XY OU (Stall) Brutal Battleships

I've been working on a few different stall teams for a while and it's been very hit/miss. I mean, I'm not sticking any bit to the general idea so they've been terribly abstract for the most part, but hit/miss nonetheless. However, there have been a few gems that I have to show for my work, this being one of them capitalizing on perhaps the most underrated mega, Mega Blastoise.

The basic concept was this: Spinners and Defoggers are, on offensive teams, considered support mons. Giving away a mega to a support mon generally means you're giving away a powerful potential sweeper. This generally really hurts blastoise because huge sweepers like ZardX, Pinsir-m, Gyara-m all want that support and are all incredibly good... too good to pass up on when things like Latias exist that can defog without too much pain.

However, Stall isn't concerned with that sweeper. The main mega is just a really good wall, right? They don't need rock weaknesses to justify the use of hazard clearers and they're not looking for a mega to be a win condition. In this sense, Mega Blastoise is a fine option for stall when seen by that definition alone. However, stall sees limitations to Mega Blastoise: He lacks recovery, an exemplary typing, competes with quagsire and other bulky waters, and doesn't necessarily "Wall" so much as tank.

But his upside is real. Possessing near as much attack as heatran and also having a stab burn move, he has team support in rapid spin and some offensive pressure that most mons just can't emulate. The coverage to take most rock setters and all spin blockers? Please, I'll take that any day. There HAD to be a way to make him work, right?

This originally started as a team meant to check for Mega Blastoise's potential. As such, I initially decided that a FWG core was needed. The justification was odd: I really needed a ZardX stop, so I tried to mold arcanine into one... Heatran seemed too risky with ZardX running EQ. And I just love chesnaught, who seemed like a better option than Amoongus for catching the then-new trend of SandRush Exca. A skarm/Bliss core was going to support mega Blastoise as I started testing. At first, I considered it temporary because it is one of the best support cores for stall. Scizor was CB to take care of a Lando+sylveon+Gard weakness. It didn't work particularly well for lando, so I had to make adjustments.

So, eventually I found Arcanine to not be as successful a ZardX stop as I hoped. After saying "You sunk my battleship" a few too many times, I decided to actually invest in a team that could take ZardX. I COULD use quag, but that left me to anyone who wanted to break stall with ZardX breaking me. I've done double water in the past, it isn't that bad. However, I felt that I could do better, even though theoretically nothing other than Rhyperior walls it well and rhyperior... ugh, not a fan. So, I decided to take a semi-stall approach and check it with a scarfer... Latias. Scarf Latias is kinda last gen, so I added trick to get rid of it when ZardX isn't around. I dealt in Aegislash to take care of what Scizor missed, allowing Lando to fall to Latias.

<
&
<

So, shall we fire up the old guns?

Comparable to a Yamato Battleship in firepower, just doesn't sink as often.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

So after some experimentation, this is what I came up with... Moveset is standard for Blastoise Mega, running the Aura/Rapid/DarkPulse that he's known for. However, Scald is somewhat surprising to some. It's just better for a defensive team to pass statuses than confusion, as confusion seems to be more a pressure tool whereas burns legitimately disable pokemon.

The Ev spread allows Blastoise to OHKO Landorus-I after rocks or with a burn (basically min 88%). The Spdef allows him to GENERALLY take two earth powers, though you need max Spdef to guarantee it. I can take Draco Meteors and the lot with relative ease, making Blastoise Mega a very good special pivot... and nothing offensive wants to pivot in. That isn't to say you can't take physical hits. The base physical bulk is more than Mawile-m, and they're slightly comparable in that department (both genereally are Max HP) although Blastoise has better HP and ergo better physical bulk (not including base form's intimidate).

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 153-180 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Can OHKO back, same condition as Lando-i

252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 144-169 (39.7 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
Can OHKO back, will with any prior damage

4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 212-252 (58.5 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
2hko secure back.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 237-280 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Can't win this one but burnfishing like a pro.

I mean, that's pretty decent bulk, especially considering it isn't invested. Definitely not what you WANT to take physical hits all the time, but resisted fire hits are something he may need to take (mainly entei/victini).

Blastoise is asked to apply offensive pressure for the team and absorb victini when Latias can't. As well as being a general pain in the ass to switch into, I also like to have him take the most damage on the team. Team support from Chansey and Latias will keep him from falling, as his fantastic bulk in combination with his large SpA generally allows him to outlast any other rock setter. Considering he can dual down Lando-t/i, as well as have advantages in any fight vs TTar, Heatran, Deoxys and Skarmory, I only worry about Ferrothorn and Garchomp, both of which Blastoise can beat given circumstances (burn vs chomp, no prior damage when facing Ferro).

