The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not lochie but I use this spread on CM Chandelure : 112 HP / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe (Modest nature) which does the following :
  • 4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 112 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 61-72 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
  • speed evs >>> base 100s that creep Honchkrow
Take moar bulk out of SpA if you find that works better for you, I prefer the heavy spa investment because I suck at baiting Hydreigon ^^

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

Managed to get to 1600 somehow, despite having a very Chandy / Absol / Hera weak team. Flygon still hits as hard as a little girl, but his Defog and the risky plays I make with him have saved me a couple of times. Magneton is becoming less useful the higher I climb (except for luring some threatening Pokemon, as nobody expects how hard it hits for some reason). On the other hand, Abomasnow's been even more consistent than before, as long as I'm able to remove Stealth Rock off the field. He's a solid check to most Water-types (luckily, I've only seen one Fire Blast Slowbro so far), Ground-types, Revenge Killer, Late Game cleaner and can tank some stronger hits if needed. Definitively surprised with his effectiveness. I'll most likely do some changes to the team before aiming for 1750.

Dark Horse evaluation (so far?):

Magneton: 2.5/5

Abomasnow: 3.5/5

Slowking: 4/5

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Re-entering as Alt DH Mikedawg 2
I'll use Shuckle and Exploud

Hit 1500:

Hit 1600:

Last edited:
Well, I'm not lochie but I use this spread on CM Chandelure : 112 HP / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe (Modest nature) which does the following :
  • 4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 112 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 61-72 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
  • speed evs >>> base 100s that creep Honchkrow
Take moar bulk out of SpA if you find that works better for you, I prefer the heavy spa investment because I suck at baiting Hydreigon ^^
I guess i was asking more along the lines of timid vs. Modest on subcm chandy. Timid means less speed investment and more "bulk" while modest hits harder with less investment as timid. So, modest is probably the way to go most likely.

OK

I tried again
and got it

The team:

Jellicent
Chandelure
Honchkrow
Crustle
Starmie
Nidoking

= 34.5

Jellicent - Ok so I try a lot with this thing but never worked, this time it worked great, I have finally found a set which it can function very effectively in UU. Taunt / WoW / Recover / Hex with Colbur Berry. First of all Colbur Berry helps me even counter threats like Torn-T (physical), Scrafty, Honchkrow, etc. Hex does a really good amount of damage. Taunt with some speed fuck Blissey, Porygon2, and Umbreon while Recover for instant recovery. I'd give this thing a 4/5. Great spinblocker.

Crustle - Wow, is this thing good or what? I use a gay set prolly but it works really great. It, a lot of time, gets up all hazards aka spikes + rocks. It has incredible defense and decent SpD given you invest. Rock Blast is rly weak when I don't invest but whatever. I use weak armor + rocky helmet, and boy it's so great. Rock Helmet helps me punish whoever u-turns (mienshao, tini, torn-t, darmanitan) and weak armor lets me outspeed certain things given I invest in speed at +2. The set was Iron defense / Rocks / Spikes / Rock Blast. 3.5/5

Rest of the team:

Chandelure: Sub CM, fucking great. Period.

Honchkrow: Standard Superpower / Sucker Punch / Brave Bird / Roost. Did pretty well

Starmie: Omg I have underestimated this thing a lot, analytic psyshock lo OHKOs Blissey, the pleasure of seeing that was amazing!

Nidoking: K I want to talk about this a lot, I used a mixed set and it was amazing. Tbh fully physical is bad and fully special is outclassed by Nidoqueen; however, mixed is so fucking good

Here's a couple of replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-139578889 - Crustle getting up all hazards, Chandelure withering down the team, and then Nidoking COMING THRUUUU.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-139583047 - Game almost lost, mixed wall milotic walling my team, haxing my chandelure, and then when finally withered down, Nidoking literally putting the entire team on his back and getting the game back

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-139588192 - Nothing really impressive. Just the game that I got 1500 with. I wanted to put this as proof 2 lazy to take screenshot. Oh and chandelure putting in work.

Probably going to 1600

Also, for chandelure, this is what I use:

Pink Core? LOL (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 148 Def / 56 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

112 HP / 4 SpD block florges from breaking sub. 56 Modest 2HKOs 252 HP mega toise at +1. Speed to outspeed speed creeping honch, and rest put in to defense.

Defense may sound a bit absurd, but it's great, it eats up knock offs from un-stab mons without crazy power.

