The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

ENCORE... ah no it´s supposed to be Laga.
Although Safeguard is nice, Encore is just better on a lot of teams.

Alright, the winner for this week is Laga (Just note I'm using the EV spread / nature from the analysis if that's alright with you)
Our next suspect is...

Latios

Happy Posting!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Latios @ Light Clay
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor

The definition of hit-and-run. Usually lead, set up screens and Tailwind and fire off a Draco before leaving. It's real nice against Sucker Punchers because people are used to only 1 support move. Memento is stupid in Doubles, but that's fine, as Latios's nice resistances make it useful for a long time. Screens + Tailwind double three stats at once which is awesome.

This is a great set to counter Rain / Sun too. Slap it on balanced / offensive teams for a fun twist!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Protect

Psych Up and Haze allows Latios to remove the special drop and go right back at firing off full-power Draco Meteors. Psych Up has the added bonus of letting you copy his partner (ie CM Keldeo / TG Manaphy) or opponent's status boosts, while Haze allows Latios to negate any stat drops on his side or stat boosts on the opponent's side.

PS: no haze v_v

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know there isnt much of a difference than standard, and its not a mono attacking monster, but this comes in handy especcially with my team structure

Latios (M) @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
I have chosen to start with standard 3 moves, life orb and the standard ev spread. But i noticed my team didn't need tailwind support nor hitting ferrothorn hard, but it had a bit of a weakness to bisharp (and hitting tran harder helps), so i tweaked a single moves and thus, this set was born. Sash could be used if you are very scared of bisharp, although some will not sucker punch knowing most lati's cannot touch it. Psychic could be used over psyshock or dragon pulse could be used over draco, but thats about it. Unfortunately, hp fighting isnt great iv wise, forcing the speed to be even, but you still speed tie with hp fire latios's. Currently the best spread i can think of is 31 / 0 / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30.

There really isn't much more to say so here are some calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 458-541 (168.3 - 198.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 229-270 (84.1 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
i know a bit petty, but has saved me

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 161-192 (47.7 - 56.9%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO
Otherwise cannot touch it

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 198-234 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 157-187 (45.9 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
Helps finish off weakened ttar

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 151-179 (42.8 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
That doesnt hit too bad either

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fighting vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 390-463 (138.2 - 164.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Not sure how relevant this calc is, but ohkos without spatk drop

Im not saying this is the best set, but should be considered depending on your team

Last edited:
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 398-471 (131.7 - 155.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also Psych Up is cool. I tried White Herb Latios to spam Draco Meteor but it was too weak and people kept switching in Intimidate mons. >.>

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sunny Day

so guess what is actually a pretty cool check to rain? LATIOS. beats bulky steels (HP FIRE!!!!!), beats electric-types which can't touch it (much), beats lots of shit. sunny day to flip the finger at ludicolo and his mexican shenanigans. life orb to blow stuff up, or you could always use focus sash if you're scared of sucker punch or something and you don't have a partner amoonguss. warning: needs some support to blow shit up correctly. warning pt 2: also gets outsped by opposing latios.

I would run anty208s set with a Colbur Berry.
This makes it less powerful than the LifeOrb version but it lives MegaKans SuckerPunch without any boosts and obviously lives Bisharps SuckerPunch/KnockOff, so it gets a bit more reliable.
Whichever item you choose, watch out for other Lati@s that run 31 IV in Speed!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would run anty208s set with a Colbur Berry.
This makes it less powerful than the LifeOrb version but it lives MegaKans SuckerPunch without any boosts and obviously lives Bisharps SuckerPunch/KnockOff, so it gets a bit more reliable.
Whichever item you choose, watch out for other Lati@s that run 31 IV in Speed!
The problem is it limits Latios' already limited switchin opportunities by running a colbur berry since it barely lets it live kangas/sharps sucker punch (they both do 70%+) so you can't even take advantage of Latios' ability to switch in on threats like zard and rain abuers while the drop in power is very noticeable.

