Hit and Run: Volt-Turn

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Good ol' Volt-Turn. This is still a thing right? Oh well, doesn't matter because I'm using it. Hello and welcome to my RMT thread that will be focusing around Volt-Turn (go figure). This team started out as a way to get a friend of mine into hyper offence since she had gotten so comfortable to bulky offence and couldn't advance any higher on the ladder because of the overwhelming speed and power she had to play against. I figured I'd show her the ropes of HO by making a team based around a play style she is very familiar with and included her favorite mega pokemon. I didn't test the team too much but I did play it enough to the point where I'm sure I can do well upper ladder if I put the time and effort into it, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I give her the team.

Team Building Process

Like the title suggests this team was based around Mega Manectric. I didn't pick Manectric just because he's my friends favorite mega, it was because of his high speed and sp.atk stats. He also has intimidate making him a good check to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir.

Next I added Landorus-T and Rotom-W to make a Volt-Turn core. I also added these two because my friend has experience using these two in combination with Manectric. Landorus-T has a great defencive typing and Intimdate which paired with Mega Manectric makes a pretty cool intimidate core. Rotom is added in order to insure I don't get swept by a belly drum azumarill.

I really wanted a pokemon that could both set up rocks and hit hard. My search led me to Garchomp.

I noticed that ice-type moves could be problematic for the team so to take care of that I added Aegislash since he resists ice moves and as we all know he is a great pokemon all on his own.

I really wanted an offencive defogger which there are plenty of. Seeing as how Bisharp can already prove troublesome to my team I decided to dismiss Latios and Latias. It dawned on me that I should add a defogger that could use u-turn or volt switch and that left me with the choice of either Zapdos or Crobat. I already had enough sp.attackers and everything I'd wall with Zapdos is being covered by Lando, Wash, and Manec. I was left with Crobat as my speedy and hard hitting defogger.

The team looked and felt great, but I noticed I couldn't touch Mega Venusaur outside of Crobat. 95% of the time Mega Venusaur is paired up with bulky stall pokemon that will wear down my Crobat if I decide to spam Brave Bird. The end result was Deoxys-S>Garchomp. Mixed Deoxys-S is an amazing revenge killer who can outspeed any scarfed poke, it seemed like a fair trade off for my rocks considering I can still hit Dragons, Steels, and now mega saur.

Team Analysis

@ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
This is your everyday same as always Mega Manectric set. I like to run just a tiny bit of bulk to ensure I can live a couple of resisted hits. I run thunderbolt for STAB and volt switch for momentum. A few people I know like to diss Manectric and say Jolteon is better, but there is one thing Manectric carries that Jolteon wishes he had. That would be the oh so wonderful Flamethrower. In a world where fire, fighting, water, and flying moves are common it's nice to know Manectric has flamethrower in it's move pool. Hidden Power Ice is for Dragon with x4 weakness to ice and for ground types as well as Thundurus. I don't really take advantage of Lightningrod anymore because of Manectric becoming more common so people are aware of it but hey if I want to be ballsy I'd take a chance and switch into a potential electric type move.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off​
Lando-T is something I've neglected to use since I started to play HO, it was mainly because he cannot switch into Bisharp because he gives Bisharp a +1 boost and because he didn't have the reliable recovery Hippowdon had. Now that I'm playing Volt-Turn again I was delighted to be reunited with my old friend only now he plays a different role. Up til now I've always used Lando as a bulky pivot, but I really need speed and Scarf Lando-T is perfect for that. There will be time when I'm being forced to switch into Lando while a Zard X attempts to set up and that Zard will be very sad to know he's not gonna out speed me. Scarf Lando is also my answer to opposing Mega Manectric. Earthquake is for STAB, U-Turn for momentum, Stone Edge is to hit Talonflame, Non-Mega Gyarados, Zard Y,etc. and Knock Off is thrown in there just to be there really, but it's really helpful when I need it.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 20 Atk / 236 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off/Taunt
- Superpower
- Ice Beam​
I honestly cannot decide who is better in this slot CB Talonflame or Deoxys-S. I prefer Deoxys-S since I can naturally out speed anything, but there are times I wish I had Talonflame since this team lacks priority and it has U-Turn. The set I use is mixed and is capable of revenge killing alot of things. Psycho Boost is for Strong STAB and to get rid of Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Mega Venusaur. Knock Off is self explanatory and taunt is an alternative ment to break stall or stop set up. Superpower is a desperate move to hit steel types like Ferrothorn and other pokes weak to fighting. Ice Beam is used for coverage and to try to make up for dropping Garchomp.

@ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Spd / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest​
Yet another cookie cutter set. ChestoRest Rotom-W shouldn't be new to anyone here, but I'll still go over it. I choose physical Rotom in order to take care of Azumarill and I invested enough speed to outspeed maximum speed jolly Azumarill. Hydro Pump is for STAB, Volt Switch is for momentum, Will-O-Miss for crippling pokemon, and rest to regain lost hp.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 16 Atk / 4 SDef / 236 HP
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword​

Nothing too out of the ordinary. Aegislash fits very well with the team's offencive play style and answer to many things. The Ev's are used for the substitute variant but I may be wrong. I'm not to sure if there is a magic lefties number for a mixed sub slash. My Iv's and nature are to ensure I hit last and stay in shield form until I do. King's Shield is self explanatory, Substitute is ment for predicting switches and a Aegislash behind a sub is serious shit, Shadow Ball for STAB, and Sacred Sword for Chansey I guess. I would like to note that I do miss shadow sneak but I can play much safer with sub.

@ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn/Taunt
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost​
Na na na na nananana nanana nanana Crobat! Crobat's speed and power is freakin' awesome and he has infiltrator, fuck yeah! My favorite part about Crobat is his utility and his 4x resistance to Fighting, Bug, and Grass. That makes him an amazing partner for Rotom. The reason I ever need a defogger my team is because I do a lot of switching and if rocks got up on my side then I'd be worn down fast. I've throught of spinner but they didn't work with the team and I've thought about Mandibuzz which does work but it kills my momentum and Zapdos's job is taken care of by the others so I was left with Crobat. U-turn is for momentum, taunt can be used as an alternative for wall breaking, Defog is a necessity, BB for hitting things, and finally roost because I overwork Crobat more than my Breeding Dittos.

Conclusion
The team is a bit of fresh air to me and is easy and fun to use. Like any team that isn't Dennis' baton pass team(Fuck You Dennis) there is always room for improvement. I see Rotom as the weakest link and would like some advice for a replacement. I encourage people to try out this team and give me feedback and I encourage Team Jackers( You have my blessing) to do as they like.

Importable
Zero (Manectric) (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Charlie Sheen (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Flash Gordon (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 20 Atk / 236 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Spd / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Metallica (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 16 Atk / 4 SDef / 236 HP
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Brobat (Crobat) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Last edited:
Firstly its great to see more Deoxys speed revenge killers out there <3. Now then, cool rmt but as always i have a few comments: That lando-t set looks to me that it good be a perfect phy def assault vest user, and instead of chesto rotom scarf that as most people have forgotten about rotom with a scarf. I know you have a defogger which is why you dont go for rocks as itd slow you down but it is weak to rocks on its own, this might add to the ice weakness but Gliscor has u turn and defog but while its not as fast as crobat, facade on it still does nice damage with toxic orb to regain health from hazards. Also gliscor has more chance of surviving a defiant boost knock off than a crobat does and can if need be hit it with SE damage with EQ. Plus you mentioned about the 4x resistances crobat has, gliscor has them too but not to the 4x extent. Well thats all i guess, good luck!

