Silly Things You've Seen On The Ladder (UU Version)

One thing which can be done with this thread though is teach people the viability of certain niche mons or how some sets can actually function. I mean there are plenty of accounts where in threads such as these someone says "this guy used this lol" and then someone replies saying that it actually is a viable option somehow. If it is actually alright and someone else can see potential in it we can learn from it of new strategies etc. And if it really is just a shit set we can have a laugh. So these threads can have a purpose.
One thing which I might want to change about the thread is perhaps from "silly" to "weird" or "strange", as silly has a heavier connotation of rubbish when weird or strange have more of a neutral feel about them. So we can say something where we have gone "why the hell would you use this?" and if someone has an actually legit reason why to use it they can reply in this thread, and perhaps the set wasn't that bad in the first place and we learn from it. Or we have a laugh, because honestly there are a bunch of people who don't know what they are doing.
Read the rules, I explicitly state to remember that just because someone is running something that isn't necessarily the standard doesn't mean it's weird - in fact it could be pretty viable. So please, instead of people complaining about the uselessness of this thread and how it could be improved, can't we just post things relevant to what this thread is for?

probably the guy misclicked and didn't notice when he was attempting to type choice band in the teambuilder lol
No, he actually legit said at least I am being original. He purposely chose a Choice Scarf set lol. Original, but viable? Not really.

Read the rules, I explicitly state to remember that just because someone is running something that isn't necessarily the standard doesn't mean it's weird - in fact it could be pretty viable. So please, instead of people complaining about the uselessness of this thread and how it could be improved, can't we just post things relevant to what this thread is for?
I was actually fighting for why this thread is a good thing and pretty much saying what you just said, that weird can be viable. It is a good secondary purpose for this thread so those who are new and find something weird which they saw to actually be viable, I was trying to fight all the other comments who said this thread doesn't have a good purpose. Though the word "Silly" generally connotes "bad" rather than just "unusual", which I feel is why we should tread more careful with the wording in this thread.
I'm trying so say why this thread is useful lol.

Unown
Edit: oh, sorry. I don't have a replay, but the battle went somewhat like this: battle started between mrganon and somebody or other! Somebody or other left. mrganon won the battle!

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-128351735

1. Turn 5, Blissey uses Dazzling Gleam. Doesn't it usually have Flamethrower for damage?

2. One Flygon (named Siegfried, The Dragon Slayer) swept most of the team. I just think that's cool.

2.5: I made my team with bad pokemon on purpose, I just have more fun with it this way. In fact Mienshao did the least in this fight.

Last edited:

1. Turn 5, Blissey uses Dazzling Gleam. Doesn't it usually have Flamethrower for damage?

2. One Flygon (named Siegfried, The Dragon Slayer) swept most of the team. I just think that's cool.

2.5: I made my team with bad pokemon on purpose, I just have more fun with it this way. In fact Mienshao did the least in this fight.
idgi because im pretty sure your lapras never came out

other than that i... don't really have any idea how this fits the thread at all

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Ummm....the only attacking move that Blissey normally runs is Seismic Toss.

Ummm....the only attacking move that Blissey normally runs is Seismic Toss.
I think that Dazzling Gleam isn't totally unviable on Blissey. It has pretty good coverage in UU, hitting important targets like Hydreigon, Honchkrow, Mega Absol etc for major damage despite coming from Blissey's average base 75 special attack. It also nails fighting types, Blissey's main nemesis, on the switch in, discouraging them from switching in repeatingly. However, due to Blissey uninvested special attack stat, it actually does less damage to extremely bulky fighting types like Assualt Vest Machamp. It also loses the ability to effectively run Toxic due to total inability to damage Poison and Steel types. While Dazzling Gleam on Blissey may be a generally inferior option, it has some occasional uses and isn't THAT silly.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that Dazzling Gleam isn't totally unviable on Blissey. It has pretty good coverage in UU, hitting important targets like Hydreigon, Honchkrow, Mega Absol etc for major damage despite coming from Blissey's average base 75 special attack. It also nails fighting types, Blissey's main nemesis, on the switch in, discouraging them from switching in repeatingly. However, due to Blissey uninvested special attack stat, it actually does less damage to extremely bulky fighting types like Assualt Vest Machamp. It also loses the ability to effectively run Toxic due to total inability to damage Poison and Steel types. While Dazzling Gleam on Blissey may be a generally inferior option, it has some occasional uses and isn't THAT silly.
I think you misunderstood. I meant that Seismic Toss > Flamethrower, nothing about Dazzling Gleam.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-131935068

Work Up / Mega Kick / Charm Blissey
Toxic Orb + Facade Sableye

This was really painful to play against ;_;
Why does no one use the old standard Sableye with Wow/Recover/Taunt/Foul Play or Knock off in UU? I run it in here and OU, and it's always amazing. To this day I've seen sableye running:

Mean Look
Metal Burst(ok that might not actually be a bad idea)
Fake Out
Dazzling Gleam
Sucker Punch

Why does no one use the old standard Sableye with Wow/Recover/Taunt/Foul Play or Knock off in UU? I run it in here and OU, and it's always amazing. To this day I've seen sableye running:

Mean Look
Metal Burst(ok that might not actually be a bad idea)
Fake Out
Dazzling Gleam
Sucker Punch
That's 5 moves bro haha

Well, Foul Play in itself isn't too bad on Zam for checking setup physical mons and just physical mons in general, but admittedly not that great an option against Blissey's base 10 attack when you have Psyshock.

Hypno used Rest.

It Failed!

inb4 they forgot to remove Insomnia. To be fair, it was on a mono-psychic team which had no place in the UU tier

Another would have to be the horrible chat I get sometimes. "Double-screens is so troll, your team is shit." I heard this while I was in the process of sweeping their team.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Was lurking in the UU chat and some guy links an active UU battle with Specs (serene grace?) Blissey from some guy who was 1470 Elo. Specs got knocked off by the opponent's Mienshao but Blissey proceeds to Thunder Mienshao for a solid 58% and it gets the parahax. Damn straight.

Last edited:
Well since this thread is here, may as well show off my findings.

View attachment 15961

This thing also had Psyshock and Psychic on the same set
Foul play is actually pretty anti meta dont go knocking it too hard. I run sash zam with psyshock, shadowball, dazzling gleam and focuz blast. But, if you have a physical booster not named cloyster like haxorus for example. Foul play does more damage when had is at +2 than dazzling gleam.

+2 0- Atk Alakazam Foul Play vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 272-321 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Its actually great lure while you maintain the sash. I think they were expecting a psyshock switch in like mega aggron which foul play wouldve hit harder. As for psychic and psyshock, both have merits. Maybe not so much on the same set, but it allows yoy to hit both the defensive and sp def aide almost equally as hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)