The problem is it limits Latios' already limited switchin opportunities by running a colbur berry since it barely lets it live kangas/sharps sucker punch (they both do 70%+) so you can't even take advantage of Latios' ability to switch in on threats like zard and rain abuers while the drop in power is very noticeable.
Zard + Kang will not happen that often though and rain abusers tend to be faster and have super effective coverage every now and then...
To be honest Latios is not the best switch in anyway, whenever there is still some priority/faster threat out on the field.
Colbur is defenitely more reliable than Focus Sash in many scenarios.
I don´t argue against the powerloss compared to LifeOrb, but if you decide to run HP Fighting as a countermeasure its advisable to build your counter in a way that countering does not end with a very common move by your opponent.
So to sum it up: Imo HP Fighting +Colbur Berry is superior to HP Fighting + Life Orb or Focus Sash.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Latios @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (this can be edited if you want some more hp)
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Protect

I know this sounds kinda dumb at first sight, but when you really think about it, Latios has one of the best types to combat most Special attackers in the tier. Fire-, Electric-, Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-type resistances are especially useful for going up against Rotom-W, Keldeo, Charizard-Y (and venusaur), Thundurus, as well as a lot of the phyisical Fighting-types. Calm Mind let's you not only beat these Pokemon, but get a boost to face whatever will be brought in next. For example, Calm Mind Latios beats Heatran more efficiently than HP Ground Latios (this depends on the situation), because it gets boosts for knocking out Heatran's partner as well as wall tran extremely efficiently.

Lum Berry is the better choice over Life Orb on this set, since it gets even better at shitting on Breloom, Thundurus, lucky Heatrans (heat wave brn ;_;), and Venusaur. It also catches said mons off guard (especially Sash Breloom, since it becomes a complete waste) consistently, since some will stay in and try to status it.

Latios doesn't really have much other things going for it than dual STAB + twind or Hidden Power coverage, but I think this set best hits the balance between hipster level and effectiveness., which is what this thread is all about imo.

oh and this thing also kinda poops on rain if it has a partner that deals with scizor / mawile / whatever bulky steel that rain always runs.

>2014
>not running DD Latios

No but for real though:

Latios (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 64 HP / 248 SpA / 196 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe (if running HP Fire)
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

With AV and 64 HP EVs Latios avoids the 2HKO from Zard-Y's Dragon Pulse and avoids the OHKO from opposing non-LO Draco Meteors, still outspeeds Chomp with 196 Spe and maintains an offensive presence with a powerful Draco Meteor of its own.

Makes a really cool partner to stuff like Lando-T as Intimidate helps soften things up on the physical side and Levitate makes it immune to EQ.

HP Fire seems like the most logical filler choice to me for shitting on Scizor (and t-bolt doesn't hit anything notably harder than Draco Meteor that I can think of). Shadow Ball could possibly be useful for beating Mega Gardevoir (who normally hard-counters it) as with AV it can pretty comfortably survive a Hyper Voice or Moonblast and 2HKO back 94.9% of the time while still being faster.

The only real flaws I find in this set are that you do lose some speed and you are even more Sucker Punchable than usual with a lack of Protect, but this set does a great job at checking stuff like Keldeo, Rotom-anything, Zard-Y, and rain (even LO Kingdra Draco Meteor doesn't always OHKO).

Calcs:
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Latios: 264-312 (83.2 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Avoids OHKO and can OHKO back)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Latios: 134-158 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Avoids 2HKO)
252+ SpA Politoed Ice Beam vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Latios: 104-124 (32.8 - 39.1%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Latios: 198-234 (62.4-73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (normally 87.5% chance of OHKO, and Latios solidly OHKOes back w/ Psyshock)
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Latios: 210-248 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Latios @ Life Orb
IVs: 0 Atk
- Helping Hand
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Protect

Sometimes Latios is put in a situarion where it is absolutely useless. All of its attacks dont do much, but you need it to prevent your opponent's threat from switching in on your teammate. Well in these situations Helping Hand is quite useful. If you give your teammates a boost, they can just power though the Pokemon that walls Latios. This can also be benefit to spread move users as it gives them back power they lost through Double Changes ( Lando-T kills Heatran though Shuca, etc). Helping Hand is a fun twist on Latios that can be used in difficult situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)