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Firstly its great to see more Deoxys speed revenge killers out there <3. Now then, cool rmt but as always i have a few comments: That lando-t set looks to me that it good be a perfect phy def assault vest user, and instead of chesto rotom scarf that as most people have forgotten about rotom with a scarf. I know you have a defogger which is why you dont go for rocks as itd slow you down but it is weak to rocks on its own, this might add to the ice weakness but Gliscor has u turn and defog but while its not as fast as crobat, facade on it still does nice damage with toxic orb to regain health from hazards. Also gliscor has more chance of surviving a defiant boost knock off than a crobat does and can if need be hit it with SE damage with EQ. Plus you mentioned about the 4x resistances crobat has, gliscor has them too but not to the 4x extent. Well thats all i guess, good luck!
Thanks for the rate, definately taking your advice on lando and rotom. As for gliscor im positive poison heal gliscor was a 5th gen thing so that wouldnt work. Actually it would work but im not healing as much. However, i'll stick with crobat. Thx for the advice.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey man cool team! I see a problem with switching into Latios as Aegislash is easily worn down and you are running sub which wears it down even more so my suggestion is running pursuit on it over substitute. This will better allow you to check Latios as after rocks and one lifeorb hit pursuit will knock it out on the switch out meaning that you won't have to deal with that pesky threat anymore. You can run this spread that way it is able to do so 220HP 40Atk 244SpA 4SpD with a quiet nature. I really think that rotom-w is replaceable as I see Manectric and Landorus-T as well as Crobat even as your bird/flying type checks which is the role that rotom-w is supposed to fill and with rotom-w is just makes you weaker to mold breaker scarf drill as landorus is easily worn down. I suggest Assault vest azumarill over that as it better helps you with your switch ins to Greninja as that is a huge threat to your team and it gives you a form of priority to better check excadrill as well as dragons locked into outrage:

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

One last suggestion. Bisharp and Mega Mawile really annoy your team. Getting free boosts in attack from two pokemon, outpeeding another and knocking it out with knock off and Crobat being set up bait. I would suggest possibly adding a heatran over deoxys-speed as that mon is now banned/soon to be banned. This gives your team a stealth rocker as well as helps you with those two weaknesses + is a good check/counter to none eq variants of mega venusaur.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 180 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp

This ev spread better lets you take on the aforementioned two and will-o-wisp gives you a nasty surprise for those tyranitar and azumarill switch ins. Anyway, cool team man! Hope i was of some sort of help.

Last edited:

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Hey man cool team! I see a problem with switching into Latios as Aegislash is easily worn down and you are running sub which wears it down even more so my suggestion is running pursuit on it over substitute. This will better allow you to check Latios as after rocks and one lifeorb hit pursuit will knock it out on the switch out meaning that you won't have to deal with that pesky threat anymore. You can run this spread that way it is able to do so 220HP 40Atk 244SpA 4SpD with a quiet nature. I really think that rotom-w is replaceable as I see Manectric and Landorus-T as well as Crobat even as your bird/flying type checks which is the role that rotom-w is supposed to fill and with rotom-w is just makes you weaker to mold breaker scarf drill as landorus is easily worn down. I suggest Assault vest azumarill over that as it better helps you with your switch ins to Greninja as that is a huge threat to your team and it gives you a form of priority to better check excadrill as well as dragons locked into outrage:

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

One last suggestion. Bisharp and Mega Mawile really annoy your team. Getting free boosts in attack from two pokemon, outpeeding another and knocking it out with knock off and Crobat being set up bait. I would suggest possibly adding a heatran over deoxys-speed as that mon is now banned/soon to be banned. This gives your team a stealth rocker as well as helps you with those two weaknesses + is a good check/counter to none eq variants of mega venusaur.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 180 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
This ev spread better lets you take on the aforementioned two and will-o-wisp gives you a nasty surprise for those tyranitar and azumarill switch ins. Anyway, cool team man! Hope i was of some sort of help.
Thanks Aim you were a huge help. I just couldnt figure out what to replace rotom with since that thing was dead weight so thanks for the azumarill suggestion. I actually anticipated deo getting banned when I made this team so i do have a replacement for him but i want to see how tran works out. Appreciate the rate.

Reactions: aim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)