swipe because of the immunities it gives. It's also got a lot of raw power to help get things down to low health. I don't tend to status things very often in XY... It's probably worth breeding a Spore Breloom as that has power and reasonable bulk so you can Swords Dance/False Swipe/Spore most opponents.

For hordes, Pokemon like Venusaur can use both Petal Blizzard and Sweet Scent in order to draw out hordes, but as the above says, you may want to use Skill Swap against the Pokemon to work out which has it's HA (If that is what you are going for).
I'm sorry to correct a mod here but effect spore on a breloom for this purpose is quite bad and dangerous as it can poison the pokemon you're trying to capture.

And poison heal/technician(I think it has technician) breloom is my preferred choice for an all around catching pokemon as it is the only pokemon I know of that can use out door sleuth/that other move that lets normal attacks hit ghost type pokemon, spore false swipe and protect/some other catching move like attract or protect. (Protect incase you're going against things that can use self destruct/explode)

Oh and it has a stupidly high attack so that helps.
I also recommend having it hold a normal type attack boosting item such as silk scarf.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm sorry to correct a mod here but effect spore on a breloom for this purpose is quite bad and dangerous as it can poison the pokemon you're trying to capture.

And poison heal/technician(I think it has technician) breloom is my preferred choice for an all around catching pokemon as it is the only pokemon I know of that can use out door sleuth/that other move that lets normal attacks hit ghost type pokemon, spore false swipe and protect/some other catching move like attract or protect. (Protect incase you're going against things that can use self destruct/explode)

Oh and it has a stupidly high attack so that helps.
I also recommend having it hold a normal type attack boosting item such as silk scarf.
Spore != Effect Spore. Please do some research before you try and correct a mod ;)

Technician + False Swipe gives really decent power from Brelooms really good Attack Stat.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With the Safari Zone in HGSS, can you set objects and then change your DS's date to skip the waiting period? I'm too impatient to wait 70+ days

Sorry, the days themselves have to pass.
Or do what I did to cheat something in one pokemon game that I forget, of set the ds time to 1 minute before the next day and then it will have registered that the day has passed, idk if this works for HGSS though, I THINK it does, but I am not sure.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Sorry, the days themselves have to pass.
Weak. Does anyone have any advice for setting objects for getting the good stuff? I think I've only ever been in there like twice so I don't totally get how it works. I only really want Safari Ball Shelgon, Vigaroth and Kangaskhan...

I know I can check the WiFi forum but it's fun doing it yourself / haven't got much trade fodder

Weak. Does anyone have any advice for setting objects for getting the good stuff? I think I've only ever been in there like twice so I don't totally get how it works. I only really want Safari Ball Shelgon, Vigaroth and Kangaskhan...

I know I can check the WiFi forum but it's fun doing it yourself / haven't got much trade fodder
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/safarizone.shtml
That's probably the best guide I know of. It doesn't matter where you place the objects; just as long as there's as many as you need.

I want to start a Theorymon topic called Unbalanced Hackmons, but don't know where to put it. The idea is to suggest currently balanced pokemon, but with a single change that puts them out of control (with one of the rules being no new abilities). Another rule is no new mega-evolutions, since there is a thread for that already.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I want to start a Theorymon topic called Unbalanced Hackmons, but don't know where to put it. The idea is to suggest currently balanced pokemon, but with a single change that puts them out of control (with one of the rules being no new abilities). Another rule is no new mega-evolutions, since there is a thread for that already.
Try up in the Other Metagames forum. Alternatively PM user Hollywood and ask him about it.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Hey! :) is it even possible to get a 6iv pokemon from breeding or just hack? :)
Short Answer: Yes, but you have to get lucky. It's way easier once you get one though.

Long Answer: It is possible with breeding. With the Destiny Knot 5IVs are passed down meaning the sixth is randomized. The randomized number IV can be any number, including 31. If you're breeding with parents with 5 Perfect IVs the odds of getting a 6IV egg is 1 in 196 if they both have the same missing IV (For example 31/31/31/31/31/XX and 31/31/31/31/31/XX) or 1 in 128 if they have different missing IVs (Example 31/31/31/31/31/XX and 31/31/31/XX/31/31) If breeding a 6IV and a 5IV the odds are about 1 in 35 and if you breed two 6IVs the odds of a 6IV egg are 1 in 32.

Short Answer: Yes, but you have to get lucky. It's way easier once you get one though.

Long Answer: It is possible with breeding. With the Destiny Knot 5IVs are passed down meaning the sixth is randomized. The randomized number IV can be any number, including 31. If you're breeding with parents with 5 Perfect IVs the odds of getting a 6IV egg is 1 in 196 if they both have the same missing IV (For example 31/31/31/31/31/XX and 31/31/31/31/31/XX) or 1 in 128 if they have different missing IVs (Example 31/31/31/31/31/XX and 31/31/31/XX/31/31) If breeding a 6IV and a 5IV the odds are about 1 in 35 and if you breed two 6IVs the odds of a 6IV egg are 1 in 32.
How about when it's 31/31/31/x/x/31 and 31/31/31/x/31/31?

If anyone has a speed boost female carvanha or sharpedo they are willing to trade for, please let me know. Last pokemon needed to round out my team. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)