4 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 112 HP / 148 Def Chandelure: 172-203 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tornadus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 112 HP / 148 Def Chandelure: 166-196 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
OK

Starmie: Omg I have underestimated this thing a lot, analytic psyshock lo OHKOs Blissey, the pleasure of seeing that was amazing!
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 333-394 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

What the hell are some people running on their Blisseys? Seriously ladder, get good.

Might piece together a team for this month, I'll tell you when/if I do. Got my eyes on a couple of Pokemon, the main problem is the max usage of the entire team that always gets to me.

EDIT: Got a DH team

Blissey 12.86366
Mew 9.91479
Tentacruel 4.89584 Ditto 0.85405%
Gligar 2.62139
Gastrodon 0.94583
Aromatisse 0.86443
= 32.something% less than 32.something%
EDIT 2: Team wasn't pink and blobby enough so Ditto is replacing Tentacruel.

Will post alt later when I make it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Professional2341 i think that starmid ohko blissy was a fluke tbh. The only way timid analytic starmie is obko blissey if its not running any defense, which every blisseyshould run...

252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Blissey: 711-838 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Add in those 252 def evs and that 94% to ohko turns into a 11.7%chance to 2hko.

CoolStoryBrobat i probably wont be laddering my dh team going forward, hax and bad plays forced my score to drop.

But, if i wanted to ladder again on a new alt with a different dh team, would that be allowed?

Gonna try this.

Blissey | 12.86366%
Chandelure | 8.90679%
Roserade | 8.35097% Heracross | 10.83479%
Reuniclus | 1.09725%
Aromatisse | 0.86443%
Qwilfish | 0.40127%

Total: 34,96819

ALT: Sean DH

User: seandh
This user has not played any ladder games yet.

Last edited:
CoolStoryBrobat i probably wont be laddering my dh team going forward, hax and bad plays forced my score to drop.

But, if i wanted to ladder again on a new alt with a different dh team, would that be allowed?
If you have literally any score above 1000 then it's worth it to keep going on the same account. It doesn't matter if you use different teams as long as they all fit the requirement. Probably should contain vaguely similar dark horses too but idk that's up to CSB.

If you have literally any score above 1000 then it's worth it to keep going on the same account. It doesn't matter if you use different teams as long as they all fit the requirement. Probably should contain vaguely similar dark horses too but idk that's up to CSB.
I hit 1500 already, but i came up with another dk team (completely different horses) that is very balanced and can peak higher i believe. So i wanted to challenge myself to ladder again with different horses.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hit 1500 already, but i came up with another dk team (completely different horses) that is very balanced and can peak higher i believe. So i wanted to challenge myself to ladder again with different horses.
Nah...sorry, man. Only one alt per month. You can feel free to test this team to see how well it fares for next month if you so wish though

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I passed the 1500 mark today after forgetting about this for a couple of days. I would have gotten it a lot sooner, but I got like 7 losses from D/Cs, which is eh.

So essentially the team works pretty awesome as a semi-stall team. Blissey + Qwilfish + Kyurem + Forretress is a pretty great defensive core, although Qwilfish takes a little bit more damage than I'd like it to with all the giant threats running around. Tornadus and LO LR Meloetta don't seem to fit, but they're really important. Tornadus punishes defogs like a boss and can easily sweep at +2 (it's not only its alternate forme that can fuck shit up), and LO LR Meloetta is a great win condition and stallbreaker. You can see the scale of its breaking power in the replay below (tl;dr, it 2hkos slowbro and defensive togetic). Really fun team to play around with and it reminds me a lot of a last gen playstyle. Sorry I couldn't get more replays.

I think I should be able to get 1600, but we'll see.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-140241981

OK so I have hit 1500, finally after much procrastination (because low ladder is boring lol):
View attachment 16546

So anyways, here's the after-I-hit-1500 evaluations of the 'mons I used.
Qwilfish: Holy crap this thing is great. I have no clue why it's in NU this generation, but the ability for this thing to setup spikes and check a lot of the common physical attackers in UU is great. It not only checks fire and fighting types (all of them excluding special ones like chandy), but it can check other physical attackers like Crobat because Intimidate + Thunder Wave. 9/10.

Tangrowth:
Qwilfish/Tangrowth form a pretty solid defensive core. Honestly though, tangrowth is also a defensive behemoth which can take most of the physical attackers in the tier when paired up with Qwilfish. It sets up Leech Seed often and has a spammable move in Knock Off this generation. 8.5/10.

So those were my only two Dark Horses, but for the others:

Snorlax: Clearly a specially defensive monster, resttalk with body slam and whirlwind works well with spikes and rocks from Nidoqueen. Paired with Mew, they can take pretty much any special hit ever. Obviously Snorlax is proven.