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hammer Arm

A staple on a lot of my more recent stalls, it isn't hard to see why Chesnaught is sooo good. If the opponent has an Excadrill, physical TTar, Aegislash not running toxic, Breloom or any number of threats that just can't hurt chesnaught, they're about to face a monster behind a sub. While the EQ sub set doesn't fare as well with turning tables as a set like the Rock coverage set would, this allows me to get some prior damage on Landorus (the 12% that guarantees the OHKO on him), kill heatran with relative ease should it stay in, slay greninja with relative ease and slay off a good bit from the safety of the sub. It is nice in that Manectric-mega actually can get wrecked rather easy from this set.... ZardX, Mawile-mega and other threats that usually not only enjoy switching into Chesnaught but setting up on his switch out now fear what he can do with EQ.

Chesnaught is really the last part of my offensive pokes, and is my general stop to sand offense. If I can get the sub up, I can change the game. The physical bulk is a fantastic compliment to Blastoise-mega and allows me to absorb some pokemon like Ferrothorn, Venusaur and Amoongus just a little easier.

Received "Most likely to die unloved" high school superlative.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

I'm still enjoying the double recover set with wish support more than the Twave support chansey. This mon is so self explanatory, I'm just going to talk about why I chose it over Sylveon, my more go-to cleric. The reasoning is simple: This team needed more defensive posturing. Blastoise+Chesnaught have risk in their lessened recovery compared to any other stall mon. Latias doesn't run roost. Aegislash has no recovery. Sylveon just couldn't maintain a team that had a recover scheme more geared towards balance than stall. I needed the wishes badly, so why not? Blastoise/Chesnaught/Lati did make up for the offensive pressure lost more than usual so it wasn't too much to allow the cleric to be more or less a seismic toss+wish deal. The mons on this team need direct recovery and major wishes to help with the damage they take, so chansey eased that up more than any other cleric ever could.

Nearly as good a wall as Tim Howard

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

I chose Skarmory first because it was an easy compliment to chansey and second because Zapdos sucks at consistency with Pinsir-mega. Even though I could've gotten away with it having lati, I didn't like how high HP I had to have for that. Anyways, standard set. Works well with Chesnaught to get most physical threats outside of fire types. Yes, fire types are kinda a known issue, but to this point only physical fires (and mainly only ZardX) are the ones that worry me. And since I dedicated a check to that, I wasn't terribly worried.

I keep using the counter taunt because I can't think of why I'd not have as many mawile checks as possible. I guess Brave Bird + WW... But meh, Counter+Taunt can save you from many boosting sweepers when you don't have quag, mainly scizor-mega.

Aegislash giveth and Aegislash taketh away.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Pursuit

This set may seem a bit strange... a more physically based aegislash is kinda rare. But I needed something to make sure I could at least damage goth without it completely ravaging my team. Now that Goth is rarer, I'm not terribly worried, but I keep it just in case. Shadow Ball 2hko's GardM and Iron Head will rail out fairies with ease... Take that, CM clefable!

4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-258 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 90-106 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- 70.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 132-156 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The minus speed nature makes sure that I can always take a fire attack (or attack period) in shield. Yeah, CM is worrysome, but if I can get it low enough, I can EQ it to death with Chesnaught (with that troll 64 speed). And I should win this iirc. Of course, aegi has other things he can do. He helps me with Mr. HeraMega, Lati defog twins and others.

Almost named her MH370.

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor

Look at this wacky set...

So when I finished, I noticed I had a few mons that scared me. BD Azum, DD ZardX, DDGyara, Lando-I... Just things like that. And Speed is beautiful... just damage and kill everything, please. Because opposing stall teams choose to counter Latias with Chansey, I choose to give Chansey the gift of warmth with a stylish scarf. The healing wish is kinda an offensive choice, but so many mons on my team have no recovery that having secondary support vs major threats was nice... and since latias is only being used to patch up threats and is not necessary to the stalling in this team, I'm confident with playing with five mons + a free 100% replenish at any point in the match.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hammer Arm

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Pursuit

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Scald

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor

Threats:

The single biggest threat to this team are physical fire types. Latias kinda handles them (and really messes with talonflame running Flare Blitz thinking it will outspeed when scarf tbolt destroys it), but Blastoise kinda gets called forward to wall off these guys. A product of my physical core being fire weak, but fire is one of the least seen physical attack types... ZardX, Entei, Talonflame and Victini are the only ones I can imagine you seeing...

Conclusion:

I don't think you'll find mega blastoise as a stall staple any time soon. This team helps him shine and he shines very well... He's quickly become one of my favorite megas due to how he plays here. However, while his support is quite evident, so is the support he needs. I think a balanced team is more suited for him than stall, as evident in the more offensive build of the team than a general stall. However, I'm all for bulky attackers. With this team, it's rare I have to say "You sunk my battleship!".

As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
The team looks great. Having used an earlier version of the team with different Mega Blastiose evs, one thing that I noticed about the team is that choice band Talonflame applies a reasonable amount of pressure on the team but it is manageable. Mega Mawile is also pain for the team to deal with from my experience. Also, the team is very Chansey dependent so losing Chansey can be backbreaking.