Nidoqueen: Because of this challenge I like Nidoqueen more than Nidoking. Its bulk and the ability to take out a lot of common threats because of its natural power with life orb is great. It can reliably set up rocks on a lot of 'mons, too.

Heracross: Yeah bandcross is probably the #1 wallbreaker in the tier, allowing me to switch this thing in freely on a sableye or whatever, grab a guts boost, and proceed to wreck house. It gets a lot of free switches because of the rest of my team and the fact that snorlax lures in mienshao and stuff.

Mew: Obviously SpDef mew with defog is the best hazard remover in the tier..better than mega aerodactyl which was what I was using for defog. This dude can defog on nearly anything and can cripple everything with knock off/will-o-wisp. Great 'mon.

But yeah, I might or might not go for 1600, I'm going on vacation tomorrow for 2 weeks so who knows. This was fun though.

I'm surprised Aroma isn't on the HoF this month yet, because it's so amazing.

Also GOD I miss this challenge, but y'know I'm kinda not home so :(

Good job to everyone already on the hall of fame, and I hope to see more people on it. See you in August!

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Might as well jump in for the next five days; Why not

Alt: shitbat

View attachment 16713

Preliminary team (Dark Horses bolded and will not be changed):

Meloetta | 0.81566%
Cobalion | 1.36656%
Alomomola | 1.53816%

Toxicroak | 6.19487%
Absol | 8.67911%
Chandelure | 8.90679%

= 27.5% total

Last edited:
just hit 1600 (screencap in my other post). my three dark horses were sceptile, tornadus, and kingdra. the rest of my team was entei, mew, and honchkrow. it is intentionally physically heavy (only mew and sceptile carry special attacks). i really really really like this team.

it is pretty much a standard overload offense team, with some less common threats.

first three layers

tornadus is running a set of my own, rest talk bulk up with prankster. max hp, enough speed to beat base 100s, the rest in attack. no item because acro-spam just can't wait sometimes. prankster rest-talk is cool because it allows it to beat some faster threats that could otherwise outspeed and bang you out. sleep talking and acro at the exact right time feels so good.

kingdra is running a classic chesto-rest set.

entei is using the usual choice band set, but with flare blitz over iron head. i had literally never clicked iron head after a bunch of battles, so i figured a 100% accurate STAB would be nice to have. additionally, flare blitz will 2hko any mega aggron no questions asked, which sacred fire can't. the additional accuracy, power, and pp (since you only get 8 measly sacred fires) are much more worth it than iron head (what does that even hit? rhyperior for like 30%?). espeed is also invaluable to the team.

these three work really well together to tear through stall and offense alike. slowbro can come in on a sacred fire and get burned, which softens it just enough for kingdra or torn to boost up and power through it. blissey also loves to switch in on tornadus and kingdra, which gives extra turns of set up for free. whirlwind hippow is blown through by kingdra. florges obviously doesnt stand a chance, 3hkoing tornadus, and being destroyed by sacred fire. mega aggrons that carry phasing require entei's help. rest-talk sets that have phasing are the most troublesome. still though, im using fucking entei, its not that much trouble. the only defensive threats this team struggles with are rest-talk mega amph and taunt sableye if i don't play it well. i haven't played any roar-cunes (seriously why am i the only one who uses this thing) but it would certainly be a bitch.

support

mew and honchkrow are kinda just doing their usual things defogging and sucker punching. two werid things are that i dont have SR on mew (or anyone else on the team) and roost on honchkrow (not all that weird, but i haven't seen much of it).

subseed sceptile was phenomenal at times. i would never use a different grass type to subseed because base 120 speed is just so good. crobat makes you utterly useless, though. focus blast and giga drain round out the set, allowing you to actually do something other than sit behind your sub. having a mediocre base hp means youre recovering a lot from seeds even though i ran 252 hp. it does a really great job coming in on bulky waters and wearing things down for the rest of the team to smash. bzse 120 speed allows him to just keep forcing switches and subbing up.

two main offensive threats to the team were raikou and mega-aero. their combination of speed and ability to eat my momentum for breakfast made them annoying to play against.

Cracked the 1500. Proof: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-141880470 (the battle itself is a bit boring so I decided to do something exciting at the end :3)

So you know what that means people.
IT'S EVALUATION TIME!
Firstly, before I want to go into discussing any of my Dark Horses, I just want to talk briefly about the playstyle which I chose to take on this challenge, pure stall. Everything in my team is PINK :D. Stall is a rather dying playstyle in UU, and is rather hard to pull off with the stupid amount of wallbreakers and stallbreakers around. There really aren't many stall teams out there at the moment, and I got quite a lot of amusing reactions (really goes to show how often they fight stall teams, I set out on the goal of frustrating people and boy did I do it (check replays below)). Though ultimately, although I believe pure stall probably isn't the strongest playstyle in the tier at the moment, it is still a bit more viable than what people think.