Let's see where to start.
This team is terrible

I like this team quite a lot. As always though, Mega Mawile rapes shit outside of Skarm (really when are we going to suspect this thing). also needs more flamethrower Chansey
On Chesnaught, I would probably try to slash Spiky Shield somewhere as it's speed isn't blazing fast so it's not going to block any status such as Thunder Wave, or Will-O-Wisp and to get rid of status you would have to Heal Bell with Chansey which means if you have Subbed you basically just lose 25% and gained nothing (assuming Leech Seed isn't up yet)--don't mind my logic if I'm completely wrong btw

Also, if you are considering something if Aegislash gets banned (which is dumb af), you may be forced to use Quagsire, or you can use Thick Fat Azumarill. I seen this on another RMT which let Azumarill avoid being rekt'd by +1 Charizard Flare Blitz. the set was

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Perish Song

I don't know how this fares with Blastoise as it adds another Electric weakness but you do have two resist.

bad team. I mean great team! :]

Another team from Ajwf, I'm very excited!!

it looks very solid, but I agree with A Terrakion, but I'm leaning towards Thick fat Azumarill, as it also give you the Fairy/Steel/Dragon core as well.

Mah 2 cent...

How to critique the stall guru...that's the million dollar question.

This team is a real gem, and it just got a heck of a lot better now that you don't have to deal with the Deoxys forms throwing hazards all over the place. Obviously, the Aegislash suspect is going to have a pretty large impact on this team. If we keep Aegislash, this team is going to rock the ladder; if we lose him-well--you're going to need to patch up that Goth/Gard weakness.

Love the innovation on this team--every poke clearly carries its weight, although I'll say that Chansey and Latias carry a lot of the weight. Losing one of them too early will make things really difficult for the rest of the team, so be mindful of pursuit trappers.

Like you said, this team is a product of picking your weaknesses, and it looks like you picked a good one--physical fire--as it's not very common. Mixed Infernape could be a nuisance if you can't afford to switch in blastoise (although he's not that common). You COULD try slashing psy shock on Latias to handle him, although like I said, Latias already has enough to do.

All in all, this team looks fantastic, and I think I just might take it out for a test drive sometime before we lose Aegislash. Well done!

-gizmo-

Smogon's Kingpin
Idk what to say, I just want to leave a comment for bump support.

Spdef blastoise is quite hawt.

Thanks for all the support so far!

I'm assuming the advice would be to replace a banned aegi with azum? You didn't exactly specify what to take out... If anything, I might change the Lati set completely or switch it out for the Azum. That would require an electric resist/immune in aegi's spot, so assuming the suspect comes to Aegi's ban, I'll look into it. Probably gliscor, which would help patch Heracross in that situation.

Having been on the suspect ladder, I made the adjustment of Doublade > Aegislash. While less optimal in attack (just by a bit), he does have very similar special bulk and far more physical bulk, making him a wonderful option. Nothing really changes there other than shadow claw over shadow ball and toxic over king's shield... I guess protect would be nice, but toxic support is special. It is a very special physical wall, but it almost feels like I'm overloading on physical side support. Mixed ape is about the only issue I've seen and I don't really want to run psyshock lati because draco should OHKO and taking out tbolt gives a bit of room for BD azum to hurt me.

Thanks for all the support so far!

I'm assuming the advice would be to replace a banned aegi with azum? You didn't exactly specify what to take out... If anything, I might change the Lati set completely or switch it out for the Azum. That would require an electric resist/immune in aegi's spot, so assuming the suspect comes to Aegi's ban, I'll look into it. Probably gliscor, which would help patch Heracross in that situation.

Having been on the suspect ladder, I made the adjustment of Doublade > Aegislash. While less optimal in attack (just by a bit), he does have very similar special bulk and far more physical bulk, making him a wonderful option. Nothing really changes there other than shadow claw over shadow ball and toxic over king's shield... I guess protect would be nice, but toxic support is special. It is a very special physical wall, but it almost feels like I'm overloading on physical side support. Mixed ape is about the only issue I've seen and I don't really want to run psyshock lati because draco should OHKO and taking out tbolt gives a bit of room for BD azum to hurt me.
I agree with you on the Latias set, it doesn't make sense to change anything. She already does a lot for the team, and changing that up could throw the team's balance off. I'm not so sure swapping Latias for Azumarill would be the best course of action, because then you really open your team up to BD azum. Removing Latias for Azumarill also takes away Healing Wish, which is a pretty handy tool to use on a stall team due to the surprise factor. Not a lot of people would expect that, and you could really turn the tides with of a battle with a well timed full restore.

As for what to replace Aegislash with…I know this is a little weird on a stall team, but you could try Scizor. It's not going to put in a lot of tanking work, but from the looks of what Aegi does for your team, Scizor does the same thing. It'll also have U-Turn support so you can work with a little momentum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)