Now on to my Dark Horses:
Aromatisse
Now this is one which I've used before, AND IT SHOULD BE GETTING MUCH MORE USAGE! Honestly people, this thing practically outclasses Florges, now that Blissey is in the tier to take on the Special attackers. Its superior physical defence as well as not only a useful but bloody brilliant ability for its job make it in most cases the better option. Immunity to Taunt as well as its typing and STAB Moonblast make it probably the best switchins to Sableye. For the stall team it walled Heracross (one of the best defensive switchins to that nasty CB set), Mienshao, Absol, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Machamp and Lucario, all of which besides Hydreigon it walls better than Florges thanks to its superior PhysDef. I've also encountered a few people who didn't realise that its ability blocks Taunt and Encore, which is great because it means it can always Wish heal or Aromatherapy. Seriously, use this thing. The Aromatisse/Blissey core is also great. I'd give it a 9.5/10.
Gastrodon
The pink slug who I also find to be horribly underused for how well it performs. It is what I used to stop the Fire types, and it is quite good at its job:
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 168-198 (39.4 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's pretty frecking good. And with immunity to Bolt Strike as well as reliable recovery in Recover that it holds over Swampert, it is a pretty nice Pokemon. And as an added benefit it is also what I use to play around CM-Bro which it defeats with toxic and CroCune, which it is immune to its scald though can't beat 1on1 thanks to CroCunes PP stall, but I do have Blissey and between the 2 I can PP stall CroCune with switches :^) Gastrodon's bulk is great, being able to take on M-Blastoise as well, which most other Bulky Waters in the tier can't, and dishes out all the damage you really need from it, especially with a Storm Drain boost. Really good Pokemon, honestly a great substitute for your slap-on Slowbro. I'd give it a 8/10.
Gligar
Gligar has been one of the more "meh" Pokemon. It is good, but has quite few exploitable faults which really hold it back imo. Its Physical bulk is outstanding, and then it loses its Eviolite to a Knock Off and all of a sudden it is about on par with all the other physical walls, and even some of the worse ones. My bigger problem is how many Pokemon it can't really touch. There are those Pokemon which it walls that you need EQ for, especially when its biggest feat is walling Lucario, Roost is also mandatory and it should probably be running either SR or Defog or both, there just remains so many things that aren't threatened by it (looking at the Flying-types, Crobat, Aero, Fletch etc.) which just have free switch-ins most of the time with nothing to overly discourage all of them, or anyone of them in particular enough that it is worth the slot. Bulky Waters are also a bitch, and so is SURPRISE HP Ice on a bunch of the Electric-types such as Raikou. Also sucks that it can't wall Heracross too well, as it is susceptible to that bitchy Knock Off and has nothing to really hit it back with unless I opt for Aerial Ace. Though saying all that, it was my go to Physical wall if I run into a random Physical Mon which my team wasn't overly prepared for, as its bulk is pretty darn good. I'd give it a 5.5/10.
Ditto
This ended up replacing Tentacruel on the team, as Tentacruel wasn't quite Pink enough and I didn't really have a good win condition. So why not steal my opponents win condition? Scarf Ditto is great, and often 5x scarier than what my opponent was using. I mean +2 Lucario is something, but +2 Scarfed Lucario is really scary. This Pokemon really turned this stall team around from being an alright team, to a great team, checking a bunch of Pokemon that I may not have been able to prepare for. Seriously though, the stall featuring Ditto is really what brings this team together really well. I'd give it a 8/10.
Mew
I've been using my trapper Mew set here to beat up the clerics so that I can freely Toxic after I remove them, greatly cripple them or drain them of PP. Also functions as a general nuisance and a great answer to Psyshock users.
Blissey
Yeah, fatty is just here to wall 95% of Special Attackers and great Wish heals :)

Really shows off Aromatisse's walling potential (and my susceptibility to Leech Seed ;_;) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-141839160
Ditto Sweep http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-141801928
Nice little rage at the end http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-141799051
Another big stall fan (sarcasm) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-141793985
I'm called RawFrustration for a reason people http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-140707982
Managed to turn this around with just Gligar and Aromatisse pulling through http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-140704107
Aromatisse power http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-140156741

Gotta think